Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Covers are so non-representative.

It'd be cool if it was.

It is in this case. It was becoming apparent in issue 20 that Sonic’s health was starting to deteriorate with the severe lack of sleep and rest he’s currently getting.

I was a little shady toward the main book in my last post so I'll say it was good this week. Eye roll inducing with the straight play of the zombie trope again, but it gets to the heart of who the characters are. It's also been a bit more tense these past few issues where it's just been side characters and it's a little less obvious who's getting got. I liked seeing basically every character go into mama bear mode for either Charmy or Creams sake respectively. Vecter's sacrifice is good and endeared me on this version of the character. Felt true to him and not like a contrivance. 

On the whole I feel like the main book is lacking the punch of T&W but it's getting better. I could see this being the opposite of the last arc. The build up is a little so-so and meandering but the ending is good. That cover of Sonic finally getting tired and burning out has me excited. I was wondering if we were ever gonna get there. 

The Zombots have new masters. Gee I wonder if it's those guys that can control robots. Starline you really should have read the report on the Lost World Project more thoroughly.

Loving Evan’s front cover, she is my favourite IDW artist at the moment. I hope she comes back to do more interior pages after Tangle & Whisper mini-series is done.

Issue 25’s solicit is interesting. I wonder who else might fall in the next 2 issues to lead to such a scenario. My other half reckons pretty much every hero except Sonic will be toast by then.

If there's only one place to hide as said there, I'm gonna guess it's the lost hex or Angel Island. 

Also taking a guess that either the big Issue 25 twist will be the Deadly Six taking control and using the zombots to turn Eggman and Starline meaning they lose the only person who knows the properties of the virus, or Eggman is forced to grovel and join Sonic to combat the virus.

The biggest twist they could do is having the Deadly Six intentionally focus down Sonic to fully turn him. Having Eggman and the remaining resistance members forced to fight a Deadly Six controlled Zombot Sonic would be cool as hell. But j doubt it.

I haven't read the comics in months since I do so in chunks and buy the trades rather than collect them issue by issue so I'm kinda surprised this zombie arc is still going. Guess delays will do that. I remain interested in the dark tone and stakes and the toll the whole thing is putting on Sonic but the Archie Fan in me has two complaints.

Gemerl going from kinda sarcastic and having a personality to generic robot speech is a disappointment. I guess it's more in line with his games self but I miss the sass.

Omega and Shadow are way jerkier. Yeah I know theyre anti heroes but Omega was a walking arsenal that still had SOME humanity and good moments with his team. Now he's just the arsenal, willing to destroy Shadow the instant he turns (I'm not saying he WOULDNT eventually, it's the no hesitation that bothers me), and let's himself get almost destroyed instead of retreat. Like Omega is not an idiot and would have basic self preservation so that just felt a dumb move to write him doing 

Shadow himself has a waaay bigger ego with no tender moments to really balance it out, not with his team or anyone else really. Let's not mention his monumentally STUPID moment of how he got zombified. That better lead to some character development where he learns to get over himself when he's back to normal because as of now it's just face palm worthy lol

Honestly I just feel sorry for Rouge because I get the impression she's the only one even trying to hold this team together 

So I guess it's confirmed that Sonic is still alive, and there is… only one place to go? Going by the scrapped plot draft Ian released, it's probably gonna be...

Spoiler

Sonic & Eggman VS Zavok so Lost Hex is the obvious choice.

Not sure where Starline fits into this, maybe he will be zombotified.

24 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I haven't read the comics in month since I do so in chunks and buy the trades rather than collect them issue by issue so I'm kinda surprised this zombie arc is still going. Guess delays will do that. I remain interested in the dark tone and stakes and the toll the whole thing is putting on Sonic but the Archie Fan in me has two complaints.

Gemerl going from kinda sarcastic and having a personality to generic robot speech is a disappointment. I guess it's more in line with his games self but I miss the sass.

Omega and Shadow are way jerkier. Yeah I know theyre anti heroes but Omega was a walking arsenal that still had SOME humanity and good moments with his team. Now he's just the arsenal, willing to destroy Shadow the instant he turns (I'm not saying he WOULDNT eventually, it's the no hesitation that bothers me), and let's himself get almost destroyed instead of retreat.

