Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

Really hope they don’t freak out whenever they see Espio using kunai or shurikens.

Oh yeah!  You know, I knew I wanted to remember something. 

My predictions for the rest of the Metal Virus saga, trying to put together the hints we are being given, which continues into next season:

(Spoilered just in case)

Spoiler

- Crisis City part 2: since Ian said the situation gets worse, how can it be worse than Zombot Shadow? Full on Zombot Mode for Sonic too, I guess. There is no other way, also it's the only thing to do in order to make sense of the subplot of Sonic being infected. Also have Shadow being conscious of being a zombie, but more in an evil way, he is angry at Sonic and the Zombot situation intensifies this anger.

- Last Minute 3 parter: the solicits are trying not to spoil that Sonic becomes zomboticized, obviously the focus is on 3 simulatenous stories with the Restoration, focused on Tails first, then Amy and for third I'm guessing Silver? Potentially with a showdown between the latter and Dr. Starline who reveals he is from the future (?). Tails comes face to face with Zombot Sonic and he infects his fox friend. 

- Season 2 finale: With Tails being an evil zombie, there is nobody who can find or think of a cure, which means that (apparently) the Zombots will stay like that, at least for a good while, pulling an Avengers Endgame "twist". Knuckles debuts (I mean, he was mentioned at the beginning of the arc, plus he is on the map made by Cream). After being evil for a while, Sonic regains consciousness and control but stays a zombot. This is the big cliffhanger in my opinion.

- First half of Season 3: Knuckles comes back from Angel Island, as the place is in the sky, it wasn't infected, and Big and Sticks are introduced as well since they live in the jungle and they haven't heard of the zombot apocalypse (although Sticks trained for her entire life for this moment), and they lead the survivor pack. I'm also gonna take a guess and say every minor and background animal becomes a zombot, leaving only few main characters as sane.

- Starline: he obviously betrays Eggman, now I'm not sure who kicks the other one out of the Mini-Ark, whoever it is will form an alliance with Sonic and the survivors and, since the Metal Virus was made with the power source of the Chaos Emeralds, they are the key to restore everyone. Sonic sets a trap and uses the usual "mask" plot device: he pretends to be an evil zombot again and infiltrates the Mini-Ark, stealing the emeralds, he becomes Super Sonic and with a huge Chaos Control restores the world and its people.

… I have no idea on how this leads to the next arc. Possibly an arc with Starline has an independent villain?

So these are my (very specific) ideas on how to end and improve the arc, they would make it awesome for me. Also, I'm not sure on whether Rough and Tumble are dead, but likely not... What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

- Last Minute 3 parter: the solicits are trying not to spoil that Sonic becomes zomboticized, obviously the focus is on 3 simulatenous stories with the Restoration

That would be awesome!

I want Sonic to be infected but I think It'd be weird to take up that angle this late in an arc That's been about him and his perspective. They probably should have set up whoever they wanted to take over and finish the job more in the story instead of jumping between so many characters. 

I expect Knuckles to play a key role in turning things around but I'm not sure if anything crazy like a timeskip will happen.

2 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

My predictions for the rest of the Metal Virus saga, trying to put together the hints we are being given, which continues into next season:

(Spoilered just in case)

Hide contents

- Crisis City part 2: since Ian said the situation gets worse, how can it be worse than Zombot Shadow? Full on Zombot Mode for Sonic too, I guess. There is no other way, also it's the only thing to do in order to make sense of the subplot of Sonic being infected. Also have Shadow being conscious of being a zombie, but more in an evil way, he is angry at Sonic and the Zombot situation intensifies this anger.

- Last Minute 3 parter: the solicits are trying not to spoil that Sonic becomes zomboticized, obviously the focus is on 3 simulatenous stories with the Restoration, focused on Tails first, then Amy and for third I'm guessing Silver? Potentially with a showdown between the latter and Dr. Starline who reveals he is from the future (?). Tails comes face to face with Zombot Sonic and he infects his fox friend. 

- Season 2 finale: With Tails being an evil zombie, there is nobody who can find or think of a cure, which means that (apparently) the Zombots will stay like that, at least for a good while, pulling an Avengers Endgame "twist". Knuckles debuts (I mean, he was mentioned at the beginning of the arc, plus he is on the map made by Cream). After being evil for a while, Sonic regains consciousness and control but stays a zombot. This is the big cliffhanger in my opinion.

