Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

1 minute ago, Marco9966 said:

Oh, it's the old guy!

Why does his beard look like that then?

On 9/12/2019 at 10:45 PM, DabigRG said:

How apropos.

Anyway, it seems slightly more productive to think about how this miniseries will affect the book going forward.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:26 AM, Shadowlax said:

I d

don't think its gonna do much, honestly. Unless you mean, by " will there be more miniseries " then yeah sure. 1 hundo.

Will the events effect the main book too much, I doubt it. I get the feeling sega wants things to stay in their lane so to speak.

To expand on what I meant by this, what do ya'll think will happen with Mimic at the end of this story?

To have more miniseries they can either:

-Do miniseries for the game characters like the Chaotix (that would be great, and the restrictions should not be a problem for the Chaotix unlike Shadow)

-Or create new characters to do miniseries about them.

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

To have more miniseries they can either:

-Do miniseries for the game characters like the Chaotix (that would be great, and the restrictions should not be a problem for the Chaotix unlike Shadow)

-Or create new characters to do miniseries about them.

True. Hopefully, the next miniseries will be the former.

However, I meant as far as the cast and story direction goes.

6 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

(like something set in Blaze’s dimension).

This right here is an idea bound for greatness.

We know Blaze's world is water themed, now just expand on that.

Surprisingly never been done before (again).

13 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

If they want to do another miniseries in the next year that has its own self-contained story, it’ll either have to be set before the zombot apocalypse, or be off-world (like something set in Blaze’s dimension).

Set it after the zombot arc. Whenever somebody starts to mention it, potentially revealing important details such as how it's going to be resolved, they're interrupted by someone or something.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

To expand on what I meant by this, what do ya'll think will happen with Mimic at the end of this story?

If it isn't a sega character unless they are being actively assisted in some way , I doubt they want things that may have lasting changes on the world or the characters in it. I don't think the zombot thing happens without eggman helming it.

That's my take, it will be an open and shut thing explain what's going on with whisper... and that's it.

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

If it isn't a sega character unless they are being actively assisted in some way , I doubt they want things that may have lasting changes on the world or the characters in it. I don't think the zombot thing happens without eggman helming it.

That's my take, it will be an open and shut thing explain what's going on with whisper... and that's it.

...What? You wanna clarify what you mean by that a bit more.

35 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...What? You wanna clarify what you mean by that a bit more.

Ok. If you are talking about in terms of the comic as a thing in itself, It may result in more miniseries if succesful. However I think that was planned from the start. If IDW were pinning the future of spin of sonic material on two unknown new characters. That was ...really dumb to be quite honest. And I doubt they were.

If you mean narrative I do think this comic will have any tangible effect on what the comic besides a possible explanation for something. I do not think that sega wants things not from their own characters having tangible lasting effects on the world that isn't the result of their own characters in some way

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Ok. If you are talking about in terms of the comic as a thing in itself, It may result in more miniseries if succesful. However I think that was planned from the start. If IDW were pinning the future of spin of sonic material on two unknown new characters. That was ...really dumb to be quite honest. And I doubt they were.

If you mean narrative I do think this comic will have any tangible effect on what the comic besides a possible explanation for something. I do not think that sega wants things not from their own characters having tangible lasting effects on the world that isn't the result of their own characters in some way

Oh, okay. I suppose that sounds cynically right.

Though it does little to deter my Neo Metal Virus point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, just to definitively answer my own question, that's another thing I'm honestly of a mixed mind on. On one hand, I'm roughly 60% on Mimic sticking around as a distinct side villain given how easy they made him to manage(outside of content at least). On the other though, the rather straightforward way this story has been developing has already caused some doubt about the intrigue it partially had going in.

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, okay. I suppose that sounds cynically right.

Though it does little to deter my Neo Metal Virus point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, just to definitively answer my own question, that's another thing I'm honestly of a mixed mind on. On one hand, I'm roughly 60% on Mimic sticking around as a distinct side villain given how easy they made him to manage(outside of content at least). On the other though, the rather straightforward way this story has been developing has already caused some doubt about the intrigue it partially had going in.

I'm not saying characters wont stick . I'm just saying I think this will be fairly self contained

20 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Do you think the diamond cutters will turn out to be alive? or not?

I doubt it. While we don't the specifics beyond an outline, it sounds like they were among the many killed during the war.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Late but uh, ruby eclipse said a thing on twitter about a thing. Which may lend some credence to the sega mandate situation

To be fair, Rise of Lyric is a different setup in a separate subseries.

But I see the point. 

