Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

11 hours ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

sometimes i wonder if Sega knows that children aren't the ones primarily buying this stuff...i mean i can't honestly say I've seen many children these days who say they love sonic or that sonic's one of their favorite characters

not to mention it's been awhile since I've stumbled upon sonic merch in a store

You'd think they'd get with the program already. They're still stuck in the 1990s and early 2000s. Games are more expensive, and/or come with constant payouts to keep people paying. And kids these days don't have the same kind of disposable income to buy videgames that they used to. So while you can certainly still be mindful of them and make games to encourage kids to play, its kind of dumb in this day in age to market primarily to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

You'd think they'd get with the program already. They're still stuck in the 1990s and early 2000s. Games are more expensive, and/or come with constant payouts to keep people paying. And kids these days don't have the same kind of disposable income to buy videgames that they used to. So while you can certainly still be mindful of them and make games to encourage kids to play, its kind of dumb in this day in age to market primarily to them.

You willin if you think its dumb to primary market to them, when children are the ones primary buying most of the stuff. He's toys, clothing soon to be another cartoon, kids float most of that. Yes they have realized a nostalgia market exists and are begining to cater to it. But kids are still the primary market and that makes sense

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Guess what!

Tangle & Whisper issue 3, DELAYED, once AGAIN

Available october 23rd

Huh. This.. is going to be a common thing with this company.

• Absolutely 1

20 minutes ago, Razule said:

Huh. This.. is going to be a common thing with this company.

it was a common thing with archie and I'm surprised it's happening here too....

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

You willin if you think its dumb to primary market to them, when children are the ones primary buying most of the stuff. He's toys, clothing soon to be another cartoon, kids float most of that. Yes they have realized a nostalgia market exists and are begining to cater to it. But kids are still the primary market and that makes sense

If they were consuming reliably enough,  Sonic Boom wouldn't have been cancelled. And some kid buying the occasional cheap merchandise doesn't mean they invest in SEGA's games, which cost a lot more to make.

And that movie's not going to help Sonic's chances with kids, either. If anything, it'll just make it worse.

7 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

As a former Archie buyer I can tell you for a fact that, no, it wasn't. Archie may have had a couple delays, but they were nowhere near as frequent as IDW's. They almost always came on time with the exception of a couple occasions.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

If they were consuming reliably enough,  Sonic Boom wouldn't have been cancelled. And some kid buying the occasional cheap merchandise doesn't mean they invest in SEGA's games, which cost a lot more to make.

And that movie's not going to help Sonic's chances with kids, either. If anything, it'll just make it worse.

plus it's not like there's a bunch of sonic merchandise sitting on store shelves the merch these days is few and far between it's not like fortnite where some kid can just find a random piece of merchandise at walmart from a large assortment of the stuff

some people believe that kids still think sonic is one of the coolest video game characters ever and that just isn't the case anymore despite what sega may want you to believe

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

I know it didn't happen this often though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Just now, Razule said:

I know it didn't happen this often though.

when it did happen often it was the sign of the end of archie's run so this doesn't exactly bode well for idw....and if anything it makes me wonder if Sega will just rip the license away from IDW and be done with comics completely

first it was the ken penders crap with archie...so they went to idw but now IDW can't even be bothered to release their comics on time and just think "well it'll be released when it's released no big deal"

Nah, this isn't anything like the final delay in 2017. Archie had already lost the license but were lying to their consumers for months.

A week or two because IDW is missing deadlines is hardly anything like what Archie fans had to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

when it did happen often it was the sign of the end of archie's run so this doesn't exactly bode well for idw....and if anything it makes me wonder if Sega will just rip the license away from IDW and be done with comics completely

first it was the ken penders crap with archie...so they went to idw but now IDW can't even be bothered to release their comics on time and just think "well it'll be released when it's released no big deal"

This also doesn't bode well for SEGA's finances either. You have to think how deep a hole they must be in to put up with that. Irs also possible that SEGA isn't paying IDW enough in licensing fees so the comic doesn't get released as often as it should.

Also, they used to do major title every year for awhile now. I'd like to think that they're trying to take their time and rethink they're strategy, but knowing SEGA, its likely because they can't afford to anymore. Sonic doesn't even sell a million copies these days. Old rivals like Crash Bandicoot who initially faded into obscurity is ironically doing a lot better now, and outselling him.

