Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

I did say 2-6. Flynn did a great job with Sonic X, and most of those stories were only two issues long (granted they did have a higher page count). If they were actual sub-arcs that resolve themselves (i.e. not what IDW considers sub-arcs) that would be fine too.

These stories are not really built for 12 issues, and both arcs seem to suffer trying to reach that goal.

I can't say I agree with this. I was worried a Zombie Apocalypse story wouldn't be able to fit within an arc that only had a year to stick around. I'm glad it's going into 2020. These are like the perfect length for someone like me who doesn't prefer things get too episodic here. I loved Sonic X but it was also a comedy first and foremost. There's ways to do little stories like that within arcs I suppose. He's dabbled a bit with that here.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/28/2019 at 5:36 AM, Tangled Jack said:

I wish Ian

Hide contents

Didn't spoil the Zeti's involvement like that. I guess we will find out soon if they are still alive. Not sure what to hope to be honest. But it's a good twist because they fit in here.

Yeah, that was honestly somewhat surprising.

Though the New252 version both made a little sense and is Hilarious is Hindsight.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:53 AM, Tangled Jack said:

Hide contents

- How will the Zeti control the zombots? Are they even still alive after SLW? And Starline finally betrays the doctor?

Spoiler

With their innate ability to manipulate electromagnetic fields.

Where have you been?

And not really.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:53 AM, Tangled Jack said:

Hide contents

- I think I have an idea here, but who is the spy that lets the zombots in the HQ? Ding ding, we have an answer.

What is yours?

On 8/28/2019 at 9:02 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

Oh things definitely happened, it just wasn't anything that really grabbed me. I think it's just what I like out of the series and this particular arc not lining up with it that is leaving me burned out. There isn't really any sense of adventure or discovery with this story arc to me and the characters are being so pushed outside of what I love seeing them as that I just can't get into it. 

Yeah, that's sorta been the issue for a while.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:24 AM, Sonic Fan J said:

Issue two is still my favorite because of how well Amy was done in it (even compared to Tails and Knuckles' introductions imo) as it balanced her love of Sonic and adventure with her peppy and playful side, in addition to her compassionate and responsible side beautifully. 

That is still one of the best issues, yes.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:16 AM, Tangled Jack said:

What about Knuckles fans? Knuckles isn't in this arc, they got robbed worse, heck, my favorite character hasn't shown up in the comic yet, so how should I feel?

Eh, I think he's fine resting up for the time being. Or at least a little longer.

On 8/28/2019 at 11:27 AM, Marco9966 said:

Flynn is good at using old bad concepts and making them good (in this case the zetis). 

To be fair, I wouldn't say there are overly bad concepts. I mean, there's definitely some ideas you wanna be wary about misapplying(that's a word?!), but often times, it's less the concept and more the concrete.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:32 PM, StaticMania said:

Was being a continuation Sonic Forces a "bad" thing?

It clearly doesn't matter as much now, but is still lingering.

Find out next time of Sonic the Hedgehog: Issue 21.

Wow, that's a question that hasn't been asked in a while.

On 8/28/2019 at 3:30 PM, MarioKartGamerDude said:

7A62FFCD-22F2-4D2C-9151-112ABEEA0FEB.jpeg

Ugh...

On 8/28/2019 at 4:11 PM, Tornado said:

I can't believe Sonic is going to be tortured for months now.

What's the chronology?

On 8/28/2019 at 4:15 PM, Tangled Jack said:

I have a surprise for you all, including Shadow fans, yeah. Tease tease tease, and you can thank me later today.

I had a surprise for ya'll too, but my computer restarted over night and erased my progress. 

On 8/28/2019 at 4:55 PM, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Are there any mandates stating that the Deadly Six are the only 6 zeti in existence?

Not that we know of.

In fact, the games technically established ground against that.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:57 PM, StaticMania said:

What about this current comic's Cream can transfer into the games? It's so SIMPLE and CUTE.

I was gonna question this, but then I can't say there was a situation like this in the games, off the top of my head.

11 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I'm a few days late responding to it (gotta love my schedule) but only to an extent.

While I do prefer a character driven narratives as I watch stories for the characters first and foremost, characters need something going on for them to take action. I typically prefer when there is a character driven initiative that gets things going, but that isn't always necessary. The biggest problem with my preferences though is that it either requires a far denser medium than the IDW comics to give us time with the characters to experience the story and it's effect on them, or I need to slow down and really take it's time so the characters that are most important to the story get there chance to really experience and react to the story based on who they are. Not surprisingly, Issues where I get to see the characters being themselves and reacting to the plot based on who they are are typically my favorites.

