IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

13 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

New previews

Hide contents

EC6NduYXsAAc2V2?format=jpg&name=medium

EC6NdvyX4AIpfzJ?format=jpg&name=medium

EC6NdvyX4AIpfzJ?format=jpg&name=medium

EC6NdxaXoAA6O_5?format=jpg&name=medium

Look at that gaudy Advance style hideout. Man, I miss that.

In other news, Tangle's Girl!Sonic side is sorta showing.

9 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Whisper just keeps ascending to best girl spot

Yeah, she is pretty cool.

If they weren't already commited to no relationships. That could read as like uh " I had an abusive ex " thing, which would genuinely be interesting and something other children programming like steven universe has touched on. Though I guess hell just be a literally shifty ex team mate

They are really committed on "no relationship" about main character though. I'm not sure that adding a past relationship to Whisper would be totally impossible for them. It might certainly not the case (or some kind of "totally not in relationship… but you can see it as you like" stuff that Flynn could totally create and already did), but I don't think that's something impossible.

19 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

World's Unite had a lot of things done for the sake of compensation. Your assertion that he absolutely got to focus on just who he wanted to write doesn't even have basis in truth because I know for a fact that he's had to make a ton of compromises based on just what would flow better or stand alone as an advertisement for the book.  The Freedom Fighters weren't in the first crossover because of that. He put the Freedom Fighters in World's Unite because there were people wondering and asking why they weren't in the first crossover and he tried his best to appease that crowd with World's Unite. But, of course, hindsight is 20-20. Too many characters were in that story and he straight up said that if he could do it again he'd remove the Freedom Fighters and the Maverick hunters to try and balance things out. 

I honestly doubt that removing the Freedom Fighters or the Maverick Hunters would have fared better.

To be honest, they were fine. They were already part of the ongoing narrative, and them being involved in the sudden shift of things wasn’t bad since they were part of their respective franchises that had connections to each other. Besides, in hindsight, having the Freedom Fighters finally meet Megaman and his X counterparts and cast was a decent send off prior to Archie Sonic’s cancellation. If anything, it was the extended Sega and Capcom franchises joining the party that made the book a clusterfuck. And last I was told, that was a decision made by his editor at the time that Capcom and Sega saw as a great opportunity.

16 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

They are really committed on "no relationship" about main character though. I'm not sure that adding a past relationship to Whisper would be totally impossible for them. It might certainly not the case (or some kind of "totally not in relationship… but you can see it as you like" stuff that Flynn could totally create and already did), but I don't think that's something impossible.

IIRC, when asked about tangle, they strait up said they aren't doing that kind of thing. People change their mind , and restrictions can be lifted, but as of currently I have no reason to believe that has changed.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

If they weren't already commited to no relationships. That could read as like uh " I had an abusive ex " thing, which would genuinely be interesting and something other children programming like steven universe has touched on. Though I guess hell just be a literally shifty ex team mate

I thought the no relationships mandate only extended towards active game characters, though.

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I honestly doubt that removing the Freedom Fighters or the Maverick Hunters would have fared better.

To be honest, they were fine. They were already part of the ongoing narrative, and them being involved in the sudden shift of things wasn’t bad since they were part of their respective franchises that had connections to each other. Besides, in hindsight, having the Freedom Fighters finally meet Megaman and his X counterparts and cast was a decent send off prior to Archie Sonic’s cancellation. If anything, it was the extended Sega and Capcom franchises joining the party that made the book a clusterfuck. And last I was told, that was a decision made by his editor at the time that Capcom and Sega saw as a great opportunity.

Well, that's kind of the thing though. I figured the extended SEGA and Capcom franchises joining the party was the entire point of the book. The first one was a Sonic and Mega Man crossover. The second was supposed to be SEGA meets Capcom. It wouldn't have made the story an immediate smooth ride but I understand what he's getting at. If he cuts down on the amount of characters that don't absolutely have to be there, it could have made for a smoother ride.

When the premise already promises a clusterfuck of characters, having the Freedom Fighters on top of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy on top of Sticks from Sonic Boom on top of the Deadly Six on top of the Maverick Hunters is just way too much. I do think it would have fared a little better to cut down on some of that. 

I need to re-read that arc because it's been so long. I read it once and then just kind of let it sit in my binders. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well, that's kind of the thing though. I figured the extended SEGA and Capcom franchises joining the party was the entire point of the book. The first one was a Sonic and Mega Man crossover. The second was supposed to be SEGA meets Capcom. It wouldn't have made the story an immediate smooth ride but I understand what he's getting at. If he cuts down on the amount of characters that don't absolutely have to be there, it could have made for a smoother ride.

When the premise already promises a clusterfuck of characters, having the Freedom Fighters on top of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy on top of Sticks from Sonic Boom on top of the Deadly Six on top of the Maverick Hunters is just way too much. I do think it would have fared a little better to cut down on some of that. 

I need to re-read that arc because it's been so long. I read it once and then just kind of let it sit in my binders. 

You don't need to re-read it, it's shit. Outside of a like a X and Mega Man having a moment, none of it was any good. A massive fuckstercluck. You'd be better off just playing Project X Zone or whatever to get that Sega Capcom crossover alongside namco bandai stuff.

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Then they would have been better of planning that with a longer arc in mind as opposed to doing so in the middle of one comic’s ongoing narrative. That or making a separate comic line entirely—which might’ve been the better option looking back.

Because given how they tried to cram it all in 12 issues spread across 3 separate comics, that wasn’t a good start to begin with—hell, the the moment the full cast of Sega and Capcom were shown prior to the crossover’s first issue, it was already feared that all the additional franchises would bloat things.

