Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, caitash said:

Is the next main issue (number 24) really out on 25 December? Or did I miss something?

If I remember, that's next Wednesday, I think.

Just read Whisper and Tangle 4. It was alright--had some nice even fun moments in it, but I figured things would just wrap up kinda simply yesterday. 

3 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I didn't like it, easily the most anticlimactic part of the miniseries. Eh.

Hide contents

It's just… it. They capture Mimic, the end. Well executed but not much happens I guess?

Eh, at the end of the day, it was always gonna be a guy with knife. 

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

For me it's about the ride not the destination. That was gonna happen anyway. But Mimic might be the most dangerous villain because he shows no remorse at all, whereas Eggman showed a second of nostalgia for Mr. Tinker

Eh, not dangerous. Vile, maybe. 

Eggman technically has him beat on raw power and resources. 

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:
Spoiler

Army of badniks is inconsequential.

Spoiler

Was a tad surprised by that. Would've thought he'd bust out a Shadow Android or two to really rub it in.

Even is shape shifting is used with little imagination. Maybe if he had colorful personality I would forgive it, but he's just a stone killer, seen those before.

Spoiler

I will say that for one the lighting in this issue didn't really get his cold will to kill across and really rub in how venomous he is. 

I know that 'shape shifter' is an old hat, but
1 Flynn picked that hat
2 Double Trouble from She-Ra. Case Closed

Spoiler

I'm guessing that means he gets out in the next episode or two.

Overall I think this mini didn't reached it's full potential. It gives me this nagging feeling that Flynn could make it bigger and complex and stuff, but preferred to play it safe and maybe save something for a sequel.

I mean you gotta remember that this miniseries wasn't planned originally--it allegedly got a greenlight because of fan response. So it's entirely possible that Mimic was supposed to show up as part of a bigger/darker Sonic story before having his lot worked in here alongside Whisper's backstory--if he was planned to begin with.

I mean, writing Shape Snifter 101

Hide contents

Why he didn't changed form during fight?

That scary Vector, Sonic, Eggman, Shadow to tick off Whisper, etc

In animation it might be expensive, but this is comic. He could be in different form in every damn panel.

Yeah, this is sorta a part of what I mean.

3 hours ago, StaticMania said:

But learning how long Whisper's snout is -- is a big plus, so 10/10

...Wut.

...yeah gotta say this was a pretty underwhelming climax. The badnik army gets taken out without incident, Mimic's always been a scumbag so trying to appeal to his better nature seems like a waste of time, the fight itself is pretty dull, and the "if you kill him you're just as bad" moment is such a cliche. The whole thing gets wrapped up with basically no emotional impact which is really disappointing when the previous issues were so much better about that.

The one thing I did kind of like is Whisper taking out that one platform, destroying part of her home, forcing herself to move on and let go and all that. It's not exactly a 10/10 moment but it's something.

• Thumbs Up 3

Here's a nice question for the Bumblekast: What would happen if Tangle for part of her tail cut off? 

Also,

Spoiler

I know it's unlikely, but what are the chances of Tails being replaced at some point?

Christmas Day is the same day as new comics release day. How comic shops handle it are different between whichever one you go to, but from asking my local shop, they’re intending to release them on Boxing Day (December 26th).

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Panda Claus said:

Hide contents

If Mimic was sent to prison, he’s almost certainly zombot’d by now.

Oh yeah, didn't even think of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

1) Shadow. He had rough start and is marketable

2) Blaze. She's has the worst popularity/appearances ratio I can think of.

3) Rouge, NEVER gets any focus. At least Big and Omega shine in comedic scenes.

4) Eventually Knuckles to balance his absence in Year 2. He is a Core Cast after all.

It’s hard to say, since just about every potential star is caught up in the zombot crisis.

Perhaps Blaze, in a series set in her universe.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just to clarify, the heroes who are still accounted for:

• Sonic
  • Tails
  • Amy
  • Cream
  • Espio
  • Silver
  • Tangle
  • Whisper

Did I miss anyone?

26 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you hope for next miniseries?

Kinda hard to hope for anything beyond the naked "a character getting paneltime."

57 minutes ago, Panda Claus said:

Hide contents

If Mimic was sent to prison, he’s almost certainly zombot’d by now.

Spoiler

Not for definite, ironically, the imprisonment that Tails put him into could have protected him from infection.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

New previews:

Hide contents

ELg6jAGWkAA2g0M.png

ELg6jAHWkAM1u9G.png

ELg6jMdWsAAcmSp.png

Kinda like the Pitbull girl. 

Spoiler

But on the real, poor Cream looks despondent.

24 minutes ago, Panda Claus said:

Just to clarify, the heroes who are still accounted for:

• Sonic
  • Tails
  • Cream
  • Espio
  • Silver
  • Tangle
  • Whisper

Did I miss anyone?

Amy, what's left of Omega, and possibly Big & Froggy.

37 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

1) Shadow. He had rough start and is marketable

2) Blaze. She's has the worst popularity/appearances ratio I can think of.

3) Rouge, NEVER gets any focus. At least Big and Omega shine in comedic scenes.

4) Eventually Knuckles to balance his absence in Year 2. He is a Core Cast after all.

Most of those are the most likely, especially right now. 

Personally, I'm hoping the priority would be Blaze, Rouge, Knuckles, and Shadow.

An Amy story(possibly with Cream and Gemerl, among others) could be enlightning, though.

3 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

So no androids huh? Are they just about? Maybe eggman shut em down.

That or saving whatevers left for a special occasion.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

That or saving whatevers left for a special occasion.

Roaming boss encounters maybe? Need a bad at the end of your story. Shadow andriod is about

23 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Roaming boss encounters maybe? Need a bad at the end of your story. Shadow andriod is about

Admittedly something I never thought about.

Shadow Androids, as offshoots of Shadow, would make pretty good elite mooks that can singlehandedly take on a couple of characters in a story. Especially since they casually toss missiles. 

Having read the Tangle and Whisper finale, yes it's pretty underwhelming. I was expecting a bigger emotional payoff or even some type of struggle, but things pretty much went smoothly from start to finish. 

It's not bad, just incredibly stale and basic after three issues of buildup. Oh well.

39 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Having read the Tangle and Whisper finale, yes it's pretty underwhelming. I was expecting a bigger emotional payoff or even some type of struggle, but things pretty much went smoothly from start to finish. 

It's not bad, just incredibly stale and basic after three issues of buildup. Oh well.

Honestly, it was a little doomed to be that.