Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I can go either way on Sticks. She's alright if she's got decent writing, but bleh otherwise. She and pretty much all of the Boom cast in Worlds Unite really annoyed me, especially given how much of a hightened role Sticks got in it for no particular reason. The only time I can really say I enjoyed her in that is Issue 5 where she actually interacted with the main cast. Otherwise, she was alright in the other Boom comics, although truth be told, I for the life of me barely remember much of them.

4 minutes ago, MainJP said:

From what I've seen most everyone else feels the same way about them.

The Zeti are the best characters introduced into the series.

They are...the Mondo 6. This comic should make use of them quite soon.

• Too Many Rings 1

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

5)Ian Flynn thinks that Vector should have been the leader of the resistance because knuckles is a recluse he's not a people person or a leader. Vector has experience commanding people and being an effective leader.

This does explain Ian's fairly amusing interpretation of how Knuckles ended up in the leadership role in the Forces prequel comics, and Knux's overall indifference and nonchalance to the entire thing in IDW.

Sticks is bad.

26 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I just hope they remove Silver and Blaze and treat them like Knuckles for IDW (Knuckles stays on his island) (and Silver and Blaze should stay in their world)

I'd like to see more Blaze without it feeling like She's ignoring her duties. Maybe they'll do a miniseries set in her dimension. 

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Sticks is bad.

I'd like to see more Blaze without it feeling like She's ignoring her duties. Maybe they'll do a miniseries set in her dimension. 

That would be nice if it can lead to Sonic & Co to go in her world to fight some enemy

13 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

This does explain Ian's fairly amusing interpretation of how Knuckles ended up in the leadership role in the Forces prequel comics, and Knux's overall indifference and nonchalance to the entire thing in IDW.

Everyone thought him being leader was off.

52 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

He also tried to make Sticks show up twice, but SEGA didn't want that.

So, no Sticks for IDW.

Booo! I refuse to believe Sticks is just going to die with Sonic Boom.

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Everyone thought him being leader was off.

Yeah, it never made sense to me either, but Ian wrote it in a way where he just jumped at it because he thought he was more important than he was.

Which, to be fair, is pretty consistent with his current game portrayals acting like he's better than Sonic most of the time while not really doing anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vector was an interesting choice though, didn't think of him leading. Makes sense though.

Also I know sticks is divisive, but I think she's really cool and has potential interaction wise. I would like to see her pop up

Again sorry for vanishing will finish when I get back home

3 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Those exist and I acknowledge that they exist.

It's cool, but...

I am afraid of hearing the "not" official voices.

Very close to them!

Vector as leader of the resistance makes far more sense than Knuckles, I agree. Plus, he could use the fame and resources that go with it, transforming his Detective Agency into a kind of peace keeping force—don’t know why in the absolute fuck they didn’t think of that looking back. Knuckles can survive on bare rock and has more than enough of what he needs on Angel Island.

As for Sticks not being allowed, I’m getting annoyed at this “because I say so” logic that it often boils down to with Sega. Conspiracies and intrigue all going all around in this comic, and Sticks is the perfect character for this kind of thing—she’d be a lot more fleshed out and less cringy in that environment since she could more or less stick (hue) her nose into places and alert anyone of what she discovers, whether deliberate or on accident. So it sounds like a wasted opportunity for now.

I don't have a problem with Knuckles leading the resistance but I'm sad they didn't lean harder into the inherent comedy of Knuckles being in charge of something that important. 

I can't see vector as being a good leader, but I always saw him as less of an ace detective/strong leader and more of a burnout conman who happened to be persuasive when it came to people ALA Reigen from MOB. Why else were they so broke?

It's explicitly stated that they're constantly broke because Vector keeps doing jobs pro-bono out of kindness. Like, that is actual canon. And I'm pretty sure SEGA lean on him being an ace detective given how much they throw him into that role in recent games. 

Anyway, to address some Q&A points, just two or three. 

1. I could have told you Sticks was dead at this point. Her appearance in the main series always seemed like a promotional thing (ala the Sonic X sign in SA:DX or Sonic Chronicles showing up in Mario and Sonic Vancouver), now that Boom is nigh dead they have no use for her any more. Callous, sure, but not unheard of for SEGA. 

