Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

43 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Could be better, but the artist can progress. Even Evan Stanley and ABT were beginners when they were hired by Archie.

If I'm to offer criticism. The anatomy needs a bit of work.

That said I think this one was rushed? So I'm not bugging, but it's very noticeable

Just now, Shadowlax said:

If I'm to offer criticism. The anatomy needs a bit of work.

That said I think this one was rushed? So I'm not bugging, but it's very noticeable

Even the issue before it felt rushed.

But we get better art the next 2 issues are by the more experienced artists like Jack Lawrence and ABT

9 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Record scratch

Oh wow they are just retconning forces

Shoutouts to shadow the hedgehog ( game references) . Also I guess that's how they do that, kind of a cop out but there's one more issue.

But uh retcons huh

I mean...Ian's been saying since day 1 the games didn't happen 1:1 in the IDW continuity. If only there were like Game Adaptations to show us how the events of Adventure-Forces happened in this universe.

Seriously I can't be the only one who wants those, right? An Original Graphic Novel or miniseries maybe do them as their own spinoff book? Just if the games events aren't exactly how they were in the IDW universe it'd be a good idea to show them off IMHO.

24 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I mean...Ian's been saying since day 1 the games didn't happen 1:1 in the IDW continuity. If only there were like Game Adaptations to show us how the events of Adventure-Forces happened in this universe.

Seriously I can't be the only one who wants those, right? An Original Graphic Novel or miniseries maybe do them as their own spinoff book? Just if the games events aren't exactly how they were in the IDW universe it'd be a good idea to show them off IMHO.

I just want what if material in general. Lot of potnlential. What if the echidna's didn't get killed. What if everyone was gender swapped. What a certain character got turned evil ( blank kills the sonic universe ) good eggman was another what if I want elaborated on in isolation.

Cant do it no more but I always had an idea for a what if tails through an unfortunate series of accidents became king of the acorn kingdom

Side bar, while not 1:1 as we have learned with uh...certain characterizations. These things maybe indicative of greater directions being taken. It just feels....really specific to me. It's just weird

I think something more akin to Archie’s Mobius Timeline would fill that hole better. It doesn’t need to retell the entire story, but fill us in on the essential bullet points of each adventure.

I wonder if the Chaotix have a Charmy tracker, like they promised him ice cream but instead got him microchipped at the vet in case he runs off again after their usual arguments. Kinda suspicious to track down a bee so easily in the middle of the apocalypse > : 0

16 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

I wonder if the Chaotix have a Charmy tracker, like they promised him ice cream but instead got him microchipped at the vet in case he runs off again after their usual arguments. Kinda suspicious to track down a bee so easily in the middle of the apocalypse > : 0

I like how you suggest they got him microchipped at the vet though.

Though it would be neat if they called their normal doctors vets because they are animals

13 minutes ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

I think ABT is gonna do the art for issue 24

E: and Jack Lawrence for the next issue

I like your name

Feels a bit contrived for someone infected to be able to sneak in when Gemerl can trivially scan everyone and has been hyper-vigilant about any zombots getting in. Minor complaint, though. Otherwise the issue's fine...though I still don't feel like the emotional beats land as well as they should. T&W continues to be much more successful at that.

It's hilarious how much the issue just tossed Vanilla aside like that. The first panel she appears in and it's like "Whoops I'm infected" with no build up. 

Then you have Vector who has the most badass death yet with plenty of build up. 

I'm still probably not going to read another issue until the threat is over now because I'm a chickenshit who was having a minor crisis at work.

42 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Feels a bit contrived for someone infected to be able to sneak in when Gemerl can trivially scan everyone and has been hyper-vigilant about any zombots getting in. Minor complaint, though. Otherwise the issue's fine...though I still don't feel like the emotional beats land as well as they should. T&W continues to be much more successful at that.

That cloak is scanner proof, able to bypass the strongest of organic detection equipment...

