Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

You got that from the first three pages?

Yeah, it could get better but shadow not being able to speak removes most of the interest of a shadow fight. Unless it gets amazing  dont expect much else. Even sonic himself comments on it

6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

How do you guys feel about Sonic making fun of a zombified Shadow? I don't like it too much

Good in theory but it doesn't land for me in this particular instance. Clunky wording and Sonic's expression isn't selling his attitude.

6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

How do you guys feel about Sonic making fun of a zombified Shadow? I don't like it too much

It's pretty meh because there's no particularly use to it. Shadow is a zombot, and unable to understand a word that Sonic says. There's no point of Sonic trying to mock him as being weaker because it has as much effect as talking to a brick wall. At this point, it serves no real purpose other than flavour text, with no rhyme or reason in-story. Out of the story, it exists to give us exposition that Shadow isn't playing at his full game here.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Good in theory but it doesn't land for me in this particular instance. Clunky wording and Sonic's expression isn't selling his attitude.

I think he's supposed to be spooked, and the subsequently relieved he is fighting just an evil full powered shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah but it doesn't really match. The dialogue is struggling but defiant, but his expression is just worried.

45 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Yeah but it doesn't really match. The dialogue is struggling but defiant, but his expression is just worried.

I think that's the point? Like before where he was telling himself things are gonna be fine. It feels like they are trying to write sonic more like spiderman , where as his jokes and jabs are just a means to keep him sane. Which is I think a pretty good way to write sonic all things considered. So yeah he's trying to talk smack, because he's scared. Then a bit relieved, he doesn't have to fight a full powered no moral shadow zombie. That bit is actually fine.

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That fight is as uninteresting as I thought it would be.

Eh, he can't even reallyy... I guess this is my whole issue. Like now its the other end right? You can't call shadow out because shadow can literally default on " This literally wouldn't have happened if eggman was dead " because he would be right.

People talk shit even when they aren't right all the time.

Just now, Wraith said:

People talk shit even when they aren't right all the time.

What's to gain. Like , ok. If this was like, I dunno about something less serious , cool. Sonic talking shit about this after the fact would kind of make him look like a sociopath. The entire beginning of this narrative comes out of a " right to life " question spurred into zombie apocalypse. The entire basis of this beef is on some super serious stuff, you gotta like treat it as such. If the characters involved aren't, it makes it feel like the story doesn't actually matter and the characters will come off like sociopaths. Its why I didn't like the start of the story at all. Because the nature of the characters and how they need to be will render it a thing that doesn't really matter nor can it trick the audience into thinking it does.

That's my whole issue right now, nothing seems like it matters.

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

What's to gain. Like , ok. If this was like, I dunno about something less serious , cool. Sonic talking shit about this after the fact would kind of make him look like a sociopath. The entire beginning of this narrative comes out of a " right to life " question spurred into zombie apocalypse. The entire basis of this beef is on some super serious stuff, you gotta like treat it as such. If the characters involved aren't, it makes it feel like the story doesn't actually matter and the characters will come off like sociopaths. Its why I didn't like the start of the story at all. Because the nature of the characters and how they need to be will render it a thing that doesn't really matter nor can it trick the audience into thinking it does.

That's my whole issue right now, nothing seems like it matters.

I agree with your wider point about this arc feeling kinda weightless but I dont think Sonic talking shit in a tense situation is a sign of anything but him being himself.

Just now, Wraith said:

I agree with your wider point about this arc feeling kinda weightless but I dont think Sonic talking shit in a tense situation is a sign of anything but him being himself.

I agree with you? I tihnk I may have been arguing a hypothetical point you weren't making. I'm sorry.

I'm pretty interested to see what they'll do with this issue, what will arise from this battle.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Shadow is a zombot, and unable to understand a word that Sonic says. There's no point of Sonic trying to mock him as being weaker because it has as much effect as talking to a brick wall.

It wouldn't be the first time that Sonic talked to something that can't understand or really react to him though (and I'm not talking about the "Sonic is talking to a dead robot" joke from Colors). I feel that it's pretty in character to him to talk to someone even if that person can't understand him. Like Shadowlax said, I think it's kinda him talking to reassure himself.

17 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I'm pretty interested to see what they'll do with this issue, what will arise from this battle.

It wouldn't be the first time that Sonic talked to something that can't understand or really react to him though (and I'm not talking about the "Sonic is talking to a dead robot" joke from Colors). I feel that it's pretty in character to him to talk to someone even if that person can't understand him. Like Shadowlax said, I think it's kinda him talking to reassure himself.

What do you like to see after the zombot arc ends?