2. The explanation for how Espio and Nicole got sidelined doesn't make sense with what happened, since Shard and Nicole didn't become a big thing until SU#50, after Espio and Nicole was already tossed aside. I still suspect it was scrapped due to SEGA cracking down harder around #235 and putting the kibosh on it.

3. Of course the other Zeti aren't dead. If Zazz is fine and dandy to use then it follows that they never killed any of them off. It's just that Zazz and Zavok are more recognisable. 

22 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't have a problem with Knuckles leading the resistance but I'm sad they didn't lean harder into the inherent comedy of Knuckles being in charge of something that important. 

I can't see vector as being a good leader, but I always saw him as less of an ace detective/strong leader and more of a burnout conman who happened to be persuasive when it came to people ALA Reigen from MOB. Why else were they so broke?

Isn't the reason because Vector constantly takes on jobs for free, and Espio has to remind him that they're fucking poor.

The cynic in me feels like the only reason Knuckles was chosen to be leader was out of process of elimination; Tails had his own journey with Classic going on, and Amy is a girl :V. So by process of elimination, the next most popular character has to be leader, no matter how little sense it actually makes in universe.

I don't really mind that Knuckles was the leader...but they never really do anything with it, nor acknowledge how absurd it actually is. At least if Vector was the leader, it'd let a C list character actually have some level of spotlight for once. 

2 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Vector as leader of the resistance makes far more sense than Knuckles, I agree. Plus, he could use the fame and resources that go with it, transforming his Detective Agency into a kind of peace keeping force—don’t know why in the absolute fuck they didn’t think of that looking back. Knuckles can survive on bare rock and has more than enough of what he needs on Angel Island.

Oh they didn't care about any of that.

Knuckles is popular and is a boy and a rival character, and a character they weren't using as a story beat.

Vector isn't an upfront super popular character

Amy is a girl and despite there being overwhelming proof a lot of the sonic fanbase is girls, they still present it as a boy focused brand. So unfortunately sexism wins

And Shadow was being used in a poorly planned twist that resulted in nothing. Also Shadow does not do teams now, so decree-ith lord sega form on high. ( Dag now that I mention it , even in the comic shadow and team dark were given different delineations from the resistance itself. )

And They want tails to be a side kick only and with sonic not around they don't want him too independent

They don't care about logic, or story cohesiveness . They care about brand image , if that hasn't been demonstrated  enough over the past few issues. And will sacrifice ... anything , including potential parts of the audience to achieve that. Which seems...dumb considering that audience is shrinking. But I don't run sega so I can't tell em what to do.

As for Sticks not being allowed, I’m getting annoyed at this “because I say so” logic that it often boils down to with Sega. Conspiracies and intrigue all going all around in this comic, and Sticks is the perfect character for this kind of thing—she’d be a lot more fleshed out and less cringy in that environment since she could more or less stick (hue) her nose into places and alert anyone of what she discovers, whether deliberate or on accident. So it sounds like a wasted opportunity for now.

All companies are because they say so, for one reason or another. Maybe they just don't think she fits with the current brand, dunno.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Continuation

31)Bunny Rabbot will not show up in the foreseeable future

32)Would love the opportunity to finish his stories. He isn't gonna get hung up because it most likely will not happen. Lets focus on moving forward

33)He feels like the public is aware enough of GUN to not be afraid.

34)Weird Question. But I got out of this . Starline and Eggman are not in a relationship. Ian Flynn says that eggman doesn't have a romantic bone in his body.

35)Starline was making progress. He was getting him back to his old self. Metal Sonic just helped him skip parts of the process. Eggman would have come back, regardless. Metal Sonic is not the key to that narrative. Sonic's compassion vs Shadow's callousness is the point.  There's no easy answer to the Sonic vs Shadow thing. He made it intentionally gray , he will touch upon it again in the future.

36)Don't send in fan ideas. Bean and bark basically had no characterization before Ian Flynn used them. And that characterization seems to have stuck.

37)No Sonadow allowed . Ian flynn doesn't even get it. He will let people interpret these two characters arguing over letting someone live as romantically as they see fit. But he doesn't get it. To him he doesn't seem like there are any characters that spring to mind immediately that would would work in a LGBTQ relationship. Ian Flynn is weary of the shipping wars and weary of them being pigeon holed into they dating. He's no avoiding, he's not opposed to it, he's just... tired of relationships Personal opinion: I think Amy/blaze, Vector/Espio work real good.

