Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

6 minutes ago, Razule said:

Wait, where?

Eggman quoted Open your Heart during his speech with Sonic.

I love how everyone had their hand on the fucking keyboard over that one.

18 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

>another fucking forced lyrics reference

Hahahaha this comic sucks so bad. This is worse than Shattered World at this point. It just keeps going on and on and on because Ian can't fucking pace a story.

"but idw made him do it cuz trades"

Who the fuck cares. He's been at this shit for 13 years. Write a bunch of strong short stories. If you're forced to do a saga for a year or more, write a bunch of connected four-parters or something. This shit has no flow or creativity to it. It's just things happening all over the place. Total fucking garbage.

If a lyrical reference makes this irrational, then perhaps you should not be reading this comic?

• Thumbs Up 2

It’s really silly to call it worse than Shattered World when it’s been running for barely a year. Come back if and when the zombot arc hits the 3 year mark.

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Eggman quoted Open your Heart during his speech with Sonic.

I love how everyone had their hand on the fucking keyboard over that one.

Ah, don't know how I missed that. I thought that line sounded kind of awkward.

16 minutes ago, Razule said:

Ah, don't know how I missed that. I thought that line sounded kind of awkward.

Probably because it fits the conversation just well enough before you notice it.

Sometimes his lyrical dialogue fits...and other times it does not. I admit, I did chuckle when I realized what it was referencing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel dumb for not realising that was a reference, I thought it was just a general interesting viewpoint Eggman had, and Sonic countered it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I feel dumb for not realising that was a reference, I thought it was just a general interesting viewpoint Eggman had, and Sonic countered it.

It doesn't flow like natural dialogue, which is what immediately tipped me off that something was off about it until I realized what it was from . 

Just now, Kuzu said:

It doesn't flow like natural dialogue, which is what immediately tipped me off that something was off about it until I realized what it was from . 

I guess for me, I didn't notice it because Sonic's just beyond utterly exhausted at this point, and cutting the chase with a lot of his dialogue, so I naturally assumed he cut straight to calling Eggman's bullshit.

Which in hindsight, I can see how it's off now, but *shrug*

• Thumbs Up 1

If you didn't know exactly what it was referencing, it probably doesn't stand out much. Variations on that exact line appear in tons of media.

2 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

If you didn't know exactly what it was referencing, it probably doesn't stand out much. Variations on that exact line appear in tons of media.

Yeah, I thought it was just an awkward way of trying to make that type of line sound unique.

20 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

I think it stands out quite a bit.

Stuff like that works better for monologues than dialogue, not the good kind of cheesy.

i am liking the zombot arc so far myself. yeah sonic, you tried changing robotnik back to mr tinker but you oughto know better that bad guys sometimes stays as bad guys. But dr robotnik was a complete dirty coward and a big wuss. its full of suspense so far thats for sure because its quite dark with no funny events happening. its all about the hero having a very bad setback. but maybe in the future, there may be a miracle. who knows? anyway, looking forward to see more of it with tangle and whisper adding to the fray. 

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

So, Tangle gettin slimed next time, igh?

She's with Tails, Amy, and the rest on the Restoration's airship not in Spiral Hill. Still possible, she could get zombotified, but not guaranteed.

I thought the lyrical reference was dumb but it was a minor part in what was otherwise one of the strongest issues of the year IMO. Seeing Sonic hit a low point and Starline finally become disillusioned was satisfying. Things are finally starting to pay off. 

I only wish a more major development happened with Eggman. I really wanted Sonic to infect him and all 3 of them to leave the situation shaken up. I'm sure it'll happen at some point though.

I felt like this arc has been fairly predictable so far but I actually have no idea how this thing with the Deadly Six will shake out. Surely Zavok would have developed a counter for the conch by now. Arc has taken a while to get to the point but I'm pretty excited with how it's shaping up.

• Thumbs Up 5

the fact that people are so upset at that lyrical reference makes me both laugh and cry. Honestly any other nitpick would be fine... why that? 

32 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

the fact that people are so upset at that lyrical reference makes me both laugh and cry. Honestly any other nitpick would be fine... why that? 

Who's upset?

One person right?

43 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I only wish a more major development happened with Eggman. I really wanted Sonic to infect him and all 3 of them to leave the situation shaken up. I'm sure it'll happen at some point though.

I actually agree with that. I think it would've been interesting to tie up the whole plot point about Sonic nearly giving up entirely and letting the virus take him if maybe due to exhaustion, and sheer anger because of Eggman's refusal to make a cure, he ends up letting his self-control go and grabbing Eggman out of pure spite.

The whole point with Sonic this whole issue is trying to get answers, and trying to mock Eggman for a failed plan, and telling him to get busy on a cure. You can tell this issue is the point where Sonic is at his most desperate, and his breaking point. Usually, Sonic would not do something like infecting Eggman with this, but I think given the context of him being utterly exhausted, him feeling like a total screw-up, Eggman's longing gaze towards Mr. Tinker before completely shooting it down, and having the nerve to claim that not only is he/Sonic more similar than Sonic would care to believe, but completely shoots down any idea of becoming good, and undoing the horrific mess that he created.

