Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

SonicPreviewsInterview2.jpg

Also an interview with Ian Flynn regarding the Metal Virus arc and Tangle and Whisper.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Another one

Reveal hidden contents

Love how the pink wisp is copying Tangle.

I want Tangle and Pink Wisp to fuse. Imagine getting hit by Pink Spikes Tangle.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

And is that not what's happeningin the comics? Is Sonic not in a majorly grim senerio? 

As for "Instantly" happy when has that happened ever? Even in Lost World he got pissed and stayed that way. 

No: what is happening is the usual Sonic going all"I wasn't fast enough to save them" used every time and Sonic never truly develops. Even in Lost World it didn't make sense: him being reckless caused the Deadly Six to get control of Eggman's robot,Sonic realizes it...then he makes the same mistakes again and getting Tails captured...his reaction"I wasn't fast enough to save my buddy"...Dude,if anything,if you slowed down and listen to him,he wouldn't have been caught! Being fast and reckless was the mistake,not "not being fast enough".I assure you that once this arc is over,Sonic will complitely forget about it and will make the same mistakes again.It would have been interesting having Sonic blaming himself for not keeping an eye on Mr Tinker and letting Metal go and heck,even having some characters getting mad at him for it.

56 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Eggman pretty specifically has to lose unless you want year 3 to be 12 issues of zombots going "uuugh" endlessly

In this specific story Eggman very obviously has to lose and I'm not sure how this isn't pretty clear

Honestly, I think it could be amusing for everything to backfire on Eggman to such a horrid degree that he is basically forced to undertake the protagonist role. Like say Sonic turns trying to save Tails, and Amy. Eggman thinks he's won, having Sonic under his control...until he finds out that the zombot mutation has gotten so bad that they are completely unresponsive and going after him, maybe leading to even Starline getting infected.

So in short, we end up with a Tails and Eggman team-up to try find the cure to the whole mess. You'd technically get Eggman winning, but only because he's desperately trying to fix the complete mess he began in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, Redbluethunder5 said:

No: what is happening is the usual Sonic going all"I wasn't fast enough to save them" used every time and Sonic never truly develops. Even in Lost World it didn't make sense: him being reckless caused the Deadly Six to get control of Eggman's robot,Sonic realizes it...then he makes the same mistakes again and getting Tails captured...his reaction"I wasn't fast enough to save my buddy"...Dude,if anything,if you slowed down and listen to him,he wouldn't have been caught! Being fast and reckless was the mistake,not "not being fast enough".I assure you that once this arc is over,Sonic will complitely forget about it and will make the same mistakes again.It would have been interesting having Sonic blaming himself for not keeping an eye on Mr Tinker and letting Metal go and heck,even having some characters getting mad at him for it.

Perhaps it could've been salvaged if his haste had also been waved in his face more directly by Zor and Zavok. 

41 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

So in short, we end up with a Tails and Eggman team-up to try find the cure to the whole mess. You'd technically get Eggman winning, but only because he's desperately trying to fix the complete mess he began in the first place.

Just like SA2!

(sent through phone)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

I can get people wanting Eggman to win and whatever

What I don't understand is why want this now

It's a zombie story

Eggman pretty specifically has to lose unless you want year 3 to be 12 issues of zombots going "uuugh" endlessly

In this specific story Eggman very obviously has to lose and I'm not sure how this isn't pretty clear

Nobody wants this now...

The people who brought this up were just tired of Eggman being overconfident...again.

I want Eggman to win now though, short series, huh?

I wanna know how specific a mandate this is, really. The villain needs to be able to make some gains in order for any kind of tension to remain. I’m sure there are loopholes. Didn’t Ian get clever with previous restrictions in Archie? If he wanted to, I bet nothing could stop him from writing around the mandate. There are plenty of ways the heroes can lose while Sonic still wins a fight. You just gotta get more tactical with the storytelling.

20 minutes ago, Badnik Zero said:

I wanna know how specific a mandate this is, really. The villain needs to be able to make some gains in order for any kind of tension to remain. I’m sure there are loopholes. Didn’t Ian get clever with previous restrictions in Archie? If he wanted to, I bet nothing could stop him from writing around the mandate. There are plenty of ways the heroes can lose while Sonic still wins a fight. You just gotta get more tactical with the storytelling.

Sega's more involved in this book. They have to approve EVERYTHING now, so they know when loopholes are being used and they'll put a stop to it.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

They have to approve EVERYTHING now, so they know when loopholes are being used and they'll put a stop to it. 

Except that Flynn never used a "loophole" with that particular mandate. Most of the way Flynn handled to have what is wanted wasn't "he used a loophole to dube the big bad SEGA", it was more often a discussion with them. (TBH, the only type of real loophole that he ever used is using the differences between the text and what was being actually shown… And I think that most of the time, he even got a "well, like that we accept" from SEGA, for instance with how often he managed to draw an half-obscured Classic Eggman). Like how he managed to have Eggman defeat Sonic, or many really bad stuff happening to Sonic (tbh in that sense, I'm pretty sure that the Metal Virus allow a lot of the same). Samewise for Sonic and Megaman being controlled in Worlds Unite. (and no, there is no way that he used a "loophole" for that. It's more that SEGA accepted with some conditions). We had many exampled in the last few years that they can make Sonic loose, suffer setback, etc.

I think that the premise is a lot more "Sonic have to win in the end" not "Sonic have to be an all-powerfull invicible hero that is 100% of the time winning".