That was really my problem with this issue is just that no one had any time to be anyone beyond Sonic, Cream, and Omega. Considering I prefer Sonic more as an adventurer instead of an action hero, and Cream really doesn't do anything for me, it's what made Omega the highlight of this issue for me. Though he additionally has the advantage of being a really simple character who doesn't have a lot beyond his face value so short appearances work well for him. 

Really I'm in a strange place with this arc, as I feel it both needs to slow down and speed up. If I'm supposed to be seeing Sonic experiencing loss then it desperately needs to slow down and strongly focus on his relationships. If I'm supposed to be enjoying a zombie action flick, then it needs to speed up and stop dragging it's feet (mind the pun) and do something. It's been such a weird arc so far. When I can't tell how I'm supposed to take the story because of pacing issues I typically fall back on the characters to carry me through. When they don't have enough attention or time either though it all just falls apart for me. As a result, so far issue 17 has been my favorite of this arc just because the Chaotix really had time to relish the spotlight while playing off of each other and the story. It's especially funny to me that a Chaotix focused issue is my favorite of the arc so far as normally I don't really care about them. So that is one thing I can say this arc has done well so far; it made me enjoy and care about the Chaotix.

Hmm, I guess the arc could benefit from cutting down the character count to make for better focus rather than trying to do what it usually does and cram a whole bunch in one issue. I notice the issues with characterization everyone brings up tend to be in the bigger ensemble issues like this one and the Master Overlord fight. 

38 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I can't say I agree with this. I was worried a Zombie Apocalypse story wouldn't be able to fit within an arc that only had a year to stick around. I'm glad it's going into 2020. These are like the perfect length for someone like me who doesn't prefer things get too episodic here. I loved Sonic X but it was also a comedy first and foremost. There's ways to do little stories like that within arcs I suppose. He's dabbled a bit with that here.

I think people's issues are that the overly long arcs and coming at the expense of the character's personalities to serve the plot; rather than the plot serving the characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I notice the issues with characterization everyone brings up tend to be in the bigger ensemble issues like this one and the Master Overlord fight. 

Which isn't that much of a problem, the lead up to the fight just needed a bit more.

Like the card scene, that was nice, it was...just the only thing.

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I think people's issues are that the overly long arcs and coming at the expense of the character's personalities to serve the plot; rather than the plot serving the characters. 

I've read the examples people have provided but I didn't find myself agreeing with any of them. I didn't engage with them in disagreement either because I'm trying too cool it with how many discussions and arguments I get into at the moment, since, I know I couldn't resist doing so when I really get into things. 

However, I'll just say that I'm not seeing any expense towards the character's personalities. I think the issue where the virus was released in the city where the Chaotix Agency was provided the best ever showcase of how their personalities could be used to serve a more serious storyline. I loved seeing Vector's pragmatism exemplified by the scene with the cars and how it juxtaposed with Charmy's idealism and how that ultimately wound up sealing the young lad's fate.

I love how the tidbits behind Team Dark are being pushed as the most anti-hero side of the agenda. More so with Shadow and Omega. Rouge, of course, has a more stable and approachable position but little lines like "Thank goodness for these noble self-sacrificing types" and her lamenting not being able to make five finger discounts in the city keep her nicely on the edge. I did also appreciate the manipulative side of her returning when she set up that stunt where she gave the Chaotix the lead they needed to find Mr. Tinker. I'm all in on the constant back and forth between Sonic and Shadow and how their clashing ideals are making for an interesting showcase of how efficiency versus kindness as a manner of protecting the Earth can be approached on both their fronts. I'm in possible romantic love with Omega's portrayal and how he's making it very clear he's out for blood. 

And of course, we're getting into some new stuff as well. Ian talked about (on the Bumblekast) how he wanted to go into Amy's stress with shouldering the responsibility for all these people and how she doesn't really want to handle it anymore. Seeing as how he also said that he thought, from the get go, the person in charge should have been Vector, seeing him taking Amy and working with that bit by bit is interesting. I don't necessarily think that means it'll lead to a change in leadership though. Then there's tiny little tidbits that I'm a-okay with being little things that are told to us like Cream's nightmares and such. I don't need an extensive showcase of everything or a long nightmare sequence or whatever. I can get the picture and emphasis accordingly. He's also gotten some nice mileage out of Sonic's mental and physical deterioration...

