Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

And you can do other kind of stories :

- How the human world react to all those magical elements coming from another world ? Do they see the mobian as aliens, especially after the OTHER alien invasion their world suffered ? Do some politicians use mobians as scapegoat, that would be pretty easy after what… 4 big crisis happening in their world since they started to come frequently ? (I don't count 2006 because it revoked itself).

- What are the differences of cultures and traditions between two different world (it was done better in Sonic X where the mobian world was way wilder). Has stuff that "travellers" know affected the mobian world ? (we know that they don't have money, it could become the foundation of very interesting stories

- Why did GUN not interfer during the Eggman's War in Animal World ? How will Sonic and co. react if their reason is "not our problem, won't act", especially as they saved earth a LOT of times ? As they have the mission to protect THEIR planet and that the heroes have another vision, both could clash a lot. Especially after the animal world was pretty wiped out by the zombot crisis. I think more interesting to have one camp that was tranquilly in their own world and that could get a new conflict about that in a future story, while the other world suffered two world-level crisis.

- Related to 1 and 3 : Do humans want to interfer with the another world ? Do some human see that as a new "frontier", a new "blank state" compared to their civilisation ? Do they even come into the Animal World ? We could tell a lot of stories with human coming to the animal world, either seeing themselves as "civilizators" (or entrepreneurs that see that as a big opportunity), or them being attacked because most people in Sonic's World see humans as "like Eggman" ? With going to different dimensions/planet we can do the kind of dynamics that are pretty impossible in a "near-future" world like the Human World : a place that is difficult to get with current technologies. It can be the source of a LOT of stories.

- We can extend that to mobian deciding to live in the human world : do they prefer the human world ? For what reason ? It would be even more interesting to see someone being so fed up with something in their live that they go in a completely alien world. Is adjusting to such a complex world as "our" is difficult for them ? Sonic X didn't really go into that, but they had interesting concepts about how at first people from the mobian world didn't even understand many concept of the human world, like when Robotnik told everybody to "get him see their leader" and was annoyed by such a complex way of command - and with the IDW Sonic world that just seems to have town elder and stuff like that, it seems pretty logical.

- Are the heroes the first to travel between worlds ? Do some civilisations spanned on both world ? Did Gerald travel to the mobian world ?

 

 

Basically : every world and vision that you have will both limit you and introduce new possibilities. One world create more mix-up of situations. Two worlds create more extreme differences and stories about the worlds own organisation. I think that limitations (and especially those) are mostly good for storytelling, because the writers needs to think more instead of going the easy ways. This one is just a choice of universe, that is basically nothing and just "change" the kind of stories (and by "the kind of stories", I mean basically just a very small parts of the stories).

So : yeah, some stories can't be told in this format. Some can't be told with another format. That's storytelling. The most you create a world, the most you'll be limited in the kind of stories you can tell. But at the same time, it offer new kind of stories, that are directly based on the world structure.

Said in another way : a good writer wouldn't be affected by this, and it won't change the quality of the story-building of the final product. If someone can't write good stories in a story structure that is large enough (and with many things blurry enough), whatever this structure is (yeah, I know that someone could try to get me just by showing some extreme type of world that are impossible to make stories with, but I'm not saying that I would be this "good writer" :p), I think that it's mostly them that lack a bit of imagination.

 

SEGA won't allow Ian to even mention humans other than Eggman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) I don't think how the human world reacts to anything is ever relevant to anything unless sonic characters are there

2) I don't think GUN is particularly relevant nowadays. The only two things anyone cares about in relation to gun are named Shadow The Hedgehog and Rouge the Bat, and according to sega they don't work for them, so they aren't relevant at all.

Like the story is already crowded , and we don't need another entire planet of people just to say " Oh no they are also metallic " there is literally nothing that the entire human earth adds to most conflicts. It is setting , set dressing at best. The two worlds thing isn't as huge a problem as you think it is , if they are just retconning stuff to just be in animal land or animal universe rather.

