Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

It was ok. Wasn't as fun as some of the better issues. Wasn't as bad as that shadow issue.

Just.... eh. It was fine

Someone mentioned crying mandates, I don't think its crying itself but level of crying and who it applies to and the time. Like tails can cry because he's a kid and supposed to be scared. And on the opposite end of that, I don't think shadow is allowed to feel any emotion at this point besides unbridled rage , so you know. Depends on who you are dealing with

6 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

So was the whole "Zavok left the deadly six" thing just a weird mistranslation like Eggman being a feminist? Because Sega isn't really cracking down on that one. 

Yeah, that's part of what I meant when I said that scene was confusing. Mr. Flynn commented that he thought they'd be off limits, but they're not. Like personally, Zavok still having connections with the other five is not a problem at all and before that manual came up, I just assumed he was operating on his own more in lieu of bringing the entire group. 

Though them seemingly being willing to so casually work with Eggman again is still the weirder part. 

5 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Is it weird I'd have rather seen Tails work on the science or at least pseudo-science of the virus than just checking in with everyone? I feel like when that happened, basically nothing moved. So we just had panels of him just sitting there asking about everyone else.....when that's what later parts are gonna be about...seems like a waste of space. 

That's sorta my thought. 

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

The most interesting thing they do is Tangle hairdo once she jumps out of the pole. That's a good look for her.

Eh, idk, she was honestly off model in that regard for most of the issue.

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Starline... well that scene in necessary evil and put in best possible moment. And about castle talk, this IS Eggman's base, they just took it over. Nice little touch with logo on the chair. (Or maybe it was theirs before and Eggman just change interior a little. Why not. We know so little about Zeti Culture, the castle seems to work fine.)

Logo? 

But it's most likely at least partially built by Eggman given that the satellite dish is likely what they were using to watch the Extractor operate and Sonic's progress. 

3 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Also, yep, agree with the Tails writing appreciation, he's really scared but tries to be brave and active, that is adorable, reminds me of Cream.

They do have the same general temperaments. 

3 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

The destruction of the Cyclone tbh reminded me of various scenes from Sonic Boom the show.

Oh? 

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

It was ok. Wasn't as fun as some of the better issues. Wasn't as bad as that shadow issue.

Just.... eh. It was fine

Someone mentioned crying mandates, I don't think its crying itself but level of crying and who it applies to and the time. Like tails can cry because he's a kid and supposed to be scared. And on the opposite end of that, I don't think shadow is allowed to feel any emotion at this point besides unbridled rage , so you know. Depends on who you are dealing with

In other words, character centric. 

On 9/1/2019 at 2:55 PM, lulzers said:

Sega owns TMS. It wouldn't make sense for them to not be able to use characters originating from Sonic X. That would be like if Disney was still unable to use the X-Men and Fantastic Four in the Marvel Cinematic Universe despite having purchased 20th Century Fox. From what I've seen, it's a baseless rumor started by the Archie Sonic Wiki and TV Tropes. (Which they've corrected long ago) Based on official statements from Ian Flynn, the reason why characters from Sonic Underground, the OVA and X never appeared in the Archie comics was due to Sega not allowing it. Since they were, in Ian's own words, not keen on giving attention to any past iterations of the franchise.

Though since he's stated that he has more creative freedom with IDW, that may change.

Coming back to this, wasn't rights issues the reason the Sonic X comic would be hard to reprint?

1 hour ago, Zulon Eredas said:

Yea! The Cyclone...and it's gone.

It lived a good life...for those 3-4 pages.

Well, at least Tails certainly thought so.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:02 AM, thumbs13 said:

So was the whole "Zavok left the deadly six" thing just a weird mistranslation like Eggman being a feminist? Because Sega isn't really cracking down on that one. 

They might just not care. It's not like they haven't gone back on things that were established or talked about before. I have no problem believing that "left the Deadly Six" was intentionally put there only for it to immediately be reversed because why not?

Then again, they could have just meant "he left" as in, "he went to the racetrack". 

Zavok: I'm leaving.

Zor: Forever?

Zavok: What? No. I'm going to Target. We're out of toilet paper.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

It wouldn't be the first time some questionable stuff made it through to the games manual/info dumps.

