Dejimon11

7 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

New covers for issue 23!

516f7240a4761cd6891ad930a77dffe6a08f364d

420138cadbeb281fee36902f10a31ae61d492fbd

And Tails Channel did a cover comparison:

EHyepMGWsAIb-tH?format=jpg&name=large

Ohh how the tables have turned...

It's refreshing to see Mr. Yardley! do this again.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I don't really get why some people are acting like this arc has been going on forever. Technically speaking while the first 4 issues of the year were setting up for it the actual apocalypse plot has only been running for 6 issues. 

Really? Well doesn't that just hammer out droning a zombie story can be.

On 10/25/2019 at 8:00 AM, Wraith said:

We stay heated over Shadow in my house. Someone at SoA needs to save my son 

This is Shadow now, this is who he is :V

11 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

For a minute I legit thought the Zombot by Sonic's right foot was Blaze.

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

This is Shadow now, this is who he is :V

And here I thought he might be back on the right track after Forces.

I forgot, did Blaze go back to her own dimension after the first arc?

I was wondering because maybe her world could be a “safe zone” option?

1 hour ago, Petrifying Panda said:

I forgot, did Blaze go back to her own dimension after the first arc?

I was wondering because maybe her world could be a “safe zone” option?

Yes, she did. She figured Neo Metal was the bigger threat that the Sol Emeralds ignored the Phantom Ruby war for. 

I wish these RI covers were easier to reliably get ahold of. Sometimes they're in stock but sometimes they're not. I really want this cover of Eggman gloating over his win.

As for the ongoing subject of the arc and its length, it feels rather gratifying to have something with such an intense feeling and genuine care with regards to the character writing to look forward to each month. Its so easy for me to throw myself into their plight as the general empathy I have for this cast and its world actually has been more than enough to allow the full weight of the situation to affect me despite how early its been. 

I may not fully understand or agree with the grievances brought up here but I can at the very least empathize with not fully getting it. I can't say I'd have chosen to have 50 issues of something else happen before getting to this arc. I've read so many Sonic comics and have waited for so long between issues of several continuities at this point. Its significantly easier for me to care or worry about characters so long as the story and writing feels genuine.

General time spent can mean a lot but I've come to realise it won't mean a thing if its happening within a continuity you have no desire to be invested in. The old continiuty, its characters, and its setting just weren't the correct fit for me. I don't believe I'd have enjoyed it more than this no matter how long the set up was. 

I've wanted, for so long, a comic like this and I can still say with confidence thats its one of the best experiences I've ever had regarding a Sonic the Hedgehog story.

People may find it ridiculous to be so gushy and positive about it but I do genuinely believe this.

I have an intense amount of love for this book at this point and my one and only major complaint are the delays that keep me from experiencing even more.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I haven't actually said anything in a while, but that's mostly because I've mostly checked out of this arc. Its not that I think its bad but the lack of buildup and world building kind of makes it hard for me to invest in this.  I know everything that's happening is really bad and serious, but seeing a bunch of extras that I have no real emotional connection to isn't really doing anything for me. 

This arc is extremely mixed to me because it has a lot of things I like (The cast being put into an unfamiliar situation, and being forced to deal with it) and just things I don't care about (A zombie apocalypse arc with no real emotional attachment beyond just shock value). So overall I'm kind of "ehhh". I really do want to like this, but its lacking that little extra oomph for me to care. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who hasn't payed much attention to alternative Sonic media before IDW I feel like jumping into the Zombot Arc  this early would have worked better back in the 2000's, when I still had a clear idea of who these characters are supposed to be and what kind of world they occupy. As much as I felt Forces was a step in the right direction characterization-wise it still hasn't quite washed out the bad taste left in my mouth by the likes of Colors Sonic, Free Riders Shadow, Lost World Tails, or Boom Knuckles. With only twenty-two issues and the annual to go on I'm still largely relying on Ian's reputation and what little I've read of his Archie work to reassure me that these are the characters I know and love and, as the Shadow debacle makes clear, that's still no guarantee they'll be safe from SEGA's bullshit. The ambiguity created by the whole two-worlds nonsense and the IV drip rate of content (I don't know how long 20-some-odd pages is by comic book standards, but I often feel like the pacing would benefit from another 5-10 per issue) don't help matters either.

