Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

7 hours ago, Petrifying Panda said:
Spoiler

Sounds like Eggman, Starline, the Shapebots, and possibly Mimic are joining what remains of the heroes on Angel Island.

6 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

If there's only one place to hide as said there, I'm gonna guess it's the lost hex  

That would be a twist. :lol:

The biggest twist they could do is having the Deadly Six intentionally focus down Sonic to fully turn him. Having Eggman and the remaining resistance members forced to fight a Deadly Six controlled Zombot Sonic would be cool as hell. But j doubt it.

That could be great.

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

From what I've seen Gemerl actually retains a bit of it, I think, but it's not like his Archie incarnation.

unknown.png

I get why Archie recycled Shard into Gemerl at the time though; he was liked well enough when Ian brought him back and his final appearance before the reboot was being destroyed so paying homage to Shard and giving his personality to a similar former Eggman robot made a lot of sense. Personally I would've liked to see it retained but at least what I've seen his mannerisms aren't entirely dull.

That is the most lovably awkward face I've ever seen Cream make, off the top of my head.

Anyway, Emerl was more or less like that in the later parts of Battle, so it makes sense for Gemerl to be as well under Cream's oversight.

5 hours ago, Soniman said:

‪Yeah he was a Shard retool and I really liked Shard So I didn't mind it since Gemerl was more or less a blank slate type character. I don't necessarily dislike the new direction, and if more examples like the one you gave come up in terms of wit there may be hope yet.‬

Honestly never got the deal with Gemerl in relation to Emerl and if they're the same, if he has his old memories (his resolve to destroy Sonic the infected says no), if this a completely new bot that's just based of Emerl or its a repurposed Emerl that lost all its pre Adv3 memories 

I wanna say it's simple a new robot built off what data Eggman and later Tails & Cream had from Emerl.

What exactly happened to Emerl anyway?

8 hours ago, Soniman said:

Gemerl going from kinda sarcastic and having a personality to generic robot speech is a disappointment. I guess it's more in line with his games self but I miss the sass.

In fairness, they do seem to be setting up for a character arc where Gemerl comes to better understand how organic beings think and feel. He may grow into something closer to his Archie incarnation as over time.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What exactly happened to Emerl anyway?

He overloaded on data from Eggman's super-weapon and went berserk. Sonic was forced to destroy him before he blew up Earth.

2 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

He overloaded on data from Eggman's super-weapon and went berserk. Sonic was forced to destroy him before he blew up Earth.

I know that much, but in what sense? 

22 hours ago, Soniman said:

I haven't read the comics in months since I do so in chunks and buy the trades rather than collect them issue by issue so I'm kinda surprised this zombie arc is still going. 

I don't really get why some people are acting like this arc has been going on forever. Technically speaking while the first 4 issues of the year were setting up for it the actual apocalypse plot has only been running for 6 issues. 

5 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't really get why some people are acting like this arc has been going on forever. Technically speaking while the first 4 issues of the year were setting up for it the actual apocalypse plot has only been running for 6 issues. 

I’d imagine because the delays have caused it to feel longer.

It's still ten issues dedicated to this one dumb plot and it still feels like it's not even close to resolving. It just keeps piling on stuff to make it feel more "epic" and dramatic when it's just spinning its wheels.

Inb4 dude just stop reading

I feel like you have to take a long time to build up this idea of basically the entire world getting infected. This could have worked for a year's worth of stories, but the pacing is weird and it only feels like it's really picking up the pace lately. 

Overall I'm mixed on it, but I feel like this setup could have worked better under different circumstances. This legitimately would have been a better fit for archie with the bigger cast to play with and more of the world built up so that when it's torn down it would have been more disheartening. 

29 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I feel like you have to take a long time to build up this idea of basically the entire world getting infected. This could have worked for a year's worth of stories, but the pacing is weird and it only feels like it's really picking up the pace lately. 

Overall I'm mixed on it, but I feel like this setup could have worked better under different circumstances. This legitimately would have been a better fit for archie with the bigger cast to play with and more of the world built up so that when it's torn down it would have been more disheartening. 

