Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

35 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Huh . I mean " I'm afraid that the characters I like will be thrown into the shitter for the sake of a story i'm not at all interested in " level of penders. That was my constant mood under his tenure, its currently my mood now. Didn't think I would be back here, but fuck it I guess.

Which story did Penders write that was similar to a story Ian wrote?

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Sonic isn't going to turn. Remember. Sonic isn't allowed to lose. He'll probably be able to shake Shadow with help from Rouge and Omega. 

If he doesn't turn then that whole plot point is a joke. All that him being infected has amounted to so far is, once an issue, he has to leave and run around off panel for a bit, and he has to remind himself not to touch anyone. He's still doing almost exactly what he'd be doing anyway, but there's even less tension because it's not like he can get infected twice.

At least have his arm go all Dr Strangelove and try to choke him out or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

If he doesn't turn then that whole plot point is a joke. All that him being infected has amounted to so far is, once an issue, he has to leave and run around off panel for a bit, and he has to remind himself not to touch anyone. He's still doing almost exactly what he'd be doing anyway, but there's even less tension because it's not like he can get infected twice.

At least have his arm go all Dr Strangelove and try to choke him out or something.

I'm willing to wait and see, but...notice how Sonic has not been in any kind of peril since this series started? No moments of weakness at all. 

I know Flynn is trying to work around it, but Sega have been very adamant that Sonic never really suffers anything for the past...9 or so years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

When you think about it, he has to run around almost constantly for days without sleeping or eating...

Eventually he's going to pass out due to exhaustion.  

4 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm willing to wait and see, but...notice how Sonic has not been in any kind of peril since this series started? No moments of weakness at all. 

I know Flynn is trying to work around it, but Sega have been very adamant that Sonic never really suffers anything for the past...9 or so years. 

Again, what about Sonic getting Robotisized during the second Mega Man crossover?

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Wasn't that quickly resolved though?

Yeah, in about a couple of issues IIRC, but it shows that Sonic is not COMPLETELY immune. Maybe he'll be completely Zombotified near the end, and someone else will find a cure.

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I mean he got the shit beaten out of him at the start of Forces so I'm not sure how much that's actually a thing.

And if it turns out they can't "really" hurt Sonic I'd rather they had just skipped this infection thing. There'd be more tension in him narrowly escaping being infected each issue than in the nothing we've got now, even if it was a fake threat.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Ian has been beaming about how happy he is that all the stuff he's suggesting for this story is getting approved. You can hear it in his voice on the Bumblekast that he's positively elated that so much of it is going through. 

I do kind of hope that with each step taken, it could eventually lead to Sonic succumbing to the virus. I'm fine with him suffering through it for as long as he has here but even I can't deny that it'd be the ultimate, "We're fucked" moment if the book went that direction. 

Also, what's funny is that it turns out he didn't know they were going to put a little map in there drawn by Cream. When he found out about Cream's map drawing, his reaction wasn't "Oh this is cute". It was "Oh... this is demented. The people saying this is cute don't know what's going to happen with this map." Just thought that was funny.

I mean, it is kind of fucked up when you really think about it. 

I absolutely like the direction Ian is going. I will say I'm a little biased because I am partial to Ian's writing so I was kinda rooting for this series from the get go, so I'm glad he's getting so much approval! 

I like how dark it has been getting but if he gets permission to go absolutely dark with Sonic's fate? Hmm. I mean maybe they will, maybe they won't. Archie certainly got away with a lot. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

To those who disagree about Shadow's bad writing watch this video now!

The video isn't at all relevant. Here the "problem" is that we don't have the understanding of "why" Shadow have acted, and many theories, but no (for the moment) any "definitive answer". (and tbh for me it's a lot of stuff)

11 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

So drop the ultimate lifeform label 

Honestly, having one technological virus doesn't mean he need to drop the label. With how much "normal" life forms are pretty weak and easily destroyable compared to him, even having some virus weakness while being ageless and nearly-immune to nearly all normal illness is kinda ultimate for me xD

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Also, what's funny is that it turns out he didn't know they were going to put a little map in there drawn by Cream. When he found out about Cream's map drawing, his reaction wasn't "Oh this is cute". It was "Oh... this is demented. The people saying this is cute don't know what's going to happen with this map." Just thought that was funny. 

