Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I've been thinking. Before regaining his memories, Mr. Tinker exclaims "I don't want to be Eggman!" I just really find that fascinating.

3WkYatA.jpg

Some part of Eggman, without the memories of his villainous career, manifested as a kind, compassionate inventor who just wants to help people. Some part of him that recoils at the very thought of becoming a supervillain again. Some part of him that just wants to live the rest of his life in peace.

That's probably the extent of what we'll ever see of this aspect of the character here, but I still think it's interesting. "Mr. Tinker" didn't come out of nowhere; Eggman's own mind formed that persona in the absence of any other memories to go on. He genuinely felt and thought and did kind things of his own volition.

I know it's beyond the scope of what Sega would ever allow Ian to do, but it really makes me wonder what set Eggman on the path to conquest in the first place. He just seemed so much happier and so much more fulfilled as a good guy, and it kinda makes me wonder what drove him away from that path originally.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I've been thinking. Before regaining his memories, Mr. Tinker exclaims "I don't want to be Eggman!" I just really find that fascinating.

3WkYatA.jpg

Some part of Eggman, without the memories of his villainous career, manifested as a kind, compassionate inventor who just wants to help people. Some part of him that recoils at the very thought of becoming a supervillain again. Some part of him that just wants to live the rest of his life in peace.

That's probably the extent of what we'll ever see of this aspect of the character here, but I still think it's interesting. "Mr. Tinker" didn't come out of nowhere; Eggman's own mind formed that persona in the absence of any other memories to go on. He genuinely felt and thought and did kind things of his own volition.

I know it's beyond the scope of what Sega would ever allow Ian to do, but it really makes me wonder what set Eggman on the path to conquest in the first place. He just seemed so much happier and so much more fulfilled as a good guy, and it kinda makes me wonder what drove him away from that path originally.

My head canon is When Gun killed his grandfather and his cousin, he lost all hope in like the system itself being able to do good and wanted to take world domination and order into his own hands. He never had friends growing up and just hung out with his inventions and that sort of manifested in to the person he is today.

But yeah, given how much they were against Sonic Boom even touching the premise of a backstory even when that was another universe, I don't think they wish go there if they have control over the project. They are kinda in a " control the narrative " mode right now.

3 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Some part of Eggman, without the memories of his villainous career, manifested as a kind, compassionate inventor who just wants to help people. Some part of him that recoils at the very thought of becoming a supervillain again.

I think you might be reaching.

The more likely explanation at this reaction is that he is...assuming that Dr. Starline is going to brainwash him into being a different person.

Saying "But I'm not him..." kind of leads more to that. It'd be a bit more interesting if he said "again" which would mean he actually knows and believes that he was a different person.

13 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

That IDW Deviation line does sound pretty cool. I am very curious if IDW in general would want to utilise Sonic outside the main book, either in terms of crossovers, or more event stuff like that. I mean I guess it would all need to be approved by Sega, and how they feel about cross promotion. I do wonder if we'll see a crossover down the line, certainly while I don't read TMNT or MLP, it seems like Sonic would be a decent fit to crossover with those franchises. Just hopefully if they do do that, they'll just make it a mini-series, rather than interupt the main book for a crossover.

I'm certain it'll happen IDW loves that stuff. Honestly with the current Transformers toyline that's crossing over with other properties starting with Ghostbusters I wouldn't be shocked if they did a Sonic/Transformers crossover where an Autobot takes the form of the tornado or something.

Personally I'm still hoping for a TMNT crossover since I'm a big TMNT fan and outside of Transformers it's the only IDW license I can see happening. Maybe doing an intercompany one with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

As for if it'd be a miniseries no worries about that. All of IDW's crossovers usually are standalone miniseries usually about 4-5 issues in length. They usually are canon but not required reading. Like TMNT/Ghostbusters is canon to both series but is only barely touched upon afterwards in TMNT. Ghostbusters it's a little more important because it establishes the multiverse which a bunch of storylines after it would make full use of. Intercompany ones are usually non-canon. None of the Batman/TMNT comics which were published by DC are really canon to the IDW universe though they use elements of them. The upcoming Power Rangers/TMNT crossover by Boom Studios is also non-canon to either series in fact for MMPR it seems to be an alternate origin for Lord Drakkon from their comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

3WkYatA.jpg

Would have been nice if Eggman stayed good for a while and help Sonic & co stop a new villain.