My entire personal issue with " Two worlds " is continuity issues and possible characterization changes as a result , but if they were to reboot or retcon it to ... fix it I personally wouldn't care.

The human world ain't that interesting.

IMO anyway, the desire to see GUN or any human anything react to these goings on reads to me like thisgiphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

- How the human world react to all those magical elements coming from another world ? Do they see the mobian as aliens, especially after the OTHER alien invasion their world suffered ? Do some politicians use mobians as scapegoat, that would be pretty easy after what… 4 big crisis happening in their world since they started to come frequently ? (I don't count 2006 because it revoked itself).

That's one thing if you're working from scratch with a fantastical "Mobius" contrasting a mundane "Earth", like Sonic X did. However, the games, which IDW seems to follow for the most part, have consistently shown Earth to be every bit as weird and magical as any hypothetical "Mobius". Flickies, the Chaos Emeralds, the Master Emerald, Chaos, Chao, the Knuckles Tribe, Shadow, the Gizoid, the Black Arms, Solaris, Babylon Garden, and the Gaias have all been shown existing in a world populated by humans and in many cases have been known commodities since ancient, or even prehistoric times.

 

5 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

- What are the differences of cultures and traditions between two different world (it was done better in Sonic X where the mobian world was way wilder). Has stuff that "travellers" know affected the mobian world ? (we know that they don't have money, it could become the foundation of very interesting stories

- Why did GUN not interfer during the Eggman's War in Animal World ? How will Sonic and co. react if their reason is "not our problem, won't act", especially as they saved earth a LOT of times ? As they have the mission to protect THEIR planet and that the heroes have another vision, both could clash a lot. Especially after the animal world was pretty wiped out by the zombot crisis. I think more interesting to have one camp that was tranquilly in their own world and that could get a new conflict about that in a future story, while the other world suffered two world-level crisis.

- Related to 1 and 3 : Do humans want to interfer with the another world ? Do some human see that as a new "frontier", a new "blank state" compared to their civilisation ? Do they even come into the Animal World ? We could tell a lot of stories with human coming to the animal world, either seeing themselves as "civilizators" (or entrepreneurs that see that as a big opportunity), or them being attacked because most people in Sonic's World see humans as "like Eggman" ? With going to different dimensions/planet we can do the kind of dynamics that are pretty impossible in a "near-future" world like the Human World : a place that is difficult to get with current technologies. It can be the source of a LOT of stories.

- We can extend that to mobian deciding to live in the human world : do they prefer the human world ? For what reason ? It would be even more interesting to see someone being so fed up with something in their live that they go in a completely alien world. Is adjusting to such a complex world as "our" is difficult for them ? Sonic X didn't really go into that, but they had interesting concepts about how at first people from the mobian world didn't even understand many concept of the human world, like when Robotnik told everybody to "get him see their leader" and was annoyed by such a complex way of command - and with the IDW Sonic world that just seems to have town elder and stuff like that, it seems pretty logical.

But none of that requires two planets, just one with geographically, culturally, and/or politically isolated regions. Y'know, like Earth.

If anything, being on the same planet would make the subject of GUN's non-involvement in Forces even more fraught, since they can't cite ignorance or the logistical problems with deploying troops on another planet as and excuse for their non-involvement (though technically two of their top agents were working with the resistance).

 

5 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

- Are the heroes the first to travel between worlds ? Do some civilisations spanned on both world ? Did Gerald travel to the mobian world ?

Those aren't potential story-lines those are just some of the less obnoxious questions raised by trying to split the world in two.

 

5 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

Basically : every world and vision that you have will both limit you and introduce new possibilities. One world create more mix-up of situations. Two worlds create more extreme differences and stories about the worlds own organisation. I think that limitations (and especially those) are mostly good for storytelling, because the writers needs to think more instead of going the easy ways. This one is just a choice of universe, that is basically nothing and just "change" the kind of stories (and by "the kind of stories", I mean basically just a very small parts of the stories).

