Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

it just feels like there needs to be more said about this because nobody wants to wake up and find out their pull list is super expensive because a bunch of sonic comics got pushed into coming out the same month...

we have to find out the books are delayed from an unrelated source like a random comic book store's website or something

IDW usually doesn't talk about sonic delays or even mention they happened...it's just we find out randomly and have to make up theories over why it happened

1 minute ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

it just feels like there needs to be more said about this because nobody wants to wake up and find out their pull list is super expensive because a bunch of sonic comics got pushed into coming out the same month...

we have to find out the books are delayed from an unrelated source like a random comic book store's website or something 

IDW usually doesn't talk about sonic delays or even mention they happened...it's just we find out randomly and have to make up theories over why it happened

They delay Tangle & Whisper for example, to give more time for the main Sonic comic to be bought, instead of releasing them one week apart, they gonna release one month apart!

there's two issues of sonic in october and two issues of the T&W Mini in october...not sure how that helps anyone

i mean the latest T&W delay puts it at the same day as #22 for Sonic

16 hours ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

sometimes i wonder if Sega knows that children aren't the ones primarily buying this stuff...i mean i can't honestly say I've seen many children these days who say they love sonic or that sonic's one of their favorite characters

not to mention it's been awhile since I've stumbled upon sonic merch in a store

What the heck?!

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What the heck?!

what's so shocking? it's true most kids don't even like sonic or  know diddly about the franchise....it's foolish to claim otherwise at this point

48 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

Pretty sure he’s talking about the weird tweet.

yeah i have no idea how that happened honestly....i thought i got rid of it but apparently not

anyways i have $10 to use on tfaw and I'm considering using that on Volume 4 of the sonic IDW Series(Infection)but eh I'm not sure

also lol IDW says issue 22 is out this week when it's actually 21  they are so out of it...

I can't believe it...

Instead of focusing on her smile, I should've focused on...why does Whisper have the gun from the sans Mii costume?

Not sure how I didn't notice that before.

Evil Cheese.

• Thumbs Up 1

it's a little weird how they flubbed up the issue numbers in the tweet but eh whatever...as long as it actually comes out this week that's all that should matter i guess

the fewer delays the better

The delays are certainly noticeable. I have seen some speculation it might be current sega's weird approval process, printing issues,  issues internally at the IDW pipeline, but we don't know. But I don't thin we are on " The books dead " territory yet

5 hours ago, Rosaleia said:

If they were consuming reliably enough,  Sonic Boom wouldn't have been cancelled. And some kid buying the occasional cheap merchandise doesn't mean they invest in SEGA's games, which cost a lot more to make.

And that movie's not going to help Sonic's chances with kids, either. If anything, it'll just make it worse.

Sonic boom got canceled because the games were bad. The show did fine, no one wanted to continue on with the brand. And that's why folks don't want t engage, kids would engage with the product, like the kids playing mania.

But you said yourself , people are working off of limited income correct?

As for the film, we will see. I have no faith in it whatsoever and to me it looks like a bargin bin generic. But even worse so, a generic film that should have came out 10+ years ago. Not something released now, because even its live action contemplatives like the smurffs moved on to full animated films. And that includes the generic seeming plot, characters and settting. Sufficed to say, I don't think much of the film. However there are two things

1) There people who permanently know things and the film sounds...fine apparently. Now loose information doesn't a film make, but it could just be alright

2) Like transformers, could be ass but a bunch of people see it justifying more of its existence

So we will see.

4 hours ago, Rosaleia said:

This also doesn't bode well for SEGA's finances either. You have to think how deep a hole they must be in to put up with that. Irs also possible that SEGA isn't paying IDW enough in licensing fees so the comic doesn't get released as often as it should.

Considering they often do not advertise the book, they might not give too much of a shit.

Also, they used to do major title every year for awhile now. I'd like to think that they're trying to take their time and rethink they're strategy, but knowing SEGA, its likely because they can't afford to anymore. Sonic doesn't even sell a million copies these days. Old rivals like Crash Bandicoot who initially faded into obscurity is ironically doing a lot better now, and outselling him.

But Sonic can, its games have to be interesting and good.