15 hours ago, Rosaleia said:

I kind of feel though, that Ian blundered a bit with Rough and Tumble. There was an opportunity to do something interesting with them through this experience and he missed it. It would have made more of an impact if only one of the brothers got infected, leaving the other to reluctantly team up with Sonic. We could have learned more about the brothers through one of them tailing Sonic, with potential character development through their efforts to save the other brother.

That would have been so cool!

6 minutes ago, Slashy said:

So the latest issue takes place in Central City. Where are all the humans? Does Flynn just hate them?

No it's SEGA that does

19 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Presumably it's the Central City seen in Battle which could very well be set on the animal world or whatever.

But appears in Chronicles and is populated by GUN soldiers. Also GUN and the President play a small role in Battle's story.

I don't think SEGA likes crossing the streams, so it has gotta be the human world.

2 minutes ago, Slashy said:

But appears in Chronicles and is populated by GUN soldiers. Also GUN and the President play a small role in Battle's story.

I don't think SEGA likes crossing the streams, so it has gotta be the human world.

It's Animal World. The writer of the comic confirmed that everything takes place in the animal world. A separate planet from the human world.

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

But appears in Chronicles and is populated by GUN soldiers.

I imagine it was based more on the city seen in SA2/ShTH (which didn't confirm the name, though there is a stage with that name in ShTH). Battle's Central City may have been based on that location too, but as far as I remember it isn't made clear.

Edit: Oh wait, Central City is named in ShTH. Never mind then! I could believe them being different cities with the same name though.

Just now, Slashy said:

Couldn't SEGA be consistent about the Two Worlds then? Shouldn't they be telling Flynn that Central City is a human world location?

Don't forget the whole Mystic Ruins/Angel Island problem, are these thousands of echdinas from the human world?

5 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Couldn't SEGA be consistent about the Two Worlds then? Shouldn't they be telling Flynn that Central City is a human world location?

Because not every Green Hill Zone takes place on South Island?

It shouldn't be odd that different locations have the same names.

Heck, we have 2 locales known as South Island and Southern Island. (Bonus points if you know the games and differences between them)

7 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Because not every Green Hill Zone takes place on South Island?

It shouldn't be odd that different locations have the same names.

Heck, we have 2 locales known as South Island and Southern Island. (Bonus points if you know the games and differences between them)

It should be if there are two nearly identical cities in two different worlds.

8 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Battle!Central City might not be the same as ShtH!Central City.

5 minutes ago, Slashy said:

South Island exists on Sonic's World across multiple games and Southern Island exists in Blaze's World in Sonic Rush Adventure.

In the real world, Central City exists in Colorado and Missouri.

1 minute ago, Razule said:

Battle!Central City might not be the same as ShtH!Central City.

Chronicles suggests that it is given that Tails' Lab is there and that GUN's HQ is there.

18 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Chronicles suggests that it is given that Tails' Lab is there and that GUN's HQ is there.

1. "Tails' Lab" also has multiple locations across several games, despite having the same name

2. Chronicles should not be used for anything besides maybe the aliens introduced in the second half of the game. It would be cool to use Shade and the Nocturne but I feel like that's fuel for discussion in the "Should we make more Archie Expies in IDW" topic.

Yall trying to decipher this , but ian flynn implied what the deal is in the recent bumblekast.

It just exists in animal world now, dont address stuff that contradicts the narrative they are doing now.

They are consistent with the rule, they are just retconning stuff to have happened on animal planet. Folks out here saying there's no soft reboot. But it kinda is