Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Issue 22 was good in my opinion. The Vector thing surprised the heck out of me.

For someone who grew up with the George A Romero Living Dead movies this arc is a real treat. It's full of little nods to those movies. I know it won't go on forever but I'm in no hurry to see it conclude just yet.

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Cheering people up when they're down IS Amy's thing though, so it's not really out of character.

Which is why I'm on the fence about the change until I see where it goes. 

The idea that the zombot apocalypse is so bad that even Amy has lost the will to look on the bright side could be an interesting way to look at it.

• Thumbs Up 2

She hasn't really had many one on one time with others, and I like that as of the newest issue the exhaustion's been hitting her is pretty interesting to me. A character who usually (tries to) cheer people up needing to be cheered up sometimes isn't a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

You know, some people say Tangle in "new Sally", but I think it's more like she's "new Amy", while Amy is new Sally.
Tangle is a civil-join-heroes, very emotional and hyper-fangirl over heroes.
Amy is smart leader that acknowledges how hard her job is, with vague romance on Sonic.
Strange, isn't it?

With that said, maybe that's the point. Amy was always very emotional. She learned how to be more cool-headed, but it seems like it's exhausting for her. 

Bringing that up again, eh?

But, yeah. I'm surprised it took this long for anyone to draw that  other conclusion.

8 hours ago, Soniman said:

Yeah I definitely got the impression Ian kinda morphed Amy into Sally since he can't use her given her penchant for making plans and giving orders. Though it's less his fault and more Sega for giving her that role in Forces to begin with (technically Knuckles was the leader but he was very bad at it). 

Technically, Knuckles was a Commander while Amy was Tech Support for some reason.

5 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

This comic misses the key features of Amy and treats them like a unimportant side trait and I still don't get the idea why Amy needs to grow. 

Amy started out as a joke character who chased Sonic around like the lovesick fangirl and that's been the baseline for most of her appearances. Some want there to be a little more to her than that, particularly when Sonic isn't around and the time isn't right.

4 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

The Adventure games do play on the idea that Amy's infatuation with Sonic stems largely from her desire to be a hero like he is and, much like Tails, her character arc deals with her maturing and becoming a hero in her own right. Amy 's role in the comic though does seem to fit more with Boom counterpart, who more or less subsumed Knuckles' role as the stubborn, proud, focused, hard-working, and responsible member of the team(on top of stealing his treasure hunter gimmick).

Uh, archeology, but whatever.

3 hours ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

isAUx4-z5EB19O7Op-Ww8fwXamx6lBtYwdwzS0CmIFzsZwesO-pjZMprrX-PbKI3fb4bhOhwZUlcAAEtjkEDNjydcIKiRtyGW987Li4V3rMsGWY7wx48VDlu7_FmaXqlOEnB1Ghr

that last one looks like a reaction image.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Cheering people up when they're down IS Amy's thing though, so it's not really out of character.

Which is why I'm on the fence about the change until I see where it goes. 

1 hour ago, Petrifying Panda said:

The idea that the zombot apocalypse is so bad that even Amy has lost the will to look on the bright side could be an interesting way to look at it.

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

She hasn't really had many one on one time with others, and I like that as of the newest issue the exhaustion's been hitting her is pretty interesting to me. A character who usually (tries to) cheer people up needing to be cheered up sometimes isn't a bad thing.

It's hard to tell people everything will be okay when almost all the efforts made under your watch haven't been so.

Edited by Zaysho

Finally got a new laptop computer after YEARS of not having one. So I can work on artwork agains. And I can post here and read issues again. With all that said.. HOLY CRAP this arc is insane. I see what Ian meant when he said he got away with alot this time. I'm calling super sonic curing himself tho. I like how ruthless Eggman is with the metal virus. I actually feel bad for the cast.. which is insane. Tho we all know Sonic's gonna save the day. It's just HOW is the question. So far so good tho, loving how this arc is playing out. And random question about sonic ingeneral. Anyone notice how Sonic stories tend to lean abit darker then they should? Like in all media too, maybe it's just me but they tend to slide more darker then most. I don't mean everything's grim dark.. but for the most part I think alot of the sonic stuff is around PG-13 at times. I guess it's mostly due to it being an action series/ scifi at heart so Sonic plays with a lot of deeper themes. Tho that last point is more true for everything but the games but yeah. 

56 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Amy started out as a joke character who chased Sonic around like the lovesick fangirl and that's been the baseline for most of her appearances. Some want there to be a little more to her than that, particularly when Sonic isn't around and the time isn't right.

