Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Omega still being as great as ever makes it all the more depressing that Emerl got so badly done in the last issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Also I see that Doctor Who reference. XD

Are you sure? Saying “exterminate” seems a bit too broad to be a specific reference.

Those third and fourth panels man. :lol: 

But yeah, Sonic and to an extent Rouge look a little weird.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Omega still being as great as ever makes it all the more depressing that Emerl got so badly done in the last issue.

Yeah, Omega is a big reason why Gemerl not being more informal was a mistake.

This is largely a product of one being pretty defined despite his minimal degree of focus whereas the other never actually spoke in their return, most likely.

52 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Also I see that Doctor Who reference. XD

Which is...?

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but emril's last personality was a holdover from another character that got axed via the reboot. Without that direction or connection and more sega game oriented direction... I don't know what else he could be.

Anywho Omega yeeted the shit out of that man

Just now, Shadowlax said:

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but emril's last personality was a holdover from another character that got axed via the reboot. Without that direction or connection and more sega game oriented direction... I don't know what else he could be.

Anywho Omega yeeted the shit out of that man

Yes, his Archie personality was based on Shard's. That doesn't change the fact that Emerl!Shard was about fifty times more interesting than bland robo-talk IDW Emerl.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Yes, his Archie personality was based on Shard's. That doesn't change the fact that Emerl!Shard was about fifty times more interesting than bland robo-talk IDW Emerl.

Why does everybody thinks he has no personality!? He is serious and is committed to protecting Cream

Gemerl's personality could have been Emerl's at the end of Battle, since apparently he got his data back. Still, Gemerl is not Emerl, so idk. He could have been more unique for sure with an actual personality, he's an advanced robot after all, isn't he? I'm curious as to what Ian plans with him...

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Oh I don't disagree. Infact it kinda makes me question the decision to include him in the first place. I don't really think there are that many fans of him and without an entirely other character as a base... he's just kinda a robot. Call backs I guess, I dunno. If you can't do anything with the call back , why call back at all? But hey i'm not writing the book

Just now, Marco9966 said:

Why does everybody thinks he has no personality!? He is serious and is committed to protecting Cream

Because that's not a personality really. That's a goal. And he isn't serious, he's a robot and largely devoid of personality.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Actually, I'm pretty sure that was a coincidence--Emerl's personality in Sonic Battle was primarily based on his observations of Sonic("Your punch ain't got no juice, fool!"), which to my knowledge only wavered or deviated when he encountered Amy.

Shard's personality was likewise made to be snazzy, albeit more cheeky than jive, because he supposed to be growing and changing after observing Sonic's efforts to save Tails from him.

10 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

In one case, it's because he had a clearer personality in his surprise debut during World's Unite than he's had so far here. He had a peaceful confidence about him that made him both apprehensive and yet fierce about having to fight M'EGGaman.

In the other, because he's another robot that turned good, but unlike the egotistical Omega is strictly that--a robot that thinks and talks like a robot. He literally could've just been standing in the corner or broom closet until the Zombots showed up.

Basically, when you have one character that behaves and operates a certain way, you expect another character that very similar to be sufficiently different in some divergent way. 

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Because that's not a personality really. That's a goal. And he isn't serious, he's a robot and largely devoid of personality.

Essentially, which is the issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Are you sure? Saying “exterminate” seems a bit too broad to be a specific reference.

He's going "Exterminate! Exterminate!" man. Seems pretty Daleky to me. 

7 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Doctor Who came out in the 60s, so it’s likely that any death robot using the word “exterminate” is a Doctor Who reference whether the author knows it or not. Especially if the robot says it more than once. 🤖

Also Omega here and my interest in Tangle and Whisper make me really want to get into the comic. I’m gonna make time to go buy back issues this weekend! 

27 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What exactly does that mean?

Without context, that means nothing.