Sonic Runners is full of them.  For example it says Blaze was "once" the guardian of the Sol Emeralds. I wasn't aware that she stopped being their guardian lol

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It wouldn't be the first time some questionable stuff made it through to the games manual/info dumps.

Sonic Runners is full of them.  For example it says Blaze was "once" the guardian of the Sol Emeralds. I wasn't aware that she stopped being their guardian lol

Was she still explicitly protecting them in Rush Adventure? 

7 hours ago, lulzers said:

Never found anything regarding rights issues. From what I've seen, it's more like Sega wanted X dead and buried.

I thought it was about it having a bunch of different rights holders (TMS, Discotek, etc.)

If it was about burying it, they’re doing it wrong.

Yeah, and series DVDs were released for the 90s shows way after the fact. Doesn't mean SEGA themselves don't want to bury it. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

They might just not care. It's not like they haven't gone back on things that were established or talked about before. I have no problem believing that "left the Deadly Six" was intentionally put there only for it to immediately be reversed because why not?

Then again, they could have just meant "he left" as in, "he went to the racetrack". 

Zavok: I'm leaving?

Zor: Forever?

Zavok: What? No. I'm going to Target. We're out of toilet paper.

Fair point.

Like, I know that the obvious assumption many go with for his recurring status is that someone at SEGA really likes him and wants him to be an established part of the franchise, but then you have details like that and how most of his reappearances barely focus on him so much as use him to fill in a convenient quota.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Fair point.

Like, I know that the obvious assumption many go with for his recurring status is that someone at SEGA really likes him and wants him to be an established part of the franchise, but then you have details like that and how most of his reappearances barely focus on him so much as use him to fill in a convenient quota.

I wonder if that person knows no one likes him

38 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I wonder if that person knows no one likes him

I think you're better off wondering if they care.

But probably not.

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I think you're better off wondering if they care.

But probably not.

I have considered that, but knowing who we are dealing with they may not know and not actually find out until years later because they never listened

On the care note though, I dont think that works our for too long.

On 10/3/2019 at 4:14 AM, DabigRG said:

Though them seemingly being willing to so casually work with Eggman again is still the weirder part.

I mean...literally right after Starline left:

3SA62xA.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Figured it but yep, IDW Sonic isn't going anywhere, and the enthusiasm is well deserved IMO.

• Thumbs Up 5

20 minutes ago, Celestia said:

I mean...literally right after Starline left:

3SA62xA.png

I know, it's just how smooth the conversation went that threw me off for a sec.

I'm assuming we'll get a scene where Eggman raises a serious eyebrow in Starline's direction.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Read 21 earlier and I hope we get to see a version of the Zeti that we should have got in Lost World.

So remember how Ian Flynn said that he's pitched an idea for another miniseries?

Apparently another one is in the works, but no details were given:

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

So remember how Ian Flynn said that he's pitched an idea for another miniseries?

Apparently another one is in the works, but no details were given:

Maybe a Chaotix miniseries, or Silver & Blaze, or Knuckles (even if him alone, would be unlikely because you know who), or Team Dark...

Ick not another Knuckles or Shadow/Team Dark Mini series. They dominated Sonic Universe. I'd take anyone else. Whether Tails, Blaze, Eggman, Starline, Team Rose or Amy & Cream, Rough & Tumble, Babylon Rogues, hell I'd even take an Infinite mini series if he was allowed. Just anything but them again even if it is a new continuity. I think the only thing I wouldn't take over that is Deadly Shits mini series considering my heavy dislike of them.

Or we can have mini series that have bizarre pairings that change everything up. Like Shadow & Tails or Cream. Omega, Gemerl, and Cream. Rouge and Tangle. Sonic and Starline. Knuckles and Silver. Something like that I think would be neat. Just throwing together contrasting or similar but not really delved into pairings to give something new.

So I guess this is new model. Instead of Sonic Universe well get miniseries, after miniseries. I know MLP does that for over a year now and I think TMNT does too.

Personally I want Shadow to be next, preferably with someone else that Omega and Rouge. I know, Shadow already gets too much, but I want him for once to unquestionably shine. But  you know, as long as we'll get more side-cast stories, I'm happy. They could announce Storm/Zomom team up and I would eat it up.