I strongly disagree with this having a big crush on someone doesn't make you a joke character or person. 

3 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I strongly disagree with this having a big crush on someone doesn't make you a joke character or person. 

Amy was a joke character in the sense that she was a random little girl who would just show up like it's nothing and have little to do with anything else.

Even though Tails lost his lab, I'm wondering if he can use Sonic's running data and Gemerl's abilities to make a cure.

I'm also wondering if Angel Island is the only place uninfected...for now

Not to mention she fights with a squeaky toy hammer and frequently pulls extra abilities out of her ass, including whatever this shit is.

Also, if the Diamond Cutters had 5 members, why does Whisper have 6 Wisps?

Is the last one a last resort?

Thinking; IDW's shadow's problem is that he never has actually had a story... about him. Every story he's in is either focused or about someone else. While I don't think it would win everyone over. I think this shadow might turn some people around , if he was in a story that was just...kind of about him. So we get to know this new shadow.

38 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Every Sonic character has random unexplained abilities. Remember when Vector could just breathe fire?

That may be reference to inappropriate use of an alcoholic beverage

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Even though Tails lost his lab, I'm wondering if he can use Sonic's running data and Gemerl's abilities to make a cure.

I'm also wondering if Angel Island is the only place uninfected...for now

I mean some of the zombies know how to fly right?

37 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Every Sonic character has random unexplained abilities. Remember when Vector could just breathe fire?

The distinction there is that it's a set ability he happened to have in his introduction and has used at least once since.

Amy is the ur example of having new powers as the plot(well, maybe not plot) demands because they are often inexplicable and subsequently inconsistent with each other.

1 hour ago, Remynaka said:

Finally got a new laptop computer after YEARS of not having one. So I can work on artwork agains. And I can post here and read issues again. With all that said.. HOLY CRAP this arc is insane. I see what Ian meant when he said he got away with alot this time. I'm calling super sonic curing himself tho. I like how ruthless Eggman is with the metal virus. I actually feel bad for the cast.. which is insane. Tho we all know Sonic's gonna save the day. It's just HOW is the question. So far so good tho, loving how this arc is playing out. And random question about sonic ingeneral. Anyone notice how Sonic stories tend to lean abit darker then they should? Like in all media too, maybe it's just me but they tend to slide more darker then most. I don't mean everything's grim dark.. but for the most part I think alot of the sonic stuff is around PG-13 at times. I guess it's mostly due to it being an action series/ scifi at heart so Sonic plays with a lot of deeper themes. Tho that last point is more true for everything but the games but yeah. 

FFXIV!

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

He's a Drago-dile.

A Crocogon.

21 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The distinction there is that it's a set ability he happened to have in his introduction and has used at least once since.

Amy is the ur example of having new powers as the plot(well, maybe not plot) demands because they are often inexplicable and subsequently inconsistent with each other.

They're moveset filler. That's all they need to be. Just like Vector's fire breath, Big's ability to summon frogs from the sky, or the ability to stop time everybody got in SA2. Heck, I'm pretty sure like half the cast can Spin Dash even though that's not supposed to be a universal move.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Big's ability to summon frogs from the sky, or the ability to stop time everybody got in SA2. 

He WUT?!

1 minute ago, thumbs13 said:

It was one of his special moves in Chronicles, pretty sure.

The shit...?

Oh wait, you said Chronicles.

11 minutes ago, Remynaka said:

LOL I was noticed. FFXIV stole my soul man. Miqo for life.

Au Ra dude

get ready for 5.1

56 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

They're moveset filler. That's all they need to be. Just like Vector's fire breath, Big's ability to summon frogs from the sky, or the ability to stop time everybody got in SA2. Heck, I'm pretty sure like half the cast can Spin Dash even though that's not supposed to be a universal move.

to be fair the kinda stopped the last one

9 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Au Ra dude

get ready for 5.1

to be fair the kinda stopped the last one

LOL. The raids man. THE RAIDS XD. Back on topic tho... I want issue 23 now. Think Sonic will try to infect Eggman? 

7 minutes ago, Remynaka said:

Think Sonic will try to infect Eggman? 

Ohhoho wow, that's a hardcore twist. Though arguably second nature.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Ohhoho wow, that's a hardcore twist. Though arguably second nature.

I mean one of the covers has Sonic literally charging at Eggman with the craziest shock/pissed face I've seen Sonic have xD. It's currently my BG on my S10 plus now. The cover with just their faces on it. I'mma try to find a linko

Sonic vs Eggmans

• Thumbs Up 2