Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

38 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

You're still ignoring the fact that Shadow knows he can just run to stave off the virus, Sonic told him this. 

I think Shadow misinterpreted what Sonic said.

Spoiler

MhnyjKBjGQTX82cGVaLfPeKNkJpYPVAbtgNG0BYvv0Qi7qN-OrmLcU0dBU5kp-exD6HO_W997UE1Tmo-

I feel like instead of hearing "running fast enough to will the reset the virus's progress when you're infected", Shadow heard "if you get infected, run away so you don't become a threat we have to deal with later".

It doesn't seem like Team Dark knew that Sonic had to run to keep the MV in check since Sonic had to explain it to Rouge.

...also, are we not going to talk about Shadow driving the Mad Convoy from City Escape?

• Thumbs Up 3

Actually, there's one thing that isn't about Shadow's behaviour that stuck out to me, and that's the fact that Sonic still seems to refuse the idea that Eggman turning evil again was an inevitability, not a freak accident. He blames Starline for it, but the guy actually failed to do that (and he was trying damn hard to do so). It was Sonic letting Metal Sonic go free and being programmed to return to Eggman that did it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Actually, there's one thing that isn't about Shadow's behaviour that stuck out to me, and that's the fact that Sonic still seems to refuse the idea that Eggman turning evil again was an inevitability, not a freak accident. He blames Starline for it, but the guy actually failed to do that (and he was trying damn hard to do so). It was Sonic letting Metal Sonic go free and being programmed to return to Eggman that did it. 

Which is fine, neither of them would know that...

Dramatic Irony like this is fine never being revealed to the characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, AphexPhreak said:

Was it fully him, though?  He *convinced* Shadow not to do it, he still had Mr Tinker by the cuff at one point.  He knew Sonic had a point in drawing comparisons to Shadow's past and decided against killing him.  He could have just done it anyways.

I kinda don't like people saying it's all Sonic's fault since he did act within his own reasoning and he also didn't know at ALL what was going to happen.  It's completely unfair for Shadow to fully blame him for this, but I get that he's mad about the situation.

Sonic had convinced Shadow  that he shouldn't kill Tinker, at that point the conflict is over.

And yea, Shadow was being unfair and I assume that was the point, and hence why gets infected.

4 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

MhnyjKBjGQTX82cGVaLfPeKNkJpYPVAbtgNG0BYvv0Qi7qN-OrmLcU0dBU5kp-exD6HO_W997UE1Tmo-

I feel like instead of hearing "running fast enough to will the reset the virus's progress when you're infected", Shadow heard "if you get infected, run away so you don't become a threat we have to deal with later".

It doesn't seem like Team Dark knew that Sonic had to run to keep the MV in check since Sonic had to explain it to Rouge.

...also, are we not going to talk about Shadow driving the Mad Convoy from City Escape?

Shadow doesn't know what gun is, it is an unidentified trucking vehicle. Respect the lore

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

If that's what was intended, then that should have been communicated better.

Shadow misinterpreting his words, especially since he's pissed off at him, is  more understandable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow must've ignored the part where Sonic said "that's not what I meant"...about the running thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was Issue 19. It actually wasn't a bad issue; it felt like it had plenty happen enough without doing too much at all. 

Just a few minor things I wanna bring up:

Spoiler
  1. Not to be too harsh, but this artstyle reminds me somewhat of Bunnie's reintroduction. Shadow was the second most on model and many of the extras looked like they were from something else.
  2. Cool to see Sonic Wind and the breakdance kicks put to use.
  3. Anyone else wondered what happened to Omega's Flamethrower?
  4. Shadowdorf lasted surprisingly long--he clearly grazed some of those goobers at least three times before he Side B'd.

Shoutout to Eli D for that cosplay.

9 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The more Sonic turns before Omega's eyes the quicker he's gonna need to check this box.

Image result for proof you're not a robot

Oh, I fucking hate some of those..

9 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

TBH, he is for me way more interesting than Archie!Gemerl for one single thing : he is learning. Archie!Gemerl took the idea that his whole "learning to be more empathetic" was learn. Here is is making "robo-sentance", but he is working through a lot of thing. He have a goal, but he is learning the way to do it. He act logically yet is able to learn empathetic things, and even to say "sorry". For me he even have a more interesting personnality because of that. He isn't just yet-another-Sonic-clone-that-even-have-his-personnality, he is kinda more complicated with a lot to learn and making progress. Which make him a more "real" character than the older version. Having a personnality isn't just having some quirks and making sentances that looks human. It's way more the capacity to evolve and stuff. I'm not against "quirky characters" though.

( And there is the fact that making him keep Emerl data is kinda dumb for me, as much as could have been Chaos Gamma if it was "really Gamma". Let the dead character be dead. )

To be fair, I think the implication was less him getting Emerl's exact memories and more Cream walking Tails through how to make him similarly caring while still leaving room for him to make his own decisions.

Again, I think the biggest issue (aside from already having that cool interpretation established) is that we also have Omega doing robo speak while also being trigger happy and dismissive. 

37 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Huh.. that makes a lot more sense than him refusing to save himself out of sheer stubborness. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

If that's what was intended, then that should have been communicated better.

Shadow misinterpreting his words, especially since he's pissed off at him, is  more understandable. 

Even Rouge realized this a little too late.

Spoiler

9MRL8gQxNW-BC34-sA2fi_XI79bfhYSD6EUb6-Nk

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Hide contents

Does it show Shadow transform? I'm curious what the design is when we can get a proper clearer look at it.

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I bet there will be a Sonic vs Shadow every arc.

gotta sell those books

11 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Hide contents

“I don’t run...

...I skate.”

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Does it show Shadow transform? I'm curious what the design is when we can get a proper clearer look at it.

