Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

8 minutes ago, Eerie-Ernest-Panda said:

Have the crew not actually hired an interior artist(s) yet?

It's impossible that they haven't, they are working on the first 4 issues contemporarily.

21 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

It honestly seems like SEGA's sentenced Boom to death. I wouldn't be surprised if the show wasn't renewed for another season and that was the end of it.

All the more reason to bring Sticks into the main universe, I don't want her to die.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

40 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So do you guys think after a while, they could consider making another Boom Comic series?

Depends if boom keeps being a thing

You will at least get to see sticks again I feel. She can be moved if things go south, 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

So do you guys think after a while, they could consider making another Boom Comic series?

I wouldn't read it, so I wouldn't care if they did.

Sticks is welcome to join the main verse tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

Archie/Sega struck while the iron was hot when it came to the Boom comic. I don't see another one coming this late in the game, especially with Boom's future so uncertain.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, NikoS said:

i think what @KingScoopaKoopa meant was, he did not feel like a full time member, he sure is part of the Freedom Fighters, but he is also a wanderer, often going out on his own adventures (with or without Tails), and reuniting with the team for global like threats, it's what felt like just before the beggining of the Shattered World Crisis, and that's the direction it was seemingly aiming to after it's end ("Branching Paths" and the FF universe arc)

Yeah, basically, sort of like how Batman considered himself a part-timer for the Justice League.

• Thumbs Up 2

Realistically, I can see Sticks simply being in the main comic and maybe a Boom one-shot. Maybe later down the line Boom elements being woven into the new universe IDW crafts? 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Realistically, I can see Sticks simply being in the main comic and maybe a Boom one-shot. Maybe later down the line Boom elements being woven into the new universe IDW crafts? 

Maybe they could introduce an alternate version of Hedgheog Village? 

4 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Whoa, wait. What?

He has rebeled against that very authority he supported. Motherfucker committed straight up treason at least twice (and I'm sure he did this a lot more than I remember) and only got off due to either a technicality or because other people in power supported what he did and pulled strings.

You're going to have to refresh my memory then. If it's something that happened before Issue 160 then it's likely not going to be something I recall or even really experienced.

4 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

There's a bit of background behind it that was brought up during Naugus's dropping into the kingdom--every in the kingdom was tense and mixed about everything after the Iron Dominion took over.

He was more hesitant being seen as commiting treason given that the people he was trying to protect were actually considering giving Naugus power--really, how would you feel if the very people you stood up and defended decided to go someone else who used to be an enemy to everyone for protection, despite you knowing full and well it's a bad idea? Mind you, Sonic wasn't going to just stop fighting Naugus, especially telling the council to their face that he was more than willing to commit treason (tho not in those words) when they're being stupid, but he was in a rock and a hard place where rebelling would have done more harm to his cause than he would have wanted despite his good intentions.

And it was only because Eggman showed up with the second Death Egg that cut their conflict short.

I know all this. I don't really care.

The situation he was in isn't something I cared about. To me, the issue was that it was something I couldn't get over seeing Sonic do because in my mind, the character caring about any of their talk of treason and authority was so bafflingly alien to me that it bothered me. I honestly just wished in that moment that Sonic's entire position within the story weren't what it was. 

I didn't say that it didn't make sense for him to respond that way. Considering the kind of story they were writing and the kind of character Archie Sonic is, it makes sense I guess... I'm just using it as an example of why I wasn't super jazzed about the way Sonic was portrayed in the book. 

7 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I have a tough question to ask: before the reboot, did you feel the comic went down in quality? 

It certainly felt rushed and gutted. But we all know why. The crossover was good though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a tough question to ask: before the reboot, did you feel the comic went down in quality? 

Me personally?

The comic was always up and down for me in one way or another, however, I do think it dramatically improved in quality overall the more it went on for me. I don't know if it was because I was still trying to get used to the new setting, the new characters, and how different the ones I was familiar with were but I have a feeling that my opinions on the older stories I was introduced to wouldn't be that much different then they are now.

I found the Iron Dominion Arc to be better than the collection of stories surrounding Issue 200 for example. Despite me denouncing bits of it above, the issues surrounding Naugus's return were a lot of fun for me. Not just because the kingdom felt like it was falling apart and that made for a semi-interesting change of events (despite not really caring too much about Sonic's opinion about it) but also because Naugus was a fun villain and Geoffery's turn made him someone I suddenly cared about. 

The heavy situations that led up to the Mecha Sally thing and a few of the issues immediately after it were good. The initially dreariness of how down everyone felt was interesting to see, as it contrasted greatly with the "We always win!" feel I got from before. However, it then led into a really long boring stretch where nothing was happening. 

