Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

20 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

So I guess it's confirmed that Sonic is still alive, and there is… only one place to go? Going by the scrapped plot draft Ian released, it's probably gonna be...

Hide contents

Sonic & Eggman VS Zavok so Lost Hex is the obvious choice.

Not sure where Starline fits into this, maybe he will be zombotified.

Speaking of scrapped plots anyone else feels like this narrative is booking it . They said it would last till next year, but it feels like they are just trying to race to the finish.

4 minutes ago, Soniman said:

All of this is bad and I hate it. Sega should keep their terrible character assassination ideas to the games and not ruin the comic with it via stupid mandates 

Yep. I mean they want their product consistent and I get that but , welp.

Someone said this was George Lucas -esque once. At the time i agreed. Now though I would call it Vince Mcmahon-esque.

29 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Gemerl going from kinda sarcastic and having a personality to generic robot speech is a disappointment. I guess it's more in line with his games self but I miss the sass.

From what I've seen Gemerl actually retains a bit of it, I think, but it's not like his Archie incarnation.

unknown.png

I get why Archie recycled Shard into Gemerl at the time though; he was liked well enough when Ian brought him back and his final appearance before the reboot was being destroyed so paying homage to Shard and giving his personality to a similar former Eggman robot made a lot of sense. Personally I would've liked to see it retained but at least what I've seen his mannerisms aren't entirely dull.

6 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

From what I've seen Gemerl actually retains a bit of it, I think, but it's not like his Archie incarnation.

unknown.png

I get why Archie recycled Shard into Gemerl at the time though; he was liked well enough when Ian brought him back and his final appearance before the reboot was being destroyed so paying homage to Shard and giving his personality to a similar former Eggman robot made a lot of sense. Personally I would've liked to see it retained but at least what I've seen his mannerisms aren't entirely dull.

‪Yeah he was a Shard retool and I really liked Shard So I didn't mind it since Gemerl was more or less a blank slate type character. I don't necessarily dislike the new direction, and if more examples like the one you gave come up in terms of wit there may be hope yet.‬

Honestly never got the deal with Gemerl in relation to Emerl and if they're the same, if he has his old memories (his resolve to destroy Sonic the infected says no), if this a completely new bot that's just based of Emerl or its a repurposed Emerl that lost all its pre Adv3 memories 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

We stay heated over Shadow in my house. Someone at SoA needs to save my son 

I hope someone is pushing for things at sega. I'm gonna leave it at that

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

unknown.png

It seems like IAN figured out how to write around it to some degree. Though I was never the biggest Gemeril fan in the first place so maybe hardcore fans feel differently. I lack the perspective here

4 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Honestly never got the deal with Gemerl in relation to Emerl and if they're the same, if he has his old memories (his resolve to destroy Sonic the infected says no), if this a completely new bot that's just based of Emerl or its a repurposed Emerl that lost all its pre Adv3 memories 

The way it's treated is more like he prioritizes Cream's safety above everything else. He only attacked Sonic because he was perceived as a threat. I think his memories are still there.

7 hours ago, Petrifying Panda said:
Spoiler

Sounds like Eggman, Starline, the Shapebots, and possibly Mimic are joining what remains of the heroes on Angel Island.

6 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

If there's only one place to hide as said there, I'm gonna guess it's the lost hex  

That would be a twist. :lol:

The biggest twist they could do is having the Deadly Six intentionally focus down Sonic to fully turn him. Having Eggman and the remaining resistance members forced to fight a Deadly Six controlled Zombot Sonic would be cool as hell. But j doubt it.

That could be great.

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

unknown.png

That is the most lovably awkward face I've ever seen Cream make, off the top of my head.

Anyway, Emerl was more or less like that in the later parts of Battle, so it makes sense for Gemerl to be as well under Cream's oversight.

5 hours ago, Soniman said:

‪Yeah he was a Shard retool and I really liked Shard So I didn't mind it since Gemerl was more or less a blank slate type character. I don't necessarily dislike the new direction, and if more examples like the one you gave come up in terms of wit there may be hope yet.‬

I wanna say it's simple a new robot built off what data Eggman and later Tails & Cream had from Emerl.

What exactly happened to Emerl anyway?

