Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Hey @Dr. Detective Mike, sorry to hear I've been dragging down the dialog around the comic for you. It's not even my intention to do as such. I just find that if I explain my stance it becomes easier for eth other party to see where I'm coming from. It's why I enjoy seeing you share your enthusiasm as it may highlight something I missed. So again I apologize for making the surrounding conversations unpleasant to partake in. So let's see if we can't make a negative viewpoint a point of interesting discourse.

I appreciate the sentiment. You're very kind.

However, I've been doing a bit of reflecting on my thoughts while at work (because work is mostly boring) and I think I'm coming more to terms with it.

I can handle negativity. I just think what my issue was is that because I wasn't able to understand why it was so heavy I was fretting over whether there was something wrong with my approach to the book.

As someone who wants to write and draw comics as well, if I'm enjoying something that other people aren't does that mean I like things that people hate? Would I be able to tell a gripping story if that were true?

I sometimes get lost in the unfortunate rabbit hole of thinking way too hard about stuff like that. I'm in a position where other people's opinions mean a lot to me. Sometimes far more than my own.

I just need to be more secure in what I personally think and feel. Forcing myself to try and jive with an opposite point of view just brings grief.

Thank you though.

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Hey @Dr. Detective Mike, sorry to hear I've been dragging down the dialog around the comic for you. It's not even my intention to do as such. I just find that if I explain my stance it becomes easier for eth other party to see where I'm coming from. It's why I enjoy seeing you share your enthusiasm as it may highlight something I missed. So again I apologize for making the surrounding conversations unpleasant to partake in. So let's see if we can't make a negative viewpoint a point of interesting discourse.

As should be obvious by now, Amy is one of my favorites and I always have high hopes for her appearances. Since issue two however she has been losing her shine to me and our most recent issue has only made it worse. To me Amy is an always bubbly, optimistic, energetic, mood maker who keeps everyone's spirits high. Yet in the most recent issue she was as worn down as Sonic and freaking out about the possible loss of a team. That's a pretty big contrast right there, and the problem I have is I didn't get to see it happen. I've mostly seen how she normally is, yet this issue she was as worn down as Sonic and all we've gotten are hints to what she has been going through. It's why I enjoyed the Chaotix's introduction the zombot problem as I saw them being them in their typical environment, facing the threat head on and how there normal approaches are affected by the scenario, seeing the consequences of their normal actions in a very unnormal situation, and the settling of dread for realizing their normal methods aren't going to cut it in this case and has lost them Charmy. I got all of that and loved the issue as a result. Cream has talked about the nightmares she's been having and what she has been up to, and while it was a short scene, it felt earned with how recently we had seen her and have it fresh in our minds what she went through and lost. But Amy is in the command center and has nothing showing us the buildup of how she got here from when we last saw her. What could this normally impossible to discourage character have seen and gone through by this point to leave her so worn and battered? I haven't seen it, and in two months I'll be getting the payoff of a character arc that I haven't seen happen yet, despite it being implied to transpire. SO sure there is emotion and weight to what she is experiencing, but I want to see her experiences that led to the emotional weight on her. the weight alone is not enough for me, especially since I saw what the Chaotix and Cream went through before seeing them at the points they are at.

In short, I feel no connection to Amy's current emotional state because I didn't see how she got there and I know the payoff to that emotional state is coming down the road. I kind of hope that maybe her issue will have some flashback scenes to establish how she ended up in the state she is. Sure it may sound like I'm asking for some hand holding when I should just presume the base human situation of people under your command falling to an unstoppable force wrecks you pretty bad, but if I just make that assessment then I also cut out Amy and her character and my ability to sympathize with her personally as a unique individual and not just another survivor of this mess. She's a main character and the one in charge of keeping refugees organized during this mess. If anyone should be getting some focus in this scenario it's her, yet she barely even gets more than the most basic of lines of dialogue before being dragged off to be Captain Commander Rose again. the bubbly energetic girl who never lets anything get her down is down and worn out, and I didn't see it happen. I have to just presume what happened, and for a main character playing a major role in a crisis situation I find that unacceptable. You're obviously of a different mindset and stance on that, and so I would love to hear you demonstrate to me what makes this one concern of mine something that makes the book exciting. My biases and wants are sure to be blinding me to something, so I always appreciate seeing input that shines things in a better light.

