Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

59 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We still need to know Starline's origin story. Otherwise he is still uninteresting.

Uh, I think you got that contrapositive, dog. Or straight up wrong, one of the two.

Similar to Whisper, Starline is interesting in part because of the mysterious drive he brings to the status quo. He clearly has some background, capabilities, and motives that make him seem notable in his own right, yet he's mostly just been an aid to the continuing conflict between Sonic and Eggman continue to fight each other. Sure, he's at least stated that Eggman is an inspiration to him, but that's rather nebulous on top of just being super out of the norm.

If anything, his origin story is something to look forward to as the payoff of what he has been done beforehand and perhaps act as the connective tissue to what events he brings to come.

• Thumbs Up 5

55 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We still need to know Starline's origin story. Otherwise he is still uninteresting.

I think he's interesting. We know all we need to know. He idolized Dr. Eggman and wanted to work with him. At most the only origin we absolutely need is for the Warp Topaz or at least how he got it.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

At most the only origin we absolutely need is for the Warp Topaz or at least how he got it.

That's a very good point. In fact, didn't he seem to have a proclivity for powered artifacts in general?

Spoiler

So seems that Sonic won't be infected with #20. Damn I would have prefered to see this cover AFTER having read the comics. TBH I still think that he'll be corrupted, but I wouldn't be surprised that it's the end of #25. After this three-issues arc, everything is shaped up for a two-issue arc.

Especially as the Metal Virus saga will be continuing in Y3 according to the producer and Flynn said that the peak would be issue 25.

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

What make a character interesting isn't necessarily his origin story. TBH, this very story could be the actual "origin story" of the Starline we are getting later. The story of a fan of Dr. Eggman that felt that his role model wasn't as he thought, and that reacted according to it. Just adding stuff in the past doesn't make a character interesting. It's building them to be interesting with what they are.

Or else nearly all Sonic character are uninteresting except Shadow (and even Knuckles doesn't really have an "origin story")

And for a character like Starline, it could even be detrimental depending of what they can do with you. I think that Starline's sources of success is and will still be more related to his personality and way of acting (and possible futur actions) than his backstory. They could make one if they wanted. But I'm not sure that's the point of the character. It would be like creating an "origin story" to Tangle. Some character aren't meant for that format (and even character where their past is kinda important, as there are other format, like having multiple defining events in flashback instead of a single "origin story" - that often tend to be quite monolithic - and other format that I won't talk about as I'm again adding too much stuff in a message AFTER having posted it)

3 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

It would be like creating an "origin story" to Tangle. Some character aren't meant for that format.

I hit the breaks and picked up speed again in the span of a second.

"Hi Ian, make Shadow unlikeable and dumb please".

Nice, very good SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • Absolutely 3

I'm a bit hesitant to trust what is hardly different from a "my uncle works at Nintendo" story.

Even if it's true though, how much does that really change? Shadow gets cocky, does something risky, gets infected and zombotted just the same. And removing tension between the heroes and a character's psychological flaws doesn't sound like an improvement to the story.

• Thumbs Up 2

The thing is, do we even know if Shadow will ever learn his lesson or he will still be an ass to everyone till the end? Cuz that's not what Ian would like either

That doesn't say "Shadow the Hedgehog doesn't boast like a blowhard and actually heeds Sonic's advice about running off the infection"...

Instead it says "Shadow the Hedgehog still fights the zombies"...and just gets infected in a way that makes less sense than what actually happened.

I don't see any downfall brewing. The change between that and what we got saw a more explosive effort on Shadow's part, which probably would have helped the portrayal of his arrogance but, as has been pointed out, its still a form of arrogance.

I like this version of Shadow because of how at odds he is with Sonic's manner of handling things. It does well to keep him interesting to me in a way where I found he just wasn't in the old Archie books. That said, I DO see the possibility of issues arising if the TSR approach is allowed to fester where he's combative JUST to be combative and he isn't asserting a different ideal.

I'm not worried too much about that when it comes to Ian but it doesn't look good considering Shadow in the games going forward. Though, their handling of the character has had its ups and downs over the years anyway.

Also, its extremely easy to contact Ian and get answers to questions like that, even if you're not at a convention. I don't have a hard time believing its true.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Even if it's true though, how much does that really change?

considering he was gonna be written a different way and how characters are perceived matters because a lot of people actually didnt like it. Alot

2 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

The thing is, do we even know if Shadow will ever learn his lesson or he will still be an ass to everyone till the end? Cuz that's not what Ian would like either

hell no, no one is gonna learn shit. Its gonna be pointless

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

And removing tension between the heroes and a character's psychological flaws doesn't sound like an improvement to the story.

