Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

I just read the latest Tangle and Whisper.

Yeah, it would seem that this is very much an echo of what the more typical Sonic comics from old were more structured like. The two flavors of these two series make for an interesting comparison on my end. 

As for my opinion, it's rather complicated so I hope to be as clear as I can.

I'm enjoying the main comic more... however, I do acknowledge and agree that the set-up and structure of the Tangle and Whisper series is something that would heavily benefit the book down the line. I think the factors contributing to what I'm enjoying about the main book are a lot more prominent and important to me, as such, the giddiness I usually feel when finishing an issue wasn't exactly here. The situation is a bit more typical and the characters I'm not as used to just yet.

That said this is still an interesting story. I'm taking a liking to these two far faster than I ever have any of the other hero characters introduced in the old Archie books (that is to say, I only ever like the villains which might be why I still feel as though Starline is the best). Despite being fairly typical in some respects it's making good use of it's characters and its utilizing their emotions really well. I do like that the book is not afraid of letting them screw up and I'm glad the dynamic here isn't of one annoyed person bashing their head against the hard-head of an idiot. They're both definitely their own characters and Ian's taking full advantage of that! 

Also, sometimes when playing up a mystery it can be done in a way that's annoying but I'm happy to say that's not happening here. Mimic is effectively tricking them while playing on the emotions of the person he's trying to outwit and making sure it's too his advantage. Turning into Jewel, not to appear before them, but to just make use of her voice so that he could then turn into Whisper to lure Tangle out was a double layered trick that almost got me. I figured it out about a panel before Whisper kicked Tangle into the safe. That's effective use of mind fuckery.

Really good issue. 

As I said, the main book still has my attention the most, but, if the concept and the characters weren't what they were, I could see myself being more in line with the fear that it might just be a revolving door of appearances rather than stuff that would allow them to breathe and be open with themselves.

There's a part of me that feels like we still don't have a proper demonstration of just how much restriction actually is on the main cast just yet. Ian keeps talking about how continuously surprised he is by what SEGA is allowing him to get away with.

I want to see how much he can stretch an attempt at doing something like this for our main cast before the tolerance SEGA has breaks. It might be something that can give you all what you guys crave. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

There's a part of me that feels like we still don't have a proper demonstration of just how much restriction actually is on the main cast just yet. Ian keeps talking about how continuously surprised he is by what SEGA is allowing him to get away with.

Wanna mention that flynn specifically noted that it is invovled with over arching narratives . Apparently they are just now super hard on the characters themselves and how they speak. Which would line up with rumors recently spread. Which if said rumors are true, that's a pretty good demonstration.

So you can't really use what he's getting away with over arching narratives as a basis for character stuff, because they seem to just really care about how their characters appear. For better, or for worse.

All that said, depending on how tangle and whisper 3 and 4 go, you might get a pretty good representation in the story or after the fact via ian flynn , of how restrictive sega is character wise.

4 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Mimic has a profile

Hide contents

tumblr_pxbl05VYpR1s9pusko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pxbl05VYpR1s9pusko2_1280.jpg

HE'S 32 YEARS OLD WHAT

But of course--he is a Sonic villain. 

How old is Whisper again? 

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

That's one way to do an octopus, I guess.

I think I would've preferred he also have tentacles for arms even if he still has regular legs.

Just a bit more uniqueness in the design.

He's part way through transforming back though, isn't he? 

6 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Mimic has a profile

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_pxbl05VYpR1s9pusko1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pxbl05VYpR1s9pusko2_1280.jpg

HE'S 32 YEARS OLD WHAT

Holy Shit! Does that make him like the oldest Anthro Sonic character?

29 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

No. I can think of several anthro Sonic characters, at least one in IDW, who’d have to be much older.

Shadow is 50, Mimic is 32, Elder Scruffy must be 50 too.

Everyone else is below 20.

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Do you think Tangle & Whisper is better than the main comic? What can the main comic take from it to be better?

Eh.

I guess it can take a little more downtime and backstory-to-present correlation, but then it already does dip into that a few times.

I'm not saying Tangle & Whisper is better than main book. For starters it's jumping to conclusion, we're only half way through. But  I will say that Sonic Universe was better.

Stories had to end in 4 issues, pluspacing was better (mostly). Bigger variety, threats were bigger. And of course we had our favorite Sega character with room to express themselves and do something cool.

Sonic Universe was better than the main book of Archie to me. It was definitely the only thing I could rely on for stories focused on the extended cast after a while. When it was introduced, the main book really did just become more about the Adventures of Sonic and the Freedom Fighters, which is good for those who care about that. The others didn't really show up much at all in it anymore though. 

I still have my problems with Universe of course. I always complained about the 4 issue format. The noticeable pattern of 3 issues of build-up, the final page of the 3rd issue being a full page spread of the final form of the big villain they're hyping up to be beaten in the final issue, and then the final issue where the big bad that was set-up goes down super quick and the rest is a rushed wrap-up. 

That isn't to say it didn't work all the time (Eggman's Dozen is the bomb) but I'm definitely more comfortable with the more flexible range of storytelling here where he can just write a story and it'll go on for as long as he needs or wants it to. Restrictions on that sort of thing are good and important to have around but I prefer they not be SO strict that every story for Universe needs to end in 4 issues. I feel the same about a story that doesn't need to be 4 issues long too. They did one or two that were only an issue long as well. 

All this said, it does hurt the chances of more self-contained stuff unless they decided to tell little mini-arcs within the huge arc to compensate for it. That's possible as well. So long as there's a connection to the overall overarching plot of that year it'd be fine. 

Basically, there's a lot of ways to tell stories and junk. You'll know what works best for you when you experience it.