... At least as far as I'M concerned. It's clear that none of this is good enough for a considerable number of you and that's fine. It is for me. 

If I get even more I certainly won't complain. I don't think this is necessarily a problem that'll be resolved by having the arcs be shorter though. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/28/2019 at 6:54 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Cream is one of best, despite not doing anything super-cutesy. Ian really proves there is a place for her in this franchise. But my favorite is small exchange with Amy. They want a nice small talk , she probably wants flirt a little, he wants to be cool and uplifting, but dang it, situation is really bad and they both aren't doing so well. Good stuff.

Oh yeah, that reminds me of another observation I meant to mention: What's up with "Miss Rose?"

On 8/28/2019 at 7:21 PM, Wraith said:

I dont really get the accusations of favoritism either. Blaze is supposedly a favorite of his and shes one of the comic's most benched characters. 

On 8/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

Not only that, but Blaze has suffered a multitude of defeats across her much more limited screen time to boot. Anyone who trots out that argument to hold up against his treatment of Shadow needs to step back a bit and look at the big picture.

Oh yeah, I remember those talks.

Wonder who's next?

On 8/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Rouge also had the best line of the issue. "Thank Goodness for these noble self-sacrificing types." Spoken like a true anti-hero. I love her.

Yeah, that was a good line.

I'll be completely honest, I keep forgetting that the Deadly Six have the power to override and control robots. It's such an after-thought that seeing it come back like this hit me like a brick-house. I'm also not even sure where this is going

Probably because they haven't used it(or really them) in forever. 

I mean, it's not like it's a part of their innate abilities.

One last little thing; I'm glad my comic shop had the RI cover this week. I got that and Cover B. Cover A was just a bit too generic for me. It was just a picture of Sonic and a picture of Zombot Shadow behind him. Not much in terms of a background either. The RI Cover in comparison was just so beautifully drawn, I had to nab it.

What was that one again?.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:41 PM, dbzfan7 said:

I wanna talk about someone else but I'm afraid to add yet another repeated conversation on top of the Shadow one so I don't really want to say it.

And that would be?

On 8/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I do want to address this, because I feel it's worth mentioning: but I feel like you're looking more for a character based narrative than one centered on an overextending plot. 

Essential to the discrepancy.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:07 PM, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Like for instance; this issue established Cream having nightmares about what happened to Cheese and Chocola two issues ago...with a single panel of dialogue before moving on to the next major plot point. I do agree with Shadowlax that there's no real emotional reaction to Shadow becoming a zombot either; literally one of the strongest guys is now an enemy...and nobody really cares about it, before we move on to the next plot point.

Yeah, those probably could've used a little more /impact.

Oddly enough, it reminds me of what I thought about Amy's appearance here.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:17 PM, Shadowlax said:

Its called critical analysis, its a thing you learn in school.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:33 PM, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I went to college too, so you can stop with the pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

Alright Plankton.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:19 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I feel like the major characterization and emotional stakes issues take root from the storyline's origins - namely that Ian revealed that the arc was originally set down to be the 300th issue milestone story for Archie Sonic.

For context as to where that would've been placed, it would be roughly 12 or so issues after the Shattered World Crisis, so giving about a year of cooldown time for the cast. While details are sketchy, we do know what Ian was planning for the eight to sixteen remaining issues after Genesis of a Hero in particular between Universe and the actual series - the series would've been about both the Freedom Fighters, Sonic, and the SEGA cast going their separate ways and trying to go back to their lives post-SWC. This would've entailed the FF getting a Universe arc where an issue focuses on them (With one of the issues being a reveal that Bunnie was originally from the Sol Dimension IIRC).

What this would mean is that not only would we already have the mountains of world-building already from Shattered World Crisis, but we also would've had a cooldown period that was gonna let us get to know more about not only the comic cast, but the SEGA cast as well, which would've slotted them in perfectly for the Zombot Crisis come Issue 300.

