Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...Big?

That's just how some people/fans are gonna be.

 

On Angel Island.

Oh hey, look at that!

Also, what the heck is Vector doing? 

 

Eh, it would fit.

The canon is that they(or at least Zavok and Zazz) have been attacking Sonic and some of the others whenever they felt like it, so it could go either way. Probably both.

I like how his tangential(read: most likely not even acknowledging) solution to that was, in addition to cutting the relationship stuff out anyway, just having them share a number of moments early on.

Um...what are we reading?

Uh, idk, Neo didn't really get to do much himself iirc.

Maybe

So what you're saying is time to get real nasty in the pool with Chaos?

(Double reference ftw)

You know what,

 

considering this arc was pitched to Mr. Iuzuka himself.

 

The issues' already out, so I don't think it'll hurt anything.

I kinda had to wonder the same thing.

 

...Because he is?

Eh, Icy Hot isn't so bad.

 

Who?

Ruby eclipse is a common screen name for the current community manager on sites

He's even on this site

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2019 at 10:10 PM, Sonictrainer said:

I'm still wondering what Knuckles is doing while all of this is happening.

He appears on the Crayon Recap Map...

Watching the Master Emerald and recuperating from leading a fucking six month war.

On 8/29/2019 at 10:16 PM, Fire-N-Space said:

Ian Flynn stories are to serious for a Mario comic feels like he'll start changing things that don't need to be changed.

 

19 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

. I think the potential very serious story that could happen about some form of an abuse relationship in the side book is kinda neat.

Uh, can I ask what's up with this nowadays?

19 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

To me adapting Mario games is bad idea. It kind worked for Mega Man, cause he had fairly complex plots for a NES games (and later tittles didn't really evolved). Flynn could connect games, introduce characters before the adaption, giving them more depth, polish the barely explored world.Mario has 2 types games: that have no story to tell and few 3D that had their story told in satisfying way. Okay, Mario 1,2 and Sunshine may have enough unexplored ideas, but how do you do Super Mario World, let alone "New Mario" tittles?

Eh, you say that, but I know there's--myself included.

Granted, mine is more my own characters and stories than directly using Mario stuff and it almost certainly ain't seeing the light of day nevermind getting carried away, but...

What were we talking about?

Quote

 Nah, if I was writing I would try IDW Sonic, world post games. More toys to play with. I would start as quirky fun adventures Like first issue would be about trying to build kidnap-proof castle for Peach,  next about Bowser Jr  kidnapping Toadette and trying to establish Toad as his nenemis like his Papa with Mario, but Jr has no idea to run this thing, leading to hijinks. And after year or two of silliness I would check if Nintendo let's me do something more ambitious, like big arc about Tatanga returning.

And what are your hopes/expectations on other Nintendo IPs?

Oh, that sounds fun! Might have to come back to this.

 

10 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Btw, about the Deadly Six showing up, obviously Starline doesn't know this, but they don't simply control machines, they can do weird things with them, as seen in Lost World, which is the worst written Sonic game so they don't really explain that very well, but it's there. I wonder what surprises might come out of the Zombots...

Holy shit, someone besides me remembers that!

Quote

. Also Splatoon, as he can make great characters out of avatars (see Whisper).

Whisper is her own character, though.

 

10 hours ago, Wraith said:

He has a larger than life style and likes to cram as many characters, plot points, etc into a story as possible and move as quick as he can when Zelda imo should be quieter and slower paced. 

That's understandable.

9 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Dafuq?

Seriously?

Yeah, they had to go back in and reanimate stuff a number of times, that being one of the more notable ones.

 

9 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

but he proved with IDW that there is no need to introduce them so frequently, besides the very first issues, there weren't many introductions compared to the Archie days.

To be fair, that was really only the reboot and he did that because he both had to refill the world, reinterpret some of the older characters, and adapt Unleashed.

4 hours ago, Slashy said:

I think abandoning year long arcs and having every arc be 2-6 issues would go a long way in fixing this comic's problems. It would allow stories to be built more around the characters rather than the other way around.

