Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Record scratch

Oh wow they are just retconning forces

Shoutouts to shadow the hedgehog ( game references) . Also I guess that's how they do that, kind of a cop out but there's one more issue.

But uh retcons huh

2 hours ago, Dr Egg-Gin said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ah, it's surprising and nice to see Vector and Espio unified in their dumbassery.

You know, bad things happening to characters and things not going their way isn't dumbassery right?

55 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

You know, bad things happening to characters and things not going their way isn't dumbassery right?

The way the sequence of events played out it's 50% their fault.

So, it's a pretty meh situation to be honest.

I really liked this chapter, though more so the Tangle and Whisper one. This chapter really went all out on casualties and drama. I really liked that. Yeesh it's bad. More heroes down, more to probably go.

So now we got the Whisper details and I think she shot up as best girl for me. I find her more interesting than Blaze though wonder where she will be going from here on out after the mini series climax. Sometimes once a mystery is revealed, suddenly a character loses part of their intrigue. Too soon to call, but I hope she doesn't go stagnant after this.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

No it was dumb

I understand why they did it and makes sense for em. But it was dumb

Not all dumb is narratively bad. Sometimes people make mistakes

Sonic 22 plus Tangle & Whisper 3

Well, I know not every story needs a shocking surprise, but T&W was very predictable. I knew pretty much everything that's gonna happen save for small details. But hey, girls are still very likeable and art is good. Maybe that's enough.

Spoiler

Diamon Cutters are okay. Nothing great, but they are meant to be dead. Interesting that Cube belonged to Mimic.

Shadow Androids. Eh, makes sense, but didn't we had perfectly working Phantom Clone running around? It would make for more dramatic scene, watching those guys being wrecked by "real" Shadow. Assuming none of them knows about his kick-to-the-head weakness. Also, isn't yellow Android a little more 'default' then orange?

As for main book... decent enough, but last issue was better.

Art is pretty good, but  little tip : Cream looks better when her ears are naturally blended with rest of the head, not separate with line. Otherwise we have perfect ball shape and that's slightly funny looking.

Scene with Zeti is a little pointless, if fairly harmless. BTW, what zone are they now? I don't recall Castlevania Clock Tower in Lost World.

Also, page 7, Cream talking to Gemerl. Chick on the right looks like Sally going through some rebel phase.

Spoiler

Overall this issue is as good as all the "feels" get to you. And while Amy tried her best, with whole thing falling on her watch, loosing Vanilla and stuff, in the end it was Vector scene that got to me.

I think the trick is that there is more emotion that just 'sadness'. Vector is surprisingly calm about everything. Espio is actually devastated, while being 'left in charge'. And on top of that Gemerl's "he's very strong" isn't a complement to fallen comrade, but sad reminder that there isn't even time for tears. It's kinda moving.

13 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic 22 plus Tangle & Whisper 3

Well, I know not every story needs a shocking surprise, but T&W was very predictable. I knew pretty much everything that's gonna happen save for small details. But hey, girls are still very likeable and art is great. Maybe that's enough.

Hide contents

Diamon Cutters are okay. Nothing great, but they are meant to be dead. Interesting that Cube belonged to Mimic.

Shadow Androids. Eh, makes sense, but didn't we had perfectly working Phantom Clone running around? It would make for more dramatic scene, watching those guys being wrecked by Shadow himself. Assuming none of them knows about his kick-to-the-head weakness. Also, isn't yellow Android a little more 'default' then orange?

As for main book... decent enough, but last issue was better.

Art is pretty good, but  little tip : Cream looks better when her ears are naturally blended with rest of the head, not separate with line. Otherwise we have perfect ball shape and that's slightly funny looking.

Scene with Zeti is a little pointless, if fairly harmless. BTW, what zone are they now? I don't recall Castlevania Clock Tower in Lost World.

Also, page 7, Cream talking to Gemerl. Chick on the right looks like Sally going through some rebel phase.