For me personally, I really do feel like the core issues of this storyline is because Ian rushed it into Year 2/3 of the comic, when the planning didn't fit it. Like in a hypothetical timeline where Archie Sonic continued past Issue 300, I could see a lot of these plot moments work a bit better, because the previous 30-40 issues would've built up enough emotional and character stakes to make things have an impact. Like, if we saw Meropis, or Yurashia get hit by the Zombot virus instead of nameless villages filled with nameless citizens we know nothing about, we might've actually gotten hit by a full impact because we had previous arcs that let us get acquainted with these locales, and their cast of characters. 

Granted, I still feel like a lot of the problems would still be present, I don't think this arc is really going to start firing on all jets until we get an issue or two where we just get to see the characters take a moment to try deal with the fallout of the Zombot attacks. No action, no fighting, just give us a full character issue where we get to see in-depth how they're affected by the Zombot Fallout so we can connect with them better. Issue 20 sounds like it's starting to get the right idea of where to take it, but unless they begin to seriously bunker down and go all the way with it, it's just gonna be a half-measure that doesn't hit the mark. 

That's another great, integral point. 

Also, Yurashia was indeed where Tails was gonna go by himself. And Bunnie's issue of the Freedom Fighter Arc was just planting the seed--the reveal would've come during a follow up arc.

On 8/28/2019 at 8:35 PM, Shadowlax said:

Mention this in another post, but in terms of silver... yes? But not in the way you are arguing. Flynn constantly makes a concerted effort to make whatever silver is doing generally matter in whatever storyline , even if its years into the future. And often incorporates him even if he used infrequently into the main narrative. 

Now blaze is a particular case because she's from another world like to make mention as I did in another post. That Ian flynn was going incorporate and canonize that other world, with actual like main book character integration before archie got canceled.

Flynn on multiple occasions made active efforts to integrate a character from the goddamn future, before he bothered  making anything shadow did actually matter. He had silver invovled with goddamn traitor conspiracies. Blaze admittedly less so, but before the comic ended he was putting the effort in.  

Continued in IDW, Silver man from the future predicting some awful calamity. Blaze didn't even need to be there, but not only got an explanation got meaningful imput in the narrative.

To be fair, you kinda have to get concentrated when including those two.

I'm kind of 50/50; I like the scenario the characters are in, but I do agree that things should slow down just a little bit to focus on some character reactions, rather than tha quick panel before moving on. 

Like the absolute non-reaction Shadow gets for turning is an example of that for me; because while I don't agree he's being horribly mistreated, the fact that nobody is treating this as exceptionally dangerous feels off, since it's Shadow as a Zombot. 

I think my biggest peeve though is simply the lack of any real emotional conflict right now, which really hurts my investment in the story. Like there's bit and pieces of a conflict there, but it's not really the focus of these arcs, instead focusing on Sonic saving some town of the week and then having to run off the virus, before coming back to continue saving the town of the week. 

I'm not in the "ZOMG X IS SO OUT OF CHARACTER" crowd, but I can at least understand why people feel the characters aren't really acting themselves. One of the most interesting things you can do in a story is put the cast outside their comfort zone and see how they react and deal with it emotionally, but that's not really the focus of the arc despite the situation. 

On 8/28/2019 at 9:49 PM, Myst said:

How long in the comic book timeline has the metal virus been going on?

Sonic's infection spreads if he isn't running at all times.. How does he manage to sleep?

A couple of days. Maybe over a week..

On 8/28/2019 at 10:17 PM, Meta77 said:

Would make sense. Sega SUCKS at stories honestly

Someone already posted that.

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I'm kind of 50/50; I like the scenario the characters are in, but I do agree that things should slow down just a little bit to focus on some character reactions, rather than tha quick panel before moving on. 

Like the absolute non-reaction Shadow gets for turning is an example of that for me; because while I don't agree he's being horribly mistreated, the fact that nobody is treating this as exceptionally dangerous feels off, since it's Shadow as a Zombot. 

I think my biggest peeve though is simply the lack of any real emotional conflict right now, which really hurts my investment in the story. Like there's bit and pieces of a conflict there, but it's not really the focus of these arcs, instead focusing on Sonic saving some town of the week and then having to run off the virus, before coming back to continue saving the town of the week. 

I'm not in the "ZOMG X IS SO OUT OF CHARACTER" crowd, but I can at least understand why people feel the characters aren't really acting themselves. One of the most interesting things you can do in a story is put the cast outside their comfort zone and see how they react and deal with it emotionally, but that's not really the focus of the arc despite the situation. 