I think that should've been the breaking point of Sonic. With all three attempts for Tails to make a cure now gone, with Resistance HQ gone along with a metric ton of the planet along with it, and Eggman refusing to lift a finger despite knowing how much danger he's in himself, plus his mocking that Sonic will soon be his slave, I think it would've fit the theme where Sonic just goes completely for broke, infects Eggman on purpose to force either him or Starline to develop a cure, only to immediately regret it once he realises he basically doomed another life that won't have as much of a chance to survive because Eggman can't shed the infection off.

It gives payoff to Starline pointing out that Eggman was so short-sighted not to make them immune to the cure, as well as Eggman's own boast of "don't let them touch you, duh". Considering that Eggman still felt the need to fight for another fight with Sonic, when the two could've just travelled to another infected village and left Sonic to his own borrowed time, it would've been a perfect payoff for Eggman's callousness throughout.

• Thumbs Up 6

Hmm, I find that angle both interesting and quietingly dark; Sonic succumbing to his emotions and willingly infecting Eggman feels like crossing a certain line. But I do admit it feels like this is where such a thing makes most sense to do . 

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I actually agree with that. I think it would've been interesting to tie up the whole plot point about Sonic nearly giving up entirely and letting the virus take him if maybe due to exhaustion, and sheer anger because of Eggman's refusal to make a cure, he ends up letting his self-control go and grabbing Eggman out of pure spite.

The whole point with Sonic this whole issue is trying to get answers, and trying to mock Eggman for a failed plan, and telling him to get busy on a cure. You can tell this issue is the point where Sonic is at his most desperate, and his breaking point. Usually, Sonic would not do something like infecting Eggman with this, but I think given the context of him being utterly exhausted, him feeling like a total screw-up, Eggman's longing gaze towards Mr. Tinker before completely shooting it down, and having the nerve to claim that not only is he/Sonic more similar than Sonic would care to believe, but completely shoots down any idea of becoming good, and undoing the horrific mess that he created.

I think that should've been the breaking point of Sonic. With all three attempts for Tails to make a cure now gone, with Resistance HQ gone along with a metric ton of the planet along with it, and Eggman refusing to lift a finger despite knowing how much danger he's in himself, plus his mocking that Sonic will soon be his slave, I think it would've fit the theme where Sonic just goes completely for broke, infects Eggman on purpose to force either him or Starline to develop a cure, only to immediately regret it once he realises he basically doomed another life that won't have as much of a chance to survive because Eggman can't shed the infection off.

It gives payoff to Starline pointing out that Eggman was so short-sighted not to make them immune to the cure, as well as Eggman's own boast of "don't let them touch you, duh". Considering that Eggman still felt the need to fight for another fight with Sonic, when the two could've just travelled to another infected village and left Sonic to his own borrowed time, it would've been a perfect payoff for Eggman's callousness throughout.

I personally don't  think sonic should ever do that. It's less about lines , and more about flaws. And I dunno sonic being am optimist to the end, to a fault is his bag. It's what makes sonic...function

I have a weird idea about what happens though given one of the previews

Though I could be wrong.

Just now, Shadowlax said:

I personally don't  think sonic should ever do that. It's less about lines , and more about flaws. And I dunno sonic being am optimist to the end, to a fault is his bag. It's what makes sonic...function

I have a weird idea about what happens though given one of the previews

Though I could be wrong.

It's not really a matter of being optimistic anymore, Sonic is literally at the end of his rope, Eggman has thrown away every chance to make a cure, and Sonic is at his most desperate to get one. 

He's already doubting himself heavily now because it was his exact line of optimism that led to a zombot infestation, he's running on fumes, the chances of a cure is getting less and less likely moment by moment, and Eggman just shoved Sonic's kindness back in his face by claiming Mr. Tinkerer mattered absolutely nothing to him, and this is his grand calling.

The cool thing about a story idea like this is putting Sonic into a situation that we can never see him in, and this is the chance for it. He's mentally and physically exhausted, he's lost tons of friends, and pretty much the entire world because of his own mess up, and Sonic's quite literally run out of options at this point. He's desperate to try get Eggman to make a cure, first by trying to appeal to the good in him via Mr. Tinkerer, and then trying to battle and reveal flaw after flaw in his plan to convince Eggman to just back down, and nothing works. Eggman has the upper hand, while Sonic is just utterly destroyed in nearly every way. 

That's meant to be the interesting point here, it's not so much Sonic intentionally trying to do harm, or at least end Eggman's life, but with him in the state that he's in, where he clearly can't think straight anymore, and can't keep his head together, Sonic is so utterly desperate for a solution, and drove to a breaking point that he infects Eggman because it's the only way Sonic sees Eggman ever considering make a cure - because then it's in his own self-interest to do so.

Sonic might immediately regret it when he comes back to his senses, but in a narrative sense, that is a good emotional payoff for everything so far. He does something without thinking due to pure desperation and exhaustion, mixed with anger, he's trying to save everyone instead of directly harming Eggman, and it forces Sonic to look at himself now at his lowest, which would tie into him nearly giving into the virus before getting a last burst of speed to shred it off again.

That's already the reason the issue is so strong, because it forces Sonic into a position he's uncomfortable in, and drives him to a place he hasn't been before. Just that extra push into making him cross the line, even for a brief second would lead to an interesting character development moment for the rest of the arc.

• Thumbs Up 2