Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

16 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

They should just make Bracardy Curry or Reggie Graham artists instead of just colorists, I'm sure they can meet deadline and still do good art. 

TBH, I wouldn't infer that it's necessarily a problem with the artists that created the delay. We don't know anything about the "behind the scene", and it's perfectly possible that it's simply something happened that delayed the work (not necessarily a big problem, but maybe just a some things that take times). And the problem being during the artistic process doesn't mean that it can't be an administrative/whatever problem directly in IDW. Or that they had to change something at the last moment because of some reason, etc, etc. It can be a lot of reason, so I wouldn't jump on the soap box just for that.

And if tbh, I'm pretty sure that the editor will give them interior work if both (the colorists and the editor) wants it. And TBH, as colorists are also really important for the comics (and that's the colors are especially a strong point of the IDWSonic comics), I can understand why they would want to keep some excellent colorists as colorists first.

1 minute ago, Kazhnuz said:

I can understand why they would want to keep some excellent colorists as colorists first.

That's true.

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Kids like seeing Sonic and Shadow fight, Sonic and Shadow fighting sells comics. That's all there really is to it.

do we know that for sure? i mean like i stated it's not like kids just walk into comic shops these days or find these books just laying around any store

18 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

do we know that for sure? i mean like i stated it's not like kids just walk into comic shops these days or find these books just laying around any store

I'm guessing it's not adults sending in crayon drawings in the fan letter sections.

• Chuckle 3
  • Absolutely 1

Just now, Razule said:

I'm guessing it's not adults sending in crayon drawings in the fan letter sections.

I'm not saying it is but unless comic book shops have been cropping up more i don't really see  how these kids are getting easy access to them without their parents using their credit card for Comixology or ordering them online and honestly i don't see many parents really doing that unless they themselves are also sonic fans

i can't believe i keep having to bring up that sonic isn't just a franchise you get into anymore without someone introducing you to it

it's long past the days where sonic merchandise was selling like hotcakes and you couldn't go five feet without tripping over something sonic related

12 minutes ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

I'm not saying it is but unless comic book shops have been cropping up more i don't really see  how these kids are getting easy access to them without their parents using their credit card for Comixology or ordering them online and honestly i don't see many parents really doing that unless they themselves are also sonic fans

This obviously doesn't speak for every comic shop, but the ones I've been to have dedicated all-ages sections and virtually any comic shop will order whatever you want as long as you pay for it when it comes in. That and bookstores like Barnes and Noble will usually carry these in their magazine sections and the previous Archie collections (and probably IDW's) are often sorted in the kids' sections of the stores. Kids can and will find these books most of the time.

even with that in mind is there any real proof that kids like shadow butting heads with sonic just to be a dick and shout "I'm so much better than you sonic" when it doesn't really need to be stated at that moment

where did this idea that children like douchebag edgelords come from anyways?

I know Reggie can do amazing linework, but I wonder if maybe his style is a bit too stylised for an official product (I heard they can be picky about that stuff).

2 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

I know Reggie can do amazing linework, but I wonder if maybe his style is a bit too stylised for an official product (I heard they can be picky about that stuff).

i think Sega really shouldn't be too picky about the artwork otherwise they come off as massive dicks that can never truly be satisfied with the comics

i see nothing wrong with the artwork and i have seen bad artwork in my time reading comics

1 hour ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

I had Archie for nearly 15 years before I started paying for it myself; and I can assure you the comics industry wasn't any happier in the mid-late 90s than it is now.

5 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

New previews!

https://popculthq.com/2019/10/01/preview-idw-publishings-10-2-release-sonic-the-hedgehog-21/

They had 4 artists do the interiors, but it's lower quality art than the previous issues

Why is it "Low Quality"? You can just say you don't like Lamar's pencils. Personally I think they look pretty good. 

2 hours ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

even with that in mind is there any real proof that kids like shadow butting heads with sonic just to be a dick and shout "I'm so much better than you sonic" when it doesn't really need to be stated at that moment

While I dunno about the motivations part and i'll get to that in a second. They do like sonic and shadow fighting.

where did this idea that children like douchebag edgelords come from anyways?

Again the motivation part is varibale, but kids and people in general tend to like " edgelord " characters in general.

And while there is a chance there's children who prefer this , and I think its good healthy to acknowledge this could be the case  (there are a buncha kids who grew up with shadow with no context ) I don't think this is the motivation. The motivation is simplification. And that doesn't work for shadow because while he isn't the deepest character in the world, he requires...nuance. And that's just not what they want to do.

