Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

As good as Jack Lawrence is, I really hope Evan Stanley can return to the main book soon. I really miss her Sonic. I kinda wish Tangle and Whisper got the new artists instead of the main book.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Some people associate that with the Freedom Fighters, so they won't go for it.

But...the Resistance? Though maybe it doesn't count since it was SEGA who opened that can of worms.

7 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

I assume iBooks has a preview, but found them on the Sonic wiki.

Though every time I try to open the page in a new tab it redirects me to the wiki main page. Why does it do that I have no idea.

It might work to go to the wiki on a different browser. I've been having the same problem with images on that wiki specifically for a while, but I realized a day or two ago that I hadn't tried using another browser and to my surprise it worked.

26 minutes ago, Celestia said:

But...the Resistance? Though maybe it doesn't count since it was SEGA who opened that can of worms.

People haven't been interested in the Resistance either, though.

Probably cause the comic hasn't done much of interest with it.

The resistance was disbanded after the Master Overlord thing anyway. Its just been Amy at a call center from then on with the (interrupted) Restoration effort.

The cast is still well organized and working with one another for the most part. Team Dark and Team Chaotix kind of went off to do their own thing. And, even now, Rouge has disappeared. It certainly hasn't felt the same as what was going on with Forces or the Freedom Fighters. Its mostly been about helping with evacuation and helping people find shelter while Tails works on a cure.

I must say that I love the juxstapoisition with how Barracade Town looked back with Rough and Tumble and how it looks now. I love observing contrasting atmosphere in stories like this. I wish Forces had done that better with the original chained up, prison in Green Hill's concept art instead of throwing some sand in the background for the final product.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I must say that I love the juxstapoisition with how Barracade Town looked back with Rough and Tumble and how it looks now. I love observing contrasting atmosphere in stories like this. I wish Forces had done that better with the original chained up, prison in Green Hill's concept art instead of throwing some sand in the background for the final product.

Was it supposed to be a prison?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Was it supposed to be a prison?

I don't know. I'm calling it a prison though since it would make the most sense to me based on the way it looks. It could have been a typical Eggman base but it doesn't really matter what it originally was because it was scrapped, which is a shame. Would have given Green Hill an actual reason to be there.

A nice "Before and After" thing would have gone a long way to shave off a bit of that Green Hill fatigue. Changing the dirt to sand certainly didn't do it.

Image result for sonic forces green hill concept art

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I don't know. I'm calling it a prison though since it would make the most sense to me based on the way it looks. It could have been a typical Eggman base but it doesn't really matter what it originally was because it was scrapped, which is a shame. Would have given Green Hill an actual reason to be there.

A nice "Before and After" thing would have gone a long way to shave off a bit of that Green Hill fatigue. Changing the dirt to sand certainly didn't do it.

Image result for sonic forces green hill concept art

Woah. You're right--I'm getting All Dogs Go to Heaven vibes, for example.

The barbed wire looks a little weird though, ngl.

I can't wait to start this. I just ordered this month's issue and subscribed to a place who will send you an issue every month it comes out. I am excited!

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

It might work to go to the wiki on a different browser. I've been having the same problem with images on that wiki specifically for a while, but I realized a day or two ago that I hadn't tried using another browser and to my surprise it worked.

Which one did you use that works? Tried Chrome but it doesn't work. Firefox?

32 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I can't wait to start this. I just ordered this month's issue and subscribed to a place who will send you an issue every month it comes out. I am excited!

You're lucky!!

The series is so much better when you binge read everyhting at once instead of waiting 2 months for each issue

14 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Which one did you use that works? Tried Chrome but it doesn't work. Firefox?

Chrome is the one I used that worked, so that's...weird.

35 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

You're lucky!!

The series is so much better when you binge read everyhting at once instead of waiting 2 months for each issue

Yeah, that's sorta what I'm thinking would help.

In Archie, stuff from SatAM, AoStH and at the time relevant Boom were allowed into the comic for crossovers with the main universe, but not Sonic X characters. Do you think this could change with IDW? IF the human world is available, which I think it is, and considering they will be soon streaming Season 3 in Japan for the first time, and Sonic X being added to Netflix in US and Europe, could Sega change their minds about Sonic X stuff in comics?

Like, I don't want to see Chris, but I'd welcome the other humans, Cosmo and the Metarex, even Chris could potentially be retooled to be better, like he could replace Hope for Shadow, obviously Topaz for Rouge, Cosmo for Tails to interact with, I do think good could come from it, even with them in few appearances.

