Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, Zulon Eredas said:

Rough and Tumble. We know so little about them.

That'd be a surprise. 

Hm... I suppose they could help bring about another Criminal Underworld. If they were those kind of thugs anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I thought I was the only one who liked them

You thought wrong, bro. :👍

The first 3 issues of Tangle and Whisper were packed with great character work so it's a tad disappointing the finale feels a little hollow. Ian is definetly trying to leave room for some things to resurface later, but I wish it felt more conclusive as a story.

Even the fight was disappointing as a setpiece. I feel like that was an oppurtunity to show Tangle and Whisper's newfound symmetry but it doesn't come together like that.

• Thumbs Up 3

I was actually digging how 

Spoiler

Tangle manipulated Mimic into thinking she fell for the Sonic trick for a second time (likely because Mimic sees her as either dumb or shortsighted/naive), until she revealed it was leading him into a trap.

But then they ruined it for me a bit when they ended up revealing that the trap was just showing footage of the other mercenary members. Mimic is a unrepentant backstabber and coward, exactly what were they expecting? For him to have a change of heart? I don't get why Ian did it because it was a total no win situation. Either he has a moment where he feels repentant for his actions, which can be seen as cliched, or he says he doesn't give a shit, and then the trap is pointless, and makes Tangle/Whisper look silly for not having an actual trap for him.

It's a shame the finale just puttered out with no excitement considering the stronger first three issues. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The first 3 issues of Tangle and Whisper were packed with great character work so it's a tad disappointing the finale feels a little hollow. Ian is definetly trying to leave room for some things to resurface later, but I wish it felt more conclusive as a story.

That's sorta what I meant--this arc had a lot more personal development than any other issue so far and then it didn't break off in any particularly meaningful, effective, or satisfying way.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Even the fight was disappointing as a setpiece. I feel like that was an oppurtunity to show Tangle and Whisper's newfound symmetry but it doesn't come together like that.

Holy shit, I didn't even think of that.

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Hide contents

Tangle manipulated Mimic into thinking she fell for the Sonic trick for a second time (likely because Mimic sees her as either dumb or shortsighted/naive), until she revealed it was leading him into a trap.

But then they ruined it for me a bit when they ended up revealing that the trap was just showing footage of the other mercenary members. Mimic is a unrepentant backstabber and coward, exactly what were they expecting? For him to have a change of heart? I don't get why Ian did it because it was a total no win situation. Either he has a moment where he feels repentant for his actions, which can be seen as cliched, or he says he doesn't give a shit, and then the trap is pointless, and makes Tangle/Whisper look silly for not having an actual trap for him.

It's a shame the finale just puttered out with no excitement considering the stronger first three issues. 

I kinda feel like moment might've been a little more effective with the right lighting and panel work in lieu of animation, audio, and timing. At least in itself.

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Tangle having faith that showing him his comrades would at least shake him isn't OOC or anything so I was fine with that. 

This backstory and shedding a light on it was ultimately what this arc was about, so it made sense to bring it all back here. 

Yeah, I don't have a ton to say about this issue. I had an inkling at the back of my mind that because it was four issues, it was going to suffer from what I like to call "Sonic Universe Syndrome" where the first three issues are nicely paced and have well-enough set-up and then the fourth issue is a very fast, almost rushed finale. It happened so many times with Sonic Universe. 

The fights in these comics have always had sort of an issue where they're never given a ton of room to breathe. That's why my favorite ones are the ones where Sonic and Mega Man fight Bass and Metal Sonic in World's Collide and Issue 7 of the IDW series where Sonic faces off against Neo Metal Sonic. The fights last for the entire issue in both of those situations and neither need to worry about wrapping up plot-points for a conclusion because they both immediately lead into what happens next.

However, with Sonic Universe, the third issue would usually end with a full-page spread of the final boss battle opponent, hinting at something awesome coming, only for it to be wrapped up at the very beginning of the fourth issue because the rest of the comic needs space to actually conclude the arc. It's why I kept myself a little reserved when it came to this.

