Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

On 9/22/2019 at 8:12 AM, Silvereyes said:

I havn't played the Advance trilogy or Battle. All I know is that from a review I watched, I was under the impression that the robot shows up in Battle, then turns up in Advance 3 again? But there are actually 2 robots? Sorry, I really know nothing about that, especially from what I hear that Battle does have a big story.

Gemerl is a rebuilt Emerl IIRC.

Gemerl is "a Gizoid created by Eggman from Emerl's data. (...) After his defeat, he was reprogrammed in the image of his predecessor. " if wikipedia can be believed.

For me it means that he's technically not Emerl, but was programmed to basically be Emerl (personality wise, anyway). So his personality is a complex mix of Sonic, his friends (with big emphasis on Cream), Eggman, his 3 different programmings (gizoid, eggman, tails), but in broad strokes he should be Sonic only bigger softie.

Well sega says his personality is " Robot " now.

Uh, fantastic creative editorial decisions. Really needed them to reign in this character that no one was using and would cause no harm with any interpretation. Ian Flynn was really wilin out there by giving him a personality that wasn't " Robot " he really needed to be checked good job sega

Random thought, but I really hope if IDW does a second round of Deviations, we get a bad ending version of this arc. That variant with all the characters turned into zombots is way too interesting not to explore in a what if. I’d love to see Silver trying to survive in the zombot future he mentioned in a previous issue, could be like his fight against the Prelates in Sonic Universe.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Gemerl is "a Gizoid created by Eggman from Emerl's data. (...) After his defeat, he was reprogrammed in the image of his predecessor. " if wikipedia can be believed.

This affirmation isn't sourced on the wikia. Honestly, for me it's just a fan that added their theory here, because I don't remember any mention of that in any game nor interview.

26 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

I really didn't like Gemerl just being not!Shard. This series has enough quippy action guys. I've always liked the idea of him having a reserved, almost butler-like personality.

You mean something like this?

I don't think gemerald needs to be shard again, its just weird to me that sega was like " Nah, we really need to monitor the usage of this character we literally do not use and holds little value to us in terms of revenue because he's not even used in merch"

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Dang forgot about that, I figure when shit goes to pot and starline defects he will find those two

Probably. Which would arguably be a bit of a shame for some, but ah well.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

For me it means that he's technically not Emerl, but was programmed to basically be Emerl (personality wise, anyway). So his personality is a complex mix of Sonic, his friends (with big emphasis on Cream), Eggman, his 3 different programmings (gizoid, eggman, tails), but in broad strokes he should be Sonic only bigger softie.

Reprogrammed.

And given Cream had the most input, Gemerl would indeed most likely resemble a gentle, protective Sonic more than anything.

6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Flynn needs to do that as soon as possible, Sarline is just bland

I think it's less that he's bland and more that he's not really doing much right now. The previous issue ended on a note that sets up something, though.

6 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Random thought, but I really hope if IDW does a second round of Deviations, we get a bad ending version of this arc. That variant with all the characters turned into zombots is way too interesting not to explore in a what if. I’d love to see Silver trying to survive in the zombot future he mentioned in a previous issue, could be like his fight against the Prelates in Sonic Universe.

Deviations? Second round? 

3 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

Off-topic but I love how nobody here can spell “Gemerl”.

To be fair, that itself was just Mr. Flynn buckling down on something, as he's been alternatively called G-merl and Gmel beforehand.

22 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Deviations? Second round? 

A limited series similar to Marvel's What If series where IDW creators took well known stories and changed a huge detail to make a new story, and in many cases - took scenarios where the villains won. For example, the TMNT issue had a twist on the milestone City Fall arc where for the sake of context, Shredder brainwashed Leonardo into a loyal foot soldier and turned him against his family, and this shift in power allowed him to take over the city. Instead of Leo being broken of foot brainwashing, and the Turtles with Splinter, April, and Casey escaping to the countryside to plan their next move, and recover from the affect Shredder's plan had, the Deviation features a world where all four Turtles were brainwashed into Foot Soldiers and were hell-bent on killing Splinter on Shredder's command. 

Ghostbusters also had another story where Gozer won at the end of the first movie, turning New York into hell, and unleashing ghosts everywhere, which ironically causes Gozer to join forces with the Ghostbusters because he hates being stuck in the form of the Staypuff Marshmellow Man and is bored of his destruction

18 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

A limited series similar to Marvel's What If series where IDW creators took well known stories and changed a huge detail to make a new story, and in many cases - took scenarios where the villains won. For example, the TMNT issue had a twist on the milestone City Fall arc where for the sake of context, Shredder brainwashed Leonardo into a loyal foot soldier and turned him against his family, and this shift in power allowed him to take over the city. Instead of Leo being broken of foot brainwashing, and the Turtles with Splinter, April, and Casey escaping to the countryside to plan their next move, and recover from the affect Shredder's plan had, the Deviation features a world where all four Turtles were brainwashed into Foot Soldiers and were hell-bent on killing Splinter on Shredder's command. 

Ghostbusters also had another story where Gozer won at the end of the first movie, turning New York into hell, and unleashing ghosts everywhere, which ironically causes Gozer to join forces with the Ghostbusters because he hates being stuck in the form of the Staypuff Marshmellow Man and is bored of his destruction

Okay, that second in particular sounds amazing.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see something like that. Maybe even give other writers something to do.

There have also been less drastic scenarios, like the MLP one, where a different character came to Ponyville to be Celestia’s student at the beginning of the series instead of Twilight Sparkle.

I wouldn’t mind seeing scenarios like, say, what if Tails was the one who singlehandedly brought down the Death Egg instead of Sonic (basically the solo Tails playthrough of Sonic 2 with a narrative) or even Knuckles (Knuckles in Sonic 2).

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, that second in particular sounds amazing.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see something like that. Maybe even give other writers something to do.

Say if Eggman's Zombot virus did turn everyone, including Sonic. Be careful what you wish for! 

1 hour ago, Forgetful Panda said:

There have also been less drastic scenarios, like the MLP one, where a different character came to Ponyville to be Celestia’s student at the beginning of the series instead of Twilight Sparkle.

I wouldn’t mind seeing scenarios like, say, what if Tails was the one who singlehandedly brought down the Death Egg instead of Sonic (basically the solo Tails playthrough of Sonic 2 with a narrative) or even Knuckles (Knuckles in Sonic 2).

Honestly a bunch of the endings of Shadow The Hedgehog would be really interesting to see done in a Deviations issue too.

It wouldn't be the first foray into that  sonic comics would make. The future arcs were that, just...awful

But the idea of the characters in what if futures doesn't in inherently have a weird shipping mess and subsequently a weird story trying to fix the previous gross shipping mess and being a different kinda mess. But his don't have to be! Its a clean slate, you can do all kinds of cool shit. I would love a buncha stories about what ifs and alt futures and what not. Maybe they can even pull like an adventure time and have an entire gender flipped special. It would be cool

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Maybe they can even pull like an adventure time and have an entire gender flipped special. It would be cool

Oh boy, can't wait to see a Spear Counterpart of Amy get a fanbase!