- First half of Season 3: Knuckles comes back from Angel Island, as the place is in the sky, it wasn't infected, and Big and Sticks are introduced as well since they live in the jungle and they haven't heard of the zombot apocalypse (although Sticks trained for her entire life for this moment), and they lead the survivor pack. I'm also gonna take a guess and say every minor and background animal becomes a zombot, leaving only few main characters as sane.

- Starline: he obviously betrays Eggman, now I'm not sure who kicks the other one out of the Mini-Ark, whoever it is will form an alliance with Sonic and the survivors and, since the Metal Virus was made with the power source of the Chaos Emeralds, they are the key to restore everyone. Sonic sets a trap and uses the usual "mask" plot device: he pretends to be an evil zombot again and infiltrates the Mini-Ark, stealing the emeralds, he becomes Super Sonic and with a huge Chaos Control restores the world and its people.

… I have no idea on how this leads to the next arc. Possibly an arc with Starline has an independent villain?

So these are my (very specific) ideas on how to end and improve the arc, they would make it awesome for me. Also, I'm not sure on whether Rough and Tumble are dead, but likely not... What do you think?

Here's my thoughts on some of this:

Sonic

Spoiler

transforming  is indeed certain, since he's been infected for a while, had numerous close calls, and is beginning to feel fatigue. Add in being stuck in the city with Goo-zombie Shadow's hands on him and his survival is slim to none.

Tails

Spoiler

transforming is likely in the cards, since he and Whisper are noticeably absent in the latest solicit. 

Knuckles

Spoiler

teaming up with Big and Sticks(Team Wild?) to try and organize a survivor group is an idea I like, but it's somewhat wishful thinking.

Rough n Tumble,

Spoiler

they are likely alive. Mr. Flynn described they're transformation as a major development for their characters, so I'm guessing they 

a. stop trusting Eggman himself after being restored.

b. change their ways entirely after being restored.

c. are the ones to regain consciousness, but maintain a sterile version of these forms.

Shadow

Spoiler

and/or Sonic regaining or maintain some level of sentience is pretty farfetched. Outside of "because Main Character," it'd be a seriously [negative] out of left field development. 

Starline

Spoiler

betraying or at least vacating from Eggman would be a decently paced result. However, him being from the future has been made somewhat unlikely by his heart to heart with Orbot. I can still see some sort of rematch between him and Silver, though.

As for the possible solution,

Spoiler

I must admit I didn't think about or even remember the Chaos Emeralds being literally involved in the mix. Which sets something else neat up, potentially.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

I want Sonic to be infected but I think It'd be weird to take up that angle this late in an arc That's been about him and his perspective. They probably should have set up whoever they wanted to take over and finish the job more in the story instead of jumping between so many characters. 

I expect Knuckles to play a key role in turning things around but I'm not sure if anything crazy like a timeskip will happen.

Fair point, although it does continue on into 2020.

Here is the mimic octopus, the real-life inspiration for the new villain:

"This octopus was discovered in 1998 off the coast of an Indonesian island, and is perhaps the greatest shape-shifter of all. It is the only animal able to mimic a diverse range of species – at least 13 have been recorded so far – including lion fish, sea snakes, jellyfish and sea anemones.

Most of the impersonated species are poisonous, giving the mimic octopus protection from predators, but it is also known to imitate crabs, luring them in before feasting on them. The mimic octopus has remarkable dexterity, being capable of changing its colour, behaviour, shape and texture, and can alter its mimickry according to the circumstances."

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/21/2019 at 10:28 AM, Sonictrainer said:

Some fanart from JoeAdok.

ddarak6-2c9c22ec-938d-4fa9-bdd0-53f4aa14

That's a good one. That's really a good one. 😂

31 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

This will be interesting.

With out shadows personality that might as well be metal sonic. This interests me none, good art though

Just now, StaticMania said:

Metal Sonic's better than Sonic though, so clearly this will be a more even fight.

Normal Metal Sonic is nothing compared to any of the cast at this point. They could break him by looking at him.