It means Shadow's going to get infected when a Zombot takes a selfie with him, obviously.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

4 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Its nice to see Omega hasn't change much  in this book unlike Amy.

soinc 2.jpg

If anything Amy is even better in this book than shes ever been. Pretty much head of the resistance and she actually puts up good fights when shes written into them. She literally ripped off roughs arm.

Also Omega is gold. Is this a robot. wellllllllllllllllllllll yea........"slams robot into wall*

• Thumbs Up 2

The more Sonic turns before Omega's eyes the quicker he's gonna need to check that box.

Image result for proof you're not a robot

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 7

Omega was gold, as always (maybe a bit less organic that before, but still as Omega as before).

Some spoilerz

Spoiler

Welp, seems that Shadow had to much of an ego here. We're kinda back to pre-2006 Shadow, and I'm not sure it's totally a good thing, but… I kinda like it. It add a weakness to a character that could level everybody else without that. I especially kinda like that he couldn't even think of "being infected". It's pretty logical as he is supposed to be the ultimate life form. For us who know this is a story, it's obvious that he will because it's what make the most sense in a meta way (and even that, we were a lot to say that it should be impossible, so it makes perfectly sense that he know he can't). TBH I hope they'll add a reason that he seems to really dislike run (and that's not just ego here, TBH my idiotic headcanon is that despite what he says, he still have a big case of Maria traumatism and refuse giving up a fight because of that).

I kinda liked how he was angry at Sonic for the invasion though. It wasn't just "I told you so" (I knew that it wouldn't, but I liked it anyway), it was really Shadow being angry of the situation because of Sonic. And I liked that it make Sonic doubt of the situation, and it make think that it's why Eggman will kinda help at the end.

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

TBH, he is for me way more interesting than Archie!Gemerl for one single thing : he is learning. Archie!Gemerl took the idea that his whole "learning to be more empathetic" was learn. Here is is making "robo-sentance", but he is working through a lot of thing. He have a goal, but he is learning the way to do it. He act logically yet is able to learn empathetic things, and even to say "sorry". For me he even have a more interesting personnality because of that. He isn't just yet-another-Sonic-clone-that-even-have-his-personnality, he is kinda more complicated with a lot to learn and making progress. Which make him a more "real" character than the older version. Having a personnality isn't just having some quirks and making sentances that looks human. It's way more the capacity to evolve and stuff. I'm not against "quirky characters" though.

( And there is the fact that making him keep Emerl data is kinda dumb for me, as much as could have been Chaos Gamma if it was "really Gamma". Let the dead character be dead. )

• Thumbs Up 2

Instead of having Shadow having to defend civilians and accidentally get infected, he jumps into the horde and then refuses to run like Sonic to clear the virus. Bad writing for shadoe

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Instead of having Shadow having to defend civilians and accidentally get infected, he jumps into the horde and then refuses to run like Sonic to clear the virus. Bad writing for shadoe

Not necessarily. Shadow is often more offensive that defensive in his way of acting, so "defending" directly the civilian doesn't really make sense with how he act (he act way more as "the best defense is attacking"). A bit part of Shadow personality have always been "figthing until the very end" (it's even a bit mentionned in Sonic 2006 in his final dialogue", and IIRC in some of his theme song too ?).The "he don't run" mean a lot with him that he want to fight no matter what . This time it wasn't a good idea, but a lot of times, his powers and capacity made it worth it, and is related that he never shown a lot of respect for his own well-being or even a tad of sense of preservation. It's not unlike how in Battle he basically managed to make his condition go worse each time he could. Shadow is reckless and sure of his resilience, it's just that we tend to forget that as 2006 added a lot the "quiet" thing to his personality (and now that I mention it, all character are way more "quiet" and "passive" in 2006). That's why I think that they are going full pre-2006 with him. He remind me also a bit of SonicX!Shadow too.

A character being "stupid" isn't « bad writing » in itself, especially when his action have roots in his personality and when the action serve to say something. (I would add that a lot of people have "dumb moment", especially in dire situations, but I think that it's less important than saying something with it)

• Thumbs Up 2