Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

6 most commonly sometimes 7. I don't usually feel like my time is wasted, but I don't usually feel it's well rewarded either. But it's more rewarded than wasted so it's around the average comic. 

I think that my chief beef with the arc now is that it's lost a lot of it's teeth.

Like, early on we were getting all sorts of fucked up imagery. Like, Zombot gore and children being ripped from the arms of their parents. Then Ian was hyping up Omega showing up, and what it was going to do with the zombots, and... Not much is there.

I wonder if SEGA/IDW saw the strong reactions people were having to #14 and #15, and then told them to dial it down. Which would be a shame.

The art in general these past couple issues has been really weak, and that just seems to be down to Tracey Yardley! taking a hiatus from the comic. It's not that these artists are even bad, but I think they're under a lot of pressure because Yardley! left and Evan Stanley is laser focusing on Tangle and Whisper, so that's two of the most important artists for the comic that aren't available to be working on the mainline issues. This past issue had a crazy amount of artists on it, and the art was kind of all over the place as a result.

Maybe when Evan Stanley can start working on the mainline issues again, things can stabilize a bit, but I hope that there can be a bit more manpower for by the time this supposed next miniseries hits.

Overall, I don't think the Zombot arc is particularly bad, but it is starting to falter now which is unfortunate considering how strong it started. This isn't quite the kid-friendly Walking Dead that we were promised early on.

7 hours ago, Rouge_Witchy said:

from 1-10 what do you rate the idw run so far?

Scale 1-10 is a complete joke as eveything above 1 and below 5 is basically never used, And if some does, then what's the point? 20%, 40%, both mean "bad story, don't touch"

I prefer 1-6, it's all very clear

1: Zero redeming qualities or something actually offensive, damaging

2 Bad, but begrudenly you can say something nice about it. Or it's just reeeeally generic and boring

3 Time killer. Something you don't need to see, but I won't hurt either. Or "I see how others might like it"

4 Plain good. Glad I saw/read/play it but that's it.

5 Really good. I reccomend it, I might rewatch it the future, I hope for the sequel, I consider  myself a fan etc.

6 NOT PERFECTION. There is no such thing and expecting it is recipe for dissapointmet. With that said, it does something on exceptional level. Most likely it moved you on emotional level.

And don;t tell me that smaller scale can't express fully your opinion. No review can be boiled down to the numer. 

With that said, my opinion for IDW is a very confident 4 (or 7 for you barbarians out there),  with acknowlegment that it's precious to me much more, just because it's Sonic.

Putting my love for franchise aside, it's just good. It has action, comedy, art. and characters, but it almost never tries to engage you on a higher level. I'm rarely surprised, moved or supre duper hyped. More often I'm kinda dissapointed with low stakes and slow pace.

Now, was Archie Better? Reboot yes, but only thanks to Sonic Universe. Main book could get a little samey, actually a little worse than IDW.
With Preboot, I THINK Flynn's run was way better, but I read almost whole thing in 3-4 months and Reboot/IDW I read in normal issue-per-month way, so I have drastically different expiriences.

And if you wonder what I consider exceptional comic, I HIGHLY reccomend James Roberts  IDW Transformers writer of in "More than Meets the Eye" and "Lost Light" books. Every single packed tons of things happening, you could laugh, cry and be suprised in a same issue. It's the best thing this franchise ever made, even better than "Prime" or "Beast Wars". (I'm sorry Dinobot).

Something out there that briefly crossed my mind came up on Reddit.

Some extra weirdness not withstanding.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:28 PM, Rouge_Witchy said:

Eh, a 7 is good.

It has some neat moments in places, but it's only seldom actually done much to really grab what it's working it. The variable handling of the characters is the obvious indication of that.

Why the previews? Are these issues out next week? I thought they were gonna be released in 2 weeks...

Anyway, I want to recap various problems I have with the Metal Virus saga, it's definitely good and while it feels more dangerous, darker, bigger than season 1, I still think I enjoyed season 1 more, it was more simple and basic, yeah, but actually pretty fun? Battle for Angel Island was quite crazy and awesome, but it's not just that, I loved issues 5-8 too and I felt like more could have been done with that storyline, but yes, interactions, strategy, epic character moments, (short lived) badass fights, unexpected transformations, twists, new and connected threats to introduce us to season 2. It's why I loved that arc, even the first 4 issues were okay even though very slow.