It's pretty much the same design as that variant cover.

EDIT: Added the 2 pages before ZS for context

Spoiler

OnBmCAmJvFloT3yDx4jtHSXKLqu88dMNOO_pryEJYLauMUZLtcIeGGLZ-VYF2zt1XLaYJu7ji4jGo-5kCfuaRrfZ0UBO1KmmYwv5rq0ZwWvxpcdXU5nvINfP

1 minute ago, Sonictrainer said:

It's pretty much the same design as that variant cover.

Hide contents

CfuaRrfZ0UBO1KmmYwv5rq0ZwWvxpcdXU5nvINfP

Spoiler

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that the rest of the zombots all have drooping dead like expressions, but Shadow (And the chao iirc) look properly vindictive and ready to lunge at anyone?

• Thumbs Up 1

So seeing the panel people were upset over this?????????? It clearly shows he thought she meant run away to save himself. Not to burn it off

Oh my gasha, Shadow the Hedgehog has spikes now.

...wait a minute...

So seeing the panel people were upset over this?????????? It clearly shows he thought she meant run away to save himself. Not to burn it off

Sonic literally said "...if it happens, run it off..." The first time, so it shouldn't have even been a misunderstanding.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that the rest of the zombots all have drooping dead like expressions, but Shadow (And the chao iirc) look properly vindictive and ready to lunge at anyone?

I was thinking about that too; look at his expression compared to the others

A mostly enjoyable issue...til Shadow showed up and made it dumb. I have no problems with him fighting off the zombots. He was made to be immune to disease. So it makes sense he'd fight them knowing that. But the minute it was actually effecting him...then Shadow was gone and the PRINCE OF ALL LIFEFORMS!!!! suddenly possessed him and he decided to be dumb. Yeah it seemed to be a hamfisted way of getting Sonic vs Shadow again.

Curious as to how exactly the infection worked on him anyways considering his typical immunity, but I'm willing to give the story a chance to explain that in time. It'll bug me if it's never addressed though as it's kinda part of why he was made in the first place.

Not interested in a Shadow discussion for the umpteenth time so if ya disagree as there are some who do, cool but I really have no interest debating on Shadow when it's already a fire starting conversation as is...

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Does Sonic tell Shadow that running with stall the virus?

If he does and Shadow doesn't run anyway...then that would be bad writing.

If he doesn't...then that would be bad writing.

Spoiler

I think he told him before going on a run to Splash Hill(?), which prompts the line, "I don't run. I win."

8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Hide contents

- Female characters are always strategic leader types? First Sally, then Amy and now Rouge? I'd like them to be more of a fighter type.

Well go back to the New252 then, cuz literally the only ones weren't out and out fighters were Cream, Nicole, and Udina.

I see what you're getting at though--Rouge is a smart enough type to be described as somewhat strategic, but from what I remember from the games, she was never really declarative about her directions.

The problem is really that Amy was forced into the role(if you can really even count that).

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

It's this like this that make me wonder if ian hates this character

I kinda doubt he dislikes Shadow himself, but I can imagine him rubbing his head occasionally trying to figure out what to do with him. Well extra friction giving what Sonic Team gives him to work with sometimes.

7 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I think too.

His only goal is to have a "Sonic vs Shadow" every arc, by whatever mean possible

6 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

This is a shame because I love Sonic vs Shadow debates and fights, plus Shadow being antagonistic and edgy, but not a complete douche as here.

Neh

6 hours ago, Razule said:

Someone should've given him the memo that the zombots were indestructible.

He was zapping them initially.

Plus Omega was constantly gunning them down, so...

6 hours ago, DK' said:

Sorry, may you confirm me something?

Do those who have already seen the issue bought it?

That's an awfully specific question.

5 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Hide contents

Shadow is aware one can both run and fight, right?

Yea-heh-heh, that's literally what most of his playable appearances amount! :joy: 

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I was thinking about that too; look at his expression compared to the others

It's weird that they have those expressions at all considering...the animals at the beginning were feral and stuff.

2 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Curious as to how exactly the infection worked on him anyways considering his typical immunity, but I'm willing to give the story a chance to explain that in time. It'll bug me if it's never addressed though as it's kinda part of why he was made in the first place.

1. The Metal Virus is mega muck that turns organic matter into metal

2. The virus is mutating, which is why Eggman can no longer control the Zombots via commands anymore

1 minute ago, dbzfan7 said:

Not interested in a Shadow discussion for the umpteenth time so if ya disagree as there are some who do, cool but I really have no interest debating on Shadow when it's already a fire starting conversation as is...

I'd imagine Eggman took Shadow's immunity into account. From what I see at least, I'd imagine it's unlike a disease where it simply begins to destroy you internally, or what have you. First, the infection looks like it covers your body within a metallic shell, before altering your entire physical self, and then finally aims to convert your mind with Eggman's programming. 

My guess is that Shadow wasn't immune to it because it's been designed to affect organic things differently. Even trees, grass and the like were being converted as well, so it definitely aims down all organics, regardless of immunity to other diseases. My theory is that because the disease first works by literally changing the subject's physical state from organic to the strange invincible self-replicating metallic form the infected takes on, it throws immunity out of the window. In short, I think it affected Shadow by literally overwriting his immunity and changing his body. 

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think he told him before going on a run to Splash Hill(?), which prompts the line, "I don't run. I win."

I kinda doubt he dislikes Shadow himself, but I can imagine him rubbing his head occasionally trying to figure out what to do with him. Well extra friction giving what Sonic Team gives him to work with sometimes.

That statement wasn't serious. I don't think he cares for him that much, shadow's character doesn't seem like his thing. But generally or at least in archie he moved past that to make good writing. I think the only characters he hates are the rogues because story utility.