Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

39 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

There's a lot of weird lore stuff in that game , some of it hidden behind the expert stuff.

I suppose it's not nearly as bad as Eggman confirming to Shadow the one thing he wanted to know at the literal last second of the final boss.

Then again, the game (and Heroes) never seems to give the player a reason to think it isn't the same Shadow from SA2 so I never understood why they bothered with that plot thread at all.

Just now, Zaysho said:

I suppose it's not nearly as bad as Eggman confirming to Shadow the one thing he wanted to know at the literal last second of the final boss.

Then again, the game (and Heroes) never seems to give the player a reason to think it isn't the same Shadow from SA2 so I never understood why they bothered with that plot thread at all.

I  think at one point they wanted shadow to have his own army of converted eggman robots and like former bad people, and thread pops up in the rivals games. I think the idea was for him to, even if he wasn't feel obligated to like free former eggman robots thinking he was one. And have people who like were formally bad and wanted to be better join him. They just take off with metal sonic at the end of heroes and I just think that was the plan.

Then they dropped all that shit and was like " his dad is a demon alien actually " And then tried to pick some of it back up with metal sonic, then gave up.

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

It's more that GUN gave Shadow and to an extent Rouge a purposeful yet flexible framework after Shadow's game--putting the past behind you to do what it takes to protect the world and all that.

This too of course. GUN gives Shadow a strong niche, it provides him purpose, it gives a solid basis both for Shadow to join in on Sonic's adventures and to have his own adventures with potential to provide a different perspective on the Sonic universe, and it keeps him in close proximity to Rouge which is a relationship that really helps to humanize him. Being a GUN agent also helps further Shadow as a foil to Sonic: Sonic is a free-spirit, Shadow is part of a regimented organization; Sonic shirks authority, Shadow represents authority; Sonic is driven by his own thirst for adventure, Shadow is driven by duty to a higher cause. In a lot of ways joining GUN was the best thing to happen to Shadow's character since SA2. If nothing else it gave his character a clear direction after his amnesia arc resolved, unlike Tails who's character has been more or less stuck in limbo since the Adventure games.

11 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Honestly it's not that hard for me to believe that fans jumped the gun a bit on Shadow working for GUN. As far as I can remember '06 is the only game where anything like that happens, and not only did that game un-happen, it's not really explicit about how the two are connected in the first place. He's clearly working with them at the start, but it's not clear if he's properly joined up with them or just working with them because their interests align.

In fairness '06 was also his last significant appearance until Forces so it's less like fans cherry picked a one-off element and more like they spent eleven years assuming that was his new status quo. Plus his car in SaASRT prominently features the GUN logo and has a similar aesthetic to their robots, so it's not as if there's been nothing to reinforce the idea of him being an agent since '06:

Image result for sasrt Shadow

Even in Forces kind of runs with it, even though GUN isn't mentioned by name, given that he and Rouge talk like they're part of some military/spy organization even before the Resistance is formed. 

The question of who Shadow and Rouge report to is just an example of how Team Iizuka acts when it comes to the setting. It's obvious they're trying to sneakily sweep under the rug elements like GUN, but at the same time try to take advantage of past continuity by alluding to pre-Unleashed games (in this case, Team Dark's secret agent work). 

2 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

This too of course. GUN gives Shadow a strong niche, it provides him purpose, it gives a solid basis both for Shadow to join in on Sonic's adventures and to have his own adventures with potential to provide a different perspective on the Sonic universe, and it keeps him in close proximity to Rouge which is a relationship that really helps to humanize him.

He can just go out on adventures to help people and GUN isn't why, and rouge could just be a person he keeps in contact with

Being a GUN agent also helps further Shadow as a foil to Sonic: Sonic is a free-spirit, Shadow is part of a regimented organization; Sonic shirks authority, Shadow represents authority; Sonic is driven by his own thirst for adventure, Shadow is driven by duty to a higher cause. In a lot of ways joining GUN was the best thing to happen to Shadow's character since SA2. If nothing else it gave his character a clear direction after his amnesia arc resolved, unlike Tails who's spent most his time since SA1 either who's character has been more or less stuck in limbo since the Adventure games.

The issue with this entire thought process is that shadow could be more regimented, by himself. Those characters exist, infact one of the most famous characters in the modern history of fiction who happens to be one of the most famous rivals to another character in modern fiction

His name is batman, it isn't that hard. He can just be a guy who does shit by himself.

In fairness '06 was also his last significant appearance until Forces so it's less like fans cherry picked a one-off element and more like they spent eleven years assuming that was his new status quo.

Eh, no a bunch of fans didn't go with it and actively didn't like it. Sonic 06 is one of the most awful games in the modern sonic canon, and retcons itself, there are a bunch of people who disregard everything that happens in that game in entierty. Heck even the game does that by retconning two characters entire stories after the fact. And retconning itself . And actually he was in games afterwards one in which gun is in it and they don't talk to him, they talk to rouge.

