Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

57 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

It'll probably be like MLP; the first two arcs being 4 part issues, and subsequent ones being two parts.

I hope Ian learns to adapt better to that format. I always felt some arcs either dragged or were rushed.

Then I wonder, will it be one continuous story or just arcs where things happen that are loosely connected?

• Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, Razule said:

Then I wonder, will it be one continuous story or just arcs where things happen that are loosely connected?

Knowing Ian, there will be various continuity nods, at first with the games, then with the comic continuity.

A little off topic but I hope Ian used Blaze and Cream more and better here than in the post reboot comics. I don't want to complain, just critique. Blaze only appeared once post reboot and in that arc she was captured twice and spent almost a whole issue in a cage. Then Cream was sidelined a lot and barely contributed to the main plot.

I'm willing to cut Ian some slack on how Cream was portrayed because a large part of her being out of combat was apparently mandated (although that makes it all the more baffling why he'd put her in the Freedom Fighters in that case). The Unleashed arc was not a good place for a non-combatant to get attention because it was fight-intensive.

Hey, I just realised, that might go some way to explain why Cream isn't in the resistance in Forces too. 

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

As far as the Freedom Fighters go, here's a really simple compromise: just change the system in how they work.

I'm surprised that people mainly think that these characters need to work in a group than as individual characters that can stand on their own yet work as a collective group. There have been many times when these very characters were split apart from each other, whether by necessity, by force, or by other circumstances that had them break away.

But you know one thing I definitely liked about this to an extent? The characters often interacted or split with different characters, and in ways that made sense. And I find it far more preferable that they do that and mix the cast instead of grouping them the way the games have done.

Even better, they didn't have characters around "just because", which is what makes Ian's comeback a bigger bonus because he keeps in mind that characters should do more than simple be around because they're expected and should be available based on their circumstances--anyone who went to the Sol Dimension got there under believable reasons; the "Classic 4" were hardly together because 1) Knuckles was busy guarding the Master Emerald and had his own priorities and only got involved when those were clearly under threat, 2) Eggman was a more fluid threat and every region need protection of some kind instead of someone giving up ground to him (whether it was the FFs, GUN, etc); and Silver had a lot more room to maneuver thanks to Genesis Portals instead of popping up with little reason as to why he's came from the future; among many other nuances.

If anything, I want this to have coherent logic when it comes to what character(s) appear and why beyond fan bias. For all his faults, Ian and the Archie team did this far better than most writers I know, and I want that to continue. The games have been going downhill on this aspect since arguably Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I just realized something. 

If the new comic is allowed to use any character that's appeared in the games...

Spoiler

sonic_x_in_sonic_adventure_dx__by_rodrithehedgehog.jpg

DEAR

GOD

NO

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 7

Honestly, as long as Chris isn't the whinny, spoiled kid he was in X, I wouldn't mind.

Matter of fact, I'd be down for anything they do with him as long as it isn't that.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

As far as the Freedom Fighters go, here's a really simple compromise: just change the system in how they work.

I'm surprised that people mainly think that these characters need to work in a group than as individual characters that can stand on their own yet work as a collective group. There have been many times when these very characters were split apart from each other, whether by necessity, by force, or by other circumstances that had them break away.

But you know one thing I definitely liked about this to an extent? The characters often interacted or split with different characters, and in ways that made sense. And I find it far more preferable that they do that and mix the cast instead of grouping them the way the games have done.

Even better, they didn't have characters around "just because", which is what makes Ian's comeback a bigger bonus because he keeps in mind that characters should do more than simple be around because they're expected and should be available based on their circumstances--anyone who went to the Sol Dimension got there under believable reasons; the "Classic 4" were hardly together because 1) Knuckles was busy guarding the Master Emerald and had his own priorities and only got involved when those were clearly under threat, 2) Eggman was a more fluid threat and every region need protection of some kind instead of someone giving up ground to him (whether it was the FFs, GUN, etc); and Silver had a lot more room to maneuver thanks to Genesis Portals instead of popping up with little reason as to why he's came from the future; among many other nuances.

If anything, I want this to have coherent logic when it comes to what character(s) appear and why beyond fan bias. For all his faults, Ian and the Archie team did this far better than most writers I know, and I want that to continue. The games have been going downhill on this aspect since arguably Heroes.

Yeah, that's part of what I've been thinking and trying to get at.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Honestly, as long as Chris isn't the whinny, spoiled kid he was in X, I wouldn't mind.

Matter of fact, I'd be down for anything they do with him as long as it isn't that.

Do.you have any ideas?

14 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I'm willing to cut Ian some slack on how Cream was portrayed because a large part of her being out of combat was apparently mandated (although that makes it all the more baffling why he'd put her in the Freedom Fighters in that case). The Unleashed arc was not a good place for a non-combatant to get attention because it was fight-intensive.

Hey, I just realised, that might go some way to explain why Cream isn't in the resistance in Forces too. 

Since Sega might be more relaxed on the mandates, maybe Cream will contribute more 

I honestly don't know if they would be for that, since that was a mandate only for the reboot, and there's not any prior situation that might have caused them to reign her in because she wasn't even in the comic for that long. 

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

I honestly don't know if they would be for that, since that was a mandate only for the reboot, and there's not any prior situation that might have caused them to reign her in because she wasn't even in the comic for that long. 

There was a mandate on Cream for the reboot?

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Wasn't she introduce late into the Pre reboot series? 

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Wasn't she introduce late into the Pre reboot series? 

She was (issue #216 to be precise, I think), and that's the thing. They instilled the mandate on the reboot with no prior incident that might have spurred it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

She was (issue #216 to be precise, I think), and that's the thing. They instilled the mandate on the reboot with no prior incident that might have spurred it. 

Yeah, I don't understand the reasoning for it either. At least for some of the others (ie no parents), it would probably be to avoid another lawsuit.

Just now, Razule said:

Uh.. what mandate though?

Well, apparently there was a mandate where Cream herself was forbidden from fighting. 

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Uh.. what mandate though?

Ian's implied in the past that there was a mandate restricting how much Cream can actually fight (even with Cheese). It's honestly a weird one considering how she started in the games. 

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Ian's implied in the past that there was a mandate restricting how much Cream can actually fight (even with Cheese). It's honestly a weird one considering how she started in the games. 

4 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Well, apparently there was a mandate where Cream herself was forbidden from fighting. 

Oh. That's dumb.

1 minute ago, DoubleXXCross said:

It's considered out-of-character for Cream to be a direct combatant. Hence Cheese.

Did she do some fighting herself in the Advance games?

1 minute ago, DoubleXXCross said:

It's considered out-of-character for Cream to be a direct combatant. Hence Cheese.

But even her using Cheese was restricted.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1