• Thumbs Up 5

Sega's more involved in this book. They have to approve EVERYTHING now, so they know when loopholes are being used and they'll put a stop to it.

They already had to approve everything even with Archie. They're the licensor.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think the "loopholes" were ever quite that serious. Less Ian sneaking things around, more things fitting their standards close enough that they accept it.

When I used the word loophole I had Eggman Nega’s treatment in Archie in mind. He wasn’t allowed to make a physical appearance but he was still influencing the story. Stuff like that is so technical it’s ridiculous. Whatever the mandate is, Ian worked it out in the past.

1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

I think that the premise is a lot more "Sonic have to win in the end" not "Sonic have to be an all-powerfull invicible hero that is 100% of the time winning".

Okay. So then it’s not a big deal at all, people are overreacting. Most media that is not Game of Thrones plays by “Thou shalt not kill main character XYZ”.

1 hour ago, Heckboy said:

They already had to approve everything even with Archie. They're the licensor.

The lawsuit changed everything, they already had mandates with Archie but after the lawsuit they were no longer going to tolerate many many things, which I cant blame Sonic Team for.

i dont get it trough Eggman never won in any of the Sonic spin offs, games or shows, Knuckles was mostly the last echidna in the games , these are the standards in the Sonic canon franchise for many many years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice, I really love Tangle, her design, the way she is drawn and acts, her poses, her hyperactivity, she is full of energy. And I know that being too positive can be annoying at times, a couple of characters come to mind in this example, but we really need more positive attitude and Tangle provides that, which is really welcome, plus her moves are quite funny. And she does a better job than the perfectly perfect Sally as a main comic exclusive character (just throwing shade at Sally here).

17 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I want Eggman to win now though, short series, huh?

As in miniseries/arc or as in IDW ending? 

17 hours ago, Badnik Zero said:

He got around before due to having other heroes and villains around to take the brunt of the losses as well. 

16 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Not that I don't see your point, but I would also like to remind you that they not only approved of this arc, but apparently added ideas to it. 

And with how everyone has been complaining about this comic anyway, I doubt anything besides maybe the context of the name Hooligans slipped by them so far. 

15 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

Except that Flynn never used a "loophole" with that particular mandate. Most of the way Flynn handled to have what is wanted wasn't "he used a loophole to dube the big bad SEGA", it was more often a discussion with them. (TBH, the only type of real loophole that he ever used is using the differences between the text and what was being actually shown… And I think that most of the time, he even got a "well, like that we accept" from SEGA, for instance with how often he managed to draw an half-obscured Classic Eggman). Like how he managed to have Eggman defeat Sonic, or many really bad stuff happening to Sonic (tbh in that sense, I'm pretty sure that the Metal Virus allow a lot of the same). Samewise for Sonic and Megaman being controlled in Worlds Unite. (and no, there is no way that he used a "loophole" for that. It's more that SEGA accepted with some conditions). We had many exampled in the last few years that they can make Sonic loose, suffer setback, etc.

Essentially. 

However, World's Unite was likely a special deal. 

14 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

The lawsuit changed everything, they already had mandates with Archie but after the lawsuit they were no longer going to tolerate many many things, which I cant blame Sonic Team for.

i dont get it trough Eggman never won in any of the Sonic spin offs, games or shows,  these are the standards in the Sonic canon franchise for many many years. 

Oh there's been times. Just depends on what you mean by win. 

49 minutes ago, Psycho_Jack said:

Nice, I really love Tangle, her design, the way she is drawn and acts, her poses, her hyperactivity, she is full of energy. And I know that being too positive can be annoying at times, a couple of characters come to mind in this example, but we really need more positive attitude and Tangle provides that, which is really welcome, plus her moves are quite funny. .

That's racist

Egh. 

51 minutes ago, Psycho_Jack said:

Nice, I really love Tangle, her design, the way she is drawn and acts, her poses, her hyperactivity, she is full of energy. And I know that being too positive can be annoying at times, a couple of characters come to mind in this example, but we really need more positive attitude and Tangle provides that, which is really welcome, plus her moves are quite funny. And she does a better job than the perfectly perfect Sally as a main comic exclusive character (just throwing shade at Sally here).

The art team is part of the reason I keep getting these comics.

19 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

But don't you know Sega are literally the Devil and want to stop Ian from doing anything?

Seriously though yeah people overreact to the mandates. They're just guidelines for how Sega want the franchise portrayed and they're honestly not unreasonable things. They want their characters in characters and maybe don't blow Sonic's head off.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Sooo, the Whisper story is starting tomorrow?

Releasing July 31st.

Though it'll be at SDCC so several people can get it early.

SDCC starts on July 18th.

29 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Releasing July 31st.

Though it'll be at SDCC so several people can get it early.

SDCC starts on July 18th.

Then why the heck are they releasing so much on it this week then?

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Then why the heck are they releasing so much on it this week then?

for preorders

56 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1684055830/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=sonic&qid=1562581537&rnid=2941120011&s=books&sr=1-3

Tangle & Whisper’s graphic novel collection will also include the annual.

Great news. I was planning on getting the graphic novel as I get all the volumes in physical (only digital the day they are out), to get all the covers, also because only volumes are released in my country through online stores. So...

I wasn't planning on getting the annual in physical version, but if it's included in the mini-series, it's cool they decided to include it (for a highter price obviously).