38)Lost hedgehog tales will reveal things. Like what would have happened with geoffry. When will it come out, who knows.

39)Russian popeye aside. Knuckles eats his spinach. Cream does. Mighty does. Tails Does. Eggman Does, he eats anything. Sonic and Amy do not. Charmy will not eat it with out a fight. Vector does not. Espio Does. Tangles does not eat her spinach. Whisper does not.

40)He does not work too directly with sega. He sends it to IDW editors. And then they send it to sega. The Sega of America people seem fine. He has asked Iizuka , and have gotten interesting answers. And answering those are not on the table, due to reasons.

41)Sonic is X and all previous spin off cartoons are off the comic table. Its dead .

42)SonAmy is up to sega. He has no horse in that race. He's passing the buck. He's tired of shipping. Its expensive. You gotta pay for package. Its a pain. International shipping. is expensive.

43)He has no idea what happened with the megaman comic.

44)No intimidate plans for more tangle and whisper. Don't want them to be a team. Don't want them to be attached eternally. Another miniseries about other characters have been pitched. Fan Reaction plays a big part in these books.

45)Ian Flynn does not think there is an explanation as to why amy have magic trick powers, he wishes there was and he showcase them.

46)Ian Flynn knows things bout the film. He does not know if he should know. He is cautiously optimistic

47)Ian Flynn finds young justice good but frustrating

48)Ian Flynn would like to work ongames

49)Mobian lifespans are comparible to human life span.

50)No intention of ending the previous book. Just happened.

51)Ian Flynn Generally avoids fanfiction on the internet and fan works for legal reasons.

52)He thinks blaze and silver are sibling oriented. I agree

53)Sonic riders happened in the comic universe

54)Classic sonic is weird and it there is no explanation as to what happened in generations in how they got ripped out of their respective universes. And now classic sonic is just an alt past... maybe?

55) Heroes made Knuckles and Chaotix not canon. He feels as though most sonic narratives in terms of continuity don't matter outside of the " adventure " period.

56) The explanation for how a child knows about angel island and little planet is " There are legends " how they spread from one world to another, I don't know. Personal opinion: Seems like angel island is animal planet only these days

57)Sonic isn't flash fast where he has a bunch of speed based powers. He's just...fast.

58)He wants IDW to be more streamlined, action oriented , and high paced. There has been a lot more positive response to character focused stuff. But he is focused on making it feel like its own thing

59)Ian Flynn and ABT are working on something called Drogoon? And its coming out this winter

60)Ian Flynn has not beaten a single game gear sonic game. Ian Flynn may have not beat sonic 2 without using Debug. Never finished TSR's last drifting challenge.

That's about it for the interesting questions IMO. There are 40 more , but uh ya'll can go back and look through that yourself. Anywho , have a good one.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Oh they didn't care about any of that.

They don't care about logic, or story cohesiveness . They care about brand image , if that hasn't been demonstrated  enough over the past few issues. And will sacrifice ... anything , including potential parts of the audience to achieve that. Which seems...dumb considering that audience is shrinking. But I don't run sega so I can't tell em what to d

Considering their brand has an identity crisis that’s been ongoing since 2005, one which they’ve exacerbated as a result of sacrificing whatever in the process, that’s highly doubtful. They’ve been more concerned with playing safe than anything.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

All companies are because they say so, for one reason or another. Maybe they just don't think she fits with the current brand, dunno.

Yeah, what else is new? That wasn’t my point.

They’re ironically the last people to judge what does or doesn’t fit within a brand when they’ve shattered it to messy pieces for years, much less are they the ones to use that logic to begin with when that’s never stopped them or others to have characters fit what direction they have going on. The decision is arbitrary at best, and regardless of them being the ones in charge of things, that’s still a waste of a chance that has every right to be called out as such if there isn’t a more concrete reason beyond “because I said so”—most decent companies at least have explanations beyond that when they make decisions of any kind.

Just now, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Considering their brand has an identity crisis that’s been ongoing since 2005, one which they’ve exacerbated as a result of sacrificing whatever in the process, that’s highly doubtful. They’ve been more concerned with playing safe than anything.

