Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

The way I interpreted it was that they were still trying to decide internally if they were going to bring those characters back. I think the Town Hall was for the purposes of gauging interests in various topics, so that they’d know what the people want to see in a new comic.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I wondered if someone would bring that up.

The stay tuned thing is essentially Sega telling people "We're in talks" during the Archie cancelled fiasco.

If they had outright said "No Archie characters" with no ambiguity, it would have annoyed a lot of people, even at their own panel.

It would be the only thing people would be talking about and for a lot of people the conference would have been bad news.

Nobody wants that to happen who is involved with the comic.

So they first said "stay tunned" then gave the other answer which they then stuck with for the whole panel each time the issue of Archie was brought up.

They'll only ever outright answer this when they're ready to show off new cast/characters, Sega also does this a lot. 

Give some bad news immediately followed by good. They did the same for "Archie cancelled hello IDW."

To be fair, they shouldn't tease anything or say "Stay tuned" to build hype, it's not a nice thing, they should have said "there is no current plans for them/we'll see, we don't know yet", not say "Stay tuned". I'm not even a fan of the Freedom Fighters, but I know how that sentence works.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Kinda does when it comes to writing fiction, dude. 

Nah, plenty of comics offering different perspectives on characters that are shitty. Actually most of the legendarily shitty comics in the medium are people wanting to give characters different perspectives but ultimately not understanding the character and failing miserably

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Couldn't they just.. keep him in a box or something?

I'm pretty sure that isn't legal

11 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

To be fair, they shouldn't tease anything or say "Stay tuned" to build hype, it's not a nice thing, they should have said "there is no current plans for them/we'll see, we don't know yet", not say "Stay tuned". I'm not even a fan of the Freedom Fighters, but I know how that sentence works.

That would be the same thing as saying They should not (sega) say stay tuned on the Archie hiatus when they outright knew it was cancelled.

I am excited. And to those who are a little upset on them not taking a chance on someone new, I get it but I feel more confident in the book’s success with Ian at them helm initially. He has proven himself by going through more crap with Sonic than any other writer.  Its more than possible IDW are priming themselves by using Ian since he has been a dedicated writer and has a track record of working really well with Sega. If you put an unknown player in the driver seat right away, they may end up in another Penders situation. Give Ian some time to build a good base and then maybe he will move on. 

Rather have him prep it for the next writer than have someone else working it out as they go. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

That would be the same thing as saying They should not (sega) say stay tuned on the Archie hiatus when they outright knew it was cancelled.

1. I don't remember them saying stay tuned on the Archie matter, just that they had no news atm.

2. Maybe if they said stay tuned it was referred to the new comics.

The one thing I'm less than pleased about is that the Flynn Haters will be sticking around to hate read the comic and bitch at people who like the new book. So you basically nothings changed on that front.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Well, I dunno about you guys but I felt pretty scammed in a way after they came out of the closet with this, especially after Stadium staff told some things about the matter...

21 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I'm pretty sure that isn't legal

Legal, schmegal, no copywrite law in the universe is going to stop them!

• Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Well, I dunno about you guys but I felt pretty scammed in a way after they came out of the closet with this, especially after Stadium staff told some things about the matter...

well 6 months I had a gut feeling Sega was just waiting to release the news. Why they waited so long only anyones guess is to know. Im guessing taking that time to resolve any and all future legal loopholes someone aka cough cough penders like may try in the future.

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Legal, schmegal, no copywrite law in the universe is going to stop them!

I think that's less copyright and more kidnapping and holding someone against their will

Which I'm pretty sure is a felony

• Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think that's less copyright and more kidnapping and holding someone against their will

Which I'm pretty sure is a felony

Shut up shut up! If I don’t hear you it’s not illegal! ?

• Chuckle 1

I'm pretty damn pleased Ian Flynn is writing the book.

That's my entire contribution to this thread, amazing wasn't it? 

• Nice Smile 1

43 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I wondered if someone would bring that up.

The stay tuned thing is essentially Sega telling people "We're in talks" during the Archie cancelled fiasco.

If they had outright said "No Archie characters" with no ambiguity, it would have annoyed a lot of people, even at their own panel.

It would be the only thing people would be talking about and for a lot of people the conference would have been bad news.

Nobody wants that to happen who is involved with the comic.

So they first said "stay tunned" then gave the other answer which they then stuck with for the whole panel each time the issue of Archie was brought up.

They'll only ever outright answer this when they're ready to show off new cast/characters, Sega also does this a lot. 