So : yeah, some stories can't be told in this format. Some can't be told with another format. That's storytelling. The most you create a world, the most you'll be limited in the kind of stories you can tell. But at the same time, it offer new kind of stories, that are directly based on the world structure.

Establishing the rules of your universe and working within them is a good skill for writers to have and builds consistency in a work. Arbitrarily deciding certain elements of your universe are no longer allowed to interact (especially when your reasoning is a flagrant violation of Occam's Razor) is just stupid. It's no different than SEGA saying the comic can't use Mighty and Ray or if they, for some reason, decreed that Cream and Knuckles aren't allowed to speak to each other. The segregation doesn't create any new possibilities, it just limits potential.

As it stands, the two worlds fundamentally operate under the same rules. There's no story that could take place in a human world or an animal world which couldn't also occur in a single world, where both coexist and the writer is free to pull from either side. Trying to maintain separation just creates problems (i.e. The need for casual interstellar travel to constantly be happening off-screen).

 

6 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

Said in another way : a good writer wouldn't be affected by this, and it won't change the quality of the story-building of the final product. If someone can't write good stories in a story structure that is large enough (and with many things blurry enough), whatever this structure is (yeah, I know that someone could try to get me just by showing some extreme type of world that are impossible to make stories with, but I'm not saying that I would be this "good writer" :p), I think that it's mostly them that lack a bit of imagination.

I never said there can't be good stories within a two worlds framework. The original quote I was defending was that two worlds limits the comic's potential. Which preventing the writer from drawing on the full body of existing material at once will necessarily do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 4:04 AM, Tangled Jack said:

Get over it already. It has the same restrictions as Archie so… they are just working more closely now. I think potentially there is still freedom offered, but it really depends on the case, still, I don't trust SEGA's decisions. The 2 worlds thing… I kinda don't care anymore actually, since they are making the Classic Sonic timeline a thing, plus with Blaze's dimension, this whole separation thing can be used to create a proper Sonic multiverse? I'd love that Good things can come from that, even from the 2 worlds shit.

Your attempt to shut down discussion is obvious.

17 hours ago, Celestia said:

Unless I missed something, even if it's the SA2 pyramid in that Rouge story in the annual, maybe that story was set in the human world.

We still don't know how one gets from one to the other (which is still the main thing that make me actually mad about all this lol) but I guess the implication is that it's accessible / unregulated enough that literally anyone can do it? You could take the easy route and say it's warp rings and that'd be reasonable enough, but I doubt SEGA put even that much thought into it.

Considering the decree clashes with what happens in games before Unleashed, they obviously didn't put much thought into it since they just needed a way to (haphazardly) appease complaints over Elise and Gun Commander (and the tone/plots of the Adventure games, Shadow, and 06) alongside patching over the clashing the visuals of the Genesis Era, Adventure to 06, and Unleashed to today among overall just doing a cheap paint over of Iizukaa and Co.'s failure to maintain a solid direction for Sonic (not just in how the games play, but how they look, how the characters act, etc.).

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

1) I don't think how the human world reacts to anything is ever relevant to anything unless sonic characters are there

2) I don't think GUN is particularly relevant nowadays. The only two things anyone cares about in relation to gun are named Shadow The Hedgehog and Rouge the Bat, and according to sega they don't work for them, so they aren't relevant at all.

Like the story is already crowded , and we don't need another entire planet of people just to say " Oh no they are also metallic " there is literally nothing that the entire human earth adds to most conflicts. It is setting , set dressing at best. The two worlds thing isn't as huge a problem as you think it is , if they are just retconning stuff to just be in animal land or animal universe rather.

My entire personal issue with " Two worlds " is continuity issues and possible characterization changes as a result , but if they were to reboot or retcon it to ... fix it I personally wouldn't care.

The human world ain't that interesting.

