Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Why do the Zeti have a castle? That kind of seems weird...and I guess since nothing's known about them it's not "unfitting" or whatever.

Sonic 3DBlast Flickies, excellente.

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Why do the Zeti have a castle? That kind of seems weird...and I guess since nothing's known about them it's not "unfitting" or whatever.

It's in the game

latest?cb=20131010215135

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

It's in the game

latest?cb=20131010215135

OOOH~~

That's neat. Now I actually can call it unfitting.

This just doesn't look like it would belong to them, it looks like it'd be Eggman's base.

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

OOOH~~

This just doesn't look like it would belong to them, it looks like it'd be Eggman's base.

Yeah that's his base and where he was imprisoning them

13 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

OOOH~~

It looks like a Bowser base. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Yeah that's his base and where he was imprisoning them

Major brainfart...I forgot all about it.

I'm suppose to be defending that game.

Well, I'd at least think they'd remodel it in their image, that would look cool.

Ya know what, it's freakin' because of every cutscene in the base being mostly in the shadows...I'd never associate those scenes with that.

Okay, so Issue 21. This issue is one of the ones that feels like it had a lot of stuff going on, but I sorta feel it didn't do the best job solidfying that?

Spoiler
  • Did someone say something about there being about four different pencilers? Because that would explain why the art was inconsistent, even on the same page. 
  • Things seemed to be jumping around quite a bit, especially during the beginning where Tails was just ringing up three different positions in order to establish what everyone was doing. 
    • For an issue about Tails analyzing the biology of the virus while being hounded by Zombot Cheese, there's actually very little of either. In fact, Tails leaving the lab for a page or two left more of an impact. Not sure how I feel about the way Tails' mission went ultimately.
    • Tangle and Whisper fighting Zombots was kinda eh aside from a bit of exposition. The former rube was also probably the biggest example of how the art can be wonky.
  • With that said, I think the idea of the plot was pretty solid. It just didn't quite come together. 
  • I had a laugh at SIlver's whereabouts. Talk about black comedy. 
  • As brief and a tad confusing as it was, I liked the scene with Zavok. Kinda interesting he seems to disapprove of what Eggman's done to the world or at least Zor likely getting a kick of it.
    • Zeti Castle," eh? You know, I can't help but think he knew exactly what he was doing there. 
  • Anyone else flashback to Countdown to Chaos when Tails bailed out?
  • Kinda felt the ending, while otherwise well parsed through the issue, was a bit of a mood crash. Again, I think it was the coloring and/or artwork.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are we going to go with the general assumption that they threw an extra few artists at this issue to get it out of the door? That would explain the delay on this issue, but not the entire pipeline....

Also, I like how this issue takes place concurrently with the next one.

9 hours ago, LukA8 said:
  Hide contents

Not much happened in this one except for prolonging the story, but it set up the next issue nicely. Never expected Tails to turn, but I wonder what will stop the apocalypse if he won't be able to. Actually really looking forward to the showdown between Charmy and the Chaotix, seems like it will take a dark turn for them, Gemerl and Vanilla. If anyone's safe in there, it's Cream since she's drawing the map.

Oops, I forgot about that!

8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Good issue… quite a lot seemed to happen aside from the main plotline, ironically.

Yeah, pretty much.

Spoiler

Zavok and the Zeti are being introduced… interesting, already? Btw yeah, Starline really just got into a huge mess here, the Six have other agendas… 

Spoiler

Admittedly, I was expecting something like the Halloween fest issue.

8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

Cream and Vector (who let Charmy into the HQ) are likely safe, and Silver is somewhere else. Those are my bets. Rouge I had already assumed would be a zombot by last issue, but it didn't happen… yet.

Uh, wait, what?

6 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

I really liked this issue, for several points.

Hide contents

- Ice Paradise from Sonic Advance (or Advance 2 ? IDK) is referenced, and we are in the Battle Central City. TBH, something a bit dumb that make me a lot happy is that with the "Classic ban", is that now Flynn make way more reference to Modern elements, like the Advance saga, the Babylon Rogue, the Cyclone, etc.