Amy has never stayed in one place for this long before she's missing out on everything and she's going to keep missing out on things if she stays the commander.

23 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy has never stayed in one place for this long before she's missing out on everything and she's going to keep missing out on things if she stays the commander.

Which is weird, considering a Commander is supposed to be leading the charge on the battlefield. Hence why Knuckles actually made what little sense he did in the role.

But then I suppose the Resistance isn't actually a thing anymore.

I don't mind Amy's current role; mostly because as I said, she's not the focus of the story so its not like I need to see her often. It sucks if you're a big fan of Amy and want to see more of her, but...*shrug*? Not everyone's favorite character is going to appear often.

My only real complaint with Amy is that she's kind of boring right now, but I feel that's less because of the character herself and more that she's currently in a role that doesn't allow her to be around as often. 

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I don't mind Amy's current role; mostly because as I said, she's not the focus of the story so its not like I need to see her often. It sucks if you're a big fan of Amy and want to see more of her, but...*shrug*? Not everyone's favorite character is going to appear often.

My only real complaint with Amy is that she's kind of boring right now, but I feel that's less because of the character herself and more that she's currently in a role that doesn't allow her to be around as often. 

You know what this(and something else last night) makes me think of? That collection of side stories from last semester, episodes like Tales of Ba Sing Se, and to an obvious extent, Sonic Universe.

It might've been cool if we had another number of side stories during certain portions of the story arcs and backstory to focus on characters like Amy with the Restoration, Knuckles with the Resistance, and I guess Shadow either during his absence from the War or not long after it ended. You know, show what they were going through at points and develop their situation & experiences a bit.

18 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Amy seems to have lost her silly crush on Sonic, both in Boom and the comic series. Her crazy obsession with Sonic is part of what I like about her. There was funny little scenes in Sonic X, moments in Sonic Riders & Sonic Generations that focused on that. We don't see stuff like that from her anymore.

Is it un-PC now to show her love for Sonic or something? 

1 minute ago, Myst said:

Amy has really lost her crush on Sonic lately, both in Boom and the comic. Her crazy obsession with Sonic is part of what I like about her. There was funny scenes in Sonic X, moments in Riders & Generations that focused on that. 

Is it un-PC now to show her love for Sonic or something?

Yea, but how does that fit in the current story arc? It's...really not appropriate is it?

Zombie Apocalypse is going on, but let's have Amy fangirl and obsess over Sonic? Does that really seem like a good use of her character?

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Yea, but how does that fit in the current story arc? It's...really not appropriate is it?

Zombie Apocalypse is going on, but let's have Amy fangirl and obsess over Sonic? Does that really seem like a good use of her character?

I was referring to the comic (and franchise) as a whole, not just the current arc.

6 minutes ago, Myst said:

I was referring to the comic (and franchise) as a whole, not just the current arc.

I know, I'm just saying that a big problem I had with Amy before is how she never really made any contributions to the plot beyond her running gag of obsessing over Sonic. And its like...it's still THERE; issue 2 of the comic springs to mind for one, and even Boom references for the most part.

It's just...its not the ONLY thing she does anymore, which I feel is much better for the character overall. I don't think we need to see her obsess over Sonic in every appearance she makes simply because that's what everyone knows her for. I like how they're putting her in different roles for once. 

I'll admit, it does make her a BIT more boring, but not significantly so. 

11 minutes ago, Myst said:

The entire comic, at least so far and for the forseeable future, is married to the idea of depicting the characters as a resistance force in a war setting. The characters are going to continue to behave this way until the comic decides to drop the war setting.

I don’t think the problem is she stopped having a crush, she clearly hasn’t stopped that, Boom referenced it heavily and implied Sonic might feel something as well, and Issue 2 of this comic had her address and snap out of it.