IMO anyway, the desire to see GUN or any human anything react to these goings on reads to me like thisgiphy.gif

 

Well if they had a better sense of building a setting there wouldn't have to be some big worry over whether you have too many humans or too many animals. It wouldn't be including "an entire planet's worth" of humans. It would a world with humans, hedgehogs, whatever Chaos is, etc.

 

8 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

And you can do other kind of stories :

- How the human world react to all those magical elements coming from another world ? Do they see the mobian as aliens, especially after the OTHER alien invasion their world suffered ? Do some politicians use mobians as scapegoat, that would be pretty easy after what… 4 big crisis happening in their world since they started to come frequently ? (I don't count 2006 because it revoked itself).

- What are the differences of cultures and traditions between two different world (it was done better in Sonic X where the mobian world was way wilder). Has stuff that "travellers" know affected the mobian world ? (we know that they don't have money, it could become the foundation of very interesting stories

- Why did GUN not interfer during the Eggman's War in Animal World ? How will Sonic and co. react if their reason is "not our problem, won't act", especially as they saved earth a LOT of times ? As they have the mission to protect THEIR planet and that the heroes have another vision, both could clash a lot. Especially after the animal world was pretty wiped out by the zombot crisis. I think more interesting to have one camp that was tranquilly in their own world and that could get a new conflict about that in a future story, while the other world suffered two world-level crisis.

- Related to 1 and 3 : Do humans want to interfer with the another world ? Do some human see that as a new "frontier", a new "blank state" compared to their civilisation ? Do they even come into the Animal World ? We could tell a lot of stories with human coming to the animal world, either seeing themselves as "civilizators" (or entrepreneurs that see that as a big opportunity), or them being attacked because most people in Sonic's World see humans as "like Eggman" ? With going to different dimensions/planet we can do the kind of dynamics that are pretty impossible in a "near-future" world like the Human World : a place that is difficult to get with current technologies. It can be the source of a LOT of stories.

- We can extend that to mobian deciding to live in the human world : do they prefer the human world ? For what reason ? It would be even more interesting to see someone being so fed up with something in their live that they go in a completely alien world. Is adjusting to such a complex world as "our" is difficult for them ? Sonic X didn't really go into that, but they had interesting concepts about how at first people from the mobian world didn't even understand many concept of the human world, like when Robotnik told everybody to "get him see their leader" and was annoyed by such a complex way of command - and with the IDW Sonic world that just seems to have town elder and stuff like that, it seems pretty logical.

- Are the heroes the first to travel between worlds ? Do some civilisations spanned on both world ? Did Gerald travel to the mobian world ?

 

 

Basically : every world and vision that you have will both limit you and introduce new possibilities. One world create more mix-up of situations. Two worlds create more extreme differences and stories about the worlds own organisation. I think that limitations (and especially those) are mostly good for storytelling, because the writers needs to think more instead of going the easy ways. This one is just a choice of universe, that is basically nothing and just "change" the kind of stories (and by "the kind of stories", I mean basically just a very small parts of the stories).

So : yeah, some stories can't be told in this format. Some can't be told with another format. That's storytelling. The most you create a world, the most you'll be limited in the kind of stories you can tell. But at the same time, it offer new kind of stories, that are directly based on the world structure.

Said in another way : a good writer wouldn't be affected by this, and it won't change the quality of the story-building of the final product. If someone can't write good stories in a story structure that is large enough (and with many things blurry enough), whatever this structure is (yeah, I know that someone could try to get me just by showing some extreme type of world that are impossible to make stories with, but I'm not saying that I would be this "good writer" :p), I think that it's mostly them that lack a bit of imagination.

 

 Much of those suggestions can be done by having humans and the Sonic-kin leave in separate continents or communities that didn't interact as much as they do today from a combo of technological limits, terrain. That shows the point I and others have been making here. Two Worlds only really brings nothing that's needed for Sonic's setting to do such stories and is shameless in its transparency.

