Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Just read Issue 22. This was somewhere between pretty good and okay. I'm not quite sure where to put my finger.

Spoiler
  • Highlights were from the preview and how Vector goes out.
  • The Zeti page was relatively well placed to not interrupt the contamination. Interesting that Zazz of all Zeti doesn't seem too into the plan, though he might've just woken up.
  • Oddly enough, Charmy isn't the cause of things going to shit despite being barely visible on the cover, which I guess is accurate to the solicit.  Of course, we'll get to that in the next two posts.
  • A bit surprised Cream made it, but then that might've been intentional. Vanilla, on the other hand, is obvious.
  • I kinda sighed when I saw you know who near the end, but that's seemingly correcting itself. Which is a...admittedly interesting surprise. Before I was wondering if we're gonna see Silver and recently Rouge's side of things, but now Spiral Hill might be the next destination.
  • If there was anything I can say against this issue, it's that things fall apart pretty fast? There wasn't much time for this to settle in with the refugees--the hidden infectee is barely around, there's not a chance for anyone to really react to her, and Vanilla only show up as she making contact.

21 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

The art in this issue is uh...questionable

Yeah, sometimes it looks good, but often times the next panel will have some weirdness about it.

20 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Record scratch

Oh wow they are just retconning forces

Shoutouts to shadow the hedgehog ( game references) . Also I guess that's how they do that, kind of a cop out but there's one more issue.

But uh retcons huh

What do you mean?

15 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I really liked this chapter, though more so the Tangle and Whisper one. This chapter really went all out on casualties and drama. I really liked that. Yeesh it's bad. More heroes down, more to probably go.

So now we got the Whisper details and I think she shot up as best girl for me. I find her more interesting than Blaze though wonder where she will be going from here on out after the mini series climax. Sometimes once a mystery is revealed, suddenly a character loses part of their intrigue. Too soon to call, but I hope she doesn't go stagnant after this.

Oh, Tangle and Whisper! 

The two issues were terrific! For issue#22, 

Spoiler

I loved the cloaked figure's character....he's infected and know that he is a danger but is at the same time scared and didn't want to be alone.  I kinda cried a little inside when Vanilla was infected.  She's like that Mom you always wanted and don't want to see hurt.  Vector went out like a boss at least.  I'm enjoying this series a lot and will be sad to see it end.

Tangle and Whisper#3

Spoiler

I feel so bad for poor Whisper and what she had to go through.  She was very close with her band of friends and then Mimic "wants to be on the winning side" and guts everyone.  I hope he gets what is coming to him and I love Whisper's hug with Tangle! It was very hard for her to open up like that and to make some progress is great!  

Okay, I'll admit that this issue surprisingly ends with a mostly satisfying recap of not only Whisper's backstory, but Mimic's as well. The surprising part is what a satisfying penultimate point the ending is, as I honestly didn't see this heading for the finish line this [emotional sounding word] even if I wasn't sure how it reasonably could.

Btw, here's a list of songs that might be nice for certain portions.

Main Book Issue 22

Spoiler

(This one just happened to cycle the moment Charmy got loose)

Whisper Miniseries

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

Mr. Ominous Monkey Man in a cloak also intrigued me a bit. I was wondering what could have been going through his mind that whole time. Did he see the writing on the wall and just decided he wanted to go out with a crowd of people? Was it truly just that he didn't want to be alone? Was he going crazy? Guess I'll never know. I've never been in a Zombot Apocalypse so I don't entirely know how I'd act. I normally am rather fond of being alone but would I be in that situation? Perhaps not.

I think it was a situation that he knew it was too late for himself, he was infected, and it was slowly eating him up inside. It was a selfish move, but it's clear he was terrified and wanted to be around people and not be completely alone when he "died" by Zombot. 

Was really happy to finally get a solid look at Charmy's zombot design. Probably one of the hardest hitting ones yet, seeing someone normally so fun-loving and energy filled look completely stiff, dead, and lifeless. I'm surprised how far they went with the emotion this time around as well. I'm surprised Ian was allowed to have Espio legitimately devastated by Vector becoming infected, and going out in a blitz of glory on his own terms. Espio's usually collected and no-nonsense, so it was really nice to see that break, and having to be convinced to continue onwards. It was depressing as hell to see Cream this issue as well as she so desperately reaches out for Vanilla. Her nightmares were bad enough, and they're just amped up ten fold now.