8 hours ago, Soniman said:

Gemerl going from kinda sarcastic and having a personality to generic robot speech is a disappointment. I guess it's more in line with his games self but I miss the sass.

In fairness, they do seem to be setting up for a character arc where Gemerl comes to better understand how organic beings think and feel. He may grow into something closer to his Archie incarnation as over time.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What exactly happened to Emerl anyway?

He overloaded on data from Eggman's super-weapon and went berserk. Sonic was forced to destroy him before he blew up Earth.

2 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

He overloaded on data from Eggman's super-weapon and went berserk. Sonic was forced to destroy him before he blew up Earth.

I know that much, but in what sense? 

44 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I know that much, but in what sense? 

The physical sense?

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

The physical sense?

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Did he blow up? Did he shut down? Was he Stardust Breaker'd? Was he lost to the vacuum of space?

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Did he blow up? Did he shut down? Was he Stardust Breaker'd? Was he lost to the vacuum of space?

Clearly he blew up, how else would Eggman rebuild him?

17 hours ago, Petrifying Panda said:

Gemerl has gone from a Shard to a subdued Omega.

It's a step in a better direction than when he debuted here anyway.

22 hours ago, Soniman said:

I haven't read the comics in months since I do so in chunks and buy the trades rather than collect them issue by issue so I'm kinda surprised this zombie arc is still going. 

I don't really get why some people are acting like this arc has been going on forever. Technically speaking while the first 4 issues of the year were setting up for it the actual apocalypse plot has only been running for 6 issues. 

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't really get why some people are acting like this arc has been going on forever. Technically speaking while the first 4 issues of the year were setting up for it the actual apocalypse plot has only been running for 6 issues. 

I’d imagine because the delays have caused it to feel longer.

• Thumbs Up 1

That cover is great, but what the heck’s wrong with Eggman’s head? It looks gigantic at the back and I can’t see his goggles.

It's still ten issues dedicated to this one dumb plot and it still feels like it's not even close to resolving. It just keeps piling on stuff to make it feel more "epic" and dramatic when it's just spinning its wheels.

Inb4 dude just stop reading

I feel like you have to take a long time to build up this idea of basically the entire world getting infected. This could have worked for a year's worth of stories, but the pacing is weird and it only feels like it's really picking up the pace lately. 

Overall I'm mixed on it, but I feel like this setup could have worked better under different circumstances. This legitimately would have been a better fit for archie with the bigger cast to play with and more of the world built up so that when it's torn down it would have been more disheartening. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Btw, enjoy that Tracey Yardley cover, because that will be his last contribution to the series for a little while iirc.

29 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I feel like you have to take a long time to build up this idea of basically the entire world getting infected. This could have worked for a year's worth of stories, but the pacing is weird and it only feels like it's really picking up the pace lately. 

Overall I'm mixed on it, but I feel like this setup could have worked better under different circumstances. This legitimately would have been a better fit for archie with the bigger cast to play with and more of the world built up so that when it's torn down it would have been more disheartening. 

It’s a better fit because it was originally designed for Archie. We know this was originally the scrapped plot for the Issue 300 milestone, meaning it would’ve came right after both the Shattered World Crisis, and the two planned arcs after Genesis of a Hero which would’ve seen Sonic, his friends, and the Freedom Fighters going their separate ways now that Eggman’s latest scheme was defeated. Meaning we would’ve had about 20 issues of cool down and buildup between Archie main series and Universe before going full blown with the Metal Virus arc.

I absolutely think this would’ve worked better in its original form, the world would’ve had about 50 issues of build-up, there’s a lot more SEGA cast and original characters to choose to get infected for a greater gut punch, and the locales would’ve been way more defined than just generic city, or village or what have you.

This story feels like something that was made with much more buildup in mind and got repurposed rather last minute.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Petrifying Panda said:

That cover is great, but what the heck’s wrong with Eggman’s head? It looks gigantic at the back and I can’t see his goggles.

Think she forgot to draw them in the cover.

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

We know this was originally the scrapped plot for the Issue 300 milestone

Actually, 300 was meant to be another Freedom Fighters vs Eggman “turning point” battle, with the virus stuff kicking off after.

2 hours ago, Petrifying Panda said:

I think the Logo is blocking them.