Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

17 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

I was kinda hoping Sonic would infect Eggman in this issue. Sonic can be pretty vicious, possibly even more-so than Shadow, when he's pushed over the edge.

In the heat of the moment I don't think it would be at all out of character for him to grab Eggman or knock him into the zombot horde.

I was thinking of the first when Dark Sonic was mentioned earlier.

11 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Not every new facet introduced to a character is interesting. When introducing some new thing to a character you need to think about what does it do narrative for that character and the story.

Tell me something I don’t actually know, because I’ve been discussing story, narrative, and characterization for the past several years to a decade saying just that when people were wanting Knuckles around for literally no reason while giving no such privilege to any character post-SA2.

And for either of those it does nothing  , in case you forgot the entire reason this happening is sonic thought keeping eggman alive was good. Not only just because of amnesia, but because he really believed that eggman helped and having him around would be good that even if he went back to being a bad guy that's his life and there was some inherent goodness in him. So to have sonic just willingly infect eggman, would basically be sonic murdering eggman slowly.

Given that Eggman committed straight up bioterrorism in the form of a technological plague that would make Resident Evil’s Umbrella Corp envious, infecting Eggman with his own virus wouldn’t be any less karmic to leaving Eggman stranded in space, blowing up his vehicles with him in it, or any punishment short of actually executing him.

Sonic’s not someone who kills in cold blood, but for all his heroics he certainly isn’t a saint either. The guy’s willing to destroy an entire country’s armed force rather than stand trial for a crime he didn’t commit, I wouldn’t put it past Sonic to infect someone with a physical touch of their own virus for karma’s sake.

And that's just not his jam, but also in this narrative. It would just render the entire purpose of the narrative moot. The whole point that there was a clash of ideas, if you go " oops shadow was right " what was the entire point. Along with that, upon doing so just opens the entire book up to " Why doesn't sonic just kill eggman " which is a question you shouldn't be asking. It removes the entire dynamic he has tried to push between sonic and shadow. It removes the entire cat and mouse dynamic he has with eggman because " why doesn't he just kill him. When you do things like this you introduce questions and scenarios to the audience and a question like  that basically kills the entire dynamic of the comic.  You loose so many things and gain nothing. Its edgyness for edgyness's sake and it doesn't work for the character or this narrative

No, if anything, proving Shadow was right goes to show the very flaw in Sonic’s sense of mercy given that it just came to bite him in the ass in the most severe way possible: in the form of an apocalypse that’s gradually worsening every moment.

It doesn’t remove any dynamic, it shows the consequences of a choice—Sonic was already warned prior to any of this that letting Eggman go, even with amnesia and a personality change, after he previously started a global war that claimed who knows how many lives to stop was a bad move. Heck, it shows the consequences for Shadow for going along with Sonic plea for mercy of an amnesiac Eggman, because he wanted to make sure Eggman never had a chance to ruin the world again and was willing to do the deed so no one else would have to worry about it—he relented to Sonic, and when Eggman went missing, a techno-plague began to erupt. That Shadow was right to begin with only enflames the whole debacle and reinforces the kind of cruel person that Eggman is and begs the question of what more this man would be capable of if delivering a literal plague onto people’s houses isn’t beyond him, and what it would take to stop him. Introducing more questions and scenarios doesn’t kill anything.

8 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Tell me something I don’t actually know, because I’ve been discussing story, narrative, and characterization for the past several years to a decade saying just that when people were wanting Knuckles around for literally no reason while giving no such privilege to any character post-SA2.

People were probably just used to Knuckles being a part of the main cast by that point given his  numerous appearances and dynamic with Sonic. 

Meanwhile, many of the characters after him were more catered to a specific niche or setup that wasn't as comfortable. Heck, even Shadow has proven to be one of the worse about that at times. 

8 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Sonic’s not someone who kills in cold blood, but for all his heroics he certainly isn’t a saint either. The guy’s willing to destroy an entire country’s armed force rather than stand trial for a crime he didn’t commit, I wouldn’t put it past Sonic to infect someone with a physical touch of their own virus for karma’s sake.

Pretty much. 

11 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

I mean, despite being pushed over the edge, Sonic didn't kill Ezazor or Merlina though.

Only because he couldn't: We see nothing in-game to contradict Erazor's claim of immortality. Merlina simply slaps down any attack Sonic makes and is also functionally immortal at this point since Sonic doesn't have the Sacred Swords to counteract the scabbard's power (Sonic has gotten a hold of himself again by the time he gets the power to stand against her).

Besides, its not like Sonic hasn't killed before even when he isn't pissed: He definitely killed Emerl and King Arthur on-screen; he had a hand in killing Biolizard and Solaris; and he presumably killed Dark Gaia and did his part against the Black Arms.

50 minutes ago, Bowbowis said:

Only because he couldn't: We see nothing in-game to contradict Erazor's claim of immortality. Merlina simply slaps down any attack Sonic makes and is also functionally immortal at this point since Sonic doesn't have the Sacred Swords to counteract the scabbard's power (Sonic has gotten a hold of himself again by the time he gets the power to stand against her).