The art this issue was pretty meh though. I will say that some of the designs of the regular citizens were pretty interesting, and I liked how you could even see the girl who originally started talking to the infected cloaked monkey later as a Zombot during the attack. But a lot of the art felt pretty stiff, and made way for some really odd expressions, especially the one with Cream and Amy where Amy is crying at Cream's selflessness, which someone has already edited to take the piss out of it.

16 hours ago, dbzfan7 said:

I really liked this chapter, though more so the Tangle and Whisper one. This chapter really went all out on casualties and drama. I really liked that. Yeesh it's bad. More heroes down, more to probably go.

So now we got the Whisper details and I think she shot up as best girl for me. I find her more interesting than Blaze though wonder where she will be going from here on out after the mini series climax. Sometimes once a mystery is revealed, suddenly a character loses part of their intrigue. Too soon to call, but I hope she doesn't go stagnant after this.

The acknowledgement of Shadow has more or less been extinguished, so....

15 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Why does mimic have scars on his mouth while he didnt have them in the flahs back?

I'd assume he got them in a fight with Whisper.

That or that's just how he looks now that he's older.

14 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Spoiler

Scene with Zeti is a little pointless, if fairly harmless. BTW, what zone are they now? I don't recall Castlevania Clock Tower in Lost World.

I think it's supposed to be the inner workings of Eggman's Base in Lava Mountain.

14 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That's the retcon

They aren't running around

Pay attention to the dialog

Who isn't running around? Skulk's post says nothing like that.

14 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I wonder whose idea it was to keep the metallic toddler inside an Sonic Adventure 1 capsule.

Those things are notoriously fragile.

The what now?

14 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Not a retcon in my opinion. Eggman might use the Shadow clones to conquer the world. But he decided to use his stock of Shadow robots as a backup (maybe Infinite decides to use shadow clones against him? maybe someone steals his original phantom ruby?)

What? Huh?

14 hours ago, Shadowlax said:
  Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

They said hedgehogs were Mia, the only two hedgehogs he could be referring to are sonic and shadow. Amy is around, so is silver and his existence in general is limited knowledge

And the leader knows who shadow is because hes about to say his name.

There are no shadow clones, as of currently at least. I dont think sega wants to associate shadow with that.

I dont think so , after the fight where all the villagers conveniently vanished.I think the intent is clear

"Shadow was gone. Where was he , dont ask. There were no clones shadow wasn't there"

That's because Shadow also disappeared during 6 months before appearing again (when he saves Sonic from a Shadow clone in Sonic Forces).

In the Sonic forces prequel comic number 3 and Episode Shadow we can assume Infinite traps Shadow in a pocket dimension.

So the hedgehogs MIA are: Sonic trapped in the death Egg, Shadow trapped in the pocket dimension

Essentially.

The only obstacle is that Shadow exits the Virtual Reality at the end of the DLC, seemingly in time to hear about Sonic being taken down at least.

Not a retcon in my opinion. Eggman might use the Shadow clones to conquer the world. But he decided to use his stock of Shadow robots as a backup (maybe Infinite decides to use shadow clones against him? maybe someone steals his original phantom ruby?)

13 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Aaaaa. Forgive me for missing a single letter. Okay, you're right, but that doesn't changes my point.

Flynn CHOOSE (or was told to) keep Phantom Shadow away. Story still work, perhaps be slightly better, if

Hide contents

Phantom Shadow was here doing the killing, rather than resurrecting very similar plot device to do basically the same thing.

It would be more vicious, watching "Shadow" killing those folks, rather than bunch of look-a-like robots. But  I can imagine Sega being offended by this, seeing how picky they are with IDW.

They were Androids instead of Phantoms because it was supposed to be discreet under Mimic's assistance. Some old bunker where no one else could know outside of anyone who finds his or Whisper's mask doesn't really have much need for Phantoms.

13 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

You can also say issue 7 was a retcon. In Forces Eggman said his final plan was the death egg robot. but in IDW his final plan was Neo metal Sonic.

BUT

Death Egg robot still happened (flashback in issue 1)

Yeah, that's something I didn't really like either, but honestly it works well enough with the character saying it.

12 hours ago, LukA8 said:

#22 was alright. It felt rushed to me compared to last issue where not much was going on, and I would have liked to see them explore the creepy vibe of the whole base setting more instead of hell breaking loose immediately, but I guess there wasn't enough space for that. Quite surprised Sonic wasn't shoehorned into this one at all.

Hide contents

The fact that someone turned full zombot that exact moment they were passing through however felt way more bullshit to me, it was obviously just for moving the story along but there could have been a better way to get this one rolling. 