I don't see any lack of real emotional conflict. I've been feeling the heaviness pretty consistently. I guess I just don't get what the problem is. I don't know what it's meant by "aren't really acting themselves". This seems like a relatively well-done portrayal of their characters and how they'd react to me. 

I wasn't looking for any particular kind of reaction to Shadow turning. They seem to be rather tied up with a lot of problems and dealing with it in different ways. Sonic's tired as hell. Amy's stressed out. The Chaotix are zeroed in on getting Charmy back despite the futility of it. Cream's having nightmares. The person closest to Shadow is Rouge and I thought her reaction was perfect for her character. A disheveled head-turn and an angry stomping off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Like the absolute non-reaction Shadow gets for turning is an example of that for me;

At least Rouge says something about it...kinda.

Sonic's too busy making fun of him and not having corresponding facial expressions.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic's too busy making fun of him and not having corresponding facial expressions.

And that I just took as Sonic trying to off-set the situation with his usual kind of banter. His facial expressions are that of a worried guy, despite the stuff coming out of his mouth. It seemed on purpose to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's a concept I get, but it didn't really connect here.

It's all good. He stops being worried 2 pages later.

That's a concept I get, but it didn't really connect here.

It's all good. He stops being worried 2 pages later.

It connected with me. I'm not sure what about it didn't hit with you guys I guess.

And yeah, his expression changes a couple of times when there's different things he's reacting to during the fight. Then afterward, he looks like he's about to zombify from sheer sleep deprivation and sadness for the rest of the issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2019 at 11:16 AM, Tangled Jack said:

heck, my favorite character hasn't shown up in the comic yet, so how should I feel?

...Big?

On 8/29/2019 at 6:01 AM, Tangled Jack said:

I'm not shocked by all of this mess because Ian has always been accused to play favorites, game fans and Sonamy fans accused him of using Sally as a pet character, and vice versa the SatAM fans thought he was killing them off later in the original continuity. Shipping Wars… blah blah blah.Similar to that, he gets accused of hating Shadow

That's just how some people/fans are gonna be.

Besides, no one pointed out that Knuckles is one of his admitted top favorite characters, and where is he in this arc?

On Angel Island.

By the way, I requested this cover and here it is, Surprise!

image0.jpg

Yep, that's Hesse, and it's the cover for issue #25, an extra long issue.

Oh hey, look at that!

Also, what the heck is Vector doing? 

On 8/29/2019 at 11:09 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You know, I just realised, have we had any solicits for past Issue 25? Because I could see that being the finale to the Metal Virus arc.

On 8/29/2019 at 11:31 AM, Tangled Jack said:

We only know it continues up to 2020, so if it ends in January it'll be disappointing.

Eh, it would fit.

On 8/29/2019 at 3:06 PM, caitash said:

I thought I heard somewhere that something continues after the zombot arc, maybe that something that continues is the Zeti’s involvement or whatever it is that’s slightly different in Silver’s future than what’s unfolding at the moment. I’m enjoying it anyway and while I want the issue releases to speed up I also don’t want this arc to fully end anytime soon. 

I wonder who will be infected next and when. Still taking bets on Sonic being fully infected before the end of the arc, but now the Zeti are presumably going to be involved it’s anyone’s guess. I wonder if they’ll go for direct revenge from the events of Lost World (i.e target Eggman/Sonic/Tails)or if they’ll just generally go for anyone and anything upon their (assumed) return.

The canon is that they(or at least Zavok and Zazz) have been attacking Sonic and some of the others whenever they felt like it, so it could go either way. Probably both.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:02 PM, Kellodrawsalot said:

At this point Flynn is becoming the scapegoat for every nitpicky Sonic fan (mostly from the Penders/OldArchie fanbase) but its really getting tiring its kind of crazy how so many fans accuse Flynn is being biased from accusing him of shoving Sonamy or Sonally down people's throat and dislking their preferred Sonic ship at the same time. (srsy how could either groups not see the flawed argument here) stop trying to accuse Flynn and maybe focus on your issue with Sonic Team themselves and their direction of the characters.

I like how his tangential(read: most likely not even acknowledging) solution to that was, in addition to cutting the relationship stuff out anyway, just having them share a number of moments early on.

On 8/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, Meta77 said:

I really hope the zeti are not long term villains.  They are some of the  most goofy villains out there. 

Um...what are we reading?

On 8/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, Meta77 said:

Compared to neo their threat is small. 