Either that or G-Mel doesn't really have that and nothing about it has been mentioned so far.

10 minutes ago, Dr Egg-Gin said:
  Hide contents

It's hilarious how much the issue just tossed Vanilla aside like that. The first panel she appears in and it's like "Whoops I'm infected" with no build up. 

Then you have Vector who has the most badass death yet with plenty of build up. 

I'm still probably not going to read another issue until the threat is over now because I'm a chickenshit who was having a minor crisis at work.

They are the kind of character who matters more to the development to someone else, more than their own characterization. So makes sense. Its kinda funny , its just kinda like "Oh damn, "

1 hour ago, Petrifying Panda said:

About Tangle & Whisper

Reveal hidden contents

what exactly was being retconned here? Are they implying the phantom Shadows in Forces were actually Shadow androids? ‘cos I‘m not seeing any connection between the two.

Spoiler

That the shadow illusions even existed. The leader says the hedgehogs(S) are mia and the only two he could be refering two are...actually mai are sonic and shadow. The latter would presumably be faked via illusions, however. If they are MIA that means that he doesn't think shadow's around. Which means that shadow clones aren't being used. Because even the resistance people who would genuinely be surprised that shadow was on the badguy side, were fooled by those clones. So odds are they if some rando is saying shadow is gone. He's just gone.

This in combination with shadow causing villagers to vanish in his wake in issue 6 a time period that would be elaborated to have been heavily edited , and the only character to have beef with shadow based around this period just had it elaborated on to have been a very specific scenario with a very specific kind of replacement enemy that allows them to not reference shadow in forces at all.

Whether at Ian's Discretion or at Sega's direction. " Shadow wasn't there don't ask " seems to be how they want to play that. And at least in this comic, that's a pretty interesting retcon. Well if they ever elaborate on where shadow actually was, but I get the funny feeling that might be one of life's mysteries.

58 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I think there was potential for more emotion but this shit was moving at well... sonic speed. I blinked and people were robotted. Also for me personally this is the kinda thing where it drags on, considering it can't be permanent looses gas if it takes to long. And this and the previous issue very much felt like filler, imo

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

Not acknowledging something isn't the same thing as contradicting it.

Sure .

Doesn't help when they go " Yo dog hold this replacement enemy. Don't talk about that other thing don't worry about that "

I know I'm risking setting this topic on fire again, but I was thinking about Shadow.

Considering recent events I know where I would took his 'development'

Spoiler

Between his Phantom Fake, Zombie Shadow and now those Androids, people actually fear him. (I know not many people know about Diamond Cutters, but perhaps Shadow-Aindroids were weapon in war. Or maybe there could be a scene where Whisper in public act negatively towards him and people start getting ideas).

But twist, Shadow don't give a f@#$ what people think, just doing what he does and ignoring any hostilities towards him.

Except twist-twist (un-twist?) Shadow is just pretending. He is frustrated with situation, but doesn't even knows who to blame, so he's angry at himself, pushing his emotions down and himself to limits. And then someone has a little heart-to-heart with him and resolves it. Whisper would be surprisingly good choice since 1 being reserved she could notice emotions he's hiding. 2 She similarly blames herself for things that aren't her fault (death of her team) 

I'm guessing the phantom ruby along with Infinite are off-limits, so that may the the reason, but the phantoms existed in IDW too, Sonic mentions fighting the illusion of Metal in Forces in issue 7. They just can't be used I guess?

That could explain Why

Spoiler

The android were used instead.

So yes, I think it's a way to dance around the mandates, but not really a retcon. And

Spoiler

Shadow was officially missing during the six months.

3 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I'm guessing the phantom ruby along with Infinite are off-limits, so that may the the reason, but the phantoms existed in IDW too, Sonic mentions fighting the illusion of Metal in Forces in issue 7. They just can't be used I guess?

That could explain Why

Reveal hidden contents

The android were used instead.