Also not basing itself so heavily on Forces would help as well. I think the resistance has run its course and so have the plethora of dull looking cities/villages.

Technically speaking, the Resistance hasn't been a thing since year one ended.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Which isn't that much of a problem, the lead up to the fight just needed a bit more.

Like the card scene, that was nice, it was...just the only thing.

Knuckles cursing himself for having had to leave Angel Island for so long? Whisper thanking Sonic for his hospitality and eyeing Shadow?

15 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Ruby eclipse is a common screen name for the current community manager on sites

He's even on this site

Huh.

And he was at Sonic Team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slashy said:

I think abandoning year long arcs and having every arc be 2-6 issues would go a long way in fixing this comic's problems. It would allow stories to be built more around the characters rather than the other way around.

Also not basing itself so heavily on Forces would help as well. I think the resistance has run its course and so have the plethora of dull looking cities/villages.

First of all Comics in general have been focused on Decompressedstorytelling for a long long time now. Personally I blame Brian Michael Bendis and Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm just saying Spider-Man's origin story shouldn't be 7 Goddamn Issues long!

Second look I get it Forces is the current worst game ever of all time but it kinda makes sense that the comic uses it as a template. It's the most recent game most people will have played it before the comic started and potential new fans would be most familiar with it so keeping to that world is honestly the most logical decision they could have made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

First of all Comics in general have been focused on Decompressedstorytelling for a long long time now. Personally I blame Brian Michael Bendis and Ultimate Spider-Man. I'm just saying Spider-Man's origin story shouldn't be 7 Goddamn Issues long!

Second look I get it Forces is the current worst game ever of all time but it kinda makes sense that the comic uses it as a template. It's the most recent game most people will have played it before the comic started and potential new fans would be most familiar with it so keeping to that world is honestly the most logical decision they could have made.

Then why haven't they capitalized on it beyond saying "oh, Amy was totally the real leader all along"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Then why haven't they capitalized on it beyond saying "oh, Amy was totally the real leader all along"?

The intention was a mixture of taking advantage of the latest outing from Sonic at the time as well as the fact that he couldn't resist the set-up that the game had at the very end of it. He's spoken about how the mileage may vary on whether or not it was a good idea to do so recently.

Nothing's perfect after all. I will say I do think he's capitalized on a bit more than just clarifying that Amy held things together but that depends on what details you care about. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True but at least neo was basically insane and his theme is even more so trying to prove hes the real sonic. Why idw made him go dragon again when his neo form was trashing sonic and gang is still odd

All I know the zeti for is their goofy clown car them music.  The green one having a ton of "art" and them draining the earth's life force??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't see any lack of real emotional conflict. I've been feeling the heaviness pretty consistently. I guess I just don't get what the problem is. I don't know what it's meant by "aren't really acting themselves". This seems like a relatively well-done portrayal of their characters and how they'd react to me. 

I wasn't looking for any particular kind of reaction to Shadow turning. They seem to be rather tied up with a lot of problems and dealing with it in different ways.

 

If they can't react to the big thing the book is supposedly is about, they shouldn't be in the book. Because it communicates effetely communicates when the character who might care, makes a face. And that's it. That you should not give a shit about this character. This character held no value to anyone and was only an angry idiot. If he couldn't find the time to make folks care about shadow. And not just a " He was my friend way " but also uh "Having a non morality having version of shadow just about is uh... no bueno. " they don't focus an entire story beat around that. Or don't include characters who wouldn't have anything to say on the situation.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Sonic's tired as hell. Amy's stressed out. The Chaotix are zeroed in on getting Charmy back despite the futility of it. Cream's having nightmares.

Those things are neat,  put those things in another issue.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

 

The person closest to Shadow is Rouge and I thought her reaction was perfect for her character. A disheveled head-turn and an angry stomping off. 

 

Its not really, which brings me the 2nd issue on why the lack of reaction isn't good. Which is , no one contemplates anything. And the two people who should be contemplating things the most... aren't.