Now my problems with season 2, it tries to do a lot of things but loses its way and the premise doesn't progress at all, the virus simply spreads over the world, in various zones, making it more dangerous, and that's good but...

1. There is basically censorship here, as noted by others, there was a unique trait of the Zombots, they were damageable and elastic, what happened to that? Now they are just boring random hordes of mindless zombies...

2. The whole Shadow messy situation: while I enjoy his stubborn attitude, his differences from Sonic, it just felt rushed... and not the way (apparently) Ian wanted it to go. I never expected Shadow to make a selfless sacrifice, but do something maybe? I don't know at this point. Even Zombot Shadow could have been given more... give him more skills, powers, maybe a bit of consciousness, rage, evilness... instead we got, another mindless Zombot. 

3. Lack of Knuckles: He's supposed to be one of the main characters, what happened to that? I get it, he's not leader material, but this is a world level crisis, why doesn't he show up? This has more to do with Ian's thinking, I assume. Also, to the fans of the character: "he should be doing his guardian duty on Angel Island" okay? But... wait, you are fans of Knuckles, why do you want him to be in off-screen land for a whole year? I feel like if there's a character who wouldn't have a minor role here, it's him.

4. Lack of Sticks: this is personal, I'm biased as I loved her. But... She's just made for this arc, that's her whole purpose, to fight in case of zombie robot apocalypse. If Sega thinks she's done along with Boom, I understand, but this is what I call a huge missed opportunity.

5. Silver and Dr. Starline: IMO more should be done with them to justify their presence, it was supposed to be quite a big arc for Silver, as he predicted this future in issue 8, his possible conflict with Starline, the bewly introduced villain, but again, they are not doing much, are they? Many things should be fleshed out more in this arc.

6. In general, more of how the Metal Virus works; it's really lacking and base, vague. Same for the cure Tails was working on.

So yep, this saga feels like it's rushed, not fleshed out enough and with several limitations/restrictions, important characters missing, lack of screentime, while for example, some characters are present that I personally would not have included, like Shadow, Rouge, Vector, Charmy, Espio, Whisper, it feels like it added some characters for the sake of it. But this is just my personal preference maybe. I don't know how Ian can work with a of this crap honestly. Tangle & Whisper surely works better because it's an OC story. Sorry to say that.

3 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Preview pages from the next issue.

Spoiler

I want some Sonic shaped cookies now

Also, I'll keep that map in mind...

2 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

Tangle Whisper 3 previews too:

Hide contents

cdb24af0c2167c6d3b721638ac542e39e027a92143d80ca2e698a36f026783c949761159968bbcf85288dbef1f014bd849348d50f2a658ca9fbe7884

Whisper is so cute in that photo! Also calling it now, those Wisps Whisper has, each of them were with one member initially until the members were killed.

EDIT: NVM The photo already shows this

Spoiler

The Diamond Cutters and their Wispons look awesome!

5 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Preview pages from the next issue.

Aaah...

Time for a Sesame Street Pattern!

Spoiler

image.png.bfb28137fa0459d7861607ea3be11d08.pngimage.png.df30c00d31bb61472e56312b060c0f4e.pngimage.png.f2a539d5604c24033d8b31aaf042d9bc.png

(Bonus points: two are on the same page)

5 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

Tangle Whisper 3 previews too:

Hide contents

cdb24af0c2167c6d3b721638ac542e39e027a92143d80ca2e698a36f026783c949761159968bbcf85288dbef1f014bd849348d50f2a658ca9fbe7884

Whisper is so cute in that photo! Also calling it now, those Wisps Whisper has, each of them were with one member initially until the members were killed.

EDIT: NVM The photo already shows this

Aaand Tangle is a bit of a whiplash.

Spoiler

Anyway, Anti-Eggman Mercenary Squad? How oddly specific.

I'm wondering why/if the panels weren't from each team member's perspective instead of mainly Smithy.

"Clair Voyance"

I was kinda wondering if they were going for a TF2 setup at first(speaking as someone who doesn't know much about it).

Also, yes, Whisper does look odd with her eyes open. Like the details with her textbox though.

2 hours ago, Forgetful Panda said:

CDEE5-FF1-F1-D7-4539-9511-F1-BB9438-C1-E

...I’m sorry.

Also, this is another artist that doesn’t look familiar. Anyone know who it is.

Yeah, I was sorta tempted to do something with that panel.  