The last one of those was sonic mania. And that did go over a million, they can't float on nostalgia anymore though. You are right though , Folks aren't buying bad games kids have limited money and adults don't have the time. Sonic mania has effectively made things worse for them, because now there is qualiity comparison, but even more so people who now just saw the classic fans just get what they want... what's stopping from not engaging until " adventure mania " , given the quality not much.

I believe sonic games can still do very well, or as well as they have been. Which is around 1-3ish million copies. Just you know, they have to be interesting in good. Its why I think sonic should start branching out away from just platformers. But that's a different dicussion

These kids don't even know who Sonic is, anymore. SEGA wants to live in the past and rely on things like superficial 'nostalgia' and Sonic's classic popularity, but want to alienate the old fans who made him popular and would have otherwise brought their kids to the fandom to put new blood into it.

I believe kids know of sonic. However their perception of who is , has been warped of years of failure and memes. That said the rest of your statement is very much correct

Hate to say it but it just gets worse and worse every year with SEGA, and we're probably witnessing the slow death of them a company. In 5-10 years I won't be surprised if someone else buys the rights to Sonic once they go bankrupt.

PFFT

You know they make more than sonic right ? You know they aren't even just a video game company ... right? Like you can't be serious right now. Part of the reason sonic has been getting the lack of budget its getting is because sega does not care because they don't have to. Not just because they are willing to scoop up whatever sales they can, but more so because they have a lot of other things in sega making them. Heck they even have sonic team helping bring back other franchises with sakura wars.

There were some issues with Sonic Boom's ratings actually. Season 1 did okay but season 2 kinda tanked in its moved slot. 

1 hour ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

yeah i have no idea how that happened honestly....i thought i got rid of it but apparently not

anyways i have $10 to use on tfaw and I'm considering using that on Volume 4 of the sonic IDW Series(Infection)but eh I'm not sure

also lol IDW says issue 22 is out this week when it's actually 21  they are so out of it...

Oh, that's the next one? 

Huh.

Also, what happened to those pricks on Cheese's nuffs?

58 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I can't believe it...

Instead of focusing on her smile, I should've focused on...why does Whisper have the gun from the sans Mii costume?

Not sure how I didn't notice that before.

Evil Cheese.

I don't know how you didn't see the Gaster Blaster either.

13 minutes ago, Dr Egg-Gin said:

There were some issues with Sonic Boom's ratings actually. Season 1 did okay but season 2 kinda tanked in its moved slot. 

Although it apparently got a sudden boost near the end that caused SEGA to briefly reconsider canceling it in favor of finding a new crew to work on it.

So far guys up to this point are you satisfied with this run and how would you compare it to the early part of The archie soft reboot?

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I don't know how you didn't see the Gaster Blaster either.

I did see it, I just thought it was a wispon...

Also I wouldn't blame a show being moved to a new network and its audience not wanting to follow it. Sonic boom wasn't supposed to be the hugest thing on the planet it was a funny cartoon that was supposed to be accompanying a bunch of games in a new branch of sonic, those games failed and while people didn't just drop the show they might not have felt the burning desire to follow it to another net work because the writing was on the wall

11 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

So far guys up to this point are you satisfied with this run and how would you compare it to the early part of The archie soft reboot?

I don't think that the archie reboot was soft  , by any means. However as far as the book goes, so I have problems personally

• Shadow's characterization, and while that has to do with sega that didn't make ian flynn still write him in situations where it doesn't work. Because I don't believe his current characterization can't work, Ian flynn needs to figure that out thuogh
  • Amy basically being an exposition and forces reference machine. That's Kinda all she's been and I don't like forces and I think amy is a lot more interesting that reminding you that forces existed.
  • The story is not going to fast, but more so its kinda erratic in a way form like 5 million miles away due to the set of the book you can see that nothing happening is gonna..matter. Yes I know this is a funny book for kids but this book has a bad habbit of doing stuff that just sort of takes you out of the situation entirely despite the characterization mostly being on point with the general story struction Its focused on the narrative rather than the characters and I think the book and any sonic product doing that suffers for it. I feel like you focus on the characters because that's what selling... all the sonic shit, but I'm not in charge the book
  • Best character American president has yet to show up, damn shame

All that said, how does it compare. Its still better than like...most of the archie main book run. Including the reboot . I find this world and the focus on game characters more interesting. Now, Sonic Universe is still the best, and this is nowhere near as good as that. But as far as the main book goes, this is better than most of it

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Rosaleia said:

This also doesn't bode well for SEGA's finances either. You have to think how deep a hole they must be in to put up with that. Irs also possible that SEGA isn't paying IDW enough in licensing fees so the comic doesn't get released as often as it should.