Forcing a conflict that doesn't exist in a narrative that just could have been a character study before a character gets infected... doesn't really help things either. Stories can be written in different ways

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't see any downfall brewing.

Downfall , no. However the fact that this story seemingly is kinda nothing right now, despite the whole premise being zombification is kinda uh... not inspiring hope about the story quality going forward. Shadow can be fixed, that's a larger issue and seemingly reflective of folks in charge

The change between that and what we got saw a more explosive effort on Shadow's part, which probably would have helped the portrayal of his arrogance but, as has been pointed out, its still a form of arrogance.

Still its how things are done, that's important

I like this version of Shadow because of how at odds he is with Sonic's manner of handling things. It does well to keep him interesting to me in a way where I found he just wasn't in the old Archie books. That said, I DO see the possibility of issues arising if the TSR approach is allowed to fester where he's combative JUST to be combative and he isn't asserting a different ideal.

So like here's my issue. I like the concept you are talking about, its just executed poorly. Shadow being someone at odds at the universe around him is a neat idea, My issue and I feel most others is execution . I don't think anyone cares shadow believed in himself too hard and fucked up, its a thing he would do. Its you know the how

I'm not worried too much about that when it comes to Ian but it doesn't look good considering Shadow in the games going forward. Though, their handling of the character has had its ups and downs over the years anyway.

This is weird because forces shadow is really good. Guess it depends on the day. Also i'm not to worried, because if people say they don't like it. They will just change it, I dunno they don't seem to hard pressed on that front.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Downfall , no. However the fact that this story seemingly is kinda nothing right now, despite the whole premise being zombification is kinda uh... not inspiring hope about the story quality going forward. Shadow can be fixed, that's a larger issue and seemingly reflective of folks in charge

I mean, I don't agree that this story is nothing so I don't consider that a fact. There's very little to be worried about on my end. I'm thoroughly enjoying this arc and so far my only concern is how they'll be able to top this once it's done.

So like here's my issue. I like the concept you are talking about, its just executed poorly. Shadow being someone at odds at the universe around him is a neat idea, My issue and I feel most others is execution . I don't think anyone cares shadow believed in himself too hard and fucked up, its a thing he would do. Its you know the how

I don't think the general personality of Shadow here has been executed poorly. I feel this specific instance of it could have been handled better but it's nothing that deals with tweaking his personality, just the manner in which he saw fit to take care of things in this singular issue. If that's the execution you're talking about, then I agree.

I'm only acknowledging the concern that he could fold too much into that personality that the reason for him thinking and acting the way he does is lost and he ends up being just an asshole rather than a guy with a harsher perspective. That's why I brought up TSR. He's got so little agency in that game that characters who aren't there, Espio and Charmy, do more to contribute to the plot than him somehow, despite Shadow's face being all over that game's marketing. Though, as I stated, I'm not worried about that as far as this book goes. To me the issue here is a very tiny one and only deals with better clarification rather than any heavy change.

This is weird because forces shadow is really good. Guess it depends on the day. Also i'm not to worried, because if people say they don't like it. They will just change it, I dunno they don't seem to hard pressed on that front.

Forces Shadow was good. 

I suppose the thing about Shadow, as far as I'm concerned, is that while I DO like him, he's not in my top 10 or anything and as such I'm more open to his personality being tweaked a bit to make him stand out more for me. I vastly prefer his IDW portrayal but, at the same time, I'm not put off by his portrayal in something like Forces or 06. That's kind of the magic that comes with having a tempered relationship with a character. 

That said, I do still feel the games need to do something to make him not just feel like another Vegeta. Like he talks a bit gruffer but he's just another friend who has trouble admitting he's a friend despite being completely on the hero's side and having no real conflict with the way he handles things. I like the concept of Team Dark. The whole group of darker aligned heroes who have harsher methods and harsher ideals that can lead to inner conflict is an interesting thing. 

Not to say I think the IDW portrayal is perfect either. I don't mind the arrogance but there are bits where it feels a bit too much.

"Cowards run. I win" is like... what?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not really surprised; you can tell that's the direction they were taking the character since Free Riders.

Everybody meme'd Shadow as a furry version of Vegeta, so that's what he is now.

8 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Everybody meme'd Shadow as a furry version of Vegeta, so that's what he is now.

That stinks.