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

But he's still faster.

Sonic Adventure 2 taught me this.

It sucks though that he's not stronger.

You are right, and he has a cool black shield. I'm sorry I doubted you

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Black Shields aren't canon.

They are infact the most canon. How dare you

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Could Starline and Mimic be from the same crew?? (the circles on their hands)

I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

This will be interesting.

Why? Because they said so? 

😜 

Also, hi Endangered Species. 

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Here is the mimic octopus, the real-life inspiration for the new villain:

"This octopus was discovered in 1998 off the coast of an Indonesian island, and is perhaps the greatest shape-shifter of all. It is the only animal able to mimic a diverse range of species – at least 13 have been recorded so far – including lion fish, sea snakes, jellyfish and sea anemones.

Most of the impersonated species are poisonous, giving the mimic octopus protection from predators, but it is also known to imitate crabs, luring them in before feasting on them. The mimic octopus has remarkable dexterity, being capable of changing its colour, behaviour, shape and texture, and can alter its mimickry according to the circumstances."

Oh yeah, a video aid would've been nice earlier. Good on ya! 

Funny that the real thing seems mighty fearful, though. 

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

But he's still faster.

Sonic Adventure 2 taught me this.

It sucks though that he's not stronger.

He'll, wasn't that made explicit before that? 

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Black Shields aren't canon.

Says Chef. 

I'll be the contrarian I guess and say I'm not at all interested in this fight. It's somehow even less interesting than the purple Vegetgoo in the DBS filler arc. At least that while bad had a few things going for it to not make it quite the standard affair. If the Zombot virus somehow allows us to experience a wickeder side of Shadow, maybe it might be worth it then....but a voiceless Zombot Shadow is not interesting on its own. I'd take the fight for Mr. Tinker over that as it at least had some morals and ideals clashing. So there was more to it to be invested in. This just feels like an excuse to have them fight because super fast hedgehogs must fight each other.

Is that image above from the book actually or fan art? I hope the latter is it as it's really giving me the vibes from I'm pretty sure you know where.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/3/2019 at 8:18 AM, dbzfan7 said:

I'll be the contrarian I guess and say I'm not at all interested in this fight. It's somehow even less interesting than the purple Vegetgoo in the DBS filler arc.

Would it be better if they got David Humprey back?

Finally got around to reading Tangle and Whisper 1 and it was alright I guess. I feel like it's a bit too disjointed from the current on-going arc in the main comic, and the issue itself focused a little too much on just setting up the story in the next three issues. 

Being fair to it, I'd imagine reading back through it via GN, or all four issues when released will help with it though, but the pacing felt a little off to me, by the time the issue was over, it felt like we'd only really just got through the exposition of getting Tangle and Whisper together and who the bad guy is.

Still, I liked seeing Whisper and Tangle interact a bit more, I liked seeing Mimic's goofball attempts at being Sonic, and Whisper's reluctance at letting Tangle join her is intriguing me. That said, I really hope we can get some answers regarding some of the mainline plot points (Mainly what Shadow did during Forces that caused Whisper to distrust him), and I hope we might see some events of the main comic leak into this (Maybe Tangle and Whisper chasing Mimic through an infected village or something? idk). 

21 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Finally got around to reading Tangle and Whisper 1 and it was alright I guess. I feel like it's a bit too disjointed from the current on-going arc in the main comic, and the issue itself focused a little too much on just setting up the story in the next three issues. 

Being fair to it, I'd imagine reading back through it via GN, or all four issues when released will help with it though, but the pacing felt a little off to me, by the time the issue was over, it felt like we'd only really just got through the exposition of getting Tangle and Whisper together and who the bad guy is.

Still, I liked seeing Whisper and Tangle interact a bit more, I liked seeing Mimic's goofball attempts at being Sonic, and Whisper's reluctance at letting Tangle join her is intriguing me. That said, I really hope we can get some answers regarding some of the mainline plot points (Mainly what Shadow did during Forces that caused Whisper to distrust him), and I hope we might see some events of the main comic leak into this (Maybe Tangle and Whisper chasing Mimic through an infected village or something? idk). 

The miniseries takes place before Tangle walks into Tails' house.