Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

25 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

IIRC, when asked about tangle, they strait up said they aren't doing that kind of thing. People change their mind , and restrictions can be lifted, but as of currently I have no reason to believe that has changed. 

I stand corrected about that, I didn't know that the question was posed about Tangle, so I assumed the old rules were still in place.

One of my dream games is a SEGA vs Capcom fighter in the vein of Marvel vs Capcom 3. If we were gonna get a large scale crossover between a lot of the IPs across the two companies I think that's probably the best fit.

If you want something more plot inspired it's probably best to keep it scaled down, mind you it could probably be done well with a Banpresto style crossover like Project X Zone but even I think you would need to be very careful about the amount of content you choose to add. If you just mindlessly add everything because you can, then there won't be any room to do any exploration of the series intermingling. If all they're doing is just showing up then there's really no point. You'll get the same experience doing a google image search of the series.

11 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I stand corrected about that, I didn't know that the question was posed about Tangle, so I assumed the old rules were still in place.

I believe the question was about tangle possibly being gay, and the response was " we aren't doing anything like that so she can be whatever you want her to be "

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

If they weren't already commited to no relationships. That could read as like uh " I had an abusive ex " thing, which would genuinely be interesting and something other children programming like steven universe has touched on. Though I guess hell just be a literally shifty ex team mate

...You realize what you just said, right? 😏

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I honestly doubt that removing the Freedom Fighters or the Maverick Hunters would have fared better.

To be honest, they were fine. They were already part of the ongoing narrative, and them being involved in the sudden shift of things wasn’t bad since they were part of their respective franchises that had connections to each other. Besides, in hindsight, having the Freedom Fighters finally meet Megaman and his X counterparts and cast was a decent send off prior to Archie Sonic’s cancellation. If anything, it was the extended Sega and Capcom franchises joining the party that made the book a clusterfuck. And last I was told, that was a decision made by his editor at the time that Capcom and Sega saw as a great opportunity.

Pretty much. 

Aside from things like Street Fighter, Alex Kidd, and I guess Monster Hunter, I really don't think there was much added by the other franchises besides bloat, novelty or otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Rosaleia said:

I thought the no relationships mandate only extended towards active game characters, though.

It also extends to Mr Flynn just not being interested in dealing with that anymore. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

IIRC, when asked about tangle, they strait up said they aren't doing that kind of thing. People change their mind , and restrictions can be lifted, but as of currently I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Ian's not interested in doing shipping stuff and frankly I don't blame him. He has to deal with people saying he hated Sally and Amy depending on who Sonic was dating for years so honestly I wouldn't want to mess with that shit either. 

Evan Stanley has said she would like to introduce an LGBT character at some point which might be someone in a relationship so who knows there.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

He has to deal with people saying he hated Sally and Amy depending on who Sonic talked to this issue

Fixed.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Evan Stanley has said she would like to introduce an LGBT character at some point which might be someone in a relationship so who knows there.

How else would they introduce one, tbf?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

The same way you manage to draw an Echidna character into a comic where there can be no other Echidna's. You draw it, leave it open to interpretation and then when someone asks about it you have plausible deniability to say "lol no". Then ten years from now, you drop the bombshell on all the people who still care enough to still be asking about it. 

Saw it already in the old Archie series with Rotor, Nicole and Sally tbh

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Probably like Rouge...someone who likes to flirt but doesn't do more than that.

Unless they are allowed to do more with original characters, then it doesn't matter how.

You don't worry about the how, because the "how" is just introducing the character in general...that aspect of a character should just prop up naturally

Fun & Games.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It also extends to Mr Flynn just not being interested in dealing with that anymore. 

Mandates also confirm that Amy cant be with Sonic "*canon"" but Amy cant be shown to like anyone else either one reason she was excluding from M25yl because it would be weird for a grown Amy to flirt with a married man who has kids, 

32 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

...because it would be weird for a grown Amy to flirt with a married man who has kids.

That's not weird, but without an explanation given....people would get the wrong idea.

I know it's up to interpretation, but still, sexual orientation in the case of Tangle is completely different from having a relationship with somebody. And Ian likes to sneak in this kind of stuff.

11 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

If they weren't already commited to no relationships. That could read as like uh " I had an abusive ex " thing, which would genuinely be interesting and something other children programming like steven universe has touched on. Though I guess hell just be a literally shifty ex team mate

Is it so bad to keep things simple? Archie has touched that plotline, and it doesn't fit Sonic.