Then they would have been better of planning that with a longer arc in mind as opposed to doing so in the middle of one comic’s ongoing narrative. That or making a separate comic line entirely—which might’ve been the better option looking back.

Because given how they tried to cram it all in 12 issues spread across 3 separate comics, that wasn’t a good start to begin with—hell, the the moment the full cast of Sega and Capcom were shown prior to the crossover’s first issue, it was already feared that all the additional franchises would bloat things.

Yeah, that's true. Although, I can see why they chose 12 issues too. There's also danger in making an event go on for too long as well. Spreading it across the three comics was a move done to condense the time it took to churn them out so that's fine. 

It was a bit too ambitious of an idea for a comic event. Probably would have worked better as a Kingdom Hearts styled Sonic and Mega Man crossover game or something.

"Let's go to Street Fighter world and recruit Ryu and the gang. After that, the next stop is Hollow Bastion, where Sigma resides."

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

You don't need to re-read it, it's shit. Outside of a like a X and Mega Man having a moment, none of it was any good. A massive fuckstercluck. You'd be better off just playing Project X Zone or whatever to get that Sega Capcom crossover alongside namco bandai stuff.

I freely admit to being heavily disappointed by it when I first read it but... honestly, my opinion on the old Archie books has reached a level of tolerance and indifference now that they've been cancelled. I'm finding that it's easier to look back on things that I may have hated or not cared about with more curiosity and open armed appreciation for their mere existence rather than any real desire to criticize them now.

It's just this interesting time capsule of Sonic books that I feel I can enjoy now without worrying about how good or bad they're written because now it literally doesn't matter anymore. So yeah, I do still want to re-read it eventually.

25 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

IIRC, when asked about tangle, they strait up said they aren't doing that kind of thing. People change their mind , and restrictions can be lifted, but as of currently I have no reason to believe that has changed. 

I stand corrected about that, I didn't know that the question was posed about Tangle, so I assumed the old rules were still in place.

One of my dream games is a SEGA vs Capcom fighter in the vein of Marvel vs Capcom 3. If we were gonna get a large scale crossover between a lot of the IPs across the two companies I think that's probably the best fit.

If you want something more plot inspired it's probably best to keep it scaled down, mind you it could probably be done well with a Banpresto style crossover like Project X Zone but even I think you would need to be very careful about the amount of content you choose to add. If you just mindlessly add everything because you can, then there won't be any room to do any exploration of the series intermingling. If all they're doing is just showing up then there's really no point. You'll get the same experience doing a google image search of the series.

11 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I stand corrected about that, I didn't know that the question was posed about Tangle, so I assumed the old rules were still in place.

I believe the question was about tangle possibly being gay, and the response was " we aren't doing anything like that so she can be whatever you want her to be "

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

...You realize what you just said, right? 😏

Pretty much. 

Aside from things like Street Fighter, Alex Kidd, and I guess Monster Hunter, I really don't think there was much added by the other franchises besides bloat, novelty or otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Ian's not interested in doing shipping stuff and frankly I don't blame him. He has to deal with people saying he hated Sally and Amy depending on who Sonic was dating for years so honestly I wouldn't want to mess with that shit either. 

Evan Stanley has said she would like to introduce an LGBT character at some point which might be someone in a relationship so who knows there.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

He has to deal with people saying he hated Sally and Amy depending on who Sonic talked to this issue

Fixed.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Evan Stanley has said she would like to introduce an LGBT character at some point which might be someone in a relationship so who knows there.

How else would they introduce one, tbf?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

The same way you manage to draw an Echidna character into a comic where there can be no other Echidna's. You draw it, leave it open to interpretation and then when someone asks about it you have plausible deniability to say "lol no". Then ten years from now, you drop the bombshell on all the people who still care enough to still be asking about it. 

Saw it already in the old Archie series with Rotor, Nicole and Sally tbh

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Probably like Rouge...someone who likes to flirt but doesn't do more than that.

Unless they are allowed to do more with original characters, then it doesn't matter how.

You don't worry about the how, because the "how" is just introducing the character in general...that aspect of a character should just prop up naturally

Fun & Games.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It also extends to Mr Flynn just not being interested in dealing with that anymore. 

Mandates also confirm that Amy cant be with Sonic "*canon"" but Amy cant be shown to like anyone else either one reason she was excluding from M25yl because it would be weird for a grown Amy to flirt with a married man who has kids, 

I know it's up to interpretation, but still, sexual orientation in the case of Tangle is completely different from having a relationship with somebody. And Ian likes to sneak in this kind of stuff.

11 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Is it so bad to keep things simple? Archie has touched that plotline, and it doesn't fit Sonic.

8 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I know it's up to interpretation, but still, sexual orientation in the case of Tangle is completely different from having a relationship with somebody. And Ian likes to sneak in this kind of stuff.

It seemed open and shut

" we aren't doing relationship shit. Imagine her to be whatever you want her to be "

Is it so bad to keep things simple? Archie has touched that plotline, and it doesn't fit Sonic.

I think it can work fine. Sonic is a series where the character we just had a heated discussion about , has as backstory involving murder and government cover ups and dealing with that murder. Obviously the series shoudn't go in depth, but a story about dealing with any type of abuse probably is a good one to have particularly in a series for children which some might actually be going through... not great situations themselves.

I have found a number of testimonies of folks liking shadow, because his two shit dads reminded them of their own abusive parents  and helped them along with presumably therapy and other media to, like shadow understand that they don't have to be like them.

Media can have the power to help people through awful situations and I don't think there is any issue portraying that in a respectful manner.