Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

axe ...?

XD614G-300x300.png

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Where's a 12 year old gonna get an axe from?

Should be a bat or something.

Yeah, actually. He'd be quite the Lil Slugger.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Where's a 12 year old gonna get an axe from?

Should be a bat or something.

It would also at least in my mind be a guitar.

Like how amy is also a magician that never really does magic often. Boy amy, or maybe armie in this case would have a axe guitar and never actually play music.

The Baseball bat thing is a good idea as well, but I would rather normal amy just...get that.

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

It would also at least in my mind be a guitar.

Like how amy is also a magician that never really does magic often. Boy amy, or maybe armie in this case would have a axe guitar and never actually play music.

The Baseball bat thing is a good idea as well, but I would rather normal amy just...get that.

Oh, of course.

Why be in a hardcore rock band when you can just skip to the violent part?

Just now, Forgetful Panda said:

Aww the hammer, classic girl equipment...

That IDW Deviation line does sound pretty cool. I am very curious if IDW in general would want to utilise Sonic outside the main book, either in terms of crossovers, or more event stuff like that. I mean I guess it would all need to be approved by Sega, and how they feel about cross promotion. I do wonder if we'll see a crossover down the line, certainly while I don't read TMNT or MLP, it seems like Sonic would be a decent fit to crossover with those franchises. Just hopefully if they do do that, they'll just make it a mini-series, rather than interupt the main book for a crossover.

Personally I like the idea of an alt future scenario. One of my favourite stories from Archie (that I've read) is Mobius: 30 Years Later, with Shadow being an insane evil king, and Tikal and Chaos being corrupted into some fusion doomsday weapon. I wouldn't mind something in the same vein, ableit with it being made clear that it is a non-canon future, rather than Archie which seemed to try and make M25YL/M30YL canonical.

34 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

Aww the hammer, classic girl equipment...

Amy's personality doesn't suit having a bat, having a hammer is much more fitting

Unsurprisingly there's a decent amount of female characters whose main weapon is a GFH.

Visually, they all look like they're in Amy's character type.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, Red said:

Another cover for #24! I love this one!

70590937_10218996955582070_7926579998394155008_o.jpg

Maybe its the red eyes and deranged faces, but I'm getting major Sonic.exe vibes from this picture. Its interesting in that it's horrifying. However, I don't feel like this is going to raise the stakes as far as it could to maximize the effect of the virus. The metal virus has the potential to be a very intruiging plot device, but when none of the major characters are expected to endure the full magnitude of its effects for a prolonged period, it takes away the threat level. One of the bonuses of Archie was that it had enough prominent characters who lacked plot armor that could be utilized for these purposes. This is probably one of the major criticisms I have towards focusing the series almost entirely on game characters.

12 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

Maybe its the red eyes and deranged faces, but I'm getting major Sonic.exe vibes from this picture. Its interesting in that it's horrifying. However, I don't feel like this is going to raise the stakes as far as it could to maximize the effect of the virus. The metal virus has the potential to be a very intruiging plot device, but when none of the major characters are expected to endure the full magnitude of its effects for a prolonged period, it takes away the threat level. One of the bonuses of Archie was that it had enough prominent characters who lacked plot armor that could be utilized for these purposes. This is probably one of the major criticisms I have towards focusing the series almost entirely on game characters.

Now that you mention it, the only named IDW originals that has been transformed thus far are Rough n Tumble and Scruffy; the former two are MIA courtesy of a pit and Scruffy hasn't been seen since his infection.

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Now that you mention it, the only named IDW originals that has been transformed thus far are Rough n Tumble and Scruffy; the former two are MIA courtesy of a pit and Scruffy hasn't been seen since his infection.

As much as people complain about Archie creating original characters and them taking spotlight from game characters, this is what happens when you have too many game characters in the main cast: The series gets boring after awhile, because their plot armor makes outcomes too predictable, with losses being barely consequential at best. None of the characters infected so far have gotten a particularly strong reaction from veiwers. Either because its a game character, and we already know the virus isn't going to do anything long term to them, or the character wasn't established enough, due to the fact the focus was predominately on game characters.

I kind of feel though, that Ian blundered a bit with Rough and Tumble. There was an opportunity to do something interesting with them through this experience and he missed it. It would have made more of an impact if only one of the brothers got infected, leaving the other to reluctantly team up with Sonic. We could have learned more about the brothers through one of them tailing Sonic, with potential character development through their efforts to save the other brother.