Reveal hidden contents

Overall this issue is as good as all the "feels" get to you. And while Amy tried her best, with whole thing falling on her watch, loosing Vanilla and stuff, in the end it was Vector scene that got to me.

I think the trick is that there is more emotion that just 'sadness'. Vector is surprisingly calm about everything. Espio is actually devastated, while being 'left in charge'. And on top of that Gemerl's "he's very strong" isn't a complement to fallen comrade, but sad reminder that there isn't even time for tears. It's kinda moving.

That's the retcon

They aren't running around

Pay attention to the dialog

23 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That's the retcon

I have no idea what you're talking about. Which dialog?

This flashback takes place during Forces, right? So 'soulless fake' Shadow should be somewhere around.

20 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That's the retcon

Not a retcon in my opinion. Eggman might use the Shadow clones to conquer the world. But he decided to use his stock of Shadow robots as a backup (maybe Infinite decides to use shadow clones against him? maybe someone steals his original phantom ruby?)

Spoiler

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Which dialog?

This flashback takes place during Forces, right? So 'soulless fake' Shadow should be somewhere around.

Spoiler

They said hedgehogs were Mia, the only two hedgehogs he could be referring to are sonic and shadow. Amy is around, so is silver and his existence in general is limited knowledge

And the leader knows who shadow is because hes about to say his name.

There are no shadow clones, as of currently at least. I dont think sega wants to associate shadow with that.

44 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Not a retcon in my opinion. Eggman might use the Shadow clones to conquer the world. But he decided to use his stock of Shadow robots as a backup (maybe Infinite decides to use shadow clones against him? maybe someone steals his original phantom ruby?)

I dont think so , after the fight where all the villagers conveniently vanished.I think the intent is clear

"Shadow was gone. Where was he , dont ask. There were no clones shadow wasn't there"

Spoiler

I could be wrong and those shadow clones are the backup. But uh , I dont think so

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

They said hedgehogs were Mia, the only two hedgehogs he could be referring to are sonic and shadow. Amy is around, so is silver and his existence in general is limited knowledge

And the leader knows who shadow is because hes about to say his name.

There are no shadow clones, as of currently at least. I dont think sega wants to associate shadow with that.

I dont think so , after the fight where all the villagers conveniently vanished.I think the intent is clear

"Shadow was gone. Where was he , dont ask. There were no clones shadow wasn't there"

I could be wrong and those shadow clones are the backup. But uh , I dont think so

That's because Shadow also disappeared during 6 months before appearing again (when he saves Sonic from a Shadow clone in Sonic Forces).

In the Sonic forces prequel comic number 3 and Episode Shadow we can assume Infinite traps Shadow in a pocket dimension.

So the hedgehogs MIA are: Sonic trapped in the death Egg, Shadow trapped in the pocket dimension

18 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

That's because Shadow also disappeared during 6 months before appearing again (when he saves Sonic from a Shadow clone in Sonic Forces).

In the Sonic forces prequel comic number 3 and Episode Shadow we can assume Infinite traps Shadow in a pocket dimension.

Wanna point again we cant assume that. He litterally doesn't do it. He just turned on the base destruction button and left.

So the hedgehogs MIA are: Sonic trapped in the death Egg, Shadow trapped in the pocket dimension

So shadow isnt trapped it's a plothole they clearly do not want to address and might not be able to given the infinite restrictions

And now there seems to be the implication that the shadow clones didn't exist

Edit: please require my previous post with the spoiler tags included

15 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

They said hedgehogs were Mia, the only two hedgehogs he could be referring to are sonic and shadow.

Aaaaa. Forgive me for missing a single letter. Okay, you're right, but that doesn't changes my point.

Flynn CHOOSE (or was told to) keep Phantom Shadow away. Story still work, perhaps be slightly better, if

Spoiler

Phantom Shadow was here doing the killing, rather than resurrecting very similar plot device to do basically the same thing.