I don't want rouge to weep, ain't her style. However she's smart, but also more importantly. She's considerate. You know what would have been a thing should have considered in that moment that would have taken it from " barely a reaction " to " OH hey character development. That's she's the reason eggman is alive! She purposefully misdirected shadow and informed other parties so they could stop him from murdering eggman. If she would have minded her business they wouldn't have happened. She thought she knew better in that situation and it directly resulted in the loss of her friend. She should be reacting to this thing, that would have been a cool development for that character .She would have actually had like...development. But we got tsun tsun bat lady.

Now I will pride this point with a caveat. Given some hypothetical issues.

Sega may not have wanted her to give any type of bigger reaction, even if she may have involved in the situations starting point. Segahas made a thing that team is barely a team and doesn't seem to care much about eachother. So ... yeah , nothing else to say about that. If it turns out that was the case i'll retract my statement. While I don't think you can blame sega for scene direction and such , that's one of those editorials that would legit effect everything about that situation. And would mean that he would have to fill time with other characters doing stuff. (  I mean I would make the argument that if you can't have the characters react because sega's telling you, you can't. Maybe don't have things like that happen to the characters. Maybe you should try writing around the restrictions instead of hitting a brick wall of characterization blockage, but that's another conversation for another time )

Same suggestion for sonic. Do I want him weeping? God no that's reserved for amy and tails. However, having a moment where he wanted to call shadow dumb. And then realized " Oh hey , he wanted to kill the guy who made this entire thing happen... am I the big dumb " even if he would have shook it off. Him having a thought would have indication that he cared to some degree.

But hold on, I would like to rewind to last year real quick. Where I said and i'm paraphrasing a bit " Having a conflict where eggman is the focus a character you can't kill, in a children's comic where the protagonist can't even humor the idea murder is good will make the entire interaction between these two characters be rendered pointless. Because it will never be addressed in any significant degree " . And that's what happened, it wasn't even addressed no one gave a crap shadow was gone. And that communicates to the reader they shouldn't care either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The intention was a mixture of taking advantage of the latest outing from Sonic at the time as well as the fact that he couldn't resist the set-up that the game had at the very end of it. He's spoken about how the mileage may vary on whether or not it was a good idea to do so recently.

Nothing's perfect after all. I will say I do think he's capitalized on a bit more than just clarifying that Amy held things together but that depends on what details you care about. 

 

Oh I know that much, I was being partially facetious.

Still, sucks that we haven't had much else, which is part of why Shadow sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Oh I know that much, I was being partially facetious.

Still, sucks that we haven't had much else, which is part of why Shadow sucks.

I'm still in the camp that's not really seeing where the heavy disparity is coming from.

It's strange because when disagreements happen, I'm usually able to at least see where it's coming from and understand despite disagreeing but I'm finding that I'm just not seeing what the issues are. At least,not to the heavy extent you guys are. 

I suppose that's okay. It means I'm enjoying the book more but it's a little frustrating too because its inableling me from even attempting to converse about it. I mostly just post my thoughts on the issue and pop in and out from time to time.

Like, I don't think Shadow sucks here. I've heard all the reasons why people think he does and I don't agree so I just move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose it depends on what you're getting out of a character/villain, whether in impact or in general.

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

True but at least neo was basically insane and his theme is even more so trying to prove hes the real sonic. Why idw made him go dragon again when his neo form was trashing sonic and gang is still odd

Oh, I get that much, since it was basically the bulk of his role in Heroes.

I just meant that he didn't really get to just do much on his own before inevitably transforming back. Issue 7 is the most he's ever gotten to do (although I guess you could count Archie issues 157 or whatever if it mattered).

Which sorta brings me back to my [second?] thought regarding this arc's establishment.

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

All I know the zeti for is their goofy clown car them music.  The green one having a ton of "art" and them draining the earth's life force??

youtube.com/watch?v=mMCRffoTiGE

You know, I was trying to decide if you had a point, but then I realized

As for the Deadly Six, they are an odd bunch. If little else, they did initially emphasize each of them as having their own particular motifs, abilities, and/or fighting styles.

 

16 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Shadow's been better since he was turned.

It answered one of the biggest questions I've ever had since 3 days ago.

