Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

18 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Nah, what One Piece taught me is cool guys can cry 'till their faces are completely covered in snot and tears.

Pretty much anyone can cry like that and still be as badass as ever. ^_^

Well, correct moi if I've mistaken again, but isn't this really more of a...

...joke? :huh:

( i was playing along )

• Nice Smile 1

One question that I wished someone had asked is the status of Bean, Bark, and Fang. We know they can be used because apparently everything from the games can be used. What we don't know are how they will be used.

59da982baab1e_Screenshot2017-10-0814_26_43.thumb.png.efbe323f700bf9edcbe95f1c1983c962.png

Fang in the Archie comics is called Nack the Weasel, and he is part of a mercenary group along with Bark the Polar Bear and Bean the Dynamite Duck. However, recent translations have shown that these characterizations are inaccurate to their game versions. In the games, Fang the Sniper is his true name, not Nack the Weasel. In fact, he is not a weasel at all, he is a jerboa. Bean the Dynamite is in fact not a duck, but a woodpecker. Bark is quiet, but also has a gentle and loving heart, and is shy. There is nothing really suggesting that Bean and Bark are villains at all, they seems to be just ordinary people. I wonder, is Ian Flynn going to stick with the characterization he gave them back in the Archie days, or will he decide to go with something more accurate to the games?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Being someone who came from the series from the classics, UK comic, OVA and Adventure games.
Which all featured a Sonic who's default seemed to be more serious, less happy-go-lucky, I would appreciate it if they pushed his personality more in that direction.

It's pretty unlikely tho, since that characterisation is pretty old and irrelevant these days

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

( i was playing along )

Okay, sorry. You just sounded so serious I needed to become certain. :blushing:

3 minutes ago, Crazy_Diamond said:

One question that I wished someone had asked is the status of Bean, Bark, and Fang. We know they can be used because apparently everything from the games can be used. What we don't know are how they will be used.

59da982baab1e_Screenshot2017-10-0814_26_43.thumb.png.efbe323f700bf9edcbe95f1c1983c962.png

Fang in the Archie comics is called Nack the Weasel, and he is part of a mercenary group along with Bark the Polar Bear and Bean the Dynamite Duck. However, recent translations have shown that these characterizations are inaccurate to their game versions. In the games, Fang the Sniper is his true name, not Nack the Weasel. In fact, he is not a weasel at all, he is a jerboa. Bean the Dynamite is in fact not a duck, but a woodpecker. Bark is quiet, but also has a gentle and loving heart, and is shy. There is nothing really suggesting that Bean and Bark are villains at all, they seems to be just ordinary people. I wonder, is Ian Flynn going to stick with the characterization he gave them back in the Archie days, or will he decide to go with something more accurate to the games?

I would say they are safe with game characters being fair game, plus Ian is a fan of the old characters, especially that trio. As for using their updated info? Who knows, as much as it would be nice to have them accurately used a LOT of people liked them as Team Hooligan, if it's not broke why fix it?

I'm a bit sad that it seems classic themed depictions are off the cards. Especially with Archie ramping up to a Sega Sonic Arcade arc, potentially having more Mighty and Ray backstory etc. Love the expanded classic stories from Ian and how they link in with what's happening in the modern time. Fighters was a great arc even tho it was played out in the present. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Yay! Ian! Starting a brand new Sonic comic after 24 years of reading Archie is a lot nicer having a familiar creative at the helm Familiarity is comforting.

I'm a bit confused as to the amount of freedom Sega is apparently giving IDW. Why would Sega give them more freedom than they did Archie? I figured the mandates would be about the same.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mmh, Sonic was quite "happy-go-lucky" in SA, is was more serious when it was necessary. So I think it'll depend of what happen. (if you look at the work of Flynn during the Mecha Sally arc, Sonic was more serious because the situation was dramatic).

For the Hooligans trio, as Generations and Mania show them as villians (with the wanted posters), and group them, I think that if they come back they'll take this characterization. Webber too showed them in the Eggman side in some of his posts. Coming back to their old characterization, that exist only in an non well known traduction would make their cameos in Generations/Mania quite strange. At least, it seems to be for me the most logical choice.

Well, his Bark wasn't actually that far off the mark in the slightest, and the other two are just species things. Fang is 100% officially a weasel in American canon and Bean was the best guess the English-language fandom had until a few months ago—not to mention Bean really wasn't relevant again to SEGASonic until a few months ago. So I don't think there'd be a characterisation change based on those. You'd have to pull his personality from the bio.

• Thumbs Up 3

TBH, I can do without the Freedom Fighters besides MAYBE Antonie with Bunnie and Nicole, the non-Knuckles Echidnas besides maybe Finitevus (and if they won't use him they could bring back Ix and revamp him). 

Since I doubt they'll do more romantic turmoil, and Blaze is a thing now if they need to have a more respectable lady character so Sally doesn't bring much to a world more like the games. No need for Rotor when we have Tails. I have never thought much of Dulcy. Uncle Chuck doesn't need to be around without the Acorn family. Snively doesn't do much that Orbot and Cubot don't beyond his contempt for Eggman.