They want to change the characters to be more malleable and simpler, while also referencing older things. I personally think this will lead to failure. I think this is the result of sega teetering on a choice for the 3d era of sonic. Do they lean into nostalgia or do they just finally reboot/retcon/restructure everything. The fence sitting on this decision has caused a bunch of unfortunate destruction , and shadow' characterization is part of it.

i think Sega really shouldn't be too picky about the artwork otherwise they come off as massive dicks that can never truly be satisfied with the comics

i see nothing wrong with the artwork and i have seen bad artwork in my time reading comics

I would say I would like to see different art styles entirely in the comic, but I would imagine sega wants things to be on brand

6 hours ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

Looking at a few of the issues we've gotten, I think their standards are easy enough to satisfy. 

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Why is it "Low Quality"? You can just say you don't like Lamar's pencils. Personally I think they look pretty good. 

Maybe its the colors

47 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Maybe its the colors

I don't know I like Heather's colors. They're so vibrant. ...oh, no this is going to end up being the same argument with issue 3. Jennifer Hernandez is even one of the pencilers. 

Is this the first time Lamar Wells has done interiors? I rather enjoyed his covers for Archie especially when Gary Martin was inking his art. It's great to see him strut his stuff on the pages and I like what I'm seeing so far. The colors don't really do it for me either, but eh. EDIT: I'm remembering now he did most of the Origins stories for the Archie reboot. Kind of a shame he didn't get to do the main book or Universe.

20 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't know I like Heather's colors. They're so vibrant. ...oh, no this is going to end up being the same argument with issue 3. Jennifer Hernandez is even one of the pencilers. 

Hernandez was a penciler for the Annual and nobody was complaining then. Quit making a big deal out of people criticizing anything on this book.

• Thumbs Up 2

She was even a penciler for Archie too, and was really solid back then as well.

This issue DOES have some wonky art, but it's not Jen's.

So in this issue...

While veeeery close, Tails did not get infected. But he seems to have lost more or less everything in the process that could have helped him.

Looks like everyone bar Amy(?) got infected at Resistance HQ. We’ll find out hopefully later this month.

Spoiler

Not much happened in this one except for prolonging the story, but it set up the next issue nicely. Never expected Tails to turn, but I wonder what will stop the apocalypse if he won't be able to. Actually really looking forward to the showdown between Charmy and the Chaotix, seems like it will take a dark turn for them, Gemerl and Vanilla. If anyone's safe in there, it's Cream since she's drawing the map.

1 hour ago, Forgetful Panda said:

Did ABT draw that one page where

Hide contents

Tails bailed from the Tornado?

ABT didnt even draw this issue. The four artists were Lamar Wells, Pricilla Tranmontaro, Jennifer Hernandez and Reggie Graham.

Good issue… quite a lot seemed to happen aside from the main plotline, ironically.

Spoiler

I love how Tangle and Whisper are heroines, and some of the last standing fighters.

Tails got very close to the cure, uhm… but still the plot didn't really progress. Also close to being zombotified but that close call with the Cyclone was actually great!

Zavok and the Zeti are being introduced… interesting, already? Btw yeah, Starline really just got into a huge mess here, the Six have other agendas… 

And of course the Restoration is out of commission, I'm glad Amy is still here but the others? I fear mostly for Gemerl (destroyed I assume) and Rouge, Espio and Vanilla. Cream and Vector (who let Charmy into the HQ) are likely safe, and Silver is somewhere else. Those are my bets. Rouge I had already assumed would be a zombot by last issue, but it didn't happen… yet.

I'm interested in seeing what happened to… you know… in the next issue.

18 minutes ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

ABT didnt even draw this issue. The four artists were Lamar Wells, Pricilla Tranmontaro, Jennifer Hernandez and Reggie Graham.

Yes, but that one specific page looked like neither of their styles.

I really liked this issue, for several points.

Spoiler

- Even if the plot didn't really apparently advanced in that Tails didn't got the cure formula, it advanced in that Starline have contacted the D6, there is the deal with the Resistance HQ that we will know next issue, and Tails know how the Virus work (even if I think that their solution won't be a "find a cure" one).

- Ice Paradise from Sonic Advance (or Advance 2 ? IDK) is referenced, and we are in the Battle Central City. TBH, something a bit dumb that make me a lot happy is that with the "Classic ban", is that now Flynn make way more reference to Modern elements, like the Advance saga, the Babylon Rogue, the Cyclone, etc.

- The Deadly Six seems to really have their own agenda again, and I'm pretty sure that Starline have a plan and doesn't really think that the Zeti will simply take his offer (after all, he already have said that "six people are easier to control". I wonder what will be his plan, and if/how it'll backfire).

- Tails. Flynn really nailed how to make something good between the "Tails is afraid by scary things" cliche and that many fans want to see him be proactive… by doing both ! We see Tails being afraid a lot in this comics, being stressed by scarejump, nearly panic, having to reassure himself… but while being active, doing stuff, fighting. And that's I think the best way to handle him. Show him afraid (and I would say : maybe sometime to the point of being incapable to act, it would be pretty interesting sometimes), but show him try to act and do his best.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Forgetful Panda said:

I’m working on my lineart samples as we speak! 🤞

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1