Uh, idk, Neo didn't really get to do much himself iirc.

Maybe

Honestly I'd love to see a good female villain added to the series and not a old witch but someone who you would not expect.  Imagine a evil tikal or ghost girl lol 😛 Jk

So what you're saying is time to get real nasty in the pool with Chaos?

(Double reference ftw)

On 8/29/2019 at 6:08 PM, Kellodrawsalot said:

My point was that your focus should be more on ''why is Sonic Team okay with the character portrayal here'' (not that you have to agree with them)

You know what,

considering this arc was pitched to Mr. Iuzuka himself.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

I wasn't really disappointed in Shadow's characterization until I saw him in issue nineteen..... I don't know what rules are here for spoilers but needless to say I was pretty disappointed.

The issues' already out, so I don't think it'll hurt anything.

On 8/29/2019 at 8:15 PM, Fire-N-Space said:

Is Amy in IDW supposed to this mundane why doesn't she get any sleep there must be some kind of second in command or just more office workers to help things run better if this is "war" times.Amy is getting more out of character as this book go's on and it makes me think why didn't they just make a new character for this role did Amy have such a big crush on Sonic so much that the writer feels the need to attach Amy to a computer to give the feeling of growth instead of having her interact with things with her already existing personality?

I kinda had to wonder the same thing.

And why did Shadow think he was immortal just jumping head first in to a zombie pile?    

...Because he is?

On 8/29/2019 at 8:36 PM, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The excessive amounts of it makes it feel like it's more, so forgive me. 

Eh, Icy Hot isn't so bad.

On 8/29/2019 at 6:28 PM, Shadowlax said:

If those leaks scripts were real , ruby eclipse were strait up telling sega the stuff was bad and they did not give a shit. What do I gain questioning them in this instance?

Who?

26 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...Big?

That's just how some people/fans are gonna be.

On Angel Island.

Oh hey, look at that!

Also, what the heck is Vector doing? 

Eh, it would fit.

The canon is that they(or at least Zavok and Zazz) have been attacking Sonic and some of the others whenever they felt like it, so it could go either way. Probably both.

I like how his tangential(read: most likely not even acknowledging) solution to that was, in addition to cutting the relationship stuff out anyway, just having them share a number of moments early on.

Um...what are we reading?

Uh, idk, Neo didn't really get to do much himself iirc.

Maybe

So what you're saying is time to get real nasty in the pool with Chaos?

(Double reference ftw)

You know what,

considering this arc was pitched to Mr. Iuzuka himself.

The issues' already out, so I don't think it'll hurt anything.

I kinda had to wonder the same thing.

...Because he is?

Eh, Icy Hot isn't so bad.

Who?

Ruby eclipse is a common screen name for the current community manager on sites

He's even on this site

On 8/29/2019 at 10:10 PM, Sonictrainer said:

I'm still wondering what Knuckles is doing while all of this is happening.

He appears on the Crayon Recap Map...

Watching the Master Emerald and recuperating from leading a fucking six month war.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:16 PM, Fire-N-Space said:

Ian Flynn stories are to serious for a Mario comic feels like he'll start changing things that don't need to be changed.

19 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

. I think the potential very serious story that could happen about some form of an abuse relationship in the side book is kinda neat.

Uh, can I ask what's up with this nowadays?

19 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

To me adapting Mario games is bad idea. It kind worked for Mega Man, cause he had fairly complex plots for a NES games (and later tittles didn't really evolved). Flynn could connect games, introduce characters before the adaption, giving them more depth, polish the barely explored world.Mario has 2 types games: that have no story to tell and few 3D that had their story told in satisfying way. Okay, Mario 1,2 and Sunshine may have enough unexplored ideas, but how do you do Super Mario World, let alone "New Mario" tittles?

Eh, you say that, but I know there's--myself included.

Granted, mine is more my own characters and stories than directly using Mario stuff and it almost certainly ain't seeing the light of day nevermind getting carried away, but...

What were we talking about?

Nah, if I was writing I would try IDW Sonic, world post games. More toys to play with. I would start as quirky fun adventures Like first issue would be about trying to build kidnap-proof castle for Peach,  next about Bowser Jr  kidnapping Toadette and trying to establish Toad as his nenemis like his Papa with Mario, but Jr has no idea to run this thing, leading to hijinks. And after year or two of silliness I would check if Nintendo let's me do something more ambitious, like big arc about Tatanga returning.

