Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

52 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I hope it won't suffer due to being a 4 parter short story...

That's definitely a benefit, so be wary.

I liked what I saw well enough. I just really like Whisper is all. Blaze may have to move over, there may be a new best gurl.

Read Whisper and Tangle Issue 1; it was alright. It's mostly just setup for Tangle to get involved and accompany Whisper in going to deal with her target. 

Not gonna lie, I thought I was reading FCBD(?) at first because the beginning was surprisingly fresh in my mind. I mean the preview of this issue was how long ago?Yeeeah, IDW needs to quit that already. :expressionless:

In fact, a decent chunk of this issue struck me as stuff we already saw via Twitter posts and shit. Which isn't to say there wasn't stuff we never saw or that it overly messed with what story is here, but sheesh.

Anyway, here's some random thoughts and observations since there isn't much happening here:

Spoiler

• What kinda animal was that green-brown girl behind the boxes?
  • I kinda liked Jewel here.
  • Not-Sonic's eyes are brown.
  • That hedgehog(?) girl reminded me of something. Same goes for Not-Sonic's smile under scope.
  • Wanted to see Whisper slam Tangle when she grabbed her hand.
  • Whisper's mask has a camera in it.
  • Not-Sonic encountering Tangle gave me Scourge vibes.
  • I forgot how high energy the Wisps can be. Little shits d'like to break Jewel's collection.
  • Not-Sonic stole candy from Stratford(?) and punted a Chao.
  • The Blue Wisp seems to be Whisper's answer to Rhygenta.
  • Is Tangle nearsighted as well as addled?

And finally the important stuff

Spoiler

Whisper and Mimic Octopus(A sheep dog named Sheep) used to be members of a group called the Diamond Cutters(as shown on those profile things previously). Mimic betrayed the group in favor of working under someone they're familiar and killed everyone but her. Given how she acts, I can't help but wonder if she brought him into the group in the first place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice discussion, everyone.

).

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tangle & Whisper #1! (of thanks god, change of subject

Stanley's art is great but doesn't have any opportunities to shine (save for one 'geez, that's creepy' panel) and exiting revelations and twists are definitely 'coming

From what again?

With that said this issue is 'obligatory prologue' incarnated. Tangle talks how she misses actions, something resembling action scene and then few pages of exposition and emotions (which aren't bad, but surprisingly long considering how little we still know). Overall I feel like pacing could been improved, at least one more thing should happen.

Essentially.

Also calling it now

Hide contents

Mimic can't hide that strange hole (sucker?) on his hand. Look at that one panel where he waves to female civilian, it's still there.

.I didn't even notice that.

Probably should've picked the recording, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

More things I noticed later after I read the issue:

- The Wisps are really funny in the background at some point, in the museum scene in particular, and just… so cute.

- Tangle is a simple character compared to Whisper who has a backstory and all, besides being polar opposites in personality, also in complexity, they mesh so well with each other.

- As Ian pointed out, the fact that we got official stuff for these characters show how popular they are (and how much IDW wants to push them, but also SEGA acknowledges them), and that's incredible, I mean, so early in the comic.

- But the best observation goes to a review I looked up on YouTube, something I didn't get at all even though it's so evident: I thought Whisper was just too shy to involve Tangle, and wants to deal with Mimic alone besides he's her own nemesis, but she is clearly also trying to protect Tangle, because everyone she knew is pretty much dead, which makes Whisper so sweet.

Overall I'd say this first issue does a better job than Sonic #1 at establishing and setting up stuff, the latter left me... idk, there just wasn't much besides the chairman mystery.

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

- Tangle is a simple character compared to Whisper 

- But the best observation goes to a review I looked up on YouTube, something I didn't get at all even though it's so evident: I thought Whisper was just too shy to involve Tangle, and wants to deal with Mimic alone besides he's her own nemesis, but she is clearly also trying to protect Tangle, because everyone she knew is pretty much dead, which makes Whisper so sweet.

Ya don't say?

28 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Overall I'd say this first issue does a better job than Sonic #1 at establishing and setting up stuff, the latter left me... idk, there just wasn't much besides the chairman mystery.

Hm...that's fair.

The connected covers have been posted!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had no idea it could go both ways! These are beautiful!

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

The connected covers have been posted!

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had no idea it could go both ways! These are beautiful!

Huh. Look at that.

Also, get it?

6 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Does Mimic’s backstory remind anyone of Infinite?

No, it doesn't..

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Who now?

She's done abridged stuff.

Example: Yuffie <--->TFS (Final Fantasy 7 Machinabridged)

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

She does abridge stuff.

Example: Yuffie <--->TFS (Final Fantasy 7 Machinabridged)

Hm.

I did try to look her up and got this

image.png.04b7f7fe4c882e49a08c0709842580c1.png

Don't want to brag but I'm friends with her boyfriend. 

Anyway I'm not currently capable of buying the issue but I've seen people around Twitter having a problem with Mimic having a knife and I...don't get it? Like that's hardly the edgiest thing this franchise has ever done but people are like completely pearl clutching over this.

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Anyway I'm not currently capable of buying the issue but I've seen people around Twitter having a problem with Mimic having a knife and I...don't get it? Like that's hardly the edgiest thing this franchise has ever done but people are like completely pearl clutching over this.

Because Shadow.

Also, pearl clutching?

6 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

People don't like Sonic and real weapons, Shadow's game kinda solidified that, but it was fine for the most part.

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Why would a Sonic character use a knife?

Am I right?

Kekeke

I'm not throwing a fit over it or anything, but a real-ass combat knife is a bit more...well, "real", than I'd ideally go with for a Sonic comic.

Like if knives end up being this guy's thing they're going to be almost completely ineffectual because there's not much you can do with a knife in a fight that doesn't draw blood, and the Sonic series just doesn't do that kind of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Like if knives end up being this guy's thing they're going to be almost completely ineffectual because there's not much you can do with a knife in a fight that doesn't draw blood, and the Sonic series just doesn't do that kind of thing.

Antoine used a sword as his primary weapon for years and there was plenty of stuff available for him to slash through, even when he was fighting flesh and blood squishies like the battle bird armada. Cortez in the unreleased issue also had no issue fighting Sonic and Antoine with only a sword and brute force.

Even if he can't outright stab people, it only takes a small bit of imagination to figure out other ways to use the thing. At the very least, the comic could always use a knife-to-the-throat ultimatum guy.

1 hour ago, knuckles20 said:

Really hope they don’t freak out whenever they see Espio using kunai or shurikens.

Lets not forget that the Archie comics also had a duo of characters who were literally named Razor and Blade and both of them used legit Daggers.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

I don't think there is any inherent problem with knived weaponry like there are with realistic guns. The latter particularly would not play to well nowadays

Oh Goddammit. I guess I should have known some people would get upset about there being a combat knife in the comic. 

I just thought it was kind of funny. 

Is someone gonna drag 4kids out of bankruptcy and start having them make the knives look like crayola crayons and replacing Omega's machine gun arms with super soakers? Espio's gonna start fighting with those fabled ninja weapons of old; plastic spatulas. 

Zombot Apocalypse? More like, "Everyone's just got a pebble in their shoe and they're really upset about it... apocalypse."

I'm just messing around by the way. It's likely not being made that big of a deal. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 5