Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

If him losing in Forces doesn't counr as him being beatable, then him being infected shouldn't count either, honestly. 

11 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

If him losing in Forces doesn't counr as him being beatable, then him being infected shouldn't count either, honestly. 

I do not think anyone is saying he can not be beatable but ACT LIKE IT. Its the fact Sega is so scared to have sonic show some emotion outside the 24/7 happy go lucky vibe. Even in the very FEW scenes where he may show some smidgen of upsetness hes right back to his chipper happy go lucky vibe. Sonic forces he loses but we skip a few months later and he is happy as ever as if he just won the lottery, no worry about the planet , no i need to get stronger, just jokes jokes and more jokes and laughs, But maybe that is more on Sega. God knows they can not write a decent story. Id hope they give Ian a crack at a game with no limits on where he wanted to take it.

• Thumbs Up 2

We're still being pedantic at this point.

There's many issues with the Modern stories that just make them just less interesting and their attempts at drama insincere and unearned.

So yea, theres drama...but it's not good drama and falls flat for what it's trying to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

We're still being pedantic at this point.

There's many issues with the Modern stories that just make them just less interesting and their attempts at drama insincere and unearned.

So yea, theres drama...but it's not good drama and falls flat for what it's trying to do.

Wasn't the original argument that Sonic wasn't allowed to be beatable or have any emotions aside from happy? Going into a "modern stories suck" tangent seems weird.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Wasn't the original argument that Sonic wasn't allowed to be beatable or have any emotions aside from happy? Going into a "modern stories suck" tangent seems weird.

I dunno that seems like a natural progession

That one thing might play into the other thing

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I dunno that seems like a natural progession

It's "natural" in that it happens a lot, but there's no reason for it to happen.

Because it goes like "yeah, this thing does happen, but it's bad therefore it's invalidated."

Which is pretty annoying.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

But not only that , silver who is established to have powers that would not require touching this guy.. can't touch this guy. Now you can come up with all sorts of excuses as to why silver wouldn't be able to touch this guy, and that's your prerogative. However what matters in this case is what the story actually presents, which is no reason. This character who is synonymous with doing the thing that could solver the plot in... 5 seconds...doesn't.

Um, actually, Silver touches him sev'ral timez in that scene.

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Oh yep, no emotionshe never gets worried, he never gets sad, he never gets angry, the modern games are just nothing but jokes the whole way through. That's a totally accurate analysis of the situation and definitely not deliberately ignoring many key scenes.

I almost forgot how awkward Zavok's model can look up close in that game.

But yeah.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Um, actually, Silver touches him sev'ral timez in that scene.

Technically you are correct, he does ram into him like an idiot. My point is though, no telekinesis at all. In every story situation not all characters have to act with the most logic ever. But this is like if knuckles tried to fight someone and tried to do telekinesis and he got punched in the face and knocked out. There's no reason as to why the character wouldn't do , the thing they do all the time. Especially when they are in tense situations.

He didn't do it because they needed the story to go the way they needed to go.

20 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's "natural" in that it happens a lot, but there's no reason for it to happen.

Because it goes like "yeah, this thing does happen, but it's bad therefore it's invalidated."

Which is pretty annoying.

I don't think anyone is saying anything is invalidated, people are saying they think its bad. This era of story telling has the same problems. And that's about it.

If you disagree, that's... ok. I don't think Kuzu is saying you are factually wrong

They do have problems, that's not the point though...because quality isn't the reason those scenes were even brought up.

So it just ends up being a redundant aside. We know how bad it is now, what's the point in saying so if someone isn't exactly defending such and such?

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

He didn't do it because they needed the story to go the way they needed to go.

And because two floating characters with opposite colors ramming into each other looks cooler. 

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

And because two floating characters with opposite colors ramming into each other looks cooler. 

And if Silver could just grab and throw him around when and however he wanted, he'd be OP, and there'd be no game.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

They do have problems, that's not the point though...because quality isn't the reason those scenes were even brought up.