No you don't get. The playing it safe, is the thing you are describing. Making sure the characters stay very specifically in their rolls or in parts of importance even at the detriment of other characters or any type of cohesion is playing it safe. They want these characters in a box. A sexist box with limited depth, but a box.

Sonic And Shadow are busy, and shadow's a loner. Guess Knuckles is the leader. Don't think about how they could boost another character or how its actually unfitting for the character used. That character is important, put them in box.

This IS safe, well they think it is anyway.

Just now, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Yeah, what else is new? That wasn’t my point.

They’re ironically the last people to judge what does or doesn’t fit within a brand when they’ve shattered it to messy pieces for years, much less are they the ones to use that logic to begin with when that’s never stopped them or others to have characters fit what direction they have going on. The decision is arbitrary at best, and regardless of them being the ones in charge of things, that’s still a waste of a chance that has every right to be called out as such if there isn’t a more concrete reason beyond “because I said so”—most decent companies at least have explanations beyond that when they make decisions of any kind.

I mean I don't think its arbitrary. Most of the way. 90% of this descion I feel as though comes from a place where they are starting to invest more time into adventure call backs to the degree in which they are openly talking about adventure remakes. Sticks isn't from that era so she's just... not around.

Now , you might be like. " What about Zavok's wack ass " and yes, his ass is wack. So this is why i said, 90%. The 10% is there just might not be people who care about her enough to advocate for her stay. Usually at like companies like these you need like... and advocate unless you are really popular or like a core part of the series. If it wasn't for someone advocating for ray or mighty, they might have not come back. So Someone might not be advocating for sticks, but advocating for the zeti because they made them for normal sonic and feel more of a connection. As wack as they are. Maybe one day somoene will get enough clout to will her back into existance, but not right now

23 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

No you don't get. The playing it safe, is the thing you are describing. Making sure the characters stay very specifically in their rolls or in parts of importance even at the detriment of other characters or any type of cohesion is playing it safe. They want these characters in a box. A sexist box with limited depth, but a box.

Sonic And Shadow are busy, and shadow's a loner. Guess Knuckles is the leader. Don't think about how they could boost another character or how its actually unfitting for the character used. That character is important, put them in box.

This IS safe, well they think it is anyway.

That has very little, if anything, to do with what I actually said regarding the idea of Vector being a better choice as a leader than Knuckles.

And for the record, my critique couldn’t care less about brand identity for reasons I’ve already stated.

I mean I don't think its arbitrary. Most of the way. 90% of this descion I feel as though comes from a place where they are starting to invest more time into adventure call backs to the degree in which they are openly talking about adventure remakes. Sticks isn't from that era so she's just... not around.

Now , you might be like. " What about Zavok's wack ass " and yes, his ass is wack. So this is why i said, 90%. The 10% is there just might not be people who care about her enough to advocate for her stay. Usually at like companies like these you need like... and advocate unless you are really popular or like a core part of the series. If it wasn't for someone advocating for ray or mighty, they might have not come back. So Someone might not be advocating for sticks, but advocating for the zeti because they made them for normal sonic and feel more of a connection. As wack as they are. Maybe one day somoene will get enough clout to will her back into existance, but not right now

Unless you can provide sources and actual statistics to back this 90% statement up, my point still stands.

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

16) Sonic does pay taxes because there is no such thing as money on sonic's world according to sega. 

Then why do the Chaotix need to pay bills? Vector says he needs to pay the electric bill in Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

The Chaotix have always been the only characters worrying about money, them having to suffer and juggle with real-life responsibilities such as the rent is just part of their shtick so they have a motivation with their business; everyone else usually shrugs it off when Vector being poor gets brought up again because it doesn't matter to them. It only exists in their context, for example Eggman promising to pay them once he conquers the world, but not outside of it because Sonic having to work the night shift is not part of the franchise. It's not something you should try to find logic in too much, just like the two worlds thing which is not them flying from one planet to another but just Sonic Team not wanting to use human characters and locales at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 2

So money is some kind Shoerdinger cat, that only exists when Chaotix are around, but instantly vanishes from people's heads once they leave?

That's messed up. I though only Doctor Who deals with stuff like that. Then again, if SIlence were in Sonic, we wouldn't know it anyway.

2 hours ago, MainJP said:

Then why do the Chaotix need to pay bills? Vector says he needs to pay the electric bill in Heroes.

Maybe some sort of barter system?