Shadow himself has a waaay bigger ego with no tender moments to really balance it out, not with his team or anyone else really. Let's not mention his monumentally STUPID moment of how he hot zombified. That better lead to some character development where he learns to get over himself when he's back to normal because as of now it's just face palm worthy lol

Honestly I just feel sorry for Rouge because I get the impression she's the only one even trying to hold this team together 

Uh... So I got some news.

Shadow is that way because sega wants him to be that way , and the whole arc is revolving around a decision that after of this fuckery will in fact reinforce his entirely new personality. And While I can't vouch for if they care about omega, team dark isn't really a team, shadow keeps them around because they are useful. So omega doesn't care, and shadow's a dick. And rouge isn't holding anything together because they are not a team that's what sega wants.

Its only sadness here. So unless sega decides to not, this is what you got

Just now, Shadowlax said:

Uh... So I got some news.

Shadow is that way because sega wants him to be that way , and the whole arc is revolving around a decision that after of this fuckery will in fact reinforce his entirely new personality. And While I can't vouch for if they care about omega, team dark isn't really a team, shadow keeps them around because they are useful. So omega doesn't care, and shadow's a dick. And rouge isn't holding anything together because that's what sega wants.

Its only sadness here. So unless sega decides to not, this is what you got

All of this is bad and I hate it. Sega should keep their terrible character assassination ideas to the games and not ruin the comic with it via stupid mandates 

20 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

So I guess it's confirmed that Sonic is still alive, and there is… only one place to go? Going by the scrapped plot draft Ian released, it's probably gonna be...

Hide contents

Sonic & Eggman VS Zavok so Lost Hex is the obvious choice.

Not sure where Starline fits into this, maybe he will be zombotified.

Speaking of scrapped plots anyone else feels like this narrative is booking it . They said it would last till next year, but it feels like they are just trying to race to the finish.

4 minutes ago, Soniman said:

All of this is bad and I hate it. Sega should keep their terrible character assassination ideas to the games and not ruin the comic with it via stupid mandates 

Yep. I mean they want their product consistent and I get that but , welp.

Someone said this was George Lucas -esque once. At the time i agreed. Now though I would call it Vince Mcmahon-esque.

29 minutes ago, Soniman said:

From what I've seen Gemerl actually retains a bit of it, I think, but it's not like his Archie incarnation.

unknown.png

I get why Archie recycled Shard into Gemerl at the time though; he was liked well enough when Ian brought him back and his final appearance before the reboot was being destroyed so paying homage to Shard and giving his personality to a similar former Eggman robot made a lot of sense. Personally I would've liked to see it retained but at least what I've seen his mannerisms aren't entirely dull.

6 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

From what I've seen Gemerl actually retains a bit of it, I think, but it's not like his Archie incarnation.

unknown.png

I get why Archie recycled Shard into Gemerl at the time though; he was liked well enough when Ian brought him back and his final appearance before the reboot was being destroyed so paying homage to Shard and giving his personality to a similar former Eggman robot made a lot of sense. Personally I would've liked to see it retained but at least what I've seen his mannerisms aren't entirely dull.

‪Yeah he was a Shard retool and I really liked Shard So I didn't mind it since Gemerl was more or less a blank slate type character. I don't necessarily dislike the new direction, and if more examples like the one you gave come up in terms of wit there may be hope yet.‬

Honestly never got the deal with Gemerl in relation to Emerl and if they're the same, if he has his old memories (his resolve to destroy Sonic the infected says no), if this a completely new bot that's just based of Emerl or its a repurposed Emerl that lost all its pre Adv3 memories 

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

We stay heated over Shadow in my house. Someone at SoA needs to save my son 

I hope someone is pushing for things at sega. I'm gonna leave it at that

2 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

unknown.png

It seems like IAN figured out how to write around it to some degree. Though I was never the biggest Gemeril fan in the first place so maybe hardcore fans feel differently. I lack the perspective here

4 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Honestly never got the deal with Gemerl in relation to Emerl and if they're the same, if he has his old memories (his resolve to destroy Sonic the infected says no), if this a completely new bot that's just based of Emerl or its a repurposed Emerl that lost all its pre Adv3 memories 

The way it's treated is more like he prioritizes Cream's safety above everything else. He only attacked Sonic because he was perceived as a threat. I think his memories are still there.