Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

So money...exists... but doesn't? In large part due to platforming and fighting a Large Egg 99% of the time being the main focus?

spikewut.gif.9641065c7416645efb89b21f8c6bdc9c.gif

I mean...okay.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

16) Sonic does pay taxes because there is no such thing as money on sonic's world according to sega.

This makes no sense. Chaotix aside, some form of currency is needed for society to function. Plus if money doesn't exist then what the fuck are rings?

20)You are never gonna see buddy in the book. You cant define him enough and people got attached to their own buddy, just isn't worth messing with it. They exist somewhere in the world though.

This makes me sad. Buddy is one of my favorite characters...

30)Jackal Squad is dead. Ripperoonie. Doesn't know if shadow killed them or just beat up some much they couldn't do anything. He doesn't know. The impression he got is that shadow killed them and why infinite has such an issue with shadow. They are off limits. Personal note: Which would explain the " I'm not weak thing " because he felt like he was too weak to save or avenge his friends. This is not communicated well in any media including these characters at all.

This is what I've been saying for a while, but nobody listens to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given that ABT was given free reign to makes designs for the rest of the Jackal Squad, I thought it was a given that they were DOA. 

7 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Given that ABT was given free reign to makes designs for the rest of the Jackal Squad, I thought it was a given that they were DOA. 

I mean it was a given considering infinite doesn't reference it in the game. That dlc and that comic  were made much later to try and give a character who had been already split into two different directions due to development issues, some character. Unfortunately it split him into 3 characters. This combined with the poor reception they were doa. Even if folks bothered with infinite enough to make him popular he problably would have gotten his whole life rebooted killing them anyway.

Cynical as a may be on this book. I get the feeling whispers group is the "not jackal squad" a similar concept they can do something interesting with.

3 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

This makes no sense. Chaotix aside, some form of currency is needed for society to function. Plus if money doesn't exist then what the fuck are rings?

We didn't even know animal people had a society until Forces. Rings could be part of a barter system.

Maybe the Chaotix live on the human world. This would explain that one time in the Sonic X comic where Eggman was perplexed by the idea of money.

I too am wondering if "no money" means "rings are used as currency, there's no separate junk like Mobiums or whatever".

• Thumbs Up 1

Why obsess about the Chaotix being the only ones needing money! It's just a joke! They're detectives, they want money.

Nothing deep.

It's pointless compared to the 2-world/classic-modern/super emerald debate.

4 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

This makes no sense. Chaotix aside, some form of currency is needed for society to function. 

Tell that to Gene Roddenberry. 

17 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Ok I can't possibly be the only person who doesn't care about the 2-Worlds thing. It doesn't matter. Sonic stories aren't particularly deep so who cares if there's 2 seperate worlds?

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Maybe the Chaotix live on the human world. This would explain that one time in the Sonic X comic where Eggman was perplexed by the idea of money.

Their office is clearly shown to be on Sonic’s world in issue 17.

If rings were highly inflated as a money system, it would probably account for the Chaotix being broke and none of the other characters really concerning themselves with money. The characters who adventure a lot can find a ton of rings, those who don't are generally well paid, and those who don't fit either of those boxes either don't care (like Big or Omega) or are the Chaotix. Say for example 1000 rings was equal to the value of £1; it's all well and good having 200-300 rings laying around in the city, but what good is it if it's the equivalent of finding 20p on the pavement with far less convenience?

Edit: It also makes the missions in Heroes hilarious if it was like "Okay, you need to prove your worth as detectives by collecting 50p". 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Your Vest Friend said:

If rings were highly inflated as a money system, it would probably account for the Chaotix being broke and none of the other characters really concerning themselves with money. The characters who adventure a lot can find a ton of rings, those who don't are generally well paid, and those who don't fit either of those boxes either don't care (like Big or Omega) or are the Chaotix. Say for example 1000 rings was equal to the value of £1; it's all well and good having 200-300 rings laying around in the city, but what good is it if it's the equivalent of finding 20p on the pavement with far less convenience?

Edit: It also makes the missions in Heroes hilarious if it was like "Okay, you need to prove your worth as detectives by collecting 50p". 

Then the human world must be really poor given how a pair of shoes costs 100 rings and most food items cost far less than that.

I listened to the 100 question Q&A podcast at work and made sure I had a pen and paper so I could jot down timestamps and questions of interest for you guys... only to see you all already talking about it. Doesn't normally happen so I was caught off guard.

The thing that interested me the most was him having more freedom with Sonic and Eggman than Shadow and Germel. Thats something I held suspicion about considering just how different Eggman is here than in the games. Its almost a complete carry over from the Archie days.

Meanwhile Shadow is clearly different and while I don't remember much about Archie Germel I'm told he's different too.

I really like Kyle's reaction to hearing all the stuff that doesn't make sense.

Ian: I have more freedom with Sonic and Eggman than characters like Shadow and Germel.

Kyle: ... That's... weird. You'd think it'd be the other way around...

And also.

Ian: There's no money in the Sonic world.

Kyle: What? Huh? That doesn't make any sense!