During the point where Thrash showed up and made all the echidnas disappear I was really enjoying the book while everyone else was hating on it ironically. It was mostly because a major change had actually happened after such a long time of thumb twiddling. It felt a little more like the atmosphere was shifting in a way that provided for a good amount of conflict and consequence again. Things stagnated a whole lot when they were just chasing Mecha Sally around.  I remember this really pointless detour they made with the wolf people who were still feuding against another tribe or something. I can't for the life of me remember what was going on there. Drago showed up... 

I know the echidnas leaving was a result of Ken Penderp but if I were to find the good in the bad, it would be that it finally forced the book to do something drastic to re-awaken my interest again. I was wondering quite a bit what Ian was going to do to write around things that couldn't be referenced much due to the legal issues happening at the time. It was a very interesting point in time for the comics and it said a lot about the guy's talent that he managed to pull something off. 

So no, I don't feel it went down in quality. I thought it went up a bit. 

Then the reboot happened and it got even better as far as I'm concerned. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

17 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I don't understand, do you mean like right before the reboot. OR the comics entire run, because if the latter, I would argue that a good chunk of not most of the comic stayed at low quality

11 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't understand, do you mean like right before the reboot. OR the comics entire run, because if the latter, I would argue that a good chunk of not most of the comic stayed at low quality

The first one.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

In fact, I think it got better.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Alrighty; anyway, do you think the first 4 issues will be sort of like introductory stories where Sonic and his friends are introduced than the vomics get into the main plot? Like in the first episodes of some animes.

I wonder if they will go into backstories for any of the characters, or will the first four issue arc be as far back as we will get to see and that's the "beginning".

I remember Ian had plans for the Hooligans to get some development on that front, he kept mentioning having a solid story planned for Bark especially. We were also coming up to what looked like a Sega Sonic Arcade arc in Archie before the breaks were put on. That likely would have finally had some Mighty and Ray development, as well as how they met Sonic etc which is a shame we won't get to see. 

Would the "no classic" be at all, or was it meant as in "It's not going to be like Mega Drive but we can still use the designs should we tell a past story" kind of no classic. Cause it was great fan service when they told past stories using the older designs to depict that.

• Nice Smile 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

You're going to have to refresh my memory then. If it's something that happened before Issue 160 then it's likely not going to be something I recall or even really experienced.

Yeah, these were events before 160, so if that's the case then nevermind. It'll take longer than I'd like to go through and recap things.

6 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I know all this. I don't really care.

The situation he was in isn't something I cared about. To me, the issue was that it was something I couldn't get over seeing Sonic do because in my mind, the character caring about any of their talk of treason and authority was so bafflingly alien to me that it bothered me. I honestly just wished in that moment that Sonic's entire position within the story weren't what it was. 

I didn't say that it didn't make sense for him to respond that way. Considering the kind of story they were writing and the kind of character Archie Sonic is, it makes sense I guess... I'm just using it as an example of why I wasn't super jazzed about the way Sonic was portrayed in the book. 

I'd say fair enough, but that's something to chalk up as an alternative characterization due to having a different developmental history in this continuity.

With Archie Sonic being a combination of an adventurer and soldier who has a pretty stable home and life compared to the others where he's more of a vagabond, that just seems to be a natural expectation of things.

I'd understand if it's the games where circumstances are different, but when you mix expectations like that you're bound to be disappointed when things don't match up. In a way, that's why I always make it a point to emphasize that alternate characterization, given that the flow of one setting isn't always going to be the same as that from the other. Kinda like comparing Marvel or DC Comics to their Cartoons or Movies.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Alrighty; anyway, do you think the first 4 issues will be sort of like introductory stories where Sonic and his friends are introduced than the vomics get into the main plot? Like in the first episodes of some animes.

Nah, they'll probably assume we already know everyone.

11 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Maybe they could introduce an alternate version of Hedgheog Village? 

I hope not, it's worse than Sonic being stuck in a ship, Sonic being stuck... in a town.

43 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

I hope not, it's worse than Sonic being stuck in a ship, Sonic being stuck... in a town.

I want Sonic to be stuck in a room next.

5 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I'd say fair enough, but that's something to chalk up as an alternative characterization due to having a different developmental history in this continuity.

With Archie Sonic being a combination of an adventurer and soldier who has a pretty stable home and life compared to the others where he's more of a vagabond, that just seems to be a natural expectation of things.

I'd understand if it's the games where circumstances are different, but when you mix expectations like that you're bound to be disappointed when things don't match up. In a way, that's why I always make it a point to emphasize that alternate characterization, given that the flow of one setting isn't always going to be the same as that from the other. Kinda like comparing Marvel or DC Comics to their Cartoons or Movies.

I'm sorry but this is all stuff I've already said and admitted to. I used it as an example of why I didn't and don't like the kind of character Archie Sonic is. I'm really not sure what it is you're trying to get across to me here.