Oh, so it is a game thing?

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

It's in the game

latest?cb=20131010215135

Yeah, what Marco said.

Which is funny cause it looks like a goddamn concentration center here! 

OOOH~~

Yeah, I was thinking that myself, but screw it.

Although Zor does specifically mention the Eggnet at one point.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

It looks like a Bowser base. 

Yeah, I think that's the joke they're going for.

Which isn't necessarily helpful, but hey.

Major brainfart...I forgot all about it.

I'm suppose to be defending that game.

Well, I'd at least think they'd remodel it in their image, that would look cool.

Ya know what, it's freakin' because of every cutscene in the base being mostly in the shadows...I'd never associate those scenes with that.

Understandable.

I just got Issue 21.

I continue to remain practically in romantic love with the plot and the scenario my favorite characters in fiction are being put through. On the surface it sounds sick but I really do get a kick out of seeing characters I love suffer so much. 

The thing that really hits home for me is how scary and claustrophobic the atmosphere HAS to feel for Tails here. The whole time I'm imagining this being me. I'm in a house, zombies are outside and they're the kind that can turn you literally just from a SINGLE touch... and you have to make sure you don't get spotted.

Now, imagine coming to the conclusion of "Oh shit... in order for this to work I'm going to need to voluntarily step the fuck outside..." The little panel where he opens the door and takes a peak outside and then hurries himself onto the roof and then nearly has a heart attack when he sees the infected flickies fly over head. I was just saying "Come on, come on~!" alongside him when he was sucking that gunk up. Situations like this really get my heart going. I had to do that thing where I had to make sure my eyes didn't accidently travel to the second page and catch sight of a possible game over for Tails.

It's hard to explain. You know that feeling that someone is looking for you in a game of hide and seek and you see home base but you know that if you run for it, you might be spotted... and also, your shoe is untied or your shirt is stuck on a branch or something. The gymnastics your heart does when you're trying to finish something in a dangerous area so you can hurry back inside is something that gets the blood flowing for me. I felt it with Tails here.

Also, his portrayal is spot on. A genuinely well-established threat is scaring the poor kid but he still attempts to work himself through it when the going gets tough. It's adorable seeing him jump when he hears a loud crash and QUICKLY click on the mouse to check what's going on outside only to see a Zombot trip over a garbage can. Its amazing he managed to work through that. I felt like I was there.

Then, you know, his work gets destroyed and he comes out with literal guns blazing, super pissed but also super distraught. Time will tell as to whether or not it amounted to nothing but the sense of dread coupled with Amy's terrible news on top of that at the end just makes things feel even worse. So much was riding on this and Tails can't even blame the people who caused it to go wrong.

On the flip side, you've got the Zeti who are adding an interesting third wheel into the story, it would seem. I'm always fond of multiple groups with their own agendas working against one another. It leads to a nice chaotic salad of multiple interests and ideals clashing to create something hectic. Organized chaos is a very alluring thing to me. I enjoy it quite a bit and I can't wait to see what the Zeti add to this.

Aside from that we got some Tangle, Whisper, and Silver doing stuff. Nothing major but it added needed context to the situation. While it would have been more scary had Tails been stuck there alone, with so many of the main cast left uninfected (at least at the time) it probably wouldn't have made much sense. If Tails has to try something similar again he's got no Freedom HQ or house in Central City to do it in now which... yeesh. 

Also, Sonic only shows up in one panel. So that's neat.

So many iconic machines are getting destroyed though. First Omega's body and now the Cyclone. Also, Tails' lab in Central City is gone and apparently, the HQ from Forces got destroyed too (although I'm less sad about that one).

Oh shit. What about Omega? Did he get rebuilt in time...? Probably not. Dammit.

Augh. I want next issue now!

One last thing, thank goodness the comic shop had Cover B. I don't know what they were going for with Cover A but it looks oddly unfinished. It's strange.

• Thumbs Up 3

28 minutes ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

One last thing, thank goodness the comic shop had Cover B. I don't know what they were going for with Cover A but it looks oddly unfinished. It's strange.