I can only hope that by "no money" they mean "they use rings" or something.

Also love how many times he expresses disapproval with Forces' story. Its nice hearing that from someone who works on something like this. Those Sonic livestreams Aaron does are sometimes fun but mostly pretty boring and too tight lipped about everything. I understand why that is but that doesn't change the fact that it is.

Anyway, always keep an ear to the floor when one of these comes out. You never know what you might learn.

Yeah, I was really curious about that.. why would Gemerl have more restrictions than Sonic? He barely even had a personality in his one and only appearance.

4 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Why obsess about the Chaotix being the only ones needing money! It's just a joke! They're detectives, they want money.

Nothing deep.

No one's "obsessing" over it. Stop exaggerating.

31 minutes ago, Razule said:

Yeah, I was really curious about that.. why would Gemerl have more restrictions than Sonic? He barely even had a personality in his one and only appearance.

People might not know who Emerl da Gemerl is...

Sega wants their first impression to be a good one.

Or a non-impression, maybe. Can't have people wanting this character back.

4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Meanwhile Shadow is clearly different and while I don't remember much about Archie Germel I'm told he's different too.

Gmerl's personality basically replaced Shard after he got the boot via the purge. Snarky Quick-Witted Sonic-y Robot. Shard was popular so watching his proxy get neutered back to basic robot in the jump to IDW is kinda jarring.

On the freedom note. I can understand Sega being more protective of Shadow. They have first had experience of what happens with him when his narrative gets out of control (Shth) or is left incomplete (Boom). Being defensive over him could be an end result of being too trigger happy in the past (lol see what I did there).

Gmerl's restrictions probably have more to do with lore. Whether it be a retcon or just downplaying lore in general, Gmerl's connection to Emerl makes him a direct link to the most lore heavy game in the franchise. There is a lot of content in Sonic Battle that Sega may not be keen in carrying forward, so they may try to limit Gmerl as a result. Kind of like Nega, they may be happy just ignoring the problem as much as possible rather than addressing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Gmerl's personality basically replaced Shard after he got the boot via the purge. Snarky Quick-Witted Sonic-y Robot. Shard was popular so watching his proxy get neutered back to basic robot in the jump to IDW is kinda jarring.

On the freedom note. I can understand Sega being more protective of Shadow. They have first had experience of what happens with him when his narrative gets out of control (Shth) or is left incomplete (Boom). Being defensive over him could be an end result of being too trigger happy in the past (lol see what I did there).

I don't think ShTh is a good example...because he's kinda that just with out purpose.On no team, antagonistic to everyone and only out for his own goals and only works with people if it benefits him.  Also the guy who's in charge of sonic team, headed that game. For me personally I don't think is fear of shadow getting out of control, I think the guy(s) in charge have a very specifc limited view of what shadow is supposed to be. And even back in sa2, there were just writers around to fix it, and they kept fixing it writers/translators ect. And now those people aren't around anymore and shadow's back in some prominence  and the lack of those people steering that ...motorcycle? Is noticeable.

Gmerl's restrictions probably have more to do with lore. Whether it be a retcon or just downplaying lore in general, Gmerl's connection to Emerl makes him a direct link to the most lore heavy game in the franchise. There is a lot of content in Sonic Battle that Sega may not be keen in carrying forward, so they may try to limit Gmerl as a result. Kind of like Nega, they may be happy just ignoring the problem as much as possible rather than addressing it.

I don't think they are keen about carrying sonic battle forward in general. Which sucks because its neat.

I don't know. Its hard not to just see this as an extension of what they were already doing with Shadow. It kind of just feels like whatever vision they have for him keeps changing.

You know,  I don't really think Knukles as leader was THAT bad idea. Obviously not perfect, but I can see some logic behind it. I mean, how many times you see main hero (like IDK, Sonic) getting to be the leader, despite how little experience he has.

Obviously best choices (Sonic, Tails, Shadow, Blaze, Sally Acorn) were for different reasons unavailable. But why pick Knuckles over Amy, Vector or Rouge?

Really for same reasons in Steven Universe, it's Garnet who's in charge even if Pearl is smarter. There are many qualities other that brains, like being able to take the pressure. Vector is good person, but I don't think he's capable of holding world on his shoulders. (Amy is arguable on this front, but I could imagine death of Sonic would affect her more than Knux). And Rouge isn't a leader for same reason Black Widow never rarely leads Avengers. Or why Superman leads Justice League, not Batman. Let's say they don't have people skills. (Also, Rouge was needed in field. Spying was much more important than extra fists).

I wouldn't go as far as calling Knuckles figurehead, but I imagine his stubborn tenacity was fundamentals for Resistance. Boosting morals, teaching rookies, leading bigger battle, making quick decisions in heated moments. But all major tactical moves were decided by group (like Amy stopping Knuckles from going on field before one of last missions). At least that's what I would like it to be, as Sega won't give a damn and Flynn just gave up.

• Thumbs Up 1

When has Sonic ever been the leader of anything?

He'll be the "lead" because he's the fastest, but he ain't giving order or coming up with plans for a team.