18 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

As much as people complain about Archie creating original characters and them taking spotlight from game characters, this is what happens when you have too many game characters in the main cast: The series gets boring after awhile, because their plot armor makes outcomes too predictable, with losses being barely consequential at best. None of the characters infected so far have gotten a particularly strong reaction from veiwers. Either because its a game character, and we already know the virus isn't going to do anything long term to them, or the character wasn't established enough, due to the fact the focus was predominately on game characters.

Yeah,we've lost Charmy, Cheese, & Chocola and until Shadow, it's the second that comes closer to being of a significant impact. And at the very least, we know he will join Shadow in being a significant threat in upcoming issues.

That's about it though.

18 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

I kind of feel though, that Ian blundered a bit with Rough and Tumble. There was an opportunity to do something interesting with them through this experience and he missed it. It would have made more of an impact if only one of the brothers got infected, leaving the other to reluctantly team up with Sonic. We could have learned more about the brothers through one of them tailing Sonic, with potential character development through their efforts to save the other brother.

ac7.gif

30 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

I don't think the situation's quite as bad as that. There are restrictions on what they can do with the game cast, sure, we all know Shadow isn't going to to get killed off or remain permanently zombied or whatever, but they've still got room to do interesting things within the arc, before things snap back to the status quo. The comic's already reaching for some meaningful impact; it's had Sonic questioning if he's to blame for the whole metal virus thing, and the scenes in the bunker showing how everyone's burnt out and several characters are dealing with losing someone to the virus. I don't think it's landed nearly as well as it should, but if written well it can still matter now, even if it probably won't in a year or two.

41 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't think the situation's quite as bad as that. There are restrictions on what they can do with the game cast, sure, we all know Shadow isn't going to to get killed off or remain permanently zombied or whatever, but they've still got room to do interesting things within the arc, before things snap back to the status quo. The comic's already reaching for some meaningful impact; it's had Sonic questioning if he's to blame for the whole metal virus thing, and the scenes in the bunker showing how everyone's burnt out and several characters are dealing with losing someone to the virus. I don't think it's landed nearly as well as it should, but if written well it can still matter now, even if it probably won't in a year or two.

I wish I had your confidence.

The last book proved that sega isn't going to let shadow be characterized enough for that beef to matter.  So to, it kinda just renders the entire thing sonic pointless. He never had to consider shadow being write because shadow's just a jerk so he can disregard what's he's saying. That isn't to say they can't pull something out of this of value, they can. But it kinda just seems like the nature of the restrictions on the comic itself doesn't fit the story that's being written. Like for that story about sonic's compassion to be right, they are going to actually have to dwell on sonic kinda of being wrong and that's it. No this character is a jerk so i can disregard them, no pushing past it. Sonic's just gonna have to be wrong. And I don't know if the people writing this, or sega is willing to let that happen. The characters are to protected and guarded for the actual consideration that sonic might be wrong.

You can make this thing work, Sonic just has to just... have to actually dwell on a thing. And I don't know if that's possible. Because if he can't , the problem will be solved and we will just move on and all tension will be gone.

I've been thinking. Before regaining his memories, Mr. Tinker exclaims "I don't want to be Eggman!" I just really find that fascinating.

3WkYatA.jpg

Some part of Eggman, without the memories of his villainous career, manifested as a kind, compassionate inventor who just wants to help people. Some part of him that recoils at the very thought of becoming a supervillain again. Some part of him that just wants to live the rest of his life in peace.

That's probably the extent of what we'll ever see of this aspect of the character here, but I still think it's interesting. "Mr. Tinker" didn't come out of nowhere; Eggman's own mind formed that persona in the absence of any other memories to go on. He genuinely felt and thought and did kind things of his own volition.

I know it's beyond the scope of what Sega would ever allow Ian to do, but it really makes me wonder what set Eggman on the path to conquest in the first place. He just seemed so much happier and so much more fulfilled as a good guy, and it kinda makes me wonder what drove him away from that path originally.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

I've been thinking. Before regaining his memories, Mr. Tinker exclaims "I don't want to be Eggman!" I just really find that fascinating.