/

7 hours ago, Dr Egg-Gin said:
  Hide contents

It's hilarious how much the issue just tossed Vanilla aside like that. The first panel she appears in and it's like "Whoops I'm infected" with no build up. 

Then you have Vector who has the most badass death yet with plenty of build up. 

I'm still probably not going to read another issue until the threat is over now because I'm a chickenshit who was having a minor crisis at work.

Yeah, that's the big failure of this for me as well.

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

How did yal feel about the art on the main book

In general or for this issue?

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

I think it was a situation that he knew it was too late for himself, he was infected, and it was slowly eating him up inside. It was a selfish move, but it's clear he was terrified and wanted to be around people and not be completely alone when he "died" by Zombot. 

Was really happy to finally get a solid look at Charmy's zombot design. Probably one of the hardest hitting ones yet, seeing someone normally so fun-loving and energy filled look completely stiff, dead, and lifeless. I'm surprised how far they went with the emotion this time around as well. I'm surprised Ian was allowed to have Espio legitimately devastated by Vector becoming infected, and going out in a blitz of glory on his own terms. Espio's usually collected and no-nonsense, so it was really nice to see that break, and having to be convinced to continue onwards. It was depressing as hell to see Cream this issue as well as she so desperately reaches out for Vanilla. Her nightmares were bad enough, and they're just amped up ten fold now.

The art this issue was pretty meh though. I will say that some of the designs of the regular citizens were pretty interesting, and I liked how you could even see the girl who originally started talking to the infected cloaked monkey later as a Zombot during the attack. But a lot of the art felt pretty stiff, and made way for some really odd expressions, especially the one with Cream and Amy where Amy is crying at Cream's selflessness, which someone has already edited to take the piss out of it.

Yeah. That's what I'm going with too. I keep staring at the Cover B art and feeling sad. It's great. Honestly, I'm wondering if it might be my new favorite. It's so much more effective to me than Cover A where the somber moment before everything went down is what's being depicted rather than a showcase of all hell breaking loose.

I'm also very happy to have a clear view of Zombot Charmy. I can finally do some sort of an attempt at fan-art for him. Maybe a before and after pic like one of the upcoming covers is doing, just to sell that juxtaposition. Also, really happy with how Espio was handled too. Him and Vector went on a mission to recover Charmy, succeeded, but when all was said and done he just ended up just losing another member of the gang. He just got one of the saddest promotions ever. Eggman made Espio cry. 

I generally agree about the art. There were a lot of times where they looked weird and off but there were also a lot of times where they looked fine or even great. I especially liked the expressions on the monkey when he was sitting and talking to that girl. However, there were other things like how strangely lanky everyone would get at times. I swear, Vector's leg grows 3 times as big when he's punting the Zombots back through the door. It doesn't even work as a perspective shot. 

12 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Could be better, but the artist can progress. Even Evan Stanley and ABT were beginners when they were hired by Archie.

Her's was at least an interesting style with relatively out there characters.

What was his first story?

10 hours ago, Petrifying Panda said:

I think something more akin to Archie’s Mobius Timeline would fill that hole better. It doesn’t need to retell the entire story, but fill us in on the essential bullet points of each adventure.

That'd be nice.

9 hours ago, LukA8 said:

I wonder if the Chaotix have a Charmy tracker, like they promised him ice cream but instead got him microchipped at the vet in case he runs off again after their usual arguments. Kinda suspicious to track down a bee so easily in the middle of the apocalypse > : 0

I'm just wondering how they got him in the thing.

7 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Feels a bit contrived for someone infected to be able to sneak in when Gemerl can trivially scan everyone and has been hyper-vigilant about any zombots getting in. Minor complaint, though. Otherwise the issue's fine...though I still don't feel like the emotional beats land as well as they should. T&W continues to be much more successful at that.

Oops! 

Tangle and Whisper continues to be great. Ian better think about scaling things down next arc, because he's doing way better with a much smaller scale and more personal stakes. Pairing these two together has turned out way better than I expected. Tangle's endless optimism might have seemed like a weakness at first, bu ends up having a lot of value when it comes to helping Whisper open up and work through her trauma. On the flipside she gets experience dealing with a really dangerous adversary outside of her sleepy village and is grounded a bit on the ways being a hero can be dangerous. good stuff.

RE: her backstory. what happened is pretty much what you could infer if you've been paying attention to prior issues, but that doesn't take the punch out. I'm surprised and a bit discomforted by the ruthlessness of it but it's executed well. It's made Whisper into a much more sympathetic character than anyone else in the book and sold Mimic as a slimy motherfucker. It hit the notes it needed to hit without being overly gratuitous, following some of the better examples of this series navigating tragedy.