So yes, I think it's a way to dance around the mandates, but not really a retcon. And

Reveal hidden contents

Shadow was officially missing during the six months.

Spoiler

I'm kinda surprised this is apparently up for debate. I've only watched the Cutscenes/a couple Let's Plays but it seems pretty obvious that Shadow was being held prisoner. Episode Shadow pretty much says as much.

51 minutes ago, SBR2 said:
  Hide contents

I'm kinda surprised this is apparently up for debate. I've only watched the Cutscenes/a couple Let's Plays but it seems pretty obvious that Shadow was being held prisoner. Episode Shadow pretty much says as much.

Watch em again.

Episode shadow doesn't say as much. Infinite hits the self destruct and leaves. He breaks free of the illusion before that happens too. Him being trapped is literally something parts of the fanbase made up and spread. Go watch it again, that's why its up for debate. Because they do not clarify what happened.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I know I'm risking setting this topic on fire again, but I was thinking about Shadow.

Considering recent events I know where I would took his 'development'

Hide contents

Between his Phantom Fake, Zombie Shadow and now those Androids, people actually fear him. (I know not many people know about Diamond Cutters, but perhaps Shadow-Aindroids were weapon in war. Or maybe there could be a scene where Whisper in public act negatively towards him and people start getting ideas).

But twist, Shadow don't give a f@#$ what people think, just doing what he does and ignoring any hostilities towards him.

Except twist-twist (un-twist?) Shadow is just pretending. He is frustrated with situation, but doesn't even knows who to blame, so he's angry at himself, pushing his emotions down and himself to limits. And then someone has a little heart-to-heart with him and resolves it. Whisper would be surprisingly good choice since 1 being reserved she could notice emotions he's hiding. 2 She similarly blames herself for things that aren't her fault (death of her team) 

I like this idea.

Spoiler

But i'm cruel and I want it to get much worse for shadow before it gets better if that happens.  Like after this is over and he reasonably is upset about not being able to kill eggman no one agrees with him. No one even considers his opinion and is actively upset that shadow would try to challenge the status quo. Even his friends, he lashes out reasonably and it is said if he's gonna be how he is , they don't even want him saving his world. And he obliges. He leaves. The world turns against him, but in a way where he can't actually fight like he always has. He would be fighting the people he wanted to protect. So to protect them from himself someone he would consider a monster, he leaves.

Later, and hopefully not to quickly in a fit of the universes cruel irony. They need shadow's help, really bad.Like really really bad. And they go look for him, first location is the arc, and he isn't there. And now its really bad now. Its unbelievably bad , I dunno black arms found away to sonic's universe and started tearin up shop. Or screw it retcon em in , who cares at this point. But in a stroke of luck GUN commander man tower guy is like " Yo he took one of our space ships and flew off into deep space . When we asked what was up because he was looking wild depressed...well more than usual " he just said " I'm a monster " and just flew out into space."

So basically they have to go on a space adventure before the whole world gets eaten by aliens.

Dunno where it goes after that, I guess it works out. Because more stories need to be told.

But I dunno if we gonna go through that story , I want shadow to be sad. I want him to be lost and shit if we going that route. Bring the pain. Emotionally anyway.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I checked a playthrough of this myself and, from the sounds of it, Shadow did escape Infinite's illusion well before Sonic got jumped. There are some weird parts of this, like at the beginning of the Virtual Reality level, Rouge (illusion) mentions Omega was destroyed three months ago, but this is likely just Infinite messing with Shadow's head. Doesn't really sound like he had any hold on Shadow as far as I can tell. It's not clear how much time passed but it sounds like it was just a brief test (Infinite even says the power hasn't been tuned yet). Shadow just disappears for six months since Episode Shadow ends surprisingly early (cutting to Sonic's defeat).

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I guess this is what I get for lookin' after my own."

Vector is a fantastic character and these were a great set of books that I got to read today. It's always a mini Christmas when just one comes out but two on the same day? Oh me, oh my.

