Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm not throwing a fit over it or anything, but a real-ass combat knife is a bit more...well, "real", than I'd ideally go with for a Sonic comic.

Like if knives end up being this guy's thing they're going to be almost completely ineffectual because there's not much you can do with a knife in a fight that doesn't draw blood, and the Sonic series just doesn't do that kind of thing.

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Like if knives end up being this guy's thing they're going to be almost completely ineffectual because there's not much you can do with a knife in a fight that doesn't draw blood, and the Sonic series just doesn't do that kind of thing.

Antoine used a sword as his primary weapon for years and there was plenty of stuff available for him to slash through, even when he was fighting flesh and blood squishies like the battle bird armada. Cortez in the unreleased issue also had no issue fighting Sonic and Antoine with only a sword and brute force.

Even if he can't outright stab people, it only takes a small bit of imagination to figure out other ways to use the thing. At the very least, the comic could always use a knife-to-the-throat ultimatum guy.

1 hour ago, knuckles20 said:

Really hope they don’t freak out whenever they see Espio using kunai or shurikens.

Lets not forget that the Archie comics also had a duo of characters who were literally named Razor and Blade and both of them used legit Daggers.

Oh Goddammit. I guess I should have known some people would get upset about there being a combat knife in the comic. 

I just thought it was kind of funny. 

Is someone gonna drag 4kids out of bankruptcy and start having them make the knives look like crayola crayons and replacing Omega's machine gun arms with super soakers? Espio's gonna start fighting with those fabled ninja weapons of old; plastic spatulas. 

Zombot Apocalypse? More like, "Everyone's just got a pebble in their shoe and they're really upset about it... apocalypse."

I'm just messing around by the way. It's likely not being made that big of a deal. 

8 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

Really hope they don’t freak out whenever they see Espio using kunai or shurikens.

Oh yeah!  You know, I knew I wanted to remember something. 

My predictions for the rest of the Metal Virus saga, trying to put together the hints we are being given, which continues into next season:

(Spoilered just in case)

Spoiler

- Crisis City part 2: since Ian said the situation gets worse, how can it be worse than Zombot Shadow? Full on Zombot Mode for Sonic too, I guess. There is no other way, also it's the only thing to do in order to make sense of the subplot of Sonic being infected. Also have Shadow being conscious of being a zombie, but more in an evil way, he is angry at Sonic and the Zombot situation intensifies this anger.

- Last Minute 3 parter: the solicits are trying not to spoil that Sonic becomes zomboticized, obviously the focus is on 3 simulatenous stories with the Restoration, focused on Tails first, then Amy and for third I'm guessing Silver? Potentially with a showdown between the latter and Dr. Starline who reveals he is from the future (?). Tails comes face to face with Zombot Sonic and he infects his fox friend. 

- Season 2 finale: With Tails being an evil zombie, there is nobody who can find or think of a cure, which means that (apparently) the Zombots will stay like that, at least for a good while, pulling an Avengers Endgame "twist". Knuckles debuts (I mean, he was mentioned at the beginning of the arc, plus he is on the map made by Cream). After being evil for a while, Sonic regains consciousness and control but stays a zombot. This is the big cliffhanger in my opinion.

- First half of Season 3: Knuckles comes back from Angel Island, as the place is in the sky, it wasn't infected, and Big and Sticks are introduced as well since they live in the jungle and they haven't heard of the zombot apocalypse (although Sticks trained for her entire life for this moment), and they lead the survivor pack. I'm also gonna take a guess and say every minor and background animal becomes a zombot, leaving only few main characters as sane.

- Starline: he obviously betrays Eggman, now I'm not sure who kicks the other one out of the Mini-Ark, whoever it is will form an alliance with Sonic and the survivors and, since the Metal Virus was made with the power source of the Chaos Emeralds, they are the key to restore everyone. Sonic sets a trap and uses the usual "mask" plot device: he pretends to be an evil zombot again and infiltrates the Mini-Ark, stealing the emeralds, he becomes Super Sonic and with a huge Chaos Control restores the world and its people.

… I have no idea on how this leads to the next arc. Possibly an arc with Starline has an independent villain?

So these are my (very specific) ideas on how to end and improve the arc, they would make it awesome for me. Also, I'm not sure on whether Rough and Tumble are dead, but likely not... What do you think?

1 minute ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

- Last Minute 3 parter: the solicits are trying not to spoil that Sonic becomes zomboticized, obviously the focus is on 3 simulatenous stories with the Restoration

That would be awesome!

I want Sonic to be infected but I think It'd be weird to take up that angle this late in an arc That's been about him and his perspective. They probably should have set up whoever they wanted to take over and finish the job more in the story instead of jumping between so many characters. 

I expect Knuckles to play a key role in turning things around but I'm not sure if anything crazy like a timeskip will happen.