I was kind of hoping Shadow was more directly involved somehow. Bringing back the androids doesn't mean a whole lot to me when that's functionally the same as them getting attacked by any other Eggman robot. I wonder if it'll cause problems with Shadow later but Whisper doesn't seem to hold much ill will toward him so I doubt it.

On the whole though I'm pretty happy with this little mini-arc.

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Hide contents

That the shadow illusions even existed. The leader says the hedgehogs(S) are mia and the only two he could be refering two are...actually mai are sonic and shadow. The latter would presumably be faked via illusions, however. If they are MIA that means that he doesn't think shadow's around. Which means that shadow clones aren't being used. Because even the resistance people who would genuinely be surprised that shadow was on the badguy side, were fooled by those clones. So odds are they if some rando is saying shadow is gone. He's just gone.

This in combination with shadow causing villagers to vanish in his wake in issue 6 a time period that would be elaborated to have been heavily edited , and the only character to have beef with shadow based around this period just had it elaborated on to have been a very specific scenario with a very specific kind of replacement enemy that allows them to not reference shadow in forces at all.

Whether at Ian's Discretion or at Sega's direction. " Shadow wasn't there don't ask " seems to be how they want to play that. And at least in this comic, that's a pretty interesting retcon. Well if they ever elaborate on where shadow actually was, but I get the funny feeling that might be one of life's mysteries.

Which was unfortunately the start of his tenure here being bottoms.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I know I'm risking setting this topic on fire again, but I was thinking about Shadow.

Considering recent events I know where I would took his 'development'

Hide contents

Between his Phantom Fake, Zombie Shadow and now those Androids, people actually fear him. (I know not many people know about Diamond Cutters, but perhaps Shadow-Aindroids were weapon in war. Or maybe there could be a scene where Whisper in public act negatively towards him and people start getting ideas).

But twist, Shadow don't give a f@#$ what people think, just doing what he does and ignoring any hostilities towards him.

Except twist-twist (un-twist?) Shadow is just pretending. He is frustrated with situation, but doesn't even knows who to blame, so he's angry at himself, pushing his emotions down and himself to limits. And then someone has a little heart-to-heart with him and resolves it. Whisper would be surprisingly good choice since 1 being reserved she could notice emotions he's hiding. 2 She similarly blames herself for things that aren't her fault (death of her team) 

Are you suggesting Mephiles's prophecy is coming true?

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:
  Hide contents

I haven't read the issue but it honestly sounds less like it's a retcon and more like Eggman just has some left over Shadow Androids to me. 

Pretty much.

6 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I'm guessing the phantom ruby along with Infinite are off-limits, so that may the the reason, but the phantoms existed in IDW too, Sonic mentions fighting the illusion of Metal in Forces in issue 7. They just can't be used I guess?

That could explain Why

Hide contents

The android were used instead.

So yes, I think it's a way to dance around the mandates, but not really a retcon. And

Hide contents

Shadow was officially missing during the six months.

Though there's also the Hooligans, I don't think it's a retcon.

3 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I checked a playthrough of this myself and, from the sounds of it, Shadow did escape Infinite's illusion well before Sonic got jumped. There are some weird parts of this, like at the beginning of the Virtual Reality level, Rouge (illusion) mentions Omega was destroyed three months ago, but this is likely just Infinite messing with Shadow's head. Doesn't really sound like he had any hold on Shadow as far as I can tell. It's not clear how much time passed but it sounds like it was just a brief test (Infinite even says the power hasn't been tuned yet). Shadow just disappears for six months since Episode Shadow ends surprisingly early (cutting to Sonic's defeat).

I mean Forces was rewritten a number of times.

2 hours ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

Mr. Ominous Monkey Man in a cloak also intrigued me a bit. I was wondering what could have been going through his mind that whole time. Did he see the writing on the wall and just decided he wanted to go out with a crowd of people? Was it truly just that he didn't want to be alone? Was he going crazy? Guess I'll never know. I've never been in a Zombot Apocalypse so I don't entirely know how I'd act. I normally am rather fond of being alone but would I be in that situation? Perhaps not.

I think it was a girl actually.

And those refugees just poured in, with Vector's simultaneous arrival possibly distracting Gemerl.

One thing that definitely felt weird was the one page with the Deadly Six. The point where it cuts in makes little sense and the point where it shifts back to the Resistance HQ also felt strange. I'm not entirely sure what that was about as it didn't even cover anything we didn't already know. 