I support the Egg Bosses, maybe Finitevus, and maybe Naugus coming back. Egg Bosses for doing something that hasn't really been done in other Sonic Worlds (let Eggman have skilled, loyal or at least too scared to turn against him, and actually characterized subordinates). Naugus for being the Dark Wizard to Eggman's Mad Scientist. Finitevus for letting Knuckles have his own "Eggman" if they try to make Knuckles more of a hero in his own right instead of one of Sonic's sidekicks.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Nah, plenty of comics offering different perspectives on characters that are shitty. Actually most of the legendarily shitty comics in the medium are people wanting to give characters different perspectives but ultimately not understanding the character and failing miserably

...dude, that was the whole point of the person you made this counterpoint towards to begin with when they asked if they knew any better writers other than Ian.

Like, what the hell?

Since I doubt they'll do more romantic turmoil, and Blaze is a thing now if they need to have a more respectable lady character so Sally doesn't bring much to a world more like the games. No need for Rotor when we have Tails. I have never thought much of Dulcy. Uncle Chuck doesn't need to be around without the Acorn family. Snively doesn't do much that Orbot and Cubot don't beyond his contempt for Eggman.

None of that says anything about how those characters are unneeded. Not to mention you are several years behind on this characters even before Archie was canceled.

Sally hasn't been in anything blatantly romantic for the past 5 years (up until the reveal with Nicole), Rotor being around doesn't make Tails unnecessary as a mechanic (and why people think this or that having more than one tech-whiz on a team is somehow overkill is bizarre in itself when they can be made to specialize and work together), Uncle Chuck is more than capable of being around outside the Acorn family (there was no Acorn family in Sonic Underground, as lame as that show could be), and Snively had plenty as a GUN scientist with ulterior motives.

You have anything of actual criticism that doesn't boil down to a "I don't care about them, therefore they're useless?" Because that's not how they or any writer worth their salt works when using a character, and these characters aren't so rigidly defined that nothing else can be done with them, dude.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

40 minutes ago, Crazy_Diamond said:

Games like Generations and Mania say otherwise, so it's safe to say the characterisations are not much of the same anymore. What surprises me is that means the Archie comics actually made an impact on the games.

Now, my thoughts?

Eh. Okay.

We got Ian Flynn and Tyson Hesse. Good stuff, coolio. I'm happy.

Nothing about the comic book itself, or anything else.

Does the comics use that two worlds nonsense? What other writers and artists are coming onboard? I found an IDW artist who's really enthusiatic about drawing Sonic, and wants in, will we see her? What of the SatAM and Archie characters? No restrictions on game content, so who can we expect to see? Team Hooligans? Hard-Boiled Heavies? Honey the Cat? Eggman Nega? Mephiles? Does Sonic's world get a name? Will Sonic Chronicles get an adaptation?

This panel answered bugger all.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Just think, when we finally get to Chronicles we can get a proper ending to the story.

1 hour ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Yay! Ian! Starting a brand new Sonic comic after 24 years of reading Archie is a lot nicer having a familiar creative at the helm Familiarity is comforting.

I'm a bit confused as to the amount of freedom Sega is apparently giving IDW. Why would Sega give them more freedom than they did Archie? I figured the mandates would be about the same.

well if you remember starting out sonic comics had some odd characters and stories throughout. But once the sueing and court issues arose that rope of what they could do shrunk horribly. I think seeing how IDW treats other comics and the near non exsitent taking companies to court probably shines bright in segas eyes.

24 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Yardley has not been approached to work on the comic.

That's a real shame, Yardley had some of the best and emotionally expressive art on the Archie comics. Personal opinion but he was part of the "A Team" I would have wanted alongside the likes of Tyson on the IDW comic. Matt Herms too, wonder if hes been approached or not.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, DoubleXXCross said:

Well, his Bark wasn't actually that far off the mark in the slightest, and the other two are just species things. 

That was my thought as well, at least post reboot.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Night on Balding Mountain said:

Just think, when we finally get to Chronicles we can get a proper ending to the story.

And it might end up leading directly into Forces!  Kill two birds with one stone.

I just hope this comic uses the Archie mentality of "There's only one Classic Sonic universe, and it's simply the past of Modern." No need for alternate dimensions or writing off dozens of Classic games as non-canon.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SSF1991 said:

The Freedom Fighters showed up in Sonic Spinball...

I honestly thought I was the only one who noticed that.  I guess all those "Stay Tuned" made sense.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

So here how I see this:

Bad news: Satam characters (probably) can't be used.

Good news: Ian Flynn is the writer.

Let's see how this turns out.

If for some reason they couldn't get Flynn, who would you guys be ok with being the writer?

6 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

If for some reason they couldn't get Flynn, who would you guys be ok with being the writer?

Honestly, I'd be at a loss.

I'd just see who they picked and hope they do well.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

So here how I see this:

Bad news: Satam characters (probably) can't be used.

Good news: Ian Flynn is the writer.

Let's see how this turns out.

Well. *shrugs* Who else is there?

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Well. *shrugs* Who else is there?

Maybe one of the Japanese writers? 

27 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

I just realized something.

They said that everything from the games can be used.

The Freedom Fighters showed up in Sonic Spinball...

Bye bye, 'Twain.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Freedom Fighters will probably still be in the book, but I doubt they'll be the main focus like they were in the Archie series. They'll likely just be supporting characters with their own adventures that occasionally intertwine with Sonic's/

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1