Overall I like it, but it could be better too.

4 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

As someone who hasn't payed much attention to alternative Sonic media before IDW I feel like jumping into the Zombot Arc  this early would have worked better back in the 2000's, when I still had a clear idea of who these characters are supposed to be and what kind of world they occupy.

the IV drip rate of content (I don't know how long 20-some-odd pages is by comic book standards, but I often feel like the pacing would benefit from another 5-10 per issue) don't help matters either.

These are important points as well.

I can barely contain my excitement. I keep making the time go by at work, imagining what this arc would be like as a game. 3D Sonic can't seem to have nice things anymore (at least not consistently) but I wish it could. 

8 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

The ambiguity created by the whole two-worlds nonsense and the IV drip rate of content (I don't know how long 20-some-odd pages is by comic book standards,

It's the standard length of a comic book. The only time they get extended is typically if there's a few bonus pages trying to advertise another series. For example, a few Marvel/DC/IDW books have an extra 5/10 pages showing a preview of Issue 1 of another comic. 

Other than that, the only time you get more is 48/50 page specials which are the Annuals, or occasionally - double-length issues for huge milestones, such as TMNT's 50th issue.

7 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy is so serious right now its cringey just like this plot.

But Cream's cookies were just right.

42 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

While I don't have a problem with the plot, I will say I always envisioned Amy as being too flighty to be believable in a leadership position. That said, I can't really think of anyone else in the cast who would be effective in leading a large organization either. Knuckles has the diligence but is too solitary; Shadow has the logical mind-set but is too ruthless; Sonic has the charisma but not the patience; Tails has the brains but not the confidence; the list goes on. Really the characters I can't immediately strike out are Vector (who I can't imagine leading The Restoration for free), Blaze (who has her own dimension to worry about), and some minor one-or-two-shot characters and like Shade and the GUN Commander. Everyone else lacks either the temperament or skill-set.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

6 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

While I don't have a problem with the plot, I will say I always envisioned Amy as being too flighty to be believable in a leadership position. That said, I can't really think of anyone else in the cast who would be effective in leading a large organization either. Knuckles has the diligence but is too solitary; Shadow has the logical mind-set but is too ruthless; Sonic has the charisma but not the patience; Tails has the brains but not the confidence; the list goes on. Really the characters I can't immediately strike out are Vector (who I can't imagine leading The Restoration for free), Blaze (who has her own dimension to worry about), and some minor one-or-two-shot characters and like Shade and the GUN Commander. Everyone else lacks either the temperament or skill-set.

You know, some people say Tangle in "new Sally", but I think it's more like she's "new Amy", while Amy is new Sally.
Tangle is a civil-join-heroes, very emotional and hyper-fangirl over heroes.
Amy is smart leader that acknowledges how hard her job is, with vague romance on Sonic.
Strange, isn't it?

With that said, maybe that's the point. Amy was always very emotional. She learned how to be more cool-headed, but it seems like it's exhausting for her. I really think Flynn should introduce 2-in-command to her, who'll eventually take over, keeping Restoration still existing, but much less important that it is right now.
Jewel would actually be a good candidate. She's well organized and likes helping people, but doesn't want to fight on the front line. Plus it would be good way for her to stick around, without coming back to her town.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I definitely got the impression Ian kinda morphed Amy into Sally since he can't use her given her penchant for making plans and giving orders. Though it's less his fault and more Sega for giving her that role in Forces to begin with (technically Knuckles was the leader but he was very bad at it). Still overall like her character tbh least it shows some growth on her part rather than just be a hanger on for Sonic 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't call Amy "cringy", but she's certainly not as plucky and upbeat as she usually is. Granted, the situation they're in is incredibly shit so there's that. But she's definitely more subdued and lower key.

I'm on the fence if that's a good change or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

Tbf with their world the way it is right now, she doesn’t have much to be plucky and upbeat about.