Ya'll cherry picked a thing

To be blunt and I'm criticizing myself here too, I feel as though sometimes the hardcore sonic fanbase forgets 06 was a dumpster fire that most people including the people who made the game disregard and probably don't consider anything from that game relavnt to any character, setting, plot, game , or anything happening in the modern day. Because its literally so bad that it forced the franchise to change corse

Plus his car in SaASRT prominently features the GUN logo and has a similar aesthetic to their robots, so it's not as if there's been nothing to reinforce the idea of him being an agent since '06:

Image result for sasrt Shadow

Shadow , much like in his game probably stole that car. He stole the bike he has too.

Even in Forces kind of runs with it, even though GUN isn't mentioned by name, given that he and Rouge talk like they're part of some military/spy organization even before the Resistance is formed. 

Or shadow's a hard ass and that's how he talks.

" He's serious so he uses phrases like ' mission' and 'attack formation' " you know how robin does in the TT because he's raised by batman

I think a bunch of people got gooofed really hard because sega can't tell stories

1 hour ago, Almar said:

The question of who Shadow and Rouge report to is just an example of how Team Iizuka acts when it comes to the setting. It's obvious they're trying to sneakily sweep under the rug elements like GUN, but at the same time try to take advantage of past continuity by alluding to pre-Unleashed games (in this case, Team Dark's secret agent work). 

Anyone who would want to know what's up with eggman, considering he's a menace I could quite literally be anyone. Heck if you want to assume what would become the resistance existed before forces in some capcity, he could literally be just be giving information to amy.

I think they are just using that lingo because they are supposed to be more " serious " and going on a mission

I feel like if you think about this as " Oh wait this a franchise for children " it makes sense.

Some release date changes:

Tangle & Whisper 4 has been pushed back to 4 December, and Sonic 24 has been pushed back to...Christmas Day. Dunno how that’s gonna work.

EDIT: and the Tangle & Whisper box set has vanished.

4 hours ago, Mythical Panda said:

Tangle & Whisper 4 has been pushed back to 4 December, and Sonic 24 has been pushed back to...Christmas Day. Dunno how that’s gonna work.

It'll likely be releasing Christmas Eve/Christmas Week I'd imagine. DC pulls the same stunt so they can have their heavy hitters releasing on Christmas Week, and then that ups their profits for a certain month. Off the top of my head, Batman Last Knight on Earth's final issue received a massive delay til this Christmas release date for the same reason.

9 hours ago, Whispering Ultima said:

Welp no new comic this month 

Edit: I forget that issue 23 exists

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I mean...I dont blame ya

What is that about? 

9 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

That wasn't called for just because you didn't get the answer you wanted to whatever vague question you asked.

It was supposed to be a playful dipper, but then I remembered Gravity Falls.

But you're right, I apologize. 

As an assuage, I found the solicit.

IDW23CoverARaw                                                     IDWSonic 23B Artwork

"The Last Minute," Part Three! Sonic has been infected by the Metal Virus, and so far the only thing keeping him from going full-on zombot is his incredible speed... but how long can that last? As Sonic pushes himself to his limits gathering data for Tails, he comes face-to-face with the one problem more important than the Metal Virus: its creator, Dr. Eggman.

Oh, Sonic and Eggman finally face off again. Maybe things will go somewhere now, but Whisper has been the stronger story thus far.

I've honestly enjoyed this arc a lot so far. I think it could have been less dragged out, but honestly one of the things I like about this comic is that it seems to actually care about taking its time with character development and such. The big problem for me with Archie was oftentimes I felt the action continued to ramp up to insane degrees while the characters remained far too static in comparison.

Yeah, SEGA did it for a reason, Penders had butchered most characters (from what I remember), they were trying to make it a lot more SEGA-Sonic, which is understandable, they want a unified version of Sonic, and btw the comics were too much fan fiction at that point, they really represented something very far from Sonic, but at the same time they limit the development, especially for the game cast. But it's not a problem under Ian's pen, he's great at making little development without changing the personalities and how they work on the games, see: Sonic in this very arc, Knuckles, Cream, maybe Shadow and Gemerl in the future, who knows, there is a lot to improve with them, oh and Tails and Amy, who became different characters with time because of SEGA's decisions, but now are more independent at least, Tails goes by his own machines Genius agenda, Amy is a strong leader who keeps things in check, etc.

Shadow and Gemerl really have the most potential here, as the former is the most flawed, and the latter is static and rigid, so both can potentially grow a lot, if SEGA allows that… considering Shadow in Forces, I don't see why not, but after seeing the comics heh...

So this is interesting. She deflects when asked what this is for but she clearly calls it research. So I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that something is brewing. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Pretty sure its just a joke.

Her reply, but not the tweet, maybe she draws something with Shadow in the main comic or with the Shadow androids in the spinoff comic.

18 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

That was usually because Sega themselves restricted a lot of development in Archie after Penders mucked things up.

Which sucked, because that definitely held things back more under Ian on more than one occasion with the game cast.

Especially during the "10 page storys phase" of the nu252...