That said, this was a nice little character piece. I certainly hope this did well enough for some of the others to get their own.

Yeah it's kinda gets a wet fart of a conclusion. Why even have all those badniks? It felt pointless as they really don't change anything. Could have cut them out and we really wouldn't have lost anything. It all was comfortably handled and didn't really leave much for an interesting conclusion. Nice to see Tails for a bit even if he's basically just a plot device to put mimic away rather than really being a character. Oh well.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Hide contents

I think the idea was to show off how uncaring mimic was in detail and show off how much tangle and whisper cared. Like "this is our villain and these are our heroes". And I think on that level it works,  it's supposed to solidify he is infact bad and feels no remorse.

For me personally it's a bit refreshing. The main book as of currently is being floated by a very terrible shade of grey "should you kill a dictator". This stories bad guy isnt a super murderous dictator with aspirations of intergalactic donination. He's just a guy who wants money and stuff  and is willing to kill for it. Which is still bad, but not bad enough where the argument against killing him could be argued as stupid and arguments for killing him can be argued as a public service. He can be allowed to show how good tangle is and how far whisper has come by letting him live. He is used as a device to show you where the characters stand, and I think it works that way. They kind if did a better version of "hey maybe you shouldn't kill that guy" in 4 books than the last 2 years of the main book

I think the issue with this book is that ,bit doesn't need to exist. This book can litterally not exist and nothing changes about anything really and what little is important about this last book didn't even need to be a whole book. They could have exted the last three books about 3 pages and that could have been the story. This plot point about whispers growth comes to soon and feels rushed out the door to fill in a four book quota. Just whole pages filling for time

8 minutes ago, Winter Spirit Ultima said:

New RI cover for issue 24-

ELr2jezXkAIxgTc?format=jpg&name=large

This one is my favourite!

The hell?

Looks like we got a new artist.

Spoiler

Also, final color blaster?

On 12/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, Marco9966 said:

New previews:

Hide contents

ELg6jAGWkAA2g0M.png

ELg6jAHWkAM1u9G.png

ELg6jMdWsAAcmSp.png

Why is Sonic grabbing Espio's tail? Is he trying to spread the infection now?

40 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The hell?

Hide contents

How do you know?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

The hell?

Reveal hidden contents

Nope it's Nathalie Fourdraine, she's done most of the RI covers of the series. The coloring style is similar to the others.

13 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Because of the different colored swirls.

I mean how do you know there’s a new artist.

1 minute ago, Panda Claus said:

I mean how do you know there’s a new artist.

Oh. Isn't there a new name on the cover?

3 minutes ago, Winter Spirit Ultima said:

Nope it's Nathalie Fourdraine, she's done most of the RI covers of the series. The coloring style is similar to the others.

D'oh! Nevermind then.

2 hours ago, Bowbowis said:

Why is Sonic grabbing Espio's tail? Is he trying to spread the infection now?

He's not, it just some unlucky perspective work. You can see that Espio's tail is right behind Sonic's hand rather than in his palm.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh. Isn't there a new name on the cover?

D'oh! Nevermind then.

No you're right. Where the confusion is coming from is there IS a new name on the cover, "Curry" (I'm assuming this issues colorist) but it's not the cover artist.

19 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe he's using the Chaos Emeralds.

Hm, perhaps. Of course, he previously discouraged using even one.

10 hours ago, Terriful said:

No you're right. Where the confusion is coming from is there IS a new name on the cover, "Curry" (I'm assuming this issues colorist) but it's not the cover artist.

5 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Are you talking about Adam Bryce Thomas? 

Okay, so I was half right.

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe he's using the Chaos Emeralds.

Starline just said last issue that that was way too dangerous. I'm guessing it's meant to represent the D6; we already know Starline's planning to bring them in to control the zombots and the preview blurb for issue 25 sounds like they've done so.