“Cheer up guys! There’s no way we’re gonna let this zombot apocalypse beat us!”

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Petrifying Panda said:

Is Sonic suppose to be saying this?

14 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Amy. I’m emphasising how unlikely it would be for her to be enthusiastic in this situation.

This comic misses the key features of Amy and treats them like a unimportant side trait and I still don't get the idea why Amy needs to grow. 

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

This comic misses the key features of Amy and treats them like a unimportant side trait and I still don't get the idea why Amy needs to grow. 

The Adventure games do play on the idea that Amy's infatuation with Sonic stems largely from her desire to be a hero like he is and, much like Tails, her character arc deals with her maturing and becoming a hero in her own right. Amy 's role in the comic though does seem to fit more with Boom counterpart, who more or less subsumed Knuckles' role as the stubborn, proud, focused, hard-working, and responsible member of the team (on top of stealing his treasure hunter gimmick).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:40 AM, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

New covers for issue 23!

420138cadbeb281fee36902f10a31ae61d492fbd

And Tails Channel did a cover comparison:

EHyepMGWsAIb-tH?format=jpg&name=large

Ohh how the tables have turned...

Dr. Eggman is like: "who's laughing now, Sonic?"

14 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

Vector would totally do it for free. At least if he's written correctly. Its written in a few of his character bios that he always helps people in need for free, something that understandably makes it so that the Agency can sometimes be hard to keep cash. Also, Ian agrees with that sentiment too. He would have picked Vector. He gave the reasons as to why it was Amy and the ideas for exploring how stressful the position is going to be for her but I can only paraphrase it here due to it being talked about so long ago. This Amy thing keeps getting brought up for some reason.

5 hours ago, Soniman said:

Yeah I definitely got the impression Ian kinda morphed Amy into Sally since he can't use her given her penchant for making plans and giving orders. Though it's less his fault and more Sega for giving her that role in Forces to begin with (technically Knuckles was the leader but he was very bad at it). Still overall like her character tbh least it shows some growth on her part rather than just be a hanger on for Sonic 

Now, I CAN assure you that he definitely isn't thinking her as a replacement Sally though. Whether or not she comes off as that is up to you of course. I do still find Amy a lot more approachable and bubbly than Sally in this book but I do find myself desiring more of a chance to see her the way she was in Issue 2 again, however, the context of the situation makes it fine. I get that the point is that the situation has granted her maturity. We've gotten signs in the comic that her regular personality isn't gone. It's just on hold due to the intense situation and I'm cool with it.

4 hours ago, StaticMania said:

"Hey guys. Cheer up. Just look at me and how totally not miserable I am..."

JA7zYY5oWgyhD7FHdxBJULINm-gACWLM8pRCL8kOfiiSBmEZyoTBjLFD7yc9lB23PikhofpG4PavPCbEw0se3AJB1hZqSkHWJaqd3-XEtTAXzLG1igBz9DdRQ5Q4lL2_2NOVbYfHIjSdgRyL63yxusnJSQw-VJzZDt2JsruxYKbreU4ChpziMbsgtHEPeyA0E1kL40Y4mepfT1gD9Ni-sAGnIr_YgEdnJfC-BE3J_WWVvrqME7QEmBfdtUiCQTBt2KAloXqoOZv9D6nDisAUx4-z5EB19O7Op-Ww8fwXamx6lBtYwdwzS0CmIFzsZwesO-pjZMprrX-PbKI3fb4bhOhwZUlcAAEtjkEDNjydcIKiRtyGW987Li4V3rMsGWY7wx48VDlu7_FmaXqlOEnB1Ghr

"The sky with stars so bright... the colors feel so...megh... I've never felt like this I keep on... keep on... I need a nap..."

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, Petrifying Panda said:

Tbf with their world the way it is right now, she doesn’t have much to be plucky and upbeat about.

Cheering people up when they're down IS Amy's thing though, so it's not really out of character.

Which is why I'm on the fence about the change until I see where it goes. 

• Thumbs Up 1