I mean, it is kind of fucked up when you really think about it.  

Yeah, that's exactly why I love with this map. The map explaining a friggin Zombie Invasion, drawn by a little 6-yo girl ? That's pretty demented xD I mean, having the cute little map with locations and character with big red cross. That's so horrible that's awesome.

• Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

TSSZ review on the current issue: http://www.tssznews.com/2019/07/24/idw-sonic-comic-issue-19-review/

Yeah, to be honest I was really surprised about this, but I should have called it, Shadow has his pride and that was probably the only way it could go. They need to have more twists but also mysteries in this comic.

I also really want Sonic to become a Zombot at the end of the year, but if that's the curveball that'd be really predictable too… so I'm not sure, it's likely the curveball though. Tails and/or Knuckles should be the protagonists when that happens, as well as Silver who foresaw the situation, yep I'd like the writing to focus on other characters, as well as Tangle and Whisper.

Or maybe the curveball could be that there is no cure? The zombots will stay like that for a while, a twist a la Endgame, and the survivors have to deal with it.

10 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Or maybe the curveball could be that there is no cure? The zombots will stay like that for a while, a twist a la Endgame, and the survivors have to deal with it.

Having my favorite character stuck like that would ensure I stop purchasing the book, personally.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Having my favorite character stuck like that would ensure I stop purchasing the book, personally.

Yeah definitely, Sonic and Shadow are my favorites and I don't want to see them as random dead enemies… if they were evil and maybe a bit in control, it'd get interesting. But if they find a cure immediately and restore everyone, would you say that there was a point in this arc?

Anyway, this issue is getting A LOT of attention on twitter too, really a lot, both positive and negative, was this Ian's masterplan?

Simplest curveball would be if Sonic tried and failed to fix everything by end of this year. Except in this stupid age of 3 solicits ahead it's impossible to do, so they just told us it's gonna happen.

Whenever Sonic will be turned is 50/50 (in theory anyway), so either way it's not gonna be plot twist. Zombing him has interesting possibilities, but so is keeping him normal. It all depends on Flynn's ideas.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

1 minute ago, Tangled Jack said:

Yeah definitely, Sonic and Shadow are my favorites and I don't want to see them as random dead enemies

Dudes, you sound like Sally fans during Mecha Sally arc.

3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Except these are pretty much the top two most popular characters in the Sonic fanbase, one of which is the MAIN CHARACTER OF THE FRANCHISE. You can't be comparing them to a relatively niche character with a niche fanbase that isn't even allowed to be used anymore. 

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't know what that sounds like,  I had turned out during all that. But I do sound like when I read marvel's secret empire. Not quite the same moral implications  (they turned cap into a super nazi and made a bunch of characters side with super nazis. It's actually was so bad that they are trying to walk off the moral implications of the story to this day. It's a comic atrocity that kinda went under the radar but its continued effects can be felt through out the fanbsse) but I feel the same.

So I don't know these Sally fans because I'm not fond of that character. However if they wished to purchase the product because they aren't getting what they desire out of it...cool. I want to see my fav character be himself and do cool shit, if he cant do that, why would I purchase this book? When you are creating fiction you gotta like justify the thing you are doing to your audience show why it's worth existing. This issue showed me I may need to stop reading.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not going to tell people how they should enjoy a product; but if your enjoyment of this book hinges on how it treats your favorite character and nothing else, you're better off just reading fanfiction about said character.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm so glad people are having fun at Shadow's expense. 

When was the last time that could happen? 

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Which story did Penders write that was similar to a story Ian wrote?

I don't know, but technically bound to be some. 

8 hours ago, AphexPhreak said:

When you think about it, he has to run around almost constantly for days without sleeping or eating...

He's starting to feel the fatigue and strain as of this issue.