It would be more vicious, watching "Shadow" killing those folks, rather than bunch of look-a-like robots. But  I can imagine Sega being offended by this, seeing how picky they are with IDW.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Wanna point again we cant assume that. He litterally doesn't do it. He just turned on the base destruction button and left.

So shadow isnt trapped it's a plothole they clearly do not want to address and might not be able to given the infinite restrictions

And now there seems to be the implication that the shadow clones didn't exist

In this comic we see wisps, and chao

we see

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Aaaaa. Forgive me for missing a single letter. Okay, you're right, but that doesn't changes my point.

Flynn CHOOSE (or was told to) keep Phantom Shadow away. Story still work, perhaps be slightly better, if

Hide contents

Phantom Shadow was here doing the killing, rather than resurrecting very similar plot device to do basically the same thing.

It would be more vicious, watching "Shadow" killing those folks, rather than bunch of look-a-like robots. But  I can imagine Sega being offended by this, seeing how picky they are with IDW.

Thats true, better be robots doing this than shadow clones

11 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hide contents

Oh I'm not arguing your point. I thought that would be the proceedings. I'm as surprised as you are.

I was just mentioning that.

Speaking of which shootouts to whisper 's aim during that flash back to last year.

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

In this comic we see wisps, and chao

we see

Yeah and in this comic gemril cant have a character and infinite cant show up. There are weird rules and this plays into some stuff people were suspect of last year. Or maybe its Flynn's own choice due to other restrictions or a combination of both. Either way, yeah

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Oh I'm not arguing your point. I thought that would be the proceedings. I'm as surprised as you are.

I was just mentioning that.

Speaking of which shootouts to whisper 's aim during that flash back to last year.

Yeah and in this comic gemril cant have a character and infinite cant show up. There are weird rules and this plays into some stuff people were suspect of last year

You can say we'll never address Infinite and Shadow clone (because frankly, Sonic Foces is full of plot holes and bad writing), but it happened. Eggman used this for his conquest.

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

You can say we'll never address Infinite and Shadow clone (because frankly, Sonic Foces is full of plot holes and bad writing), but it happened. Eggman used this for his conquest.

Not if they dont want to have happened and dont want to reference it

Retcons, that's the rub

Remember when shadow was a gun agent

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Not if they dont want to have happened and dont want to reference it

Retcons, that's the rub

You can also say issue 7 was a retcon. In Forces Eggman said his final plan was the death egg robot. but in IDW his final plan was Neo metal Sonic.

BUT

Death Egg robot still happened (flashback in issue 1)

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

You can also say issue 7 was a retcon. In Forces Eggman said his final plan was the death egg robot. but in IDW his final plan was Neo metal Sonic.

BUT

Death Egg robot still happened (flashback in issue 1)

Those are two different situations this runs consistent with previous info and sega in particular has been noted to be very particular about the character in question.

I could talking directly out of my ass and one shows up next issue

But for now, seems consistent

#22 was alright. It felt rushed to me compared to last issue where not much was going on, and I would have liked to see them explore the creepy vibe of the whole base setting more instead of hell breaking loose immediately, but I guess there wasn't enough space for that. Quite surprised Sonic wasn't shoehorned into this one at all.

Spoiler

RIP Vanilla and Vector, you were the only adults in this story so there weren't many other way for this to go down. Gotta admit Vector's sacrifice and going out with a smile hit me harder than expected - yes, bringing Charmy in was a huge mistake, but also very human; he owned up to it and it really showed what a protective dad figure he is to his boys.

The fact that someone turned full zombot that exact moment they were passing through however felt way more bullshit to me, it was obviously just for moving the story along but there could have been a better way to get this one rolling. Heck, I get the feeling infected cast members like Shadow will soon be under control of the Deadly Six, so they could have used this plot point to get Charmy there.