1 hour ago, Bowbowis said:

That's one thing if you're working from scratch with a fantastical "Mobius" contrasting a mundane "Earth", like Sonic X did. However, the games, which IDW seems to follow for the most part, have consistently shown Earth to be every bit as weird and magical as any hypothetical "Mobius". Flickies, the Chaos Emeralds, the Master Emerald, Chaos, Chao, the Knuckles Tribe, Shadow, the Gizoid, the Black Arms, Solaris, Babylon Garden, and the Gaias have all been shown existing in a world populated by humans and in many cases have been known commodities since ancient, or even prehistoric times.

Naka already confirmed that Sonic lives on a wacky Earth (with Sonic's adventures beginning on Christmas Island in Oceania)  He even went through the trouble of saying "on Earth" when an interviewer asked if that island is on Earth or elsewhere.

It was really the Western cartoons besides Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog that pushed the meme of humans against anthros. Adventures is the one exception we saw a rather notable amount of humans (or at least characters who weren't funny animals).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

SEGA won't allow Ian to even mention humans other than Eggman

Ian's chosen to set IDW in the animal world so far, but it isn't a mandate that there can't be any other humans or go to the human world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

That's one thing if you're working from scratch with a fantastical "Mobius" contrasting a mundane "Earth", like Sonic X did. However, the games, which IDW seems to follow for the most part, have consistently shown Earth to be every bit as weird and magical as any hypothetical "Mobius". Flickies, the Chaos Emeralds, the Master Emerald, Chaos, Chao, the Knuckles Tribe, Shadow, the Gizoid, the Black Arms, Solaris, Babylon Garden, and the Gaias have all been shown existing in a world populated by humans and in many cases have been known commodities since ancient, or even prehistoric times.

"For most part" is the important part, which mean that they are free to say that it didn't follow 100% the games. For the moment, Flynn showed only what he wanted, and already did things that are totally contrary to what the few people that thought about two-world theorized (for instance having Central City in Sonic's World… and I'm sure that this one is because of Flynn himself, as SEGA don't care much about Central City nowaday). Not to mention that the Chaos Emerald and the Master Emerald, could be basically top secret before Sonic Adventure, and that most of the Chaos-stuff could be coming from Angel Island (as there is several interpretation of what exactly in the Mystic Ruins are parts of Angel Island or not).

Honestly, it would be pretty easy to make it work within what's shown in the comics. Heck, the whole deal of magic that people got increasingly since Sonic Adventure could be in itself a story.

4 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

Establishing the rules of your universe and working within them is a good skill for writers to have and builds consistency in a work. Arbitrarily deciding certain elements of your universe are no longer allowed to interact (especially when your reasoning is a flagrant violation of Occam's Razor) is just stupid. It's no different than SEGA saying the comic can't use Mighty and Ray or if they, for some reason, decreed that Cream and Knuckles aren't allowed to speak to each other. The segregation doesn't create any new possibilities, it just limits potential.

As it stands, the two worlds fundamentally operate under the same rules. There's no story that could take place in a human world or an animal world which couldn't also occur in a single world, where both coexist and the writer is free to pull from either side. Trying to maintain separation just creates problems (i.e. The need for casual interstellar travel to constantly be happening off-screen).

The "classic era not allowed" stuff is for me basically a different problem, and in a "meta" level, as it involve a separate CONTINUITY and stuff. You can have both the "two world" and character from both world interacting. Most of the problem is that SEGA say that without creating a real universe, and most of the problem happens BECAUSE it's not really a universe that is being done, but just a "rule". As I always says, Sonic isn't one or two world : it's zero-world.

 

And about why I think that saying that those stories would be the same with one-world :

2 hours ago, Almar said:

 Much of those suggestions can be done by having humans and the Sonic-kin leave in separate continents or communities that didn't interact as much as they do today from a combo of technological limits, terrain. That shows the point I and others have been making here. Two Worlds only really brings nothing that's needed for Sonic's setting to do such stories and is shameless in its transparency.