That's what I was thinking. The B cover was so much better than the A cover, I don't know what made them think to not go with it instead.

4 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Deadly Six? Really?

Ian was probably looking for a chance to use them since he never got to do his Lost World adaptation in Archie and they're like the only game characters he's never written outside of Worlds Unite.

Although since Ian said this arc was going to be the next big saga in Archie, and Archie was building toward Lost World anyway, maybe this was the plan all along.

1 minute ago, Heckboy said:

Ian was probably looking for a chance to use them since he never got to do his Lost World adaptation in Archie and they're like the only game characters he's never written outside of Worlds Unite.

And the Halloween prequel.

Here's some Inktober art from Tracy Yardley

EF1eKtHWwAIfHXg?format=jpg&name=small

Inktober 10/1 “Ring”
I definitely will NOT do one of these every day, but I figured I’d start things off with the un-ironically greatest Sonic character

• Thumbs Up 1

So was the whole "Zavok left the deadly six" thing just a weird mistranslation like Eggman being a feminist? Because Sega isn't really cracking down on that one. 

Is it weird I'd have rather seen Tails work on the science or at least pseudo-science of the virus than just checking in with everyone? I feel like when that happened, basically nothing moved. So we just had panels of him just sitting there asking about everyone else.....when that's what later parts are gonna be about...seems like a waste of space. Even more shocking is a Sonic issue with only one panel of Sonic...that is bizarre.

Overall an alright issue which really only took off towards the middle/end where Tails had to sneak to get a sample, as well as avoid being seen. Really liked the expressions of just close to being discovered but then not. Though the latter kinda...falters. We don't really get to build up how hard finding this cure was and what work it took in a significant amount to really care deeply. It doesn't feel as devastating as it should. I felt more for the Tornado's destruction....and even that went too quickly to really have a big impact. Just cause my foxy boy tears up that doesn't make up for lack of engagement on those ends.

Speaking of which I thought for some reason there was a no crying rule, but then remember I think that's Sonic only. Either way it's a beautiful emotion to see. I just hate how it doesn't feel properly earned. The cure gathering should have been spread out briefly as part of other issues and then end here with the dramatic catastrophe. I don't feel the big loss for the cure I should. I think we shoulda had Tails trying more to save the tornado as it slowly was torn apart to make it all the more heart wrenching than just that quickly. Again I feel a lot of these changes could have fit if we didn't divide this issue so much. I feel it just weakened the issue entirely from being great to just....ok...

Issue 21

I have slightly mixed thoughts on iy, but one thing I'm sure: it would been better if we cut most non-Tails scenes.

Basically this is issue about Tails being all alone in infected city "I am Legend" style and working on the cure. This should be intense, nerve-wrecking time of freaky isolation. Every interaction with other characters wounds that atmosphere.
Sonic and Amy first scene are easily cut, unless some mandates say blue pest is required.
Tangle & Whisper should be only at start and the end. The most interesting thing they do is Tangle hairdo once she jumps out of the pole. That's a good look for her.
Starline... well that scene in necessary evil and put in best possible moment. And about castle talk, this IS Eggman's base, they just took it over. Nice little touch with logo on the chair. (Or maybe it was theirs before and Eggman just change interior a little. Why not. We know so little about Zeti Culture, the castle seems to work fine.)

So yeah, I do feel we could save few pages to actually show Tails do science or something/ And art is slightly jumpy, first page characters strangely pop-out from the environment, like they photoshoped or something.  But with al said and done the last part is dramatic, emotional and overall great.

11 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Are we going to go with the general assumption that they threw an extra few artists at this issue to get it out of the door? That would explain the delay on this issue, but not the entire pipeline....

Yes, correct me if I'm wrong but Yardley was supposed to do the art but he left for a while for family issues so… that explains the delay and multiple artists.

Also, yep, agree with the Tails writing appreciation, he's really scared but tries to be brave and active, that is adorable, reminds me of Cream.

The destruction of the Cyclone tbh reminded me of various scenes from Sonic Boom the show.