Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

No offense but since the comic kinda dropped Shadow, it's natural at this point that your interest dropped as well, because... Not much else catches your attention.

If this comic did cool stuff with other characters but messed up shadow. I would still be pissed but I would be like " Yo this is cool " and that's how I feel about year one.

Year 2 hasn't done anything interesting with anyone except for a spin off comic that has nothing to do withe current plot. So now the issues of the current plot for me are intensified because my favorite character is wack and the story is wack.

It says a lot that the only comics I would call good that came out of the series this year, are spin off comics with nothing to do with the narrative at all. Shit speaks volumes.

Whisper sat down and told a story for 90% of the last issue. That shit has had more emotional impact that the entire year of this book.

Quote

My opinion: Shadow was done bad service in the arc, he was used as a plot device and as a casualty, so IMO he shouldn't have appeared at all in the Metal Virus saga if he wouldn't get a proper treatment. They should have focused on a smaller cast for me, although it's a world level crisis so it's natural everyone is involved.

this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

As a reader , I don't care about that? I come to this sonic comic to see my favorite characters do cool shit. My favorite character can no longer do that because he's a zombie. I couldn't give a fuck less

and that's all fine and well. Everyone wants to see their favorite's shine - and there is no reason not to. But if you're argument to the quality of the current arc is overwhelmingly hinged on that - then thats the "cut off the nose" nonsense I was talking about before.

At this point, Shakespeare himself could rise from the grave, put pen to paper and craft the most spectacular, deep and interesting story in the history of mankind, and you'd turn your nose up at it since Shadow isn't represented in the way you want. If you want to say the story isn't for you that's one thing, but to complain about the overall direction of the story like you are reeks of you allowing your personal preferences to flood over and direct your ability to judge the quality of what your actually seeing go down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

 

and that's all fine and well. Everyone wants to see their favorite's shine - and there is no reason not to.

 

2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

But if you're argument to the quality of the current arc is overwhelmingly hinged on that - then thats the "cut off the nose" nonsense I was talking about before.

I mean I guess you would think that if you ignored everything else i said.

2 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

At this point, Shakespeare himself could rise from the grave, put pen to paper and craft the most spectacular, deep and interesting story in the history of mankind, and you'd turn your nose up at it since Shadow isn't represented in the way you want. If you want to say the story isn't for you that's one thing, but to complain about the overall direction of the story like you are reeks of you allowing your personal preferences to flood over and direct your ability to judge the quality of what your actually seeing go down.

But my first post on the matter is literally me separating those two things. Its onthe last page dog, you can go see it. Its right there.

And as for your shakespear example, that's the problem. I don't want a gigantic shadow epic or sonic epic. Sonic is fun cheesey junk food. I want my characters to look cool and be cool and there's some depth but not enough to mess shit up or they are focing fake zombified deaths down your throat every month. Its my problem with starting shadow's story off with " should you murder a guy " can my man just be edgy and beat up some bad guys first like goddamn.

I just want fun cheesey bullshit and this arc has just been dreadful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

 

I mean I guess you would think that if you ignored everything else i said.

But my first post on the matter is literally me separating those two things. Its onthe last page dog, you can go see it. Its right there.

I also see your admission that its your personal bias that any arc not first focused on getting Shadow right is more or less a waste of time.

Quote

My bias: Until shadow gets ground work, all stories are going on too long. Shadow ain't get a proper character yet, but you really wanted him to be  a zombie. Yeah no fuck this story.

It doesn't matter how much you try to separate the issue when its foundation is so evident. You separated nothing.

 

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

And as for your shakespear example, that's the problem. I don't want a gigantic shadow epic or sonic epic. Sonic is fun cheesey junk food. I want my characters to look cool and be cool and there's some depth but not enough to mess shit up or they are focing fake zombified deaths down your throat every month. Its my problem with starting shadow's story off with " should you murder a guy " can my man just be edgy and beat up some bad guys first like goddamn.

I just want fun cheesey bullshit and this arc has just been dreadful

Shakespeare is a figure of speech dude. Insert any author or any type of story and my point still stands. You would be more or less oblivious to quality if Shadow doesn't have his name on the title card bare minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I also see your admission that its your personal bias that any arc not first focused on getting Shadow right is more or less a waste of time.

That post literally starts out " So I feel two ways " where the first part is a more neutral analytical take where I feel like it isn't worth it. Its right there. Meant to seperate " here's a formal take why this is bad " and " this is my own personal bias"

 

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It doesn't matter how much you try to separate the issue when its foundation is so evident. You separated nothing.

I don't know how else to say this so i'll be blunt. If you can't except that a person feels two different ways on a matter. Then we can't have this conversation. Because I do , and you may need more life experience.

That's it.

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

 

Shakespeare is a figure of speech dude. Insert any author or any type of story and my point still stands.

uhuh

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

You would be more or less oblivious to quality if Shadow doesn't have his name on the title card bare minimum.