8 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I know it's up to interpretation, but still, sexual orientation in the case of Tangle is completely different from having a relationship with somebody. And Ian likes to sneak in this kind of stuff.

It seemed open and shut

" we aren't doing relationship shit. Imagine her to be whatever you want her to be "

Is it so bad to keep things simple? Archie has touched that plotline, and it doesn't fit Sonic.

I think it can work fine. Sonic is a series where the character we just had a heated discussion about , has as backstory involving murder and government cover ups and dealing with that murder. Obviously the series shoudn't go in depth, but a story about dealing with any type of abuse probably is a good one to have particularly in a series for children which some might actually be going through... not great situations themselves.

I have found a number of testimonies of folks liking shadow, because his two shit dads reminded them of their own abusive parents  and helped them along with presumably therapy and other media to, like shadow understand that they don't have to be like them.

Media can have the power to help people through awful situations and I don't think there is any issue portraying that in a respectful manner.

As long as it's not sexual abuse it should be fine, which is why it shouldn't be "abusive boyfriend". An abusive and murderous team mate.

1 hour ago, Tangled Jack said:

As long as it's not sexual abuse it should be fine, which is why it shouldn't be "abusive boyfriend". An abusive and murderous team mate.

I mean you can demonstrate abuse in a relationship that isnt sexual abuse. It comes in many formats. And if done tactfully you can showcase how bad it is to younger audiences.

6 hours ago, StaticMania said:

That's not weird, but without an explanation given....people would get the wrong idea.

Eh, it'd be easy enough to see Amy as a nasty homewrecker if the flirting happened. It reminds me of how back in the day the comicrunners didn't really know what to do with Rouge back when she first showed up since she was obviously presented as into Knuckles but Julie-Su was around, making Rouge "The Other Woman."

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Eh, it'd be easy enough to see Amy as a nasty homewrecker if the flirting happened. It reminds me of how back in the day the comicrunners didn't really know what to do with Rouge back when she first showed up since she was obviously presented as into Knuckles but Julie-Su was around, making Rouge "The Other Woman."

Yeah, essentially the deal with Shadow but better. 

Although Rouge was more vindictive in Archie than in anything besides apparently Battle. 

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

hmm?

Mimic is an Octopus.

12 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The same way you manage to draw an Echidna character into a comic where there can be no other Echidna's. You draw it, leave it open to interpretation and then when someone asks about it you have plausible deniability to say "lol no". Then ten years from now, you drop the bombshell on all the people who still care enough to still be asking about it. 

...I honestly can't tell where you stand with that.

11 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Probably like Rouge...someone who likes to flirt but doesn't do more than that.

Unless they are allowed to do more with original characters, then it doesn't matter how.

You don't worry about the how, because the "how" is just introducing the character in general...that aspect of a character should just prop up naturally

Fun & Games.

I didn't mean it quite that literally.

9 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Mandates also confirm that Amy cant be with Sonic "*canon"" but Amy cant be shown to like anyone else either one reason she was excluding from M25yl because it would be weird for a grown Amy to flirt with a married man who has kids, 

Yeah, no kiddin. Plus, there really wasn't anywhere in those stories that you could reasonably fit that.

7 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

How so?

7 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Not nowadays anyway.

On another note, how old was Zan supposed to be?

I dont think you can call that rouge period better than anything. It was as weirdly misogynist as the rest of the book was at that time. A cool girl with a good head on her shoulders,  with multiple romantic interests, reduced to a vindictive other woman.

That was infact, not it chief

11 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I dont think you can call that rouge period better than anything. It was as weirdly misogynist as the rest of the book was at that time. A cool girl with a good head on her shoulders,  with multiple romantic interests, reduced to a vindictive other woman.

That was infact, not it chief

I just did. By comparison.

Of course, I was taking into account how that wasn't all there was with her appearances.

12 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It would actually be kind of interesting if anthro/mobian Gorgons were created as a stand-in staple for Echidna character designs. All the more fitting because the Goddess Echidna is related to Gorgon and Medusa IIRC.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I just did. By comparison.

Of course, I was taking into account how that wasn't all there was with her appearances.

And I'm suggesting you are wrong and it was largely worse than anything. Well most things

Tails being a creep a super creep was also pretty bad

10 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

It would actually be kind of interesting if anthro/mobian Gorgons were created as a stand-in staple for Echidna character designs. All the more fitting because the Goddess Echidna is related to Gorgon and Medusa IIRC.

:lol: Sure, why not? We already have Trolls in New252 and of course the Zeti.