I missed this earlier, but I think it's worth clearing up here that Sega does not pay IDW to make the comic; IDW pays them. Most delays are likely in the production on IDW's side, whether it's artists missing deadlines, distribution issues with Diamond, editorial issues, or even getting approval with Sega.

Sega is hardly hurting for money.

58 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Considering they often do not advertise the book, they might not give too much of a shit.

They still push the book when it's close enough to release on their livestreams; the handful I scrub through have all had updates for IDW even as recently as a month or so ago. Otherwise their advertising for this book is about the same as what they gave Archie: none. It's ultimately the publishers' responsibility to advertise them and IDW actually does an excellent job of that.

27 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

When I read year one, I felt it was basically the Archie reboot minus the Western elements and more in line with the game canon--which comes with things I don't personally like (modern/classic split, two worlds, no inclusion of other continuities--though I can live with this restriction), but it's serviceable if all you care about is game Sonic. It shares some of the same pacing issues later parts of the Archie reboot had, but the characters and dialogue are as strong as ever from what I've seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

When I read year one, I felt it was basically the Archie reboot minus the Western elements and more in line with the game canon--which comes with things I don't personally like (modern/classic split, two worlds, no inclusion of other continuities--though I can live with this restriction)

None of that stuff is gonna matter in the comic though. I'd assume the only thing that'll come close to mattering is the 2 worlds, but that'll only ever happen if Ian wants to do a story that involves humans.

Honestly, if the characters have such a seamless transition between the human world and the antrho world that in itself also shouldn't matte...it'd be like it doesn't even exist.

Has Ian said if he can use the human world elements at all? Like, could we have an issue where suddenly Sonic is in Station Square with a bunch of humans and G.U.N. and shit? Can they actually address the idea of two worlds in the comic?

3 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Has Ian said if he can use the human world elements at all? Like, could we have an issue where suddenly Sonic is in Station Square with a bunch of humans and G.U.N. and shit? Can they actually address the idea of two worlds in the comic?

I think he's mentioned he can, he's just not going there right now.

1 hour ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

Eh, it's okay/so-so.

There's a few neatish things here and there, but unfortunately, it's kinda just a somewhat boggy continuation of Forces. I don't really want to compare the two beyond the obvious, though. 

36 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

None of that stuff is gonna matter in the comic though.

How does it not matter? They can't use a good deal of characters because of it. I can kind of understand alternate continuities since for some of them at least I imagine there's some nightmare legal stuff going on, hell I wouldn't be surprised if that applies to SatAM/AOSTH too and they only continued to exist because they were grandfathered in under Archie's contracts or something, but the classic characters being restricted is 100% SEGA's call.

Ironically considering you mentioned the two worlds thing as the slight exception...I honestly think that's the one that matters the least, at least for me personally. I get it contradicts stuff from various games and I agree it feels unnecessary (how many people actually complain about humans existing in Sonic), but whatever, I don't mind retcons; the thing that continues to baffle me is how it's yet to actually come up in the games. I can understand Ian avoiding it as much as possible, mind you. Certain people blame him for the FF being gone so I'm scared to find out what'll happen if something as controversial as that comes up in the book.

3 minutes ago, Celestia said:

They can't use a good deal of characters because of it.

I mean...they can, but it's unlikely as heck there'd be another comic just for the classic characters.

I wasn't quite thinking about those characters when I said that though, but it's mild enough.

Just now, MainJP said:

Which Vegeta?

Classic Stupid arrogance vegeta who wants everything to be a contest between him and goku no matter how dumb it seems at the moment

so maybe DBS Vegeta? since for the most part he leans heavily into the stupid arrogance there

• Thumbs Up 1