... But I like stories from last year and from archie that doesn't have shadow in them. I like sonic games without shadow in them. My 2rd favorite sonic game came out when shadow didn't exist. Its almost as if I can have personal biases and also think something is bad on a more analytical level. Again to be blunt, if you can't get that , I dunno man go outside...talk to people. You can feel ways , plural , about a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I could definitely see it as a big deal if it was a Shadow comic, but not only it's called "Sonic the Hedgehog" but there is a variety of great characters. Not everything is about Shadow here. There are bigger issues anyway.

Eh, I dont think any single person gets to dictate what is or isn't important narratively

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That post literally starts out " So I feel two ways " where the first part is a more neutral analytical take where I feel like it isn't worth it. Its right there. Meant to seperate " here's a formal take why this is bad " and " this is my own personal bias"

And I'm supposed to just ignore how the latter colors the former? Just because you put a little label on it?

Nuh-uh. You've made your bed about this for the last couple of months. Now you get to lay in it.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

And I'm supposed to just ignore how the latter colors the former? Just because you put a little label on it?

.. You take note of it and ask me questions to clarify like you did then i clarify noting for example one of my key issues was that how the zombification happens and how it is as a premise holds weight and how a bad guy sonic or bad guy hero characters holds no real sway to me

So uh.. yeah

Quote

Nuh-uh. You've made your bed about this for the last couple of months. Now you get to lay in it.

Ok , like I can't tell you how to live your life dog. But this is a cartoon video game character and a forum dedicated it. Folks can feel different ways about things change their mind . Like it ain't that serious. 

"You've made your bed about this for the last couple of months. Now you get to lay in it."

Do you hear yourself? I feel away about the book. Deal with it, go outside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sega DogTagz said:

Imagine the carnage when we get an actual Shadow arc. lol

 

 

A good arc where he can actually fight his own enemies and not have an ego competition with Sonic? I'd have that as a miniseries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Imagine the carnage when we get an actual Shadow arc. lol

 

 

This lmao. I legit can't wait just for the heated discussions we are going to have.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

A good arc where he can actually fight his own enemies and not have an ego competition with Sonic? I'd have that as a miniseries.

C'mon you guys are no fun. I find Sonic and Shadow's contrast in their morals to be the most entertaining thing about the book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

 

Ok then

Eggman's characterization is book is weird and I kind of hate it actually.

 

His characterization is essentially a less murderous version of the New252. Of course, he also inherits the events of Forces Buu-style...

Yeah, I've said that this arc could've been heralded by Neo Metal anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

His characterization is essentially a less murderous version of the New252. Of course, he also inherits the events of Forces Buu-style...

Yeah, I've said that this arc could've been heralded by Neo Metal anyway.

I think to me he feels too...seat of his pants-ey?

Eggman even in his goofier years has always been a dude with back of plans and contingencies and shit. And like maybe by the end of this he's the one that's like ' Nah psyche I planned for the d6 to betray me now i control the zombots" and he screws it up or something. Or he actually did fake the amnesia, but for right now he just seems a bit reliant on thought out plans that i would like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I think to me he feels too...seat of his pants-ey?

Eggman even in his goofier years has always been a dude with back of plans and contingencies and shit. And like maybe by the end of this he's the one that's like ' Nah psyche I planned for the d6 to betray me now i control the zombots" and he screws it up or something. Or he actually did fake the amnesia, but for right now he just seems a bit reliant on thought out plans that i would like

The Virus was something he had set aside, wasn't it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



I wish I could get inside Ian's head and see how he plans on plotting this arc out. I've been MIA from Sonic for awhile so I'm legit catching up on everything in IDW sonic. Next paycheck I'mma have to order all the past issues so I'll have my collection. Or to start my collection. After watching Archie Sonic die I kindof left the product for awhile. So being back... Time to catch up. Also I'm odd but - Metal Virus- is fun to say in an upbeat tone lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

They had an unreleased version of the Halloween cover that had Sonic as the actual werehog and Big the Cat in it.

pOtBt7at12hXjN9Y6_vYgZnOwczSiuImqlaz-6HqapT6J3NpdYNEcPs6k4jrl66fqMnDbblBRe1bxBFXcNoZ3XvEsNWgbq0tbB-ZAe96eVba1yMtvz7RIt-Wq3YyyitsJQMf0_JW

It's cool but I actually do prefer Sonic in a werehog onesie and Nights Silver.

Froggy the Big. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

They had an unreleased version of the Halloween cover that had Sonic as the actual werehog and Big the Cat in it.

pOtBt7at12hXjN9Y6_vYgZnOwczSiuImqlaz-6HqapT6J3NpdYNEcPs6k4jrl66fqMnDbblBRe1bxBFXcNoZ3XvEsNWgbq0tbB-ZAe96eVba1yMtvz7RIt-Wq3YyyitsJQMf0_JW

It's cool but I actually do prefer Sonic in a werehog onesie and Nights Silver.

nights silver was really cool

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 5:49 PM, Almar said:

This comic will never achieve its potential as long as Ian has to write around Iizuka and Co's ridiculous decrees like Sonic living in a totally separate planet/dimension from humans.

It actually can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.