Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

I did see it, I just thought it was a wispon...

Understandable.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

• Best character American president has yet to show up, damn shame

What? Who? Why?

IDW exclusives will get posters, t-shirts and keychains (ie easy custom items) at most and they'll like it. 

8 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

Vegeta Shadow is kinda lame

He is more or less the worst character now.

8 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Which Vegeta?

The one that most people use for comparison, I guess.

5 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

Classic Stupid arrogance vegeta who wants everything to be a contest between him and goku no matter how dumb it seems at the moment

so maybe DBS Vegeta? since for the most part he leans heavily into the stupid arrogance there

Really? Maybe it's cause I've been in the Tournament of Power, but I thought he was generally more reasonable than Goku there.

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

He's just as confused as you.

F2D80AB4C36C202E27ECC30556346652F4477723

That mouth, wtf.

Was he ever named, btw?

15 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

Classic Stupid arrogance vegeta who wants everything to be a contest between him and goku no matter how dumb it seems at the moment

so maybe DBS Vegeta? since for the most part he leans heavily into the stupid arrogance there

Nah it's more Android saga Vegeta. The peak of being overblown. DBS Vegeta has more to him. Shadow is just Android Saga Vegeta, but I have yet to decide if I think he's worse or not....perhaps by default because he feels like a copy cat, but on the other hand hasn't done anything that stupid.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Nah it's more Android saga Vegeta. The peak of being overblown. DBS Vegeta has more to him. Shadow is just Android Saga Vegeta, but I have yet to decide if I think he's worse or not....perhaps by default because he feels like a copy cat, but on the other hand has done anything that stupid.

i suppose you are right....honestly i just think these sega mandates are just sega thinking "this is what kids like!" without realizing kids don't buy the comics

so this angry edgelord who has no friends shadow....isn't appealing to anyone

I prefer a version of Shadow that clashes with Sonic in terms of having separate ideals and different opinions about how to best protect the world. Something that justifies that "rival" label they keep plastering him with so as to not just outright label him as yet another obligatory friend of Sonic. The dilemma concerning Mr. Tinker was a neat example of that for me. I like the idea of Team Dark being more willing to be less kind when it comes to their methods of handling shit. Rouge is the nicest of the three but even she's certainly not an out and out hero. Omega is a massacre man who just happens to align with the heroes because the things he wants destroyed just so happen to be the thing that threatens the lives of everyone on a daily basis. He's driven by pure ego and a thirst for vengeance and destruction and it's beautiful. 

So, the general idea behind this version of Shadow I'm actually on board with. I could never really get into Archie Shadow because it mostly just felt like I was following the story of just another hero, albeit with more baggage and less tolerance for fun. 

My issue is more so how problematic it can be if they lean too much into the egotistical, angry side of his personality. Having ideals that clash with Sonic doesn't necessarily mean he HAS to be an edgelord. There's a balance there but it would seem SEGA just wants him to be against Sonic just because and... that's not cool either. 

51 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Nah it's more Android saga Vegeta. The peak of being overblown. DBS Vegeta has more to him. Shadow is just Android Saga Vegeta, but I have yet to decide if I think he's worse or not....perhaps by default because he feels like a copy cat, but on the other hand hasn't done anything that stupid.

He also doesn't have a Trunks to react to him.

20 minutes ago, Razule said:

Shadow's a Vegeta that can never grow. All we can do is wait for the next direction change.

And when will that be?

29 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

And when will that be?

Whenever they decide it isn't working for them and they change him. Good news is that they sell him enough , people not liking a direction might make em do something. Even the people working on the mateial are openly talking about it. Bad news is, Sonic is one to stick to awful ideas for long periods because...reasons

1 hour ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

i suppose you are right....honestly i just think these sega mandates are just sega thinking "this is what kids like!" without realizing kids don't buy the comics

so this angry edgelord who has no friends shadow....isn't appealing to anyone

I think the situation is more creatively complicated than just " The kids " especially considering sonic and eggman do not have these restrictions.

As for the bottom part. Hmm, I don't think its hopeless. While yes I do think Ian Flynn writing a story about should you murder a guy in a series like this was...I'm gonna be honest really dumb. It can work, I think the issue primary with the last issue is that he came off to arrogant. However if they focused on pragmatism  , it can work. In fact they can even make shadow " friendless " and make it work in the story.  They are just going to have to commit

If this story were to end with shadow while people were trying to celebrate explaining how this all could have been avoided and how they should not regularly rely on eggman for him to his own problems. And like... let that sit, don't back track it, just let it hang. And maybe have some of the cast be on board. While it wouldn't fix him, it would change him, from vegeta.... to batman, a batman a bit more content with murder than the normal one. But the " I'm gonna do fucked up shit behind the scenes so I can save the day, but i'm driving everyone away doing so and dealing with that " I feel like fits in the batman sphere. .And I can kinda...work with batman shadow. A shadow who's actually doing what his character description implies and doing actually bad to nefarious shit to keep things from going to pot instead of just fighting sonic. Can steer this in the right direction

50 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

And when will that be?

Someday, somewhere, somehow, his character will make sense again. They just need to realize this is dumb.

2 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Well if he did do anything that "stupid" it would be automatically worse than Veggie because unlike him, Shadow isn't from a race instinctively inclined to do things for a better fight or do things out of spite.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Well if he did do anything that "stupid" it would be automatically worse than Veggie because unlike him, Shadow isn't from a race instinctively inclined to do things for a better fight or do things out of spite.