3WkYatA.jpg

Some part of Eggman, without the memories of his villainous career, manifested as a kind, compassionate inventor who just wants to help people. Some part of him that recoils at the very thought of becoming a supervillain again. Some part of him that just wants to live the rest of his life in peace.

That's probably the extent of what we'll ever see of this aspect of the character here, but I still think it's interesting. "Mr. Tinker" didn't come out of nowhere; Eggman's own mind formed that persona in the absence of any other memories to go on. He genuinely felt and thought and did kind things of his own volition.

I know it's beyond the scope of what Sega would ever allow Ian to do, but it really makes me wonder what set Eggman on the path to conquest in the first place. He just seemed so much happier and so much more fulfilled as a good guy, and it kinda makes me wonder what drove him away from that path originally.

My head canon is When Gun killed his grandfather and his cousin, he lost all hope in like the system itself being able to do good and wanted to take world domination and order into his own hands. He never had friends growing up and just hung out with his inventions and that sort of manifested in to the person he is today.

But yeah, given how much they were against Sonic Boom even touching the premise of a backstory even when that was another universe, I don't think they wish go there if they have control over the project. They are kinda in a " control the narrative " mode right now.

3 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Some part of Eggman, without the memories of his villainous career, manifested as a kind, compassionate inventor who just wants to help people. Some part of him that recoils at the very thought of becoming a supervillain again.

I think you might be reaching.

The more likely explanation at this reaction is that he is...assuming that Dr. Starline is going to brainwash him into being a different person.

Saying "But I'm not him..." kind of leads more to that. It'd be a bit more interesting if he said "again" which would mean he actually knows and believes that he was a different person.

13 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

That IDW Deviation line does sound pretty cool. I am very curious if IDW in general would want to utilise Sonic outside the main book, either in terms of crossovers, or more event stuff like that. I mean I guess it would all need to be approved by Sega, and how they feel about cross promotion. I do wonder if we'll see a crossover down the line, certainly while I don't read TMNT or MLP, it seems like Sonic would be a decent fit to crossover with those franchises. Just hopefully if they do do that, they'll just make it a mini-series, rather than interupt the main book for a crossover.

I'm certain it'll happen IDW loves that stuff. Honestly with the current Transformers toyline that's crossing over with other properties starting with Ghostbusters I wouldn't be shocked if they did a Sonic/Transformers crossover where an Autobot takes the form of the tornado or something.

Personally I'm still hoping for a TMNT crossover since I'm a big TMNT fan and outside of Transformers it's the only IDW license I can see happening. Maybe doing an intercompany one with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

As for if it'd be a miniseries no worries about that. All of IDW's crossovers usually are standalone miniseries usually about 4-5 issues in length. They usually are canon but not required reading. Like TMNT/Ghostbusters is canon to both series but is only barely touched upon afterwards in TMNT. Ghostbusters it's a little more important because it establishes the multiverse which a bunch of storylines after it would make full use of. Intercompany ones are usually non-canon. None of the Batman/TMNT comics which were published by DC are really canon to the IDW universe though they use elements of them. The upcoming Power Rangers/TMNT crossover by Boom Studios is also non-canon to either series in fact for MMPR it seems to be an alternate origin for Lord Drakkon from their comics.

12 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

3WkYatA.jpg

Would have been nice if Eggman stayed good for a while and help Sonic & co stop a new villain.

15 hours ago, Rosaleia said:

That would have been so cool!

19 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Presumably it's the Central City seen in Battle which could very well be set on the animal world or whatever.

But appears in Chronicles and is populated by GUN soldiers. Also GUN and the President play a small role in Battle's story.

I don't think SEGA likes crossing the streams, so it has gotta be the human world.

2 minutes ago, Slashy said:

But appears in Chronicles and is populated by GUN soldiers. Also GUN and the President play a small role in Battle's story.

I don't think SEGA likes crossing the streams, so it has gotta be the human world.

It's Animal World. The writer of the comic confirmed that everything takes place in the animal world. A separate planet from the human world.

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

But appears in Chronicles and is populated by GUN soldiers.

I imagine it was based more on the city seen in SA2/ShTH (which didn't confirm the name, though there is a stage with that name in ShTH). Battle's Central City may have been based on that location too, but as far as I remember it isn't made clear.

Edit: Oh wait, Central City is named in ShTH. Never mind then! I could believe them being different cities with the same name though.