Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

The problem that 'Boom' has is that it will ever be stuck with the stigma of 'Rise Of Lyric'. The show is excellent with very very clever dialogue but it is very much an action/comedy 10 minuite sketch show , and there's nothing wrong with thatif that's what you like -and I do like it. The Boom comics were as I think someone said it on here was Sega striking while the iron was hot and while the marketing machine was still pushing hard on the brand.  Don't get me wrong I really like Sonic Boom in general but I think Sega maybe look at it now as a bit of an experiment and will probably be left as that after season 2 is over. But I agree that Sticks could and should be bought over to the main series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could take or leave Sticks. I like her well enough. However, the real crying shame of Boom's loss would be the disappearance of their version of Tails. 

He's too perfect. I like the others for what they are for Boom just fine but what they did with Tails is just too excellent to fade away.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jack the Rookie said:

I hope not, it's worse than Sonic being stuck in a ship, Sonic being stuck... in a town.

Not exactly for him to live in but to visit once in a while.

32 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Not exactly for him to live in but to visit once in a while.

Honestly I don't like the idea, if it's the characters from Rise of Lyric, that could be interesting, but the secondary characters from the cartoon are mostly annoying and useless. Sorry.

I'd rather have Ian's creations, the AoStH characters and Freedom Fighters in a small role to populate the world.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

Honestly I don't like the idea, if it's the characters from Rise of Lyric, that could be interesting, but the secondary characters from the cartoon are mostly annoying and useless. Sorry.

I'd rather have Ian's creations, the AoStH characters and Freedom Fighters in a small role to populate the world.

I agree but they could probably change their characters to be less annoying.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

I agree but they could probably change their characters to be less annoying.

This I agree, I mean Ian improved game characters like Silver and Big and Omega, so he could do that with those mobians as well.

One thing that I would like to see, if there is really more freedom and less mandates this time around, are alternate versions of the characters, I mean, they did it in Boom, so why not here? Either a different dimension where Sonic & co. created the Freedom Fighters (leaving the main dimension based around the game universe) with Sally & co. , or maybe future versions of them, or the most interesting idea: a different dimension where Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy are evil and conquered the world, and they are fought by a resistance, made of, wait for it... Sally and the SatAM Freedom Fighters, still leaving the main universe without any versions of Sally, Antoine, Rotor, etc. I got this idea from an upcoming CW web-series cartoon "Freedom Fighters: The Ray", where the war was won by Nazis and a resistance fights against evil versions of Green Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl. It sounds really exciting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

1 hour ago, Jack the Rookie said:

or the most interesting idea: a different dimension where Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy are evil and conquered the world, and they are fought by a resistance, made of, wait for it... Sally and the SatAM Freedom Fighters, still leaving the main universe without any versions of Sally, Antoine, Rotor, etc. I got this idea from an upcoming CW web-series cartoon "Freedom Fighters: The Ray", where the war was won by Nazis and a resistance fights against evil versions of Green Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl. It sounds really exciting.

Eh, this kinda falls in the old Archie hole of "THIS IS A REFFERENCE TO SOMETHING CURRENT!" that I don't think anyone really wants to see return.

I honestly would just like the see the FF as a Chaotix style team maybe even drop the "Freedom Fighter" name since they aren't at war. Best comparison I can think of is  The Mutanimals Especially the IDW version where they were introduced one by one throughout the series and eventually formed their own team.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

That idea sounds near identical to an episode of Power Rangers Ninja Storm where Tori finds herself in an alternate dimension where the Rangers are evil and everyone is scared of them. I liked that episode, so I think an arc like that could work, though maybe Eggman could be the leader of the Freedom Fighters - just to add that bit more of a twist. In fact, while we're at it, there's a few other concepts from Rangers that'd do well for Sonic, I would think.

• Nice Smile 1

31 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

That idea sounds near identical to an episode of Power Rangers Ninja Storm where Tori finds herself in an alternate dimension where the Rangers are evil and everyone is scared of them. I liked that episode, so I think an arc like that could work, though maybe Eggman could be the leader of the Freedom Fighters - just to add that bit more of a twist. In fact, while we're at it, there's a few other concepts from Rangers that'd do well for Sonic, I would think.

Yeah I remember that episode, so yes like that, but instead of having the bad guys as heroes, which is kinda predictable, you'd have Sally and friends.

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Eh, this kinda falls in the old Archie hole of "THIS IS A REFFERENCE TO SOMETHING CURRENT!" that I don't think anyone really wants to see return.

I honestly would just like the see the FF as a Chaotix style team maybe even drop the "Freedom Fighter" name since they aren't at war. Best comparison I can think of is  The Mutanimals Especially the IDW version where they were introduced one by one throughout the series and eventually formed their own team.

Penders doesn't have the exlclusive to evil versions of the characters, he did his own spin, and then Evil Sonic turned on-screen into Scourge, so they are off-limits, but other alternate versions of the characters? Nope, Boom did it, heck even the Boom continuity itself is an alternate Sonic. They said they have more freedom this time around.

I would also like a crossover with NiGHTS, integrated into a main arc, that would be awesome!

• Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm sorry but this is all stuff I've already said and admitted to. I used it as an example of why I didn't and don't like the kind of character Archie Sonic is. I'm really not sure what it is you're trying to get across to me here.

Just a more elaborate way of agreeing to disagree.:D

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Just a more elaborate way of agreeing to disagree.:D

Oh alright. ?

So, people are saying tomorrow's annpuncement might be a Forces adaptation in IDW's comics.