I really prefer in this case having two separate world as LITTERALY separate worlds. Just being in another continent for those stories wouldn't be as nice for several reason :

- You lose the "alien"/"magical creature from elsewhere" imagery. Coming from another world create a whole new level of difference, that is the point that you should explore.

- You also can make more logical that they mostly didn't knew each other for a long time.

- Remember that Sonic's character are giant talking ANIMALS. I really would prefer that they didn't create stories of confrontation between "humans from the modern continent" and "animals from the old continent". Having them from another "world" separated from mundane life make you draw from the folklore, mythical or sci-fi imagery (they instantly become more separated from human kind, more "other-ly", which mitigate most of the problem I'm talking about by not making it "real earth racism with animals instead of other humans"), having them from a mysterious unkown continent make the fact that they are animal way too much of an awkward metaphor for that kind of stories. That's simple : in one-world setting, I would prefer them to drop most type of story talking of confrontation between animals people and human, as Sonic isn't the kind of story that can make it works that well... ( For having used it in a short novel (I used it to talk about the question of bioethics and of what we can call an "animal" or a "human"), I had to adress the existence of racism to avoid this problem of it looking like "real earth racism with animals instead of other humans". For me, it isn't really suited for Sonic, especially if they are targeting children)

- The extreme separation can also make that sometimes humans and mobian would have a point in seeing the other as not being their problem.

 

I'll answer another remark about that, to explain what I exactly mean like that :

4 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

If anything, being on the same planet would make the subject of GUN's non-involvement in Forces even more fraught, since they can't cite ignorance or the logistical problems with deploying troops on another planet as and excuse for their non-involvement (though technically two of their top agents were working with the resistance).

I feel that them having a point about why they weren't involved is way better than just making it "more fraught"… I prefer conflict when both side can have a point (GUN mentioning that the logistic of an interdimensionnal/interplanetary war would be too big, and that they prefer to use all of their fleet to protect their planet, and that as thus they prefered to give only Rouge and Shadow)

 

I can understand why one would dislike the two-world (and I don't say that anybody should like it or not, or that people are "wrong" to dislike something - there is no good or wrong tastes for me), not see it as very "elegant", or stuff, but I really think that it's also a really rich storytelling source. But tbh, it's a bit difficult to get a lore that wouldn't be a good source of storytelling with only his rules and concepts - even if I think that characters always matter more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

"For most part" is the important part, which mean that they are free to say that it didn't follow 100% the games. For the moment, Flynn showed only what he wanted, and already did things that are totally contrary to what the few people that thought about two-world theorized (for instance having Central City in Sonic's World… and I'm sure that this one is because of Flynn himself, as SEGA don't care much about Central City nowaday). 

Ian said on the most recent Bumblekast that he considers the Central City from Adventure 2 and the Central City from Sonic Battle with Tails' house in it, two different cities.

Because more than one city can be called Central City. Kind of like how there's more than one London and more than one Paris.

He admits to playing a bit fast and loose with it but he's definitely trying his best to work out which areas go on which world and I really wish he didn't have to. 

Not only is SEGA/Sonic Team not going to utilize it (like they haven't up until now) but Ian's keeping it on the down low until he feels confident exploring the two worlds thing might be a viable, safe thing to do. Which may never happen honestly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Two Worlds means no humans, but since there have only ever been...6 actual human "characters" in this series, it means absolutely nothing that humans can't be used in this comic series.

10 if you count Sonicman, Q. Cumber, Wentos, and Brenda, to say nothing of the other citizens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

10 if you count Sonicman, Q. Cumber, Wentos, and Brenda, to say nothing of the other citizens.

I don't, as they aren't characters that have a story role...

Though if they were allowed to be referenced, that'd be coolio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Two Worlds means no humans, but since there have only ever been...6 actual human "characters" in this series, it means absolutely nothing that humans can't be used in this comic series.

I'm honestly so surprised that people want humans so bad. 