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I think that's the point? Like before where he was telling himself things are gonna be fine. It feels like they are trying to write sonic more like spiderman , where as his jokes and jabs are just a means to keep him sane. Which is I think a pretty good way to write sonic all things considered. So yeah he's trying to talk smack, because he's scared.

I'm all for Sonic being put off balance, I'm all for his snarky jabs being a way of psyching himself up, but even in that case I can't see the first two speech bubbles coming out of someone looking that worried. His expression should show both sides, his fear and his fight against it, and as is it simply doesn't. They should've gone with a pained smirk or something.

52 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

A simpler, more character-centred arc to breath after the big event. And after that another thing a bit unexpected for a Sonic comic.

30 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

A simpler, more character-centred arc to breath after the big event. And after that another thing a bit unexpected for a Sonic comic.

I want them to see a new civilization like the ocean civilization post-reboot, or explore the lost civilization of ocean palace.

Is it me or is ShadowZombie fighting with himself? when Fighting Sonic he just seems to look like he is trying to resist 

17 hours ago, SonicWindAttack said:

Some new previews for issue 20:

Hide contents

743137845_image0(1).thumb.jpg.576a98757a8b5e17e960190428b74eb3.jpgimage1.thumb.jpg.15a5c6bf345780bf8214b6847905bb29.jpgimage2.thumb.jpg.964c447a306a8aaa473f3a58d5f4a29e.jpg

Um, actually, raw power was an ideal way to go. It's when he got physical that he messed up.

Any who, was Metal-Skin Shadow pink in Heroes?

12 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I'm a little iffy on it, but can't say I'm too bothered. 

Really, this should probably a moment where Sonic admits as appropriate how dire the situation is now that the only person with a chance of keeping up with him is infected too.

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Eh, he can't even reallyy... I guess this is my whole issue. Like now its the other end right? You can't call shadow out because shadow can literally default on " This literally wouldn't have happened if eggman was dead " because he would be right.

No one learns anything, this entire exchange is pointless. And we know they can't learn anything because you know sega wants their characters in stasis. Why even focus on this as a problem, oh my god this is so stupid

Yeah, that's a crux of why Shadow is probably my [second] least favorite character in IDW.

6 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Clunky wording and Sonic's expression isn't selling his attitude.

That too.

3 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

In my mind(and likely others), there's only one way in particular this issue will likely end.

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Something fun and/or lower deck maybe?

2 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

I want them to see a new civilization like the ocean civilization post-reboot, or explore the lost civilization of ocean palace.

That sounds nice.

1 hour ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Is it me or is ShadowZombie fighting with himself? when Fighting Sonic he just seems to look like he is trying to resist 

He does look a little more like the other Zombots at first.

30 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

There's a cover too:

spacer.png

And the solicit says...?

Did they trace a render of Eggman or something?

19 hours ago, SBR2 said:

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/news/idw-publishing-november-2019-solicitations

Solicits are out and only issue 23 this month. Kinda makes sense since there's not a lot of space for any other Miniseries right now. 

Solcit is in the link @DabigRG

Also that Eggman is literally the Sonic Colors/All Stars Racing Transformed render but with different hand positions.

@Ellipsis-Ultima

Oh. Alrighty then.

spacer.png

Sonic the Hedgehog #23—Cover A: Priscilla TramontanoIan Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a) • Priscilla Tramontano (c)

"The Last Minute," Part Three! Sonic has been infected by the Metal Virus, and so far the only thing keeping him from going full-on zombot is his incredible speed... but how long can that last? As Sonic pushes himself to his limits gathering data for Tails, he comes face-to-face with the one problem more important than the Metal Virus: its creator, Dr. Eggman.

FC • 32 pages • $3.99Sonic the Hedgehog #23—Cover B: Tracy YardleyIan Flynn (w) • Jack Lawrence (a) • Tracey Yardley (c)FC • 32 pages • $3.99

*Retailer incentives:Order 10 copies and get one free variant cover by Nathalie Fourdraine!

Bullet points:

• The third part of three simultaneous adventures!

• Finally, the showdown you've been waiting for: Sonic vs. Dr. Eggman!

Spoiler

I guess Tails is still alive after all.

Sonic will probably ask him if he remembers anything from his time as doctor tinker and starline will step in.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Sonic will probably ask him if he remembers anything from his time as doctor tinker

Of course he does.

That's why he "thanked" the people who looked after him by making them the first target for the Faceship.

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Of course he does.

That's why he "thanked" the people who looked after him by making them the first target for the Faceship.

But Sonic will ask him...obviously.

Because he doesn't know.