24 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

some people believe that kids still think sonic is one of the coolest video game characters ever and that just isn't the case anymore despite what sega may want you to believe

These kids don't even know who Sonic is, anymore. SEGA wants to live in the past and rely on things like superficial 'nostalgia' and Sonic's classic popularity, but want to alienate the old fans who made him popular and would have otherwise brought their kids to the fandom to put new blood into it.

Hate to say it but it just gets worse and worse every year with SEGA, and we're probably witnessing the slow death of them a company. In 5-10 years I won't be surprised if someone else buys the rights to Sonic once they go bankrupt.

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Nah, this isn't anything like the final delay in 2017. Archie had already lost the license but were lying to their consumers for months.

A week or two because IDW is missing deadlines is hardly anything like what Archie fans had to deal with.

Except they've been delaying more than simply "a week or two". More like months, abruptly between issues and multiple times at that. Its hard for people to get back into a book when the release dates are so erratic and spacious, and I don't think its going to bode well for them in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

and looking at archie now is just sad they rely solely on the riverdale tv show and have completely abandoned their comics line for the most part....(their solicits are so tiny these days it's sad)

and yeah i know it's a week or two but the fact it's starting to become a common thing  shouldn't be excused...it's easy enough to shrug it off when it's just a week or two but if that keeps happening then it doesn't really do anything but make idw look bad for consistently missing deadlines

people told me oh the idw comics are good and i shouldn't hesitate to jump on board and now I'm regretting that decision with these delays

19 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

and looking at archie now is just sad they rely solely on the riverdale tv show and have completely abandoned their comics line for the most part....(their solicits are so tiny these days it's sad)

The solicits looked relatively normal until the December ones (only seven releases??), but it’s still pretty dire in every other area (rarely being able to dedicate to ongoing comics outside of the flagship title, over-relying on digests, etc.)

• Absolutely 1

1 minute ago, Forgetful Panda said:

The solicits looked relatively normal until the December ones (only seven releases??), but it’s still pretty dire in every other area (being unable to dedicate to ongoing comics outside of the flagship title, over-relying on digests, etc.)

not to mention the book that helped pull them out of obscurity(afterlife with archie)unofficially canceled because the writer is too busy with the riverdale tv series and at this point doesn't care about comic books anymore

however that kind of attitude can't really exist within the sonic ip because there's nothing else aside from the comics  that's all that's holding up the franchise at a consistent basis  there's no new games to look forward and there isn't a cartoon anymore

so the comics...that's basically it and with the delays that means people can't really enjoy the only piece of fresh sonic media that currently exists and for those characters that's not good

14 minutes ago, Rosaleia said:

Except they've been delaying more than simply "a week or two". More like months, abruptly between issues and multiple times at that. Its hard for people to get back into a book when the release dates are so erratic and spacious, and I don't think its going to bode well for them in the future.

This doesn't really seem to line up with IDW's release schedule though. I'm referencing comiXology specifically, so it's entirely possible the print run might be a different story but what I've seen:

#12 January 16
#13 February 6
#14  " 27
#15  March 20
#16 May 8
#17 " 22
#18 July 3
#19 " 24
August 28

So far it appears they make up for many of these delays and so far issues #21-22 are also due out in October. I get "Tangle & Whisper" is a different story, but that's not the only mini-series that I've seen IDW have trouble getting out on time this year ("Shredder in Hell" should have been collected months ago). I'll walk back and admit that I'm wrong about it only being a couple weeks at a time sometimes, but the situation doesn't seem that bad right now; just terribly inconvenient with how much comics cost these days.

• Thumbs Up 2

the cost is a concern...especially if you are like me and have a pull list you need to know when comics are coming out....being told "it'll be out when it's out" by idw's actions doesn't help anyone and it just results in fans being frustrated that the comics aren't being taken seriously by idw to the point where they can't even meet deadlines anymore

but i do wonder...is this all IDW's fault or should we blame Ian Flynn and the artists a little?

1 hour ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

the cost is a concern...especially if you are like me and have a pull list you need to know when comics are coming out....being told "it'll be out when it's out" by idw's actions doesn't help anyone and it just results in fans being frustrated that the comics aren't being taken seriously by idw to the point where they can't even meet deadlines anymore

but i do wonder...is this all IDW's fault or should we blame Ian Flynn and the artists a little?

Some artists were busy with other projects like video games, others with personal life helping adopted kids...