The difference is that she isn’t a ridiculously obsessive fan girl that was absolutely and utterly extreme in the mid to late 2000s, especially with Sonic X. Not only is the comic not focusing on her much so far, but Ian in general is trying to play her off as having a harmless crush and being infatuated with Sonic instead of constantly screaming her love and trying to force him into marriage to the point that literally the only point of motivation is that one point. 

6 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Most to all characters in the Sonic series are obsessed over something its just that the fans only feel the need to call Amy out on it.

Probably because Amy's obsession feels like the only one that consistently causes discomfort, is overly specific without variation, and doesn't really add to the experience.

22 minutes ago, Slashy said:

The entire comic, at least so far and for the forseeable future, is married to the idea of depicting the characters as a resistance force in a war setting. The characters are going to continue to behave this way until the comic decides to drop the war setting.

Not the entire comic, not season 2, not the miniseries, when things escalate they team up, simple.

2 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Not the entire comic, not season 2, not the miniseries, when things escalate they team up, simple.

Season 2 is still a war setting, just the characters are fighting zombots instead of robots.

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Most to all characters in the Sonic series are obsessed over something its just that the fans only feel the need to call Amy out on it.

Umm, no? Rouge likes gem, but not to obsessive level. Knuckles has life beyond ME and Vector doesn't think of money 24/7. When do do get obsessively, then fandom complains. They only people 'obsessed characters are arguably Big, Omega and Metal Sonic, but it works for them.

And frankly, it's to early to judge IDW Amy. She was great in #2, but later scenarios forced her into leader role. It's like reading only "Mecha Sally" arc and concluding that Flynn's writing is dark, gritty and without any comedy.

3 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Umm, no? Rouge likes gem, but not to obsessive level. Knuckles has life beyond ME and Vector doesn't think of money 24/7. When do do get obsessively, then fandom complains. They only people 'obsessed characters are arguably Big, Omega and Metal Sonic, but it works for them.

And frankly, it's to early to judge IDW Amy. She was great in #2, but later scenarios forced her into leader role. It's like reading only "Mecha Sally" arc and concluding that Flynn's writing is dark, gritty and without any comedy.

Saying Rouge, Knuckles or Vector have a life outside of what they want but not Amy is bias and exaggerated.

8 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Saying Rouge, Knuckles or Vector have a life outside of what they want but not Amy is bias and exaggerated.

Rouge went from a government outsource to try & stop the past from coming back to haunt the planet to a legit spy with reliable contacts.

Knuckles went from simply protecting his home & legacy to caring about the whole planet and enjoying some time out with friends.

Vector is a detective on perpetual hard times that sometimes waves payment in favor of simply doing what's right by the little guy.(Not to mention almost being a supporting character anyway)

Amy unfortunately hasn't had much outside of her idealism stick for long outside of this comic and Boom.

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Rouge went from a government outsource to try & stop the past from coming back to haunt the planet to a legit spy with reliable contacts.

Knuckles went from simply protecting his home & legacy to caring about the whole planet and enjoying some time out with friends.

Vector is a detective on perpetual hard times that sometimes waves payment in favor of simply doing what's right by the little guy.(Not to mention almost being a supporting character anyway)

Amy unfortunately hasn't had much outside of her idealism stick for long outside of this comic and Boom.

Amy came from being a plain old city girl to a adventurer with friends and having a goal in life.

Boom and the comic is just someone else that looks like Amy. 

4 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy came from being a plain old city girl to a adventurer with friends and having a goal in life.

Her goal is literally centered on one character and nothing else; if you like that part of Amy, but many people found her extremely boring and one note because of it. That's why she gets more hate than others. Nobody likes seeing one-dimensional characters in a series that at least tries to make them come off as nuanced.

Even in Sonic Adventure, Amy's focus isn't even on Sonic but helping someone else. amy's best moments are almost always when she' allowed to do something besides fawn over Sonic and nothing else. Which is why people don't like how Adventure 2 downplayed her. 

18 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Hm...true-ish?

I don't know, her love for Sonic is literally not only the baseline of her character, but the crux of her introduction.

I suppose the main thing I'd have to question is the adventurer aspect.

18 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

3IUTcVh.gif