Give some bad news immediately followed by good. They did the same for "Archie cancelled hello IDW."

To counter, this is also about the same response IDW gave when fans asked about Ian writing the new comic. I mean, sure, there is a definite possibility that they won't be able to use the Freedom Fighters, but it's just speculation based on hearsay regarding Sega's feelings toward them when Archie rebooted. And even that had the added element that the Freedom Fighters were still the main cast of the book. It would fit with how Sega treats elements from other non-continuity works like X and Underground though (exceptions like the Chaotix office aside).

If IDW knows they can't use those characters and is attempting damage control, saying "we're not sure at this time" or "we'll let you know more about the cast in time" not "we know these characters are popular, stay tuned". You ease the fanbase into that fact, not admit that you'd be dropping a popular element of the series. Barring IDW coming out today and saying they were going to pick up right where Archie left off with the same continuity and numbering, I don't think anyone is or was expecting the Freedom Fighters to be on the same level as Sonic, Tails, and Amy like were in Archie Sonic - I certainly don't want them in that role anyway. But if IDW could have them in reoccurring roles like the Chaotix or Team Dark, I can't say Sega would unilaterally say "no way".

Again, all we can do is speculate at this point. But I think them saying "We know these characters are popular, stay tuned. We're focusing on new stories." and reacting with "Well, that's clear cut evidence that they're gone for good." is overly pessimistic at best.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, chaosjam said:

Shut up shut up! If I don’t hear you it’s not illegal! ?

But you outed yourself in literature on a site people can trace you on

Also your idea might actually multiple felony charges

Ian coming back isn’t a surprise. I’m sure 70% of the fans expected it.  He is a experienced writer but I worry Ian (intentionally or unintentionally) will recreate a world and formula similar to Archie. I hope he can do a completely new take on the series.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I'm joining "mixed on Flynn" camp. I really like him, but I'm ready for something new.

"But he's best Sonic writer ever' Because no one else wrote the comic for 10 years (except for few single stories. And let's be honest, wasn't Baker his equal/superior few times)

"But he's full ideas" ideas that he already used last time word got rebooted. I doubt he kept his A-material for emergency second reboot.

At least that means new comic won't be 'ruined for ever'. My prediction? "The more things change, the more they stay the same".

This pretty much. People demand to know a better writer, yet refuse to let said "writers" try. Maybe there are writers that suck in other comics but good in Sonic. Maybe there are new writers who can write well but aren't well known. I understand the safe-than-sorry thinking, but this was the best opportunity to have a totally fresh reboot. 

2 hours ago, Mister X said:

That's not a mandate. The rule is "Sonic can't cry his eyes out". He can still have emotions.

SonicCantHaveEmotions.thumb.png.c93c523a939f184f52705c2da2c196a2.png

I can imagine some of the fans getting angry that IDW Sonic's character hasn’t changed from Archie’s, saying “but...IDW has more freedom!! Less Mandates!! Why isn't he more emotional??” when they're just keeping him in character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's hoping with Flynn and Hesse on board, the energy of the comics is similar to Mega Drive.

Can't speak for everyone else, but I'd be happy with that

Wait a minute, I just remembered something. A tweet Ian made... he said, of course there are other surprises, but some of this stuff he never imagined would be happening, is he possibly talking about the extended comic/SatAM cast? What else could it be? More freedom?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Nah, what One Piece taught me is cool guys can cry 'till their faces are completely covered in snot and tears.

Pretty much anyone can cry like that and still be as badass as ever. ^_^

23 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

But you outed yourself in literature on a site people can trace you on

Also your idea might actually multiple felony charges

Well, correct moi if I've mistaken again, but isn't this really more of a...

...joke? :huh:

Just now, BlueSky said:

Nah, what One Piece taught me is cool guys can cry 'till their faces are completely covered in snot and tears.

Pretty much anyone can cry like that and still be as badass as ever. ^_^

Not that Sonic shouldn't be more like One Piece in pretty much every way, but in One Piece the expressions are always exaggerated and most of the characters have a dual nature to their design from an emotional standpoint. Sonic is designed to look cool and pretty much nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Shaddy the guy said:

Not that Sonic shouldn't be more like One Piece in pretty much every way, but in One Piece the expressions are always exaggerated and most of the characters have a dual nature to their design from an emotional standpoint. Sonic is designed to look cool and pretty much nothing else.

Well yeah, you're right.

Still it would make a funny Off-Panel if they're making those anymore...^_^

• Thumbs Up 1