I can actually see it happen now, the other "canon immigrants" as the other topic calls them, depends... Sega may want the Freedom Fighters out because they want to take distances from the Archie book, but if they were taken directly from SatAM, I dunno, same for Sticks, she's no longer relevant so she may be included, it really depends if Sega will approve something from Boom, despite them dropping it as a sub brand. I don't know, right now stuff from X seems more likely, as for the SSSSS Squad, not sure either. The best outcome would definitely be having characters from all these dead cartoons.

9 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

IF the human world is available, which I think it is, and considering they will be soon streaming Season 3 in Japan for the first time, and Sonic X being added to Netflix in US and Europe, could Sega change their minds about Sonic X stuff in comics?

If the show still continuing to be rerun on American TV to this day, or still being widely available on streaming services, or getting Blu-ray rereleases didn’t change their mind already, then neither will this.

As much as I want to get the trades there's a part of me that's hoping they do a hardcover collection like they do for Transformers, G.I. Joe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Ghostbusters. 

Just a collection of 16 issues per volume would be nice. 

On 10/31/2019 at 5:49 PM, Almar said:

This comic will never achieve its potential as long as Ian has to write around Iizuka and Co's ridiculous decrees like Sonic living in a totally separate planet/dimension from humans.

Long time lurker here, just came to say that I can see a possibility for it to work. I mean really, the only kind of mobians we ever see interact with the humans were Sonic and co. so it's possible they're relying on that fact. Plus, humans haven't really been important for a long while so maybe this is their way of doing a soft reboot.

Can I just say I don't think Sega's rules are really that restrictive? 

He can't cry but there's been other ways of showing that he's upset. He's run ragged and is clearly feeling the weight of the Metal Virus. 

He can't have relatives. I don't really see the problem here. For the most part outside of maybe Uncle Chuck the relatives in Archie weren't all that interesting and they'd add basically nothing that "Sonic has parents I guess".

He can't lose. This one I feel people just flat out misunderstand. He's hardly winning right now. The idea is that he can't suffer a permanent loss which is like just basic storytelling. He can lose but has to come back from it.

No Romance for Sonic. Good. I personally don't think this is the kind of series for romance. We've been through shitty love triangles in Archie and whatever the Elise romance was in 06. I'm not against romance and wouldn't mind seeing one with the original characters but nothing like the BS we've gotten before. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

33 minutes ago, WeepingMildew said:

Long time lurker here, just came to say that I can see a possibility for it to work. I mean really, the only kind of mobians we ever see interact with the humans were Sonic and co. so it's possible they're relying on that fact. Plus, humans haven't really been important for a long while so maybe this is their way of doing a soft reboot.

There was enough hints in the pre-Unleashed games of humans interacting with funny animals besides Sonic and Co. (like the Echidna's ruins happening to be within train distance of Station Square).

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

He can't cry but there's been other ways of showing that he's upset. He's run ragged and is clearly feeling the weight of the Metal Virus. 

There are two emotional states. Emotion (crying) and No Emotion (everything else). 

Spoiler

For the record, I'm pretty sure he can actually cry, assuming the mandates are the same as Archie. He starts tearing up when he reunites with Chuck in one of the early reboot issues. He just can't bawl.

Basically this. Never let Sonic do this again:

3-A5-F662-D-6-F4-C-472-F-8-A81-7-FDAB574
07-F7-D219-52-E3-40-DA-880-B-866-F3-A261

Honesty kind of surprised these panels have never been meme’d or anything.

EDIT: this neither

latest?cb=20180805032028

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, Noodle Panda said:

07-F7-D219-52-E3-40-DA-880-B-866-F3-A261

Wow, this is Sonic.

This is actually pretty negative all on its own.

NO!

Is he suppose to be younger here?

That's amazing.

Obviously, he was holding back after that green-eye inducing space trip, it was just traumatic enough and his father being "gone" was the breaking point.

1 hour ago, Heckboy said:

There are two emotional states. Emotion (crying) and No Emotion (everything else). 

Reveal hidden contents

For the record, I'm pretty sure he can actually cry, assuming the mandates are the same as Archie. He starts tearing up when he reunites with Chuck in one of the early reboot issues. He just can't bawl.

I'm just saying crying is literally the only thing I ever see people talking about. 

Also I agree he can cry he's had tears several times just not bawl which I don't know kinda seems like what people are asking for when they say he should cry.