7 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I mean he got the shit beaten out of him at the start of Forces so I'm not sure how much that's actually a thing.

And Lost World had Tails claim to make a computer out of soap and almost start a fight with Eggman. 

Games clearly take precedent as the source material the comics promote and draw from.  

1 hour ago, Tangled Jack said:

I also really want Sonic to become a Zombot at the end of the year, but if that's the curveball that'd be really predictable too… so I'm not sure, it's likely the curveball though. Tails and/or Knuckles should be the protagonists when that happens, as well as Silver who foresaw the situation, yep I'd like the writing to focus on other characters, as well as Tangle and Whisper.

49 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Simplest curveball would be if Sonic tried and failed to fix everything by end of this year. Except in this stupid age of 3 solicits ahead it's impossible to do, so they just told us it's gonna happen.

Yeah, I was about to say, don't we know where this is going already? 

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Again, I don't care for being rude much less callous, but you need to get with the program. Seriously. 

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Again, I don't care for being rude much less callous, but you need to get with the program. Seriously. 

What program. Its a product, product doing something i'm not that interested in, I may not buy product. There was a whole stint in the archie reboot where I did not buy the main series comics because they were boring and quite bad.

That's it. Its probably the healthiest approach one could take. Instead on yelling on the internet and in some horrible cases some fans threatening the lives of the creatives. Also hey if someone is reading who might do that to any creator... fucking don't do that. I mean don't do that in general, threatening peoples existence is bad, but especially don't do that over media.

Anywho instead of doing that going " eh this isn't good i'm gonna bow out untill its cool again" is a pretty reasonable take yeah? There are people doing this with the games? What's the issue here? Should I keep reading this bad thing? I don't really owe IDW that, nor do they inherently owe me to do cool shit with things I like. That's just the nature of creator/consumer dynamic

9 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm so glad people are having fun at Shadow's expense. 

Its not like it happens all the time

• Thumbs Up 1

TBH, I don't get the feeling of Sonic and Shadow being really "ennemis" in this comics book any more than the circumstance making them disagree a lot. Shadow actually was able to listen and finally accept what Sonic said (even if reluctantly) and give a chance to Mr Tinker in the #6, and here... I still stand that Shadow had (in his state of mind) all reason of being angry and dismissive against Sonic. As I said, not only he see Sonic as the cause of that, but Sonic is basically the only one that happen to not being fully infected. And yet Sonic crack a joke at him and say that he is one of the victime of all that… I really can understand why he is here more hostile directly to Sonic.

I think that in future issues where the world will be less in immediate danger with everybody being nearly doomed, they'll be in better terms. Not in all "friendship"-y term like he his with Knuckles and Tails, but less hostile and with a bigger respect for each-other. And I think that Shadow having been infected might be the best way to rebuild their relation, especially if Shadow infect other people. I can see Shadow feel a bit guilty and being more introspective about that, and Sonic being empathetic about the whole "the world was nearly doomed and I'm not 100% innocent"… It could also evolve if Eggman happens to be a part of "helping" to save the world (maybe with Shadow explaining that "that doesn't change him being the one endanger it").

• Fist Bump 1

I think people are less upset at Shadow being a dick to Sonic, and more how it just reinforces this new characterization they've given to him since 2010 as the "Arrogant jackass rival".

I can't disagree, he's basically become a parody of himself at this point.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 hours ago, AphexPhreak said:

Is that a thing Sonic characters need to do? Maybe they've evolved beyond such things.

Shadow was always an arrogant jerk rival, is not something from "2010 and beyond" even back in Sonic Battle Shadow says that he hates the friendship talk and stuff, tries to beat up Sonic to get Emerl... And in Heroes he beats up the other teams just to get to Eggman first. If thats not being an jerk I don't know what that is.

Like guys, you don't even know the characters you like. This is absolutely fine for Shadow.  Specially in a zombie apocalipse caused  by the annoying blue hedgehog that stopped him.

Or you guys want him to not have any flaws which uh thats not how characters should work.

• Fist Bump 1