I disagree. Shadows stupidity doesn't all but fuck everything over when it comes to the crisis. It makes it worse but doesn't make the chances of winning drop so insanely low. Vegeta basically fucked everyone over by letting Cell become so powerful that even the main character couldn't stop him. So much so they had to rely on a child who was woefully unprepared and even then if not for Cell's ego and curiosity probably woulda failed. In comparison Shadow is actually weaker as he doesn't seem to have access to his full chaos powers and isn't nearly as fast because he can't operate his skates. So both did something stupid, but I'd say Vegeta's was far more catastrophic in fucking everything up.

6 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I disagree.

What are you disagreeing with?

Neither of us said what Shadow did was as stupid as Veggie letting Cell get 18.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What are you disagreeing with?

Neither of us said what Shadow did was as stupid as Veggie letting Cell get 18.

I took this as what Shadow did is somehow stupider than what Vegeta did. My bad if I misinterpreted that, which it seems I have. Though I think I now get the original meaning rather than what I accidentally saw. 

Shadows bad, but he hasn't been openly mysogonic or helping bad guys for shown own benefit then getting molly wopped like veggie during that arc

The fact that it seems contrived to try and force Sonic and Shadow to fight at all probably means they should stop forcing it and make a story involving Sonic and Shadow about something else. Sonic and Shadow can disagree on some things but they don't have to argue and fight every time they come together. The "rival" bullshit is just a label and I'd rather just see friction coming from the two working together than these forced spats that make everyone involved look immature. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

The fact that it seems contrived to try and force Sonic and Shadow to fight at all probably means they should stop forcing it and make a story involving Sonic and Shadow about something else.

This. Ok Sonic Team mandates, not the best. But they didn't force Ian flynn to write a sonic vs shadow story shoved into another story. He did that. The creative team did that. And flynn did this before back at archie. And I just don't mean the sonic vs shadow thing. What I mean is him forcing stories to happen even if elements do not work and make the story worse. Most of the werehog arc was that.

Now I don't know what the situation is over there. Maybe there is are some people who want the sonic vs shadow issues because they sell real good. I dunno Ian Flynn is just a writer he has a lot of people he needs to listen to. So he can keep his job. Like Sega with its weird character mandates.

All i'm gonna say is, if you gonna have shadow and sonic fight, at least write it in an interesting way instead of shoving it into a story where it didn't need to happen and just feels...forced. Maybe Isolate it, dunno. But this was infact, not it. Maybe it gets better, maybe later shadow gets unzobied and provides a riveting speak about taking action that justifies this. But as of current not great.

Sonic and Shadow can disagree on some things but they don't have to argue and fight every time they come together.

The "rival" bullshit is just a label and I'd rather just see friction coming from the two working together than these forced spats that make everyone involved look immature. 

To be fair to everyone involved sonic and shadow having different ideologies on how to deal with issues is the deal. So them fighting over things is in itself fine and I don't feel like the issue. However having them work together would have at least shown how they are different heroics wise , like a duality kinda thing.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

The fact that it seems contrived to try and force Sonic and Shadow to fight at all probably means they should stop forcing it and make a story involving Sonic and Shadow about something else. Sonic and Shadow can disagree on some things but they don't have to argue and fight every time they come together. The "rival" bullshit is just a label and I'd rather just see friction coming from the two working together than these forced spats that make everyone involved look immature. 

No offense, but aren't fans tired of things like… immediately? We've barely seen Shadow a couple of times, Ian is establishing him as an anti-hero first, his differences with Sonic and interesting moral conflicts, I don't believe it is forced. Just that Shadow is Always on the "wrong" extreme side.

I love the Sonic vs Shadow rivalry personally, and when Shadow acts like a dick, so I'm glad it's here, not all the time of course, but they fought twice in the comic, it's still early, I'm sure next time there will be something different for him, or it really gets tiring, then I will agree.

Mmh, 4 artists that do the interior, nearly one month of delay… Seems that there have been some production problems during the drawing process (either the pencilling or the inking, as I'm not sure which did what). I just hope that it's not that a problem happened in the life of one of the artists.

So, talking about the actual preview :

Spoiler

I really like that Tails have to go more in a "stealth" way instead of doing full fighting mode like most other character, it's pretty appropriate to the zombie apocalypse mood. Even if I suppose that he will go full Cyclone as two of the cover are showing it xD

4 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Mmh, 4 artists that do the interior (and with a strange division in how some pages where handled, I mean two random page 16 and 19 made by one other person), nearly one month of delay, and art that seems a bit subpar from previous comics… Seems that there have been some production problems during the drawing process. I hope that it's not a personnal problem in the life of one of the artists

So, talking about the actual preview :

Hide contents

I really like that Tails have to go more in a "stealth" way instead of doing full fighting mode like most other character, it's pretty appropriate to the zombie apocalypse mood. Even if I suppose that he will go full Cyclone as two of the cover are showing it xD

They should just make Bracardy Curry or Reggie Graham artists instead of just colorists, I'm sure they can meet deadline and still do good art.

Kids like seeing Sonic and Shadow fight, Sonic and Shadow fighting sells comics. That's all there really is to it.

• Thumbs Up 1