19 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Late but uh, ruby eclipse said a thing on twitter about a thing. Which may lend some credence to the sega mandate situation

I've been thinking about it lately and it honestly feels like the Shadow stuff specifically is an English writer and possibly even SoA-mandated thing. He was more or less how I'd expect in Forces, and supposedly he's completely different in TSR's Japanese script. Then you look at stuff like Boom, and while I honestly don't mind him in the comic so far I can see where people are coming from (to an extent).

More to the point it's kind of interesting to see Aaron be open about that. It reminds me of when that WIP Forces script leaked some time after the game came out, and there were some comments labeled AW where he questioned stuff like Tails not trying to fight. But there's a huge difference between that and saying something publicly.

9 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I've been thinking about it lately and it honestly feels like the Shadow stuff specifically is an English writer and possibly even SoA-mandated thing. He was more or less how I'd expect in Forces, and supposedly he's completely different in TSR's Japanese script. Then you look at stuff like Boom, and while I honestly don't mind him in the comic so far I can see where people are coming from (to an extent).

More to the point it's kind of interesting to see Aaron be open about that. It reminds me of when that WIP Forces script leaked some time after the game came out, and there were some comments labeled AW where he questioned stuff like Tails not trying to fight. But there's a huge difference between that and saying something publicly.

Flynn said on podcast that he had different plans for Shadow, but SEGA had their own plans, so he had to change.

20 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

This explains why Shadow's last few in-character moments were in Lego Dimensions and of course, the Twitter Takeovers.

43 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Eh I dunno , or maybe in the sense that iizuka is over here now. Not trying to deny other sega branches their part in myriad sonic related failures. But shadow in TSR's script seems.. the same. People bring this up with multiple TSR characters and honestly the dialog seems the same. Shadow as per the usual uses less aggressive diction but not because some script changes but because shadow's character in japanese is made specially different from knuckles by having him being kind of polite, but cool and a dick. But the script itself ... is largely the same? Even the fake interviews they had with the teams before they came out, the japanese interview had shadow be extra vegeta.In the game itself he's....fine. Infact he isn't aggressive enough? A lot of his dialog , despite apparent never having been a gun agent  ,  is talking about formations and his character specific dialog is uh...mild? You figure someone like him would be extra toxic , but everyone else is a lot more aggressive in their speech and shadow specifically isn't for whatever reason.

Boom was an entire other universe, and to its credit ( if you can give this to them ) shadow was supposed to have more to him. The game was rushed forced onto a console the engine didn't work well one and things were removed ( like shadow's story apparently ) and with the series effectively dying a quick death...we just never got to see it The series kinda collapsed , and a comedy show with no context was left to pick up pieces. Shadow's character is arrogant in boom, but its very obvious a whole story is missing ( along with a bunch of files that suggest this) and its clear he was supposed to have more to his character. But that's a mystery for the ages now. That isn't to excuse the characterization that resulted, the added context still would have been bad. But I think boom being unfinished and another universe seems like a bad example.

Maybe there's some sega exec who really likes vegeta or something in the west, but I don't quite think that's the issue. During one of the sonic streams ruby shows up the guy who's in charge of getting that new IDW comic together and he specifically picked Ian flynn for being good at what he does and the fanbase liked him. That isn't to suggest that guy or his department couldn't just have done that but at the sometime have bad ideas about shadow the hedgehog. It just I dunno it feels like they were content with them doing their own thing.

My idea for what's going on is simply put, iizuka...kinda. A lot of people forget but iizuka is shadow's dad, or one of his many dads. And he's always been the guy to ask about shadow lore questions and sonic lore questions in general. And his answers , much like with the two world thing, often are very contradictory to what everyone thinks is happening. I'm not saying its specifically iiuka maybe its other SOJ staff too, but it feels likes someone has a very particular view of shadow and isn't new. There has always been the potential for shadow to be this kinda of bad version of himself, particularly in his own game. But writers/translators/ect basically wrote him and other elements of the sonic universe in a way to compensate for the bad ideas they may have been feed.

This isn't to say this couldn't just be some initiative by some SOA, who just wants to simplify everyone done and shadow just largely doesn't work that way. And eventually when this explodes they will just bow out and not take responsibility as is often the with higher ups fucking up that thing you like. But this feels like some George Lucas stuff to me, specially prequel stuff. Simply put, there's less of a barrier between the person wanting the bad ideas and the people who now have to execute the bad idea.

But I dunno

43 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Maybe he wants more folks to see it? This shadow discussion has been , taking up space in the mind  of the sonic fanbase for almost 2 months now. Maybe someone doesn't quite believe him and he wishes to put some spot light on peoples issues so he can show someone and go " people do not like this " while also being polite and not directly saying " Steve from accounting ruined shadow "