Would you like it? (I would)

I'd be fine with it as long as it's like a standalone mini-series or something. Like how Archie did that one Lost World tie-in issue that was completely separate from the main series.

If the new ongoing comic is just a Forces adaptation, though, then I'd be annoyed.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jack the Rookie said:

Penders doesn't have the exlclusive to evil versions of the characters, he did his own spin, and then Evil Sonic turned on-screen into Scourge, so they are off-limits, but other alternate versions of the characters? Nope, Boom did it, heck even the Boom continuity itself is an alternate Sonic. They said they have more freedom this time around.

I...wasn't talking about Scourge? I meant that an alternate Universe deriving so heavily from pop culture, in this case this years Arrowverse crossover, is a lot like the Alternate Zones of Archie always being Pop Culture references and I think everyone would rather avoid that.

I'd be fine with it as long as it's like a standalone mini-series or something. Like how Archie did that one Lost World tie-in issue that was completely separate from the main series.

This is how all Adaptations should be done BTW. Stand Alone Mini maybe canon maybe not either way self contained and not required reading. Side Note I seriously doubt the "Continuity IDW controls With no Classic Sonic" would be a Forces Adaptation.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

35 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Side Note I seriously doubt the "Continuity IDW controls With no Classic Sonic" would be a Forces Adaptation.

Eh, maybe. But then again, Classic seems to be the most superfluous part of Forces, so they could possibly do a semi-adaptation that only involves Modern and Buddy. Unless Sega wouldn't allow that. 

Dunno. I don't really think the "big announcement" has anything to do with the IDW comic anyway, but still. 

I can $100% guarantee the announcement tomorrow isn't a Forces adaptation, not if they were asking for people's opinion on whether it should be done in the first place yesterday.

It would be a terrible way to kick of a comic series, straight into an adaptation.

Yes promotion and advertising is a thing but this is a brand new comic series, they really need to do the world building and character introductions etc before getting into any adaptations of anything. While we are all fans, and a good deal of the initial sales will likely be people that have heard of Sonic, they still need to consider those that pick up the title without prior knowledge.

Plus I'm sure they don't want another Boom on their hands where they decide to adapt it and advertise it as a "hit" etc and then have it all blow up in their faces. Yes by April we will know if Forces is any good, but they have to plan months in advance, so if Forces is good and worth an adaption it will likely be later in the year rather than near it's April debut I imagine. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Also, if Forces is the first arc of the comic, that kind of makes any other story pale in comparison. Eggman ruled the world, and the good guys restored that freedom. He can try to get that back, but for the first story of a comic being that restoration... Unless you can do some real good story concepts and manage to make an interesting case for HOW Eggman reclaims some of the world from the good guys, it'd sort of end up like a strategy game where position A is taken over, the reclaimed, but position B is then took over, then reclaimed, and so on and so on.

Nothing would really hit that first story no matter how hard it tried.

• Thumbs Up 3

Question, can IDW ever put The Nocturne (AKA The Dark Brotherhood) in the books? coz its nothing to do with penders Dark Legion and they belong to SEGA outright, he never won that argument right?

10 minutes ago, leemour84 said:

Question, can IDW ever put The Nocturne (AKA The Dark Brotherhood) in the books? coz its nothing to do with penders Dark Legion and they belong to SEGA outright, he never won that argument right?

Try telling Penders that. I don't know if SEGA wants to take that chance

• Thumbs Up 1

I was under the assumption it was Archie that was hesitant not Sega. In fact I'm pretty sure when asked previously Sega stated the material was theirs and they could use it whenever they wanted. Or perhaps it was Ian who said it was useable but they wouldn't be due to "reasons".

Edit : Something nagging thing that crossed my mind that perhaps our local lore people may know, who designed or created the Freedom Fighters? I know some of them were mentioned as early as the Sonic Bible, and a couple were redesigned from the animal friends in the Sonic 1 manual. But who did it? Someone at Sega? Someone at DiC? Couldn't find much on it at Retro which is odd.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I was under the assumption it was Archie that was hesitant not Sega. In fact I'm pretty sure when asked previously Sega stated the material was theirs and they could use it whenever they wanted. Or perhaps it was Ian who said it was useable but they wouldn't be due to "reasons".

Edit : Something nagging thing that crossed my mind that perhaps our local lore people may know, who designed or created the Freedom Fighters? I know some of them were mentioned as early as the Sonic Bible, and a couple were redesigned from the animal friends in the Sonic 1 manual. But who did it? Someone at Sega? Someone at DiC? Couldn't find much on it at Retro which is odd.

Considering the design process for them started before they were retooled to even be in a Sonic show, their creator credits fall solely on DiC. Finding individual creators for animated shows is a nightmare unless it's very well defined who the creative staff are. 

• Nice Smile 1

18 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Considering the design process for them started before they were retooled to even be in a Sonic show, their creator credits fall solely on DiC. Finding individual creators for animated shows is a nightmare unless it's very well defined who the creative staff are. 

Ahh I see, in saying that I assume that contracts etc would have been in place where everything created for the show would belong to Sega tho wouldn't they. None of that legal loophole like with old Penders.

Besides Ben Hurst who sadly passed away much too soon for his age, I wonder if there are any other creators from the show who could be tracked down and receptive to questions. Perhaps it's time to try find out who did do some of that old design work. 

Topic for another page perhaps, I'm sure they will use the Freedom Fighters in IDW's comic if it fits with their vision for the series regardless of details like that, especially if the rights lay safely with Sega.

• Nice Smile 1