Besides, its not like Sonic hasn't killed before even when he isn't pissed: He definitely killed Emerl and King Arthur on-screen; he had a hand in killing Biolizard and Solaris; and he presumably killed Dark Gaia and did his part against the Black Arms.

True, though I feel like out of those, Emerl is the closest to mattering in this sense.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

The only one he didn't want to "kill" out of those few.

That too.

Biolizard, Iblis, and Dark Gaia(who will probably reincarnate anyway) were mindless beasts that were out to destroy the world and King Arthur was a magical construct.

Emerl, while technically a robot, had grown and shown enough autonomy before Eggman caused his original programming to take hold, thus there was more weight behind his death and the fact that Sonic didn't want it either played a part.

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

PREVIEWS

Oh, so when she said they'd settle this where it started, she was talking about herself.

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Biolizard, Iblis, and Dark Gaia(who will probably reincarnate anyway) were mindless beasts that were out to destroy the world and King Arthur was a magical construct.

Dark Gaia was a counterpart to Chip, whom despite being an embodiment of a force of nature was not a mindless beast... Do we immediately classify DG as a mindless beast, considering he was only doing his job in balancing the natural order?

16 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Dark Gaia was a counterpart to Chip, whom despite being an embodiment of a force of nature was not a mindless beast... Do we immediately classify DG as a mindless beast, considering he was only doing his job in balancing the natural order?

Exactly. Eggman thought he could control him as could Chaos and Iblis. We all know how that turned out. IQ 300 - Common Sense 0.

15 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Exactly. Eggman thought he could control him as could Chaos and Iblis. We all know how that turned out. IQ 300 - Common Sense 0.

lol

if I had an IQ that high, I'd probably be too full of myself to consider the alternate consequences as well.

Seriously, people that smart would inevitably fall into the Hubris category. Its no wonder all his plans get undone by the overlooking of the little details. 

40 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Well, yeah.

Light Gaia, as the restorer of life, would have greater need for sentience than Dark Gaia. Not to mention they were both prematurely awakened and needed to be put back where they belong until that time comes.

And since they and the Emeralds are part of the natural order, I would think Super Sonic didn't kill him permanently and they simply regenerate within the magma

22 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

To be somewhat fair, I think he was more interested in harnessing the raw power over having Dark Gaia itself around to control. Not that that means anything when his efforts ultimately meant putting it back together, but still.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

That too.

Emerl, while technically a robot, had grown and shown enough autonomy before Eggman caused his original programming to take hold, thus there was more weight behind his death and the fact that Sonic didn't want it either played a part.

Worth noting that the first hint as to Arthur's true nature was his body vanishing like a Knight of the Underworld. Sonic's entire mission for the first half of the game was to kill what he thought was a human being.

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

People were probably just used to Knuckles being a part of the main cast by that point given his  numerous appearances and dynamic with Sonic. 

Meanwhile, many of the characters after him were more catered to a specific niche or setup that wasn't as comfortable. Heck, even Shadow has proven to be one of the worse about that at times. 

Even then, it made little sense back then when it was done to scapegoat the extended cast for the series’s problems, the logic behind it being that he was around when the games were good inspite if the fact that he and the cast as a whole were having problems.

18 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Even then, it made little sense back then when it was done to scapegoat the extended cast for the series’s problems, the logic behind it being that he was around when the games were good inspite if the fact that he and the cast as a whole were having problems.

Sounds about right.

Rereads last issue

If that one line from sonic like 3 issues ago was foreshadowing , I'm going to laugh my ass off. Doesn't fix my issues with this arc, but It will be hilarious in a surprise kinda way

On 11/29/2019 at 8:12 PM, DabigRG said:
  Hide contents

That Blimpfish is still there.

Spoiler

you think its holding them?

34 minutes ago, Panda Claus said:

@Shadowlax what line?

Might be paraphrasing but

"you are too stubborn to be mind controlled "

I dunno, it was mentioned before that this is starting to ramp up and we are getting to the point where we get to the " underestimation " or " Betrayal " portion of the sonic production. I just think that either that betrayal is coming from a place people were not expecting. Or that help that one of the latter issues suggest sonic maybe getting might be stranger than we think.

Other prediction: Eggman gets bonked on the head again and becomes tinker and fixes it, and feels bad about it

On the note of the book itself. I don't like how this arc came about, that much is known. But this last issue was kinda...amazing? I hope they capitalize on the narrative they set up. Even though nothing happens and mostly a conversation, that conversation has a lot more in it than like some whole other issues. And given the context of what's going on , it means even more. While it might be boring for some, I could do for more issues that are, essentially just two characters talking.

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Hide contents

you think its holding them?

Spoiler

It generally held numerous Egg Pawn with Parachutes at standard size. Heck, i would've been surprised if one of them is basically flying it.

I hope this comic series will sell well like sonic products that are currently on the market especially the sonic posters, It is one of the most popular products for now