Probably because the following page ends with Vector and Espio showing up.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Why are the Shadow androids Orange and...not...red like the game?

It's based on both the Four Shadow Androids with guns for hands and the sole one that looks just like Shadow but with Orange stripes.

Gotta distinguish them somehow.

54 minutes ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

How is it that I just noticed that Charmy's got spikes on his gloves and shoes now. Like how the Werehog transformation magically gave Sonic kleetes. 

It's been doing that for a while.

35 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Charmy.

Oooh, that thing!

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I think it was a girl actually.

I don't think so. One clue is that the females in Sonic usually have drawn eyelashes. 

Probably because the following page ends with Vector and Espio showing up.

What does that have to do with how weird the sudden Deadly Six page interjection is? 

1 minute ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

I don't think so. One clue is that the females in Sonic usually have drawn eyelashes. 

Hm, I might've misseen that then.

What does that have to do with how weird the sudden Deadly Six page interjection is? 

Merely explaining why it's there over anywhere during the resulting breakout.

Merely explaining why it's there over anywhere during the resulting breakout.

I don't think that explains it. Why does it matter that Vector and Espio show up on the next page and how does it make the sudden shift to the Deadly Six to hear them talk about stuff we already know not weird? 

Just now, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

I don't think that explains it. Why does it matter that Vector and Espio show up on the next page and how does it make the sudden shift to the Deadly Six to hear them talk about stuff we already know not weird? 

Because Vector starts talking in the final panel of the page before, which segues into the reveal of Charmy, which [I think] segues into the breach, which ends with two named casualties, the ending of the previous issue, and the apparent setup for next issue. Can't really place their scene anywhere in that, from what I recall.

Because Vector starts talking in the final panel of the page before, which segues into the reveal of Charmy, which [I think] segues into the breach, which ends with two named casualties, the ending of the previous issue, and the apparent setup for next issue. Can't really place their scene anywhere in that, from what I recall.

No he doesn't. The panel of the page before the Deadly Six is Tails checking in with everyone.

Regardless, it's a full page of them talking about stuff we know they're already about to do just interjected in between everything and it's very weird. I'm not sure why it needed to be there at all. Just in case we didn't think the other Zeti weren't informed? 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

No he doesn't. The panel of the page before the Deadly Six is Tails checking in with everyone.

Oh, that's how the page before ends! I just remembered that the first panel afterwards is Amy sending Cream away.

Intersecting plotlines? Egh, honestly not sure.

Regardless, it's a full page of them talking about stuff we know they're already about to do just interjected in between everything and it's very weird. I'm not sure why it needed to be there at all. Just in case we didn't think the other Zeti weren't informed? 

Honestly, it kinda feels like a broken backup story counting down to whenever they show up. Which would ideally be soonish.

4 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I checked a playthrough of this myself and, from the sounds of it, Shadow did escape Infinite's illusion well before Sonic got jumped. There are some weird parts of this, like at the beginning of the Virtual Reality level, Rouge (illusion) mentions Omega was destroyed three months ago, but this is likely just Infinite messing with Shadow's head. Doesn't really sound like he had any hold on Shadow as far as I can tell. It's not clear how much time passed but it sounds like it was just a brief test (Infinite even says the power hasn't been tuned yet). Shadow just disappears for six months since Episode Shadow ends surprisingly early (cutting to Sonic's defeat).

Ok I'll admit I was mistaken. Still I don't think it's too unlikely that with how much he hates Shadow he'd capture him again. 

11 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Ok I'll admit I was mistaken. Still I don't think it's too unlikely that with how much he hates Shadow he'd capture him again. 

To be fair, capturing Shadow and locking him in a nightmare while creating a clone of him would have made a lot more sense, but Infinite isn't a smart villain.

So, from what I've heard about the Diamond Cutters, Slinger is an ocelot, Smithy is a lion, and Claire is a howler monkey. That gives us a psychic and a mini-gun toting giant on a team with an octopus with disguise powers, a wolf with a sniper rifle, and a revolver wielding ocelot. 

It's like they wanted to do an Metal Gear Solid reference but got cold feet part way through.

Additionally, between the "Froggy where are you?" speech bubble and his cameo on the B cover it seems like Big was supposed to debut in Issue 22, but his part got cut for some reason.

image.thumb.jpeg.e50022a4462aa2066d0212a2a6cb619a.jpeg

Also: Surprise! I'm not dead!