The Tangle and Whisper issue has taken off for me in a way that's really captured my full attention. It's hitting the emotional beats that it needs to just fine without getting to outwardly graphic. There's a lot to be said about what the terror of a situation can do for you when most of what's happened is left up to your imagination. It cannot be overstated how grateful I am that Ian's allowed to be as free with Eggman as he is because this man is a ruthless, scary monster and the amount of destruction and havoc he's caused in such a short amount of time within the confines of just this new continuity is astonishing. Even better is the ending of this third issue where the set up for ending it where it all began came into play. It has a very distinct, action-cartoon vibe to it.

I was taken aback by all the Shadow Androids. I keep forgetting about this man's ability to make sure bits of lore don't go to waste and one of, if not the biggest, wasted opportunities as far as the games were concerned were those things. Seeing rows and rows of them only for them to show up in two Eggman levels and the 2-Player mode of Shadow the Hedgehog and to then never be brought up again is just criminal. One of those should have been doing the Neo Metal Sonic thing and thinking it were the real Shadow or something.

Issue 22 on the other hand continues my love for witnessing survival and showing how my favorite characters deal with the fallout of it in ways that I would never, ever, ever get to see happen in the narrative of the games. The only part where it necessarily feels a bit rushed for me is with Vanilla, if only because the scene with her didn't have too much space dedicated to it. It did get across what it needed to (as Cream's nightmares are only going to get worse) but I do agree some build up might have helped. Then again, I can forgive it because she's not exactly as important as someone like Vector, who did indeed just get the Golden Metal for Badassery, not just for the conviction he held towards remaining loyal towards his team with his actions but getting a fair good number of awesome lines to boot. 

The way he just dives after Charmy without any hesitation so that Espio can get away was a neat way to keep his buddy safe but to also, in a more morbid way, keep good on the promise to not leave Charmy on his own. I have a tremendous amount of respect for both of their desires to remain connected with their friend  and how he views what Charmy did as an act of heroism. Finally getting to see Full Zombot Charmy was great too, although, it did send a bit of a painful jolt through my heart. 

I'm also greatly appreciative of the fact that Espio got a tear in his eye after witnessing his boss' sacrifice. There was a lot of crying in this issue actually. I shouldn't enjoy their suffering so much but, you know... I do.

I saw a "Froggy? Where are you?!" in that crowd but... Mr. Big is MIA so that's weird. Rouge is also MIA but that's clearly a set-up for something. After hearing the news about Shadow she just darted off and as of now has not returned. I'm so intrigued by all of this. I need more. It's like vitamins for me guys. 

Mr. Ominous Monkey Man in a cloak also intrigued me a bit. I was wondering what could have been going through his mind that whole time. Did he see the writing on the wall and just decided he wanted to go out with a crowd of people? Was it truly just that he didn't want to be alone? Was he going crazy? Guess I'll never know. I've never been in a Zombot Apocalypse so I don't entirely know how I'd act. I normally am rather fond of being alone but would I be in that situation? Perhaps not.

Slightly wondering how he managed to get past Gemerl if he was infected. It's not something that totally wrecks the issue or anything but it's a bit of an oddity considering how hard for security he is. 

Also, I'm glad Tails, despite not having his data, did confirm that he still has a way of fixing the problem. He just needs Sonic to hurry back with what he's got and... to hopefully find another lab. I guess they could borrow one from Eggman if they ask nicely.

One thing that definitely felt weird was the one page with the Deadly Six. The point where it cuts in makes little sense and the point where it shifts back to the Resistance HQ also felt strange. I'm not entirely sure what that was about as it didn't even cover anything we didn't already know. 

Having the context for what the deal with Cover B was about kind of gives off a more depressing vibe than just a creepy one now. I still can't stop looking at or thinking about this cover. 

I really want the next issue right now. This is gonna be an especially hard wait.