It shouldn't happen again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Years of people bitching how "unfitting" Shadow was have no right to complain.

Haters wanted him to be a caricature of himself, well good job that's what he is. So I hope the haters are happy; they now have more fuel to hate this character and laugh at his expense because Sega wants to pander to these people.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean, I don't agree that this story is nothing so I don't consider that a fact. There's very little to be worried about on my end. I'm thoroughly enjoying this arc and so far my only concern is how they'll be able to top this once it's done.

Have fun then

I don't think the general personality of Shadow here has been executed poorly. I feel this specific instance of it could have been handled better but it's nothing that deals with tweaking his personality, just the manner in which he saw fit to take care of things in this singular issue. If that's the execution you're talking about, then I agree.

I think tweaks could be made personally.  Mostly him interacting with team dark... at all. But at least in this instance my primary issue is like how it was exicuted in this past issue. It feels like shadow was written to fit what was needed rather than  story fitting the character and it shows and it isn't great.

I'm only acknowledging the concern that he could fold too much into that personality that the reason for him thinking and acting the way he does is lost and he ends up being just an asshole rather than a guy with a harsher perspective. That's why I brought up TSR. He's got so little agency in that game that characters who aren't there, Espio and Charmy, do more to contribute to the plot than him somehow, despite Shadow's face being all over that game's marketing. Though, as I stated, I'm not worried about that as far as this book goes. To me the issue here is a very tiny one and only deals with better clarification rather than any heavy change.

I wouldn't ... I don't really care about TSR if that makes sense. Its a weird spin off game. Nothing matters and like no one contributes to the plot..it kinda just happens and folks get to say things. Its whatever.

That said, I do still feel the games need to do something to make him not just feel like another Vegeta. Like he talks a bit gruffer but he's just another friend who has trouble admitting he's a friend despite being completely on the hero's side and having no real conflict with the way he handles things. I like the concept of Team Dark. The whole group of darker aligned heroes who have harsher methods and harsher ideals that can lead to inner conflict is an interesting thing. 

Sonic games would need to have stories of note again.

6 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Years of people bitching how "unfitting" Shadow was have no right to complain.

Haters wanted him to be a caricature of himself, well good job that's what he is. So I hope the haters are happy; they now have more fuel to hate this character and laugh at his expense because Sega wants to pander to these people.

I don't think that's it. Its very easy to fall down the cynical hole. But I don't think its that, especially now where the guy in charge is openly considering adventure remakes and pandering to that nostalgia and and pandering to that nostalgia got forces shadow which is fine. If they were pandeirng to shadow was unfitting people , shadow would just be gone and he was for a while and it didn't help really.

The simple answer is they want to simplify his character, and his character doesn't work simple. They wish to avoid a lot of the adventure era stuff because they may see that as complications to what they may want to do .Eventually though if they are pandering to that nostalgia they are going to have to embrace it or fail. Or reboot, which is what I think they are gonna do.

But yeah,

I wouldn't ... I don't really care about TSR if that makes sense. Its a weird spin off game. Nothing matters and like no one contributes to the plot..it kinda just happens and folks get to say things. Its whatever.

That's a bit of an oversimplification but if you don't care about it than it doesn't matter what I say about it regardless. It still stands as an example of the kind of direction they're taking him in and it's a game that they see value in. They've spoken about it as much. Expanding upon the universe by introducing Dodon Pa, a rich mogul who sells technology to planets all over the universe as a way to enrich the lore was an attempt at that. Feel free to ignore it if you so desire but it's definitely an example of their attempt to do things they think matter with the cast and Sonic's planet.

So long as they think it matters, it's going to have an effect and it seems like it already is.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

That's a bit of an oversimplification but if you don't care about it than it doesn't matter what I say about it regardless. It still stands as an example of the kind of direction they're taking him in and it's a game that they see value in. They've spoken about it as much. Expanding upon the universe by introducing Dodon Pa, a rich mogul who sells technology to planets all over the universe as a way to enrich the lore was an attempt at that. Feel free to ignore it if you so desire but it's definitely an example of their attempt to do things they think matter with the cast and Sonic's planet.

So long as they think it matters, it's going to have an effect and it seems like it already is.

I don't really think it is at all, and I will continue to not think it will matter until any of it sticks. Its a weird spin off game and everyone will be different in the next game, that's my read. And considering that game didn't do well, I feel like its kinda guaranteed. I don't know man there's plenty of sonic stuff to get up in arms about, Its just a fun spin off game and I don't feel like it matters much.