Does Shadow really need his skates to be fast?

Yes, yes he does. And he's not even that fast without them.

True dat.

Although he's still a game Sonic character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I suppose it depends on what you're getting out of a character/villain, whether in impact or in general.

Sure. 

I suppose the other reason I'm not engaging as much with the thread is because there's a part of me that's a little saddened by the disconnect in our opinions. I'm finally getting the Sonic comic I've always wanted but the thread as a whole seems to not like it so the excitement I have to talk about it is a bit tempered. Which is a shame. I wish I could just come on here and gush about something that's bringing me joy from the series.

Like, fucking finally, SOMETHING is bringing me consistent joy from this series. 

Again though, not mad. Definitely a bit sad but not angry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said it before, but every fan wants something different out of this series; what you may think is amazing, someone else might find just alright. 

 

There's literally no way for everyone's opinions are ever going to coincide with each other, and given the schizophrenic nature of this franchise, that's likely never going to happen...ever.

 

So yea, this book is either the most amazing thing since sliced bread to you, but is boring shlock filled with OOC characters to another. There's literally never going to be a consensus if people aren't willing to be a little open minded. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Sure. 

I suppose the other reason I'm not engaging as much with the thread is because there's a part of me that's a little saddened by the disconnect in our opinions. I'm finally getting the Sonic comic I've always wanted but the thread as a whole seems to not like it so the excitement I have to talk about it is a bit tempered. Which is a shame. I wish I could just come on here and gush about something that's bringing me joy from the series.

Like, fucking finally, SOMETHING is bringing me consistent joy from this series. 

Again though, not mad. Definitely a bit sad but not angry.

Oh, I was actually talking to genie jez. That happens sometimes. 

32 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm still in the camp that's not really seeing where the heavy disparity is coming from.

It's strange because when disagreements happen, I'm usually able to at least see where it's coming from and understand despite disagreeing but I'm finding that I'm just not seeing what the issues are. At least,not to the heavy extent you guys are. 

I suppose that's okay. It means I'm enjoying the book more but it's a little frustrating too because its inableling me from even attempting to converse about it. I mostly just post my thoughts on the issue and pop in and out from time to time.

Like, I don't think Shadow sucks here. I've heard all the reasons why people think he does and I don't agree so I just move on. 

What details were you talking about before? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The intention was a mixture of taking advantage of the latest outing from Sonic at the time as well as the fact that he couldn't resist the set-up that the game had at the very end of it. He's spoken about how the mileage may vary on whether or not it was a good idea to do so recently.

Nothing's perfect after all. I will say I do think he's capitalized on a bit more than just clarifying that Amy held things together but that depends on what details you care about. 

 

It doesn't feel like it. Forces hasn't had any real significance on the plot besides amy spouting exposition , all the narrative that is supposedly connected to forces has yet to manifest anything specific  to it. As of the last issue, lost world has manifested more tangible elements to the narrative as forces. Not only have they been manifested in some areas they have been actively denied like infinite himself. This could change, right? There's time, but as of currently its just... a buncha exposition. Which kinda sucks for amy because she's a lot more interesting than being an exposition machine for forces of all things.

3 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Hmm, I guess the arc could benefit from cutting down the character count to make for better focus rather than trying to do what it usually does and cram a whole bunch in one issue. I notice the issues with characterization everyone brings up tend to be in the bigger ensemble issues like this one and the Master Overlord fight. 

I feel like the issue with this is the lack of other books? Like usually when things have events there are other books to explain what's happening with everyone. But the only other book has nothing to do with this. Now its like year 2 and maybe they can't ask for like 3 books, but then i would just ask if you feel as though you don't have the room to tell a story... why tell that story at this time? Till you have some clout and some other books. I dunno

3 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I think people's issues are that the overly long arcs and coming at the expense of the character's personalities to serve the plot; rather than the plot serving the characters. 

