Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

There's nothing interesting coming out of it.

#1.) Potential Final Boss Zombot Sonic.

#2.) Potential Final Boss Infected-Hero Zombot Horde

#3.) Combination of 1 and 2.

That's something that almost everyone would look forward to. You don't agree?

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

#1.) Potential Final Boss Zombot Sonic.

Evil sonic as a premise has never been interesting to me outside of one scenario. Scourge. Because its sonic with his personality twisted in a way that's bad. A sonic that has no personality or no autonomy just ...hitting things is uninteresting.

If the zombies were like MK zombies where they undead assholes who embodied the worst parts of a persons personalities and desires, I would be down. But they just growl. Who gives a shit about that.

#2.) Potential Final Boss Infected-Hero Zombot Horde

#3.) Combination of 1 and 2.

Read response to one

That's something that almost everyone would look forward to. You don't agree?

Nah

Shits wack, Shit was wack from conception.

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Evil sonic as a premise has never been interesting to me outside of one scenario. Scourge. Because its sonic with his personality twisted in a way that's bad. A sonic that has no personality or no autonomy just ...hitting things is uninteresting.

If the zombies were like MK zombies where they undead assholes who embodied the worst parts of a persons personalities and desires, I would be down. But they just growl. Who gives a shit about that.

Good thing this has less to do with making an "Evil Sonic" and more about skirting the status quo in a comic where Sonic isn't allowed to "lose".

I think your in the tiny minority of people who wouldn't want to see this arc end up with a 100% zombot Sonic, if even only for a little bit. That would be significant. People would give shit about that.

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Shits wack, Shit was wack from conception.

You're free to your interpretation... but it really feels like your cutting off your nose to spite your face.

7 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Good thing this has less to do with making an "Evil Sonic" and more about skirting the status quo in a comic where Sonic isn't allowed to "lose".

So the interesting thing about sonic loosing isn't about him loosing. Its about what he does with that, and this doesn't really characterize sonic different enough to make that interesting.

The only potential thing that could come out of sonic loosing that would be mildly interesting , is shadow being upset about the whole murder thing. But even then, does sonic change? No, a lot of these characters can't change. So hinging your entire narrative on a value judgement like that is stupid in the first place, there's nothing new that can be explored because they are stagnant. So the only interesting thing that could have come out of this story has been rendered moot by the IP holder.

He's just tired, and ...ok cool You could have wrote a story where he doesn't rest for a while. Why we need zombies for that. Congratulations sonic boom told that story better. Neat

I think your in the tiny minority of people who wouldn't want to see this arc end up with a 100% zombot Sonic, if even only for a little bit. That would be significant. People would give shit about that.

If you think that, believe what you want.

You're free to your interpretation... but it really feels like your cutting off your nose to spite your face.

No I've read stories before and this was uninteresting from jump. Ian flynn sometimes wants to tell stories so much for so long that its not really worth it in end. This is one of those situations where taking the L on this story and just doing some less dramatic stuff probably would have been better

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

So the interesting thing about sonic loosing isn't about him loosing. Its about what he does with that, and this doesn't really characterize sonic different enough to make that interesting.

He's just tired, and ...ok cool You could have wrote a story where he doesn't rest for a while. Why we need zombies for that. Congratulations sonic boom told that story better. Neat

I guess you missed the part where Sonic is kicking himself for not being able to do enough to help his friends or actually stressing over not losing the next one off the checklist. He's second guessed himself several times already.

Its doing quite a bit of that. Characterization in the face of Sonic on the losing end. And every ally that falls and the closer we get to the finale, that's only going to weigh on him more and more. Its only going to make him more desperate and more introspective.

The beautiful thing about Zombie stories is that every loss for the heroes is a potential net gain for the enemy. Robotization is an an essence has always been a zombie proxy. Not only does this arc bring that to the forefront, but it runs with it.

If you think that, believe what you want.

Fans who enjoy watching Sonic suffer is kind of a running gag in the fandom.

I feel confident in saying that what I want to believe is also the prevailing mainstream opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Sega DogTagz said:

I guess you missed the part where Sonic is kicking himself for not being able to do enough to help his friends or actually stressing over not losing the next one off the checklist. He's second guessed himself several times already.

If it results in something more meaningful than " Dang . I kind of messed up " i'll say it did something... until then.... eh? Everyone messes up, its what you do about it its how people react to it that make it interesting. And sonic's stagnant so he can't do anything about it and the only other person who has any meaningful reaction to it was zombified and sonic has said nothing about that person since.

Its doing quite a bit of that. Characterization in the face of Sonic on the losing end. And every ally that falls and the closer we get to the finale, that's only going to weigh on him more and more. Its only going to make him more desperate and more introspective.

The last couple didn't even have sonic in them and I don't really think he's doing any interesting introspection. Because he can't.