I thought we all agreed that with the exception of maybe Professor Pickle the human charactersweren't anything to write home about. 

As for stuff in the human world we have already seen Final Egg so it's not like material from the games in that world are off limits or anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I thought we all agreed that with the exception of maybe Professor Pickle the human charactersweren't anything to write home about. 

I mean, they really aren't, but they've been the norm for a while...

So if people want humans, it just means they'd rather stick with what they're familiar/comfortable with.

I don't exactly care either way, I was just saying that there's nothing lost in them not being in the comic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

https://www.deviantart.com/majinssketchbook/art/Sonic-World-Map-748463079

How about we use this map? It's beautiful and pays homage to ALL the games.

Sonic's world is just one animal continent, and all the other continents (from SA and Sonic Unleashed) are human.

Why one continent when it could be a bunch of different places around the world? If it's all one planet, there doesn't have to be a separation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Hey all!

I am trying to order a subscription to the IDW Sonic Comics and can't figure it out! Is there a way to do this?

I'm not sure about a physical subscription (DC, Marvel and IDW never seem to run sub ads in their issues like Archie always did), but you can get a digital subscription through Comixlogy. I haven't used their sub feature myself, but I'd imagine it works relatively the same.

If you're in the UK, Forbidden Planet offers a mail subscription where they'll charge you whenever an issue is released and then post the issue out to you. I believe there's an international version too, but I don't know for sure.

Alternatively, if there's a comic store near you, you could always ask them to get the issues in for you. My local comic shop gets them in on time and holds them for me, so that's an option as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I decided to sign up for G Mart Comics. They will ship comics for you every month in subscription style (They charge you every month separately for a new issue). I will see how this works. Right in time for issue #25 too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy the issues digitally from IDW website and store them on my comp for easy access. I tend to buy in bulk (I'll let an arc or two stockpile before buying them all) and it seems like the best option for me rather than hoping my local comic shops have the last 6 or 7 issues in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

- You lose the "alien"/"magical creature from elsewhere" imagery. Coming from another world create a whole new level of difference, that is the point that you should explore.

He's not though. Sonic was established from the start as being a hedgehog who acts like a human (Sonic 1's JP commercial even had him moonwalking and breakdancing in a modern city) who even was planned to have Madonna as a ladyfriend. His adventures started in Oceania and his opening level was a wacky California. The works which weren't vidya games that had enough involvement from SoJ like Sonic OVA or Man of the Year showed Sonic as interacing with demihumans (if not humans).

We see no solid evidence that anthros and humans behave differently or had a segregation (Sandoplis from Sonic and Knuckles would hint at humans and Echidnas both living on Angel Islan). Point is, "Sonic as alien" was more of a weird Western interpretation that had a bone thrown to it in Sonic X.

10 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Two Worlds means no humans, but since there have only ever been...6 actual human "characters" in this series, it means absolutely nothing that humans can't be used in this comic series.

Sure it does. If they're going to pretend the games before Unleashed all happened then they need to address their showings of humans with the lack of legit separation between funny animals and funny humans. It'd be different if they just flat-out said the games from Unleashed onward were a reboot with the games before not in the timeline anymore, but they didn't since they have bits like Sonic's reaction to Chaos in Forces and whatever happens with Shadow that play on illusions of connections.

8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I'm honestly so surprised that people want humans so bad. 

I thought we all agreed that with the exception of maybe Professor Pickle the human charactersweren't anything to write home about. 

As for stuff in the human world we have already seen Final Egg so it's not like material from the games in that world are off limits or anything. 


"humans were never good so retcon them away" is just toady talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's in line with other examples like that statue in Wacky Workbench Past or Man of the Year. Not to mention Sonic Adventure having the Echidna's ruins be within train distance of Station Square (which went in line with Sonic 3's manual saying that AI was sent off of a continent).

As far as Peak Sonic goes, he lived in a wacky/magically wacky version of our world in the 90s. Not some Planet of the Furries or something like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.