Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Fair point.

Like, I know that the obvious assumption many go with for his recurring status is that someone at SEGA really likes him and wants him to be an established part of the franchise, but then you have details like that and how most of his reappearances barely focus on him so much as use him to fill in a convenient quota.

I wonder if that person knows no one likes him

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I think you're better off wondering if they care.

But probably not.

I have considered that, but knowing who we are dealing with they may not know and not actually find out until years later because they never listened

On the care note though, I dont think that works our for too long.

9 hours ago, Forgetful Panda said:

I thought it was about it having a bunch of different rights holders (TMS, Discotek, etc.)

If it was about burying it, they’re doing it wrong.

Like I said, couldn't find any evidence supporting that claim. (Other than a bunch of unfounded rumors on TV Tropes)

4 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

So remember how Ian Flynn said that he's pitched an idea for another miniseries?

Apparently another one is in the works, but no details were given:

Maybe a Chaotix miniseries, or Silver & Blaze, or Knuckles (even if him alone, would be unlikely because you know who), or Team Dark...

Ick not another Knuckles or Shadow/Team Dark Mini series. They dominated Sonic Universe. I'd take anyone else. Whether Tails, Blaze, Eggman, Starline, Team Rose or Amy & Cream, Rough & Tumble, Babylon Rogues, hell I'd even take an Infinite mini series if he was allowed. Just anything but them again even if it is a new continuity. I think the only thing I wouldn't take over that is Deadly Shits mini series considering my heavy dislike of them.

Or we can have mini series that have bizarre pairings that change everything up. Like Shadow & Tails or Cream. Omega, Gemerl, and Cream. Rouge and Tangle. Sonic and Starline. Knuckles and Silver. Something like that I think would be neat. Just throwing together contrasting or similar but not really delved into pairings to give something new.

So I guess this is new model. Instead of Sonic Universe well get miniseries, after miniseries. I know MLP does that for over a year now and I think TMNT does too.

Personally I want Shadow to be next, preferably with someone else that Omega and Rouge. I know, Shadow already gets too much, but I want him for once to unquestionably shine. But  you know, as long as we'll get more side-cast stories, I'm happy. They could announce Storm/Zomom team up and I would eat it up.

On 10/4/2019 at 4:03 PM, Eurisko said:

Read 21 earlier and I hope we get to see a version of the Zeti that we should have got in Lost World.

In what sense?

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Maybe a Chaotix miniseries, or Silver & Blaze, or Knuckles (even if him alone, would be unlikely because you know who), or Team Dark...

Those are the obvious ones, though Silver and Blaze haven't really been done.

3 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

Ick not another Knuckles or Shadow/Team Dark Mini series. They dominated Sonic Universe. I'd take anyone else. Whether Tails, Blaze, Eggman, Starline, Team Rose or Amy & Cream, Rough & Tumble, Babylon Rogues, hell I'd even take an Infinite mini series if he was allowed. Just anything but them again even if it is a new continuity. I think the only thing I wouldn't take over that is Deadly Shits mini series considering my heavy dislike of them.

Or we can have mini series that have bizarre pairings that change everything up. Like Shadow & Tails or Cream. Omega, Gemerl, and Cream. Rouge and Tangle. Sonic and Starline. Knuckles and Silver. Something like that I think would be neat. Just throwing together contrasting or similar but not really delved into pairings to give something new.

Huh. You know what, that would be a cool idea. We briefly got tastes of those in Universe as well, but I don't think we got full stories aside from Knuckles and Shadow(which they arguably overdid). 

2 hours ago, Dr Egg-Gin said:

It'll probably be team Dark. 

Unfortunately. I suppose that's the only way to really improve Shadow right now. 

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So I guess this is new model. Instead of Sonic Universe well get miniseries, after miniseries. I know MLP does that for over a year now and I think TMNT does too.

That's what I figure. And they don't have to be confined to 4 issues. They can effectively be as long as short as they want it to be depending on how things do. And relatively isolated depending

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Fingers crossed for a Shadow or Blaze miniseries.

It will never happen, but when said that Imagined it being in the style of a Miami vice or like crime drama show . And they are wearing crazy suits with shades

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Unfortunately. I suppose that's the only way to really improve Shadow right now. 

Eh? Sega's mandates regarding the series in general right now are confusing. And i'm not one to defend a giant corporation, what happened to shadow I feel like was a combo effort. Sega has perimeters, they didn't make Ian Flynn write the scenario's he did and to be blunt I feel like other writers could have pulled it off. It is a criticism I have had of flynn for years, but one of his biggest flaws is his inability to sort of let go of story ideas. Even if he is told by the higher ups something isn't bueno, he's just go on with an altered version of it that may not actually work.

I feel like he can make this shadow work, if he would be willing to sometimes just kind of give up on forcing the overarching narrative if its failing the characters on an individual level. If something doesn't work throw it out and work on something that works on an individual level.

But if we are considering he just doesn't want to do that, I guess thats the only way to make him work. Though if i'm being honest, the lack of adaptability is a failure on his part

Any writer (or anyone planning anything really) can tell you that letting go of story ideas is a bad idea. You never know when they might turn out useful—hence the Metal Virus arc that was supposed to be used for Archie.

If an idea doesn’t work, you find out why it didn’t work and make steps to improve it or find alternatives. It’s no different from the Scientific Method—you never know when it actually will work sometime in the future when holding on to notes could be handy.

11 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Any writer (or anyone planning anything really) can tell you that letting go of story ideas is a bad idea. You never know when they might turn out useful—hence the Metal Virus arc that was supposed to be used for Archie.

If an idea doesn’t work, you find out why it didn’t work and make steps to improve it or find alternatives. It’s no different from the Scientific Method—you never know when it actually will work sometime in the future when holding on to notes could be handy.

Letting go of story ideas doesn't mean letting it go forever or not understanding why it isn't working. Its coming to the conclusion it isn't working now and moving on and possibly using it later. I never said " don't think about it ever again " I just said let it go for now. Along with that...writers let go of story ideas all the time? People working in creative fields let go of premises all the time, it happens often in say video games. Also people let go of ideas often in comic books? Like...very often. Like the wildly changing nature of capebooks is a meme.

They don't stop thinking about it forever. But they go " Oh hey thor on film isn't working as a serious character right now , what about if we let that go and make him a giant goofball " and then it works. Sometimes things work better when you let go of the preconceived notion you approached the idea with, and then come at it from a different angle. Maybe one day we can come back to serious thor  , but for now. This works because they let that go.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

In what sense?

In the sense that they can come of as a legitimate threat rather than comedic , and lets face it after Lost World, Forces and Team Sonic Racing Zavok in particular could do with some credibility.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Huh. You know what, that would be a cool idea. We briefly got tastes of those in Universe as well, but I don't think we got full stories aside from Knuckles and Shadow(which they arguably overdid).

Which is why I really don't want yet another do over of past sins. Do we honestly need to retread water we already covered...again...so soon. There's plenty else to cover before we do that.