The beautiful thing about Zombie stories is that every loss for the heroes is a potential net gain for the enemy. Robotization is an an essence has always been a zombie proxy. Not only does this arc bring that tot he forefront, but it runs with it.

As a reader , I don't care about that? I come to this sonic comic to see my favorite characters do cool shit. My favorite character can no longer do that because he's a zombie. I couldn't give a fuck less

Fan who enjoy watching Sonic suffer is kind of a running gag in the fandom.

I guess

I feel confident in saying that what I want to believe is also the prevailing mainstream opinion.

Sure dog

No offense but since the comic kinda dropped Shadow, it's natural at this point that your interest dropped as well, because... Not much else catches your attention.

My opinion: Shadow was done bad service in the arc, he was used as a plot device and as a casualty, so IMO he shouldn't have appeared at all in the Metal Virus saga if he wouldn't get a proper treatment. They should have focused on a smaller cast for me, although it's a world level crisis so it's natural everyone is involved.

13 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

No offense but since the comic kinda dropped Shadow, it's natural at this point that your interest dropped as well, because... Not much else catches your attention.

If this comic did cool stuff with other characters but messed up shadow. I would still be pissed but I would be like " Yo this is cool " and that's how I feel about year one.

Year 2 hasn't done anything interesting with anyone except for a spin off comic that has nothing to do withe current plot. So now the issues of the current plot for me are intensified because my favorite character is wack and the story is wack.

It says a lot that the only comics I would call good that came out of the series this year, are spin off comics with nothing to do with the narrative at all. Shit speaks volumes.

Whisper sat down and told a story for 90% of the last issue. That shit has had more emotional impact that the entire year of this book.

My opinion: Shadow was done bad service in the arc, he was used as a plot device and as a casualty, so IMO he shouldn't have appeared at all in the Metal Virus saga if he wouldn't get a proper treatment. They should have focused on a smaller cast for me, although it's a world level crisis so it's natural everyone is involved.

this

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

As a reader , I don't care about that? I come to this sonic comic to see my favorite characters do cool shit. My favorite character can no longer do that because he's a zombie. I couldn't give a fuck less

and that's all fine and well. Everyone wants to see their favorite's shine - and there is no reason not to. But if you're argument to the quality of the current arc is overwhelmingly hinged on that - then thats the "cut off the nose" nonsense I was talking about before.

At this point, Shakespeare himself could rise from the grave, put pen to paper and craft the most spectacular, deep and interesting story in the history of mankind, and you'd turn your nose up at it since Shadow isn't represented in the way you want. If you want to say the story isn't for you that's one thing, but to complain about the overall direction of the story like you are reeks of you allowing your personal preferences to flood over and direct your ability to judge the quality of what your actually seeing go down.

2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

and that's all fine and well. Everyone wants to see their favorite's shine - and there is no reason not to.

But if you're argument to the quality of the current arc is overwhelmingly hinged on that - then thats the "cut off the nose" nonsense I was talking about before.

I mean I guess you would think that if you ignored everything else i said.

At this point, Shakespeare himself could rise from the grave, put pen to paper and craft the most spectacular, deep and interesting story in the history of mankind, and you'd turn your nose up at it since Shadow isn't represented in the way you want. If you want to say the story isn't for you that's one thing, but to complain about the overall direction of the story like you are reeks of you allowing your personal preferences to flood over and direct your ability to judge the quality of what your actually seeing go down.

But my first post on the matter is literally me separating those two things. Its onthe last page dog, you can go see it. Its right there.

And as for your shakespear example, that's the problem. I don't want a gigantic shadow epic or sonic epic. Sonic is fun cheesey junk food. I want my characters to look cool and be cool and there's some depth but not enough to mess shit up or they are focing fake zombified deaths down your throat every month. Its my problem with starting shadow's story off with " should you murder a guy " can my man just be edgy and beat up some bad guys first like goddamn.

I just want fun cheesey bullshit and this arc has just been dreadful

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I mean I guess you would think that if you ignored everything else i said.

But my first post on the matter is literally me separating those two things. Its onthe last page dog, you can go see it. Its right there.

I also see your admission that its your personal bias that any arc not first focused on getting Shadow right is more or less a waste of time.

My bias: Until shadow gets ground work, all stories are going on too long. Shadow ain't get a proper character yet, but you really wanted him to be  a zombie. Yeah no fuck this story.

It doesn't matter how much you try to separate the issue when its foundation is so evident. You separated nothing.

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

And as for your shakespear example, that's the problem. I don't want a gigantic shadow epic or sonic epic. Sonic is fun cheesey junk food. I want my characters to look cool and be cool and there's some depth but not enough to mess shit up or they are focing fake zombified deaths down your throat every month. Its my problem with starting shadow's story off with " should you murder a guy " can my man just be edgy and beat up some bad guys first like goddamn.