Not in that sense though. :persevere:

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Wow, Cream the Rabbit is really short for some reason...

Or Amy Rose is just taller.

Proportionally speaking, it sorta makes sense.

27 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Do the Diamond Cutter's Wispons remind anyone of the Splatoon series weapons?

Somewhat.

5 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

3. Lack of Knuckles: He's supposed to be one of the main characters, what happened to that? I get it, he's not leader material, but this is a world level crisis, why doesn't he show up? This has more to do with Ian's thinking, I assume. Also, to the fans of the character: "he should be doing his guardian duty on Angel Island" okay? But... wait, you are fans of Knuckles, why do you want him to be in off-screen land for a whole year? I feel like if there's a character who wouldn't have a minor role here, it's him.

I'm still putting my money on the next story point being the world falling, and Sonic and co having to retreat to Angel Island as a result. I mentioned it months ago, but I'll say it again, especially now since we know Resistance HQ will fall this issue, with no other place to go, the remaining survivors are brought to Angel Island as the world below continues to be more and more infected. This gets Knuckles involved.

Me personally, I'm really hoping they don't try to turn Knuckles. We've already had tons of Sonic VS Knuckles stories, and the zombot Shadow fight wasn't exactly thrilling. I would've rather had Shadow stick about for the story instead of turn, and it's the same case with Knuckles. Shadow's turn didn't add much of anything, and just led to him looking bad ultimately. It'd suck to have Sonic's other rival character turn into a zombot just so you could retread "Sonic fights with rivals" stuff. Plus, part of me would actively love Team Sonic together and trying to pull a last stand to protect the survivors or something, but that's veering a lot into hypothetical now.

Also since Knuckles is a brawler/physical fighter, leaving him at a severe disadvantage against the Zombots, I think it'd be more interesting if he ended up using the traps hidden around Angel Island to lure and take down zombots when the eventual assault occurs. 

On 10/8/2019 at 10:28 PM, Rouge_Witchy said:

It’s basically Archie-lite.

Which isn’t bad because we have the same writer that knows how to write these characters. It basically the kind of writing the games should be having, so while it’s not much of a rating it is a testament to how decent it is despite it now being required to carry the nonsense the previous comic avoided like the plague during Ian’s run.

24 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Which isn’t bad because we have the same writer that knows how to write these characters. It basically the kind of writing the games should be having, so while it’s not much of a rating it is a testament to how decent it is despite it now being required to carry the nonsense the previous comic avoided like the plague during Ian’s run.

Yeah, I generally avoid playing into it, but I do feel like some of the issues I've had here are partly a product of either lacking or underselling the sorta stuff that Archie did. 

The other issues primarily derive from drawing from Forces to similar, if slightly greater effect. 

9 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Ehh, sorry but no. Besides the fact that even the writer stated he's using a vastly different approach, I can tell by… the actual book. How are Archie and IDW even similar? Same team (mostly) working on it, but I'm talking about the book, the tone, the stories, the details, the cast, the writing and narrative techniques. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only writer around here, there are various in the fandom, but I recognize writing differences when I see them, and eventually, bad writing (in general).

So why is it Archie-lite (without the Freedom Fighters I assume)? There is a more simple approach, no huge fanservice and obscure stuff for the most part, it's targeted to kids and teens, people who play the games, unlike Archie it doesn't try to connect the Whole timeline of games, it has more restrictions due to them working closely with SEGA this time, like no past, no classics apparently, a really smaller cast, they only introduced 5 new entries in the main comic, in season 2 literally no one, they are slowly introducing more game characters though. Shorter arcs, simpler stories, no baggage like in the Archie comic, no heavy history and complicated stuff, no romance, no over abundance of the cast, no excessive world building in every issue, shorter arcs… call them rushed but at least they don't last over 3 years.

Archie was literally a book of excesses, like… too much. This is simple, basic storytelling for simple fans.

Also, one more thing, I feel like the Forces premise and environment, backstory, really helps the book, while I think that reducing it to one game really limits the comic, it's also true that Forces was like… a Pandora box of opportunities, the game wasted them, now instead of having a retelling, we're getting new stories with that genre, which is really the best opportunity, and the new stories are great.

In hindsight, I think starting right away with Forces was jumping the gun or at least that combined with a zombie apocalypse right after. They should have had an introductory bit first when things were calmer, because right now most of the characters haven't really had a chance to show their more regular selves, and may have to wait even longer if they become Zombots.