And what are your hopes/expectations on other Nintendo IPs?

Oh, that sounds fun! Might have to come back to this.

10 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Btw, about the Deadly Six showing up, obviously Starline doesn't know this, but they don't simply control machines, they can do weird things with them, as seen in Lost World, which is the worst written Sonic game so they don't really explain that very well, but it's there. I wonder what surprises might come out of the Zombots...

Holy shit, someone besides me remembers that!

. Also Splatoon, as he can make great characters out of avatars (see Whisper).

Whisper is her own character, though.

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

He has a larger than life style and likes to cram as many characters, plot points, etc into a story as possible and move as quick as he can when Zelda imo should be quieter and slower paced. 

That's understandable.

9 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Dafuq?

Seriously?

Yeah, they had to go back in and reanimate stuff a number of times, that being one of the more notable ones.

9 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

but he proved with IDW that there is no need to introduce them so frequently, besides the very first issues, there weren't many introductions compared to the Archie days.

To be fair, that was really only the reboot and he did that because he both had to refill the world, reinterpret some of the older characters, and adapt Unleashed.

4 hours ago, Slashy said:

I think abandoning year long arcs and having every arc be 2-6 issues would go a long way in fixing this comic's problems. It would allow stories to be built more around the characters rather than the other way around.

Also not basing itself so heavily on Forces would help as well. I think the resistance has run its course and so have the plethora of dull looking cities/villages.

Technically speaking, the Resistance hasn't been a thing since year one ended.

Which isn't that much of a problem, the lead up to the fight just needed a bit more.

Like the card scene, that was nice, it was...just the only thing.

Knuckles cursing himself for having had to leave Angel Island for so long? Whisper thanking Sonic for his hospitality and eyeing Shadow?

15 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Ruby eclipse is a common screen name for the current community manager on sites

He's even on this site

Huh.

And he was at Sonic Team?

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Huh.

And he was at Sonic Team?

As far as I know, he still is. He's the community mangery guy , you know the guy with glasses

4 hours ago, Slashy said:

I think abandoning year long arcs and having every arc be 2-6 issues would go a long way in fixing this comic's problems. It would allow stories to be built more around the characters rather than the other way around.

Also not basing itself so heavily on Forces would help as well. I think the resistance has run its course and so have the plethora of dull looking cities/villages.

First of all Comics in general have been focused on Decompressedstorytelling for a long long time now. Personally I blame Brian Michael Bendis and Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm just saying Spider-Man's origin story shouldn't be 7 Goddamn Issues long!

Second look I get it Forces is the current worst game ever of all time but it kinda makes sense that the comic uses it as a template. It's the most recent game most people will have played it before the comic started and potential new fans would be most familiar with it so keeping to that world is honestly the most logical decision they could have made.

6 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

First of all Comics in general have been focused on Decompressedstorytelling for a long long time now. Personally I blame Brian Michael Bendis and Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm just saying Spider-Man's origin story shouldn't be 7 Goddamn Issues long!

Second look I get it Forces is the current worst game ever of all time but it kinda makes sense that the comic uses it as a template. It's the most recent game most people will have played it before the comic started and potential new fans would be most familiar with it so keeping to that world is honestly the most logical decision they could have made.

Then why haven't they capitalized on it beyond saying "oh, Amy was totally the real leader all along"?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Then why haven't they capitalized on it beyond saying "oh, Amy was totally the real leader all along"?

The intention was a mixture of taking advantage of the latest outing from Sonic at the time as well as the fact that he couldn't resist the set-up that the game had at the very end of it. He's spoken about how the mileage may vary on whether or not it was a good idea to do so recently.

Nothing's perfect after all. I will say I do think he's capitalized on a bit more than just clarifying that Amy held things together but that depends on what details you care about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

True but at least neo was basically insane and his theme is even more so trying to prove hes the real sonic. Why idw made him go dragon again when his neo form was trashing sonic and gang is still odd

All I know the zeti for is their goofy clown car them music.  The green one having a ton of "art" and them draining the earth's life force??

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't see any lack of real emotional conflict. I've been feeling the heaviness pretty consistently. I guess I just don't get what the problem is. I don't know what it's meant by "aren't really acting themselves". This seems like a relatively well-done portrayal of their characters and how they'd react to me. 

I wasn't looking for any particular kind of reaction to Shadow turning. They seem to be rather tied up with a lot of problems and dealing with it in different ways.