This isn't great , but its this in combination with " nothing seems like it matters " , events do weird stuff with characters all the time  , but usually there are lasting effects ( for better or for worse ) after the fact. DC regularly uses huge events to reboot its universe. Not expecting a reboot or nothing , but like the characters are gonna be fine and reset after this is over and it will most likely have little effect on their interactions. And while they may change in future. At least in year 1 to 2, its not mattering much besides set up. The stories that he's writing seem contradictory to the space in which he can write them. Why not start off with different stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I said it before, but every fan wants something different out of this series; what you may think is amazing, someone else might find just alright. 

 

There's literally no way for everyone's opinions are ever going to coincide with each other, and given the schizophrenic nature of this franchise, that's likely never going to happen...ever.

 

So yea, this book is either the most amazing thing since sliced bread to you, but is boring shlock filled with OOC characters to another. There's literally never going to be a consensus if people aren't willing to be a little open minded. 

Well, I didn't say it was perfect or anything. The struggle is mostly the fallout from when it comes to engaging with the community here as a result. Often, when you feel you're too lonely on one side of a debate you tend to not want to engage in it as much. Especially if you're not a combative person. Even worse if you're not able to fully understand why the other side feels the way they do. Most of what I've gotten in response to my explanations for why I like it is just people talking about it not being enough for them or having a different opinion on how they think a character should act. 

I can be happy about the book all I want but if the people I chill with aren't enjoying it then there's going to eventually come a point where there's only going to be so much you'll get out of a discussion and an argument. After a certain point, neglecting the side of you that wants to actually share your enthusiasm for something with someone else for too long just makes you feel kind of bad. 

So I pop in to give thoughts on the latest issue, skim through the thread, and then peace out mostly. I think this is the most I've been talking about it because I've been trying to sort out what it is I've been feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Well, I didn't say it was perfect or anything. The struggle is mostly the fallout from when it comes to engaging with the community here as a result. Often, when you feel you're too lonely on one side of a debate you tend to not want to engage in it as much. Especially if you're not a combative person. Even worse if you're not able to fully understand why the other side feels the way they do. Most of what I've gotten in response to my explanations for why I like it is just people talking about it not being enough for them or having a different opinion on how they think a character should act. 

I can be happy about the book all I want but if the people I chill with aren't enjoying it then there's going to eventually come a point where there's only going to be so much you'll get out of a discussion and an argument. After a certain point, neglecting the side of you that wants to actually share your enthusiasm for something with someone else for too long just makes you feel kind of bad. 

So I pop in to give thoughts on the latest issue, skim through the thread, and then peace out mostly. I think this is the most I've been talking about it because I've been trying to sort out what it is I've been feeling.

You treat the comedic elements of Sonic X as an intentional style for that particular comic/cartoon where as I view it as a faithful attempt to stay true to what the series is all about. The lack of comedy or upbeat moments in this story is one of a few reasons I find it nearly as bad as 06's story.

It is clear this arc draws inspiration from the Walking Dead and I feel that a Sonic zombie story should have something like Zombieland as its inspiration.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slashy said:

You treat the comedic elements of Sonic X as an intentional style for that particular comic/cartoon where as I view it as a faithful attempt to stay true to what the series is all about. The lack of comedy or upbeat moments in this story is one of a few reasons I find it nearly as bad as 06's story.

It is clear this arc draws inspiration from the Walking Dead and I feel that a Sonic zombie story should have something like Zombieland as its inspiration.

I don't see how that's a response to what I said there but okay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't see how that's a response to what I said there but okay. 

Moreso giving an example of the fact that I don't think there is anyway I can enjoy this arc anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slashy said:

Moreso giving an example of the fact that I don't think there is anyway I can enjoy this arc anymore.

That's fine but I'm not sure what the point in telling me that was. Was it so that I could know there's more people who don't like it? I'm aware of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wraith said:

He has a larger than life style and likes to cram as many characters, plot points, etc into a story as possible and move as quick as he can when Zelda imo should be quieter and slower paced. 

If this is the case, what is your opinion on Akira Himekawa's Zelda manga? I only have his Ocarina of Time series, and I think he did the game well enough. And then there's a Twilight Princess series, where he's taking a lot of time to explore the story, being longer than other Zelda series so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.