2 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

My predictions for the rest of the Metal Virus saga, trying to put together the hints we are being given, which continues into next season:

(Spoilered just in case)

Hide contents

- Crisis City part 2: since Ian said the situation gets worse, how can it be worse than Zombot Shadow? Full on Zombot Mode for Sonic too, I guess. There is no other way, also it's the only thing to do in order to make sense of the subplot of Sonic being infected. Also have Shadow being conscious of being a zombie, but more in an evil way, he is angry at Sonic and the Zombot situation intensifies this anger.

- Last Minute 3 parter: the solicits are trying not to spoil that Sonic becomes zomboticized, obviously the focus is on 3 simulatenous stories with the Restoration, focused on Tails first, then Amy and for third I'm guessing Silver? Potentially with a showdown between the latter and Dr. Starline who reveals he is from the future (?). Tails comes face to face with Zombot Sonic and he infects his fox friend. 

- Season 2 finale: With Tails being an evil zombie, there is nobody who can find or think of a cure, which means that (apparently) the Zombots will stay like that, at least for a good while, pulling an Avengers Endgame "twist". Knuckles debuts (I mean, he was mentioned at the beginning of the arc, plus he is on the map made by Cream). After being evil for a while, Sonic regains consciousness and control but stays a zombot. This is the big cliffhanger in my opinion.

- First half of Season 3: Knuckles comes back from Angel Island, as the place is in the sky, it wasn't infected, and Big and Sticks are introduced as well since they live in the jungle and they haven't heard of the zombot apocalypse (although Sticks trained for her entire life for this moment), and they lead the survivor pack. I'm also gonna take a guess and say every minor and background animal becomes a zombot, leaving only few main characters as sane.

- Starline: he obviously betrays Eggman, now I'm not sure who kicks the other one out of the Mini-Ark, whoever it is will form an alliance with Sonic and the survivors and, since the Metal Virus was made with the power source of the Chaos Emeralds, they are the key to restore everyone. Sonic sets a trap and uses the usual "mask" plot device: he pretends to be an evil zombot again and infiltrates the Mini-Ark, stealing the emeralds, he becomes Super Sonic and with a huge Chaos Control restores the world and its people.

… I have no idea on how this leads to the next arc. Possibly an arc with Starline has an independent villain?

So these are my (very specific) ideas on how to end and improve the arc, they would make it awesome for me. Also, I'm not sure on whether Rough and Tumble are dead, but likely not... What do you think?

Here's my thoughts on some of this:

Sonic

Spoiler

transforming  is indeed certain, since he's been infected for a while, had numerous close calls, and is beginning to feel fatigue. Add in being stuck in the city with Goo-zombie Shadow's hands on him and his survival is slim to none.

Tails

Spoiler

transforming is likely in the cards, since he and Whisper are noticeably absent in the latest solicit. 

Knuckles

Spoiler

teaming up with Big and Sticks(Team Wild?) to try and organize a survivor group is an idea I like, but it's somewhat wishful thinking.

Rough n Tumble,

Spoiler

they are likely alive. Mr. Flynn described they're transformation as a major development for their characters, so I'm guessing they 

a. stop trusting Eggman himself after being restored.

b. change their ways entirely after being restored.

c. are the ones to regain consciousness, but maintain a sterile version of these forms.

Shadow

Spoiler

and/or Sonic regaining or maintain some level of sentience is pretty farfetched. Outside of "because Main Character," it'd be a seriously [negative] out of left field development. 

Starline

Spoiler

betraying or at least vacating from Eggman would be a decently paced result. However, him being from the future has been made somewhat unlikely by his heart to heart with Orbot. I can still see some sort of rematch between him and Silver, though.

As for the possible solution,

Spoiler

I must admit I didn't think about or even remember the Chaos Emeralds being literally involved in the mix. Which sets something else neat up, potentially.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

I want Sonic to be infected but I think It'd be weird to take up that angle this late in an arc That's been about him and his perspective. They probably should have set up whoever they wanted to take over and finish the job more in the story instead of jumping between so many characters. 

I expect Knuckles to play a key role in turning things around but I'm not sure if anything crazy like a timeskip will happen.

Fair point, although it does continue on into 2020.

Here is the mimic octopus, the real-life inspiration for the new villain:

"This octopus was discovered in 1998 off the coast of an Indonesian island, and is perhaps the greatest shape-shifter of all. It is the only animal able to mimic a diverse range of species – at least 13 have been recorded so far – including lion fish, sea snakes, jellyfish and sea anemones.

Most of the impersonated species are poisonous, giving the mimic octopus protection from predators, but it is also known to imitate crabs, luring them in before feasting on them. The mimic octopus has remarkable dexterity, being capable of changing its colour, behaviour, shape and texture, and can alter its mimickry according to the circumstances."

Just now, StaticMania said:

Metal Sonic's better than Sonic though, so clearly this will be a more even fight.

Normal Metal Sonic is nothing compared to any of the cast at this point. They could break him by looking at him.

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

But he's still faster.

Sonic Adventure 2 taught me this.

It sucks though that he's not stronger.

You are right, and he has a cool black shield. I'm sorry I doubted you