So it just ends up being a redundant aside. We know how bad it is now, what's the point in saying so if someone isn't exactly defending such and such?

Because I feel it's a bit reductive? Saying "this is a thing that happened" isn't saying anything beyond that, so what exactly is the point of bringing it up?

This is why I feel these disagreements happen because two parties are arguing from two entirely different viewpoints.

Like, I don't think this is a complicated topic we're dealing with here, and yet it feels like we are arguing just for the sake of arguing at this point...

2 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Its relating to the QUALITY of those beatable and emotional moments, which yes we all agree aren't very good, but that itself kind of colors our opinions about those moments does it not? Saying "Sonic HAS been beaten before" doesn't hold much weight when the moment itself isn't good does it not? It's like the most damned type of praise; like praising somebody for being able to do something basic. 

And if that's where we're at that point with this series, praising things simply for existing then that really speaks how we feel about the series nowadays. Which, to be fair, isn't without reason, but still...

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Because I feel it's a bit reductive? Saying "this is a thing that happened" isn't saying anything beyond that, so what exactly is the point of bringing it up?

Saying it doesn't happen at all is wrong, so where does that get people?

It can be done better and that's what should be said instead.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Saying it doesn't happen at all is wrong, so where does that get people?

It can be done better and that's what should be said instead.

I feel like people aren't going to give credit because it HAS been done better in the past. 

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Oh yep, no emotionshe never gets worried, he never gets sad, he never gets angry, the modern games are just nothing but jokes the whole way through. That's a totally accurate analysis of the situation and definitely not deliberately ignoring many key scenes.

Thank you. I hate the argument that everything is jokey joke time now because people don't like the recent games. There's been so many times Sonic has been shown to care about his friends and what Eggman's doing but he makes quips so clearly he doesn't take anything seriously. 

And I just realized that that's the exact same argument people make about the MCU. That they have quips so they're all comedies. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Once again, nobody are going to give credit to those moments because they just fall flat in what they're trying to do, and saying "Yea this exists" is the most basic type of praise you can give...

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Thank you. I hate the argument that everything is jokey joke time now because people don't like the recent games. There's been so many times Sonic has been shown to care about his friends and what Eggman's doing but he makes quips so clearly he doesn't take anything seriously. 

And I just realized that that's the exact same argument people make about the MCU. That they have quips so they're all comedies. 

Ideally, those moments would end up impacting gameplay...

26 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Its relating to the QUALITY of those beatable and emotional moments

No it really is about whether they exist at all. This is the post I was originally responding to:

8 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Cause ian at least gives sonic faults unlike Sega who act as if sonic is a god who never fails or gets down.

Nothing about how well the moments were done, everything about denying that they exist at all.

And we can't actually have any kind of sane discussion of the quality of the writing if we can't even get on the same page about the simple, fundamental facts of what actually happens in the story. Anyone wants to hate Forces' writing, hate Lost World's writing, whatever, fine, go right ahead, but hate them for what they actually do and not for what you imagine they did.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

24 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Once again, nobody are going to give credit to those moments because they just fall flat in what they're trying to do, and saying "Yea this exists" is the most basic type of praise you can give...

It's not about praising, it's about putting the facts out there. Nobody's trying to compliment these games, just trying to make sure fan perception isn't actually taken as what happened in game.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

No actually? Infinite looks way cooler when he's using his powers.. so doe silver. Them throwing shit at each other showing each other how powerful they actually are at least IMO would have been way cooler. But what's done is done.

Also did someone just compare the horrible sonic stories to the MCU, an entire series of films who's worst is written more competently than the best sonic game which is why those things arent comparable

9 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Ok fine, they exist.....So what now....

We go back to talking about IDW Sonic instead of rehashing all the same old arguments about Lost World and Forces.

13 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also did someone just compare the horrible sonic stories to the MCU, an entire series of films who's worst is written more competently than the best sonic game which is why those things arent comparable

They compared the most common criticism of both and called them both invalid. The series dont need to be equally good for that to happen.