If they can't react to the big thing the book is supposedly is about, they shouldn't be in the book. Because it communicates effetely communicates when the character who might care, makes a face. And that's it. That you should not give a shit about this character. This character held no value to anyone and was only an angry idiot. If he couldn't find the time to make folks care about shadow. And not just a " He was my friend way " but also uh "Having a non morality having version of shadow just about is uh... no bueno. " they don't focus an entire story beat around that. Or don't include characters who wouldn't have anything to say on the situation.

Sonic's tired as hell. Amy's stressed out. The Chaotix are zeroed in on getting Charmy back despite the futility of it. Cream's having nightmares.

Those things are neat,  put those things in another issue.

The person closest to Shadow is Rouge and I thought her reaction was perfect for her character. A disheveled head-turn and an angry stomping off. 

Its not really, which brings me the 2nd issue on why the lack of reaction isn't good. Which is , no one contemplates anything. And the two people who should be contemplating things the most... aren't.

I don't want rouge to weep, ain't her style. However she's smart, but also more importantly. She's considerate. You know what would have been a thing should have considered in that moment that would have taken it from " barely a reaction " to " OH hey character development. That's she's the reason eggman is alive! She purposefully misdirected shadow and informed other parties so they could stop him from murdering eggman. If she would have minded her business they wouldn't have happened. She thought she knew better in that situation and it directly resulted in the loss of her friend. She should be reacting to this thing, that would have been a cool development for that character .She would have actually had like...development. But we got tsun tsun bat lady.

Now I will pride this point with a caveat. Given some hypothetical issues.

Sega may not have wanted her to give any type of bigger reaction, even if she may have involved in the situations starting point. Segahas made a thing that team is barely a team and doesn't seem to care much about eachother. So ... yeah , nothing else to say about that. If it turns out that was the case i'll retract my statement. While I don't think you can blame sega for scene direction and such , that's one of those editorials that would legit effect everything about that situation. And would mean that he would have to fill time with other characters doing stuff. (  I mean I would make the argument that if you can't have the characters react because sega's telling you, you can't. Maybe don't have things like that happen to the characters. Maybe you should try writing around the restrictions instead of hitting a brick wall of characterization blockage, but that's another conversation for another time )

Same suggestion for sonic. Do I want him weeping? God no that's reserved for amy and tails. However, having a moment where he wanted to call shadow dumb. And then realized " Oh hey , he wanted to kill the guy who made this entire thing happen... am I the big dumb " even if he would have shook it off. Him having a thought would have indication that he cared to some degree.

But hold on, I would like to rewind to last year real quick. Where I said and i'm paraphrasing a bit " Having a conflict where eggman is the focus a character you can't kill, in a children's comic where the protagonist can't even humor the idea murder is good will make the entire interaction between these two characters be rendered pointless. Because it will never be addressed in any significant degree " . And that's what happened, it wasn't even addressed no one gave a crap shadow was gone. And that communicates to the reader they shouldn't care either.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The intention was a mixture of taking advantage of the latest outing from Sonic at the time as well as the fact that he couldn't resist the set-up that the game had at the very end of it. He's spoken about how the mileage may vary on whether or not it was a good idea to do so recently.

Nothing's perfect after all. I will say I do think he's capitalized on a bit more than just clarifying that Amy held things together but that depends on what details you care about. 

Oh I know that much, I was being partially facetious.

Still, sucks that we haven't had much else, which is part of why Shadow sucks.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Oh I know that much, I was being partially facetious.

Still, sucks that we haven't had much else, which is part of why Shadow sucks.

I'm still in the camp that's not really seeing where the heavy disparity is coming from.

It's strange because when disagreements happen, I'm usually able to at least see where it's coming from and understand despite disagreeing but I'm finding that I'm just not seeing what the issues are. At least,not to the heavy extent you guys are. 

I suppose that's okay. It means I'm enjoying the book more but it's a little frustrating too because its inableling me from even attempting to converse about it. I mostly just post my thoughts on the issue and pop in and out from time to time.

Like, I don't think Shadow sucks here. I've heard all the reasons why people think he does and I don't agree so I just move on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow's been better since he was turned.

It answered one of the biggest questions I've ever had since 3 days ago.

Does Shadow really need his skates to be fast?

Yes, yes he does. And he's not even that fast without them.

• Thumbs Up 1