It’s a better fit because it was originally designed for Archie. We know this was originally the scrapped plot for the Issue 300 milestone, meaning it would’ve came right after both the Shattered World Crisis, and the two planned arcs after Genesis of a Hero which would’ve seen Sonic, his friends, and the Freedom Fighters going their separate ways now that Eggman’s latest scheme was defeated. Meaning we would’ve had about 20 issues of cool down and buildup between Archie main series and Universe before going full blown with the Metal Virus arc.

I absolutely think this would’ve worked better in its original form, the world would’ve had about 50 issues of build-up, there’s a lot more SEGA cast and original characters to choose to get infected for a greater gut punch, and the locales would’ve been way more defined than just generic city, or village or what have you.

This story feels like something that was made with much more buildup in mind and got repurposed rather last minute.

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

We know this was originally the scrapped plot for the Issue 300 milestone

Actually, 300 was meant to be another Freedom Fighters vs Eggman “turning point” battle, with the virus stuff kicking off after.

7 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

New covers for issue 23!

516f7240a4761cd6891ad930a77dffe6a08f364d

420138cadbeb281fee36902f10a31ae61d492fbd

And Tails Channel did a cover comparison:

EHyepMGWsAIb-tH?format=jpg&name=large

Ohh how the tables have turned...

It's refreshing to see Mr. Yardley! do this again.

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Really? Well doesn't that just hammer out droning a zombie story can be.

11 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

516f7240a4761cd6891ad930a77dffe6a08f364d

For a minute I legit thought the Zombot by Sonic's right foot was Blaze.

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

This is Shadow now, this is who he is :V

And here I thought he might be back on the right track after Forces.

1 hour ago, Petrifying Panda said:

I forgot, did Blaze go back to her own dimension after the first arc?

I was wondering because maybe her world could be a “safe zone” option?

Yes, she did. She figured Neo Metal was the bigger threat that the Sol Emeralds ignored the Phantom Ruby war for. 

I wish these RI covers were easier to reliably get ahold of. Sometimes they're in stock but sometimes they're not. I really want this cover of Eggman gloating over his win.

As for the ongoing subject of the arc and its length, it feels rather gratifying to have something with such an intense feeling and genuine care with regards to the character writing to look forward to each month. Its so easy for me to throw myself into their plight as the general empathy I have for this cast and its world actually has been more than enough to allow the full weight of the situation to affect me despite how early its been. 

I may not fully understand or agree with the grievances brought up here but I can at the very least empathize with not fully getting it. I can't say I'd have chosen to have 50 issues of something else happen before getting to this arc. I've read so many Sonic comics and have waited for so long between issues of several continuities at this point. Its significantly easier for me to care or worry about characters so long as the story and writing feels genuine.

General time spent can mean a lot but I've come to realise it won't mean a thing if its happening within a continuity you have no desire to be invested in. The old continiuty, its characters, and its setting just weren't the correct fit for me. I don't believe I'd have enjoyed it more than this no matter how long the set up was. 

I've wanted, for so long, a comic like this and I can still say with confidence thats its one of the best experiences I've ever had regarding a Sonic the Hedgehog story.

People may find it ridiculous to be so gushy and positive about it but I do genuinely believe this.

I have an intense amount of love for this book at this point and my one and only major complaint are the delays that keep me from experiencing even more.

I haven't actually said anything in a while, but that's mostly because I've mostly checked out of this arc. Its not that I think its bad but the lack of buildup and world building kind of makes it hard for me to invest in this.  I know everything that's happening is really bad and serious, but seeing a bunch of extras that I have no real emotional connection to isn't really doing anything for me. 

This arc is extremely mixed to me because it has a lot of things I like (The cast being put into an unfamiliar situation, and being forced to deal with it) and just things I don't care about (A zombie apocalypse arc with no real emotional attachment beyond just shock value). So overall I'm kind of "ehhh". I really do want to like this, but its lacking that little extra oomph for me to care.