I just want fun cheesey bullshit and this arc has just been dreadful

Shakespeare is a figure of speech dude. Insert any author or any type of story and my point still stands. You would be more or less oblivious to quality if Shadow doesn't have his name on the title card bare minimum.

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I also see your admission that its your personal bias that any arc not first focused on getting Shadow right is more or less a waste of time.

That post literally starts out " So I feel two ways " where the first part is a more neutral analytical take where I feel like it isn't worth it. Its right there. Meant to seperate " here's a formal take why this is bad " and " this is my own personal bias"

It doesn't matter how much you try to separate the issue when its foundation is so evident. You separated nothing.

I don't know how else to say this so i'll be blunt. If you can't except that a person feels two different ways on a matter. Then we can't have this conversation. Because I do , and you may need more life experience.

That's it.

Shakespeare is a figure of speech dude. Insert any author or any type of story and my point still stands.

uhuh

You would be more or less oblivious to quality if Shadow doesn't have his name on the title card bare minimum.

... But I like stories from last year and from archie that doesn't have shadow in them. I like sonic games without shadow in them. My 2rd favorite sonic game came out when shadow didn't exist. Its almost as if I can have personal biases and also think something is bad on a more analytical level. Again to be blunt, if you can't get that , I dunno man go outside...talk to people. You can feel ways , plural , about a thing.

I could definitely see it as a big deal if it was a Shadow comic, but not only it's called "Sonic the Hedgehog" but there is a variety of great characters. Not everything is about Shadow here. There are bigger issues anyway.

9 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I could definitely see it as a big deal if it was a Shadow comic, but not only it's called "Sonic the Hedgehog" but there is a variety of great characters. Not everything is about Shadow here. There are bigger issues anyway.

Eh, I dont think any single person gets to dictate what is or isn't important narratively

30 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That post literally starts out " So I feel two ways " where the first part is a more neutral analytical take where I feel like it isn't worth it. Its right there. Meant to seperate " here's a formal take why this is bad " and " this is my own personal bias"

And I'm supposed to just ignore how the latter colors the former? Just because you put a little label on it?

Nuh-uh. You've made your bed about this for the last couple of months. Now you get to lay in it.

17 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

And I'm supposed to just ignore how the latter colors the former? Just because you put a little label on it?

.. You take note of it and ask me questions to clarify like you did then i clarify noting for example one of my key issues was that how the zombification happens and how it is as a premise holds weight and how a bad guy sonic or bad guy hero characters holds no real sway to me

So uh.. yeah

Nuh-uh. You've made your bed about this for the last couple of months. Now you get to lay in it.

Ok , like I can't tell you how to live your life dog. But this is a cartoon video game character and a forum dedicated it. Folks can feel different ways about things change their mind . Like it ain't that serious. 

"You've made your bed about this for the last couple of months. Now you get to lay in it."

Do you hear yourself? I feel away about the book. Deal with it, go outside.

Imagine the carnage when we get an actual Shadow arc. lol

A good arc where he can actually fight his own enemies and not have an ego competition with Sonic? I'd have that as a miniseries.

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Cheese and browning rice, can we stay off Shadow for a while?

Ok then

Eggman's characterization is book is weird and I kind of hate it actually.

14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Imagine the carnage when we get an actual Shadow arc. lol

This lmao. I legit can't wait just for the heated discussions we are going to have.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

A good arc where he can actually fight his own enemies and not have an ego competition with Sonic? I'd have that as a miniseries.

C'mon you guys are no fun. I find Sonic and Shadow's contrast in their morals to be the most entertaining thing about the book. 

5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Ok then

Eggman's characterization is book is weird and I kind of hate it actually.

His characterization is essentially a less murderous version of the New252. Of course, he also inherits the events of Forces Buu-style...

Yeah, I've said that this arc could've been heralded by Neo Metal anyway.

32 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

His characterization is essentially a less murderous version of the New252. Of course, he also inherits the events of Forces Buu-style...

Yeah, I've said that this arc could've been heralded by Neo Metal anyway.

I think to me he feels too...seat of his pants-ey?

Eggman even in his goofier years has always been a dude with back of plans and contingencies and shit. And like maybe by the end of this he's the one that's like ' Nah psyche I planned for the d6 to betray me now i control the zombots" and he screws it up or something. Or he actually did fake the amnesia, but for right now he just seems a bit reliant on thought out plans that i would like

57 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think to me he feels too...seat of his pants-ey?

Eggman even in his goofier years has always been a dude with back of plans and contingencies and shit. And like maybe by the end of this he's the one that's like ' Nah psyche I planned for the d6 to betray me now i control the zombots" and he screws it up or something. Or he actually did fake the amnesia, but for right now he just seems a bit reliant on thought out plans that i would like

The Virus was something he had set aside, wasn't it? 

2 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I find Sonic and Shadow's contrast in their morals to be